PDA

View Full Version : Homemade suppressor

Shooter McNasty
02-08-2012, 05:40 PM
Please Forgive me If someone else axed this question. Can I do this in The Peoples Democratic Republic of Michigan?? Ive seen enough plans on the Inter Web to give it a shot.

THanks

Shyster
02-08-2012, 06:57 PM
You have to fill out an ATF Form 1 and there are certain requirements such as engraving your name (or the Trust's name if you go that route) on the device. You also have to pay for a $200 tax stamp just like submitting a Form 4.

jmanz6
02-08-2012, 07:02 PM
I have thought about going this route as well. I have access to the equipment and the ability to turn one out, but what if my "design" doesn't work like I want it to? Could I revise it without paying another $200? Too much hassle for me. I think I'm just going to buy one premade with a known performance.

rjrivero
02-08-2012, 07:28 PM
Constructing a suppressor is a one time deal per $200 Transfer tax. You have ONE shot at it, so make sure the plans you "copy" are good for your application.

You can NOT have any extra parts "left over" after completing a suppressor on a Form 1 (5320.1).

That means no spare end caps, no spare baffles, no spare TUBES. That said, theres nothing "magic" about making one. If you have a lathe and some tools, it's not hard to make it happen.

Engraving has specific requirements that are shared with all Title 2 firearms. The letters must be standard, at least 1/16" tall, .003" deep. You must include the Name, City, St., Model Number and Serial number.

Reading the silencersmithing forum at silencertalk.com is a good resource, but those guys are a "tight group."