PDA

View Full Version : New Kahr CM9 report

jimbos
02-14-2012, 04:57 PM
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-umQV6TVj2rI/TzqlaGtHdCI/AAAAAAAAAtE/5PApmZoCp0U/s720/20120214120826.jpg?gl=US

The pic is about 75 rounds at 15 feet unsupported.

I pulled the trigger 150 times and 150 times it went boom. I shot about equal number of rounds of Remington UMC, Federal, Theammoguy's reloads, and 6 Speer Gold Dot short barrel defense rounds WITHOUT one FTE, FTF, I slingshotted rounds into the chamber(which the gun is supposed to have trouble doing), I used the slide lock, everything worked as it should with everything feeding and ejecting 100%.

The gun does have a bite to it and it's not a soft shooter, but the damn thing is accurate as hell once you use proper trigger control.

I started out shooting supported at 21 feet and after a mag or so was shooting patterned bulleyes and ragged holes. I just wanted a feel for the sights.

I then brought the target in to 15 which is what the picture is above and shot unsupported and just destroyed a 5 inch shoot and glow target.

Couple of thoughts.....1. It definitively is not a range gun but a reliable pocket protection gun which I will carry starting tomorrow, and which is what I bought it for. No issue for me in this department.

2. Kahr should be ashamed of themselves at the horrible fit of these mags in the gun. That is just disgustingly pitiful and shouldn't be accepted from a company trying to portray themselves as a top flight gun manufacturer.
I own a couple of Sigs, a Springfield Loaded, even a Bersa and the mags and fit are head and shoulders above what Kahr is trying to put out.

Overall I like the gun and it's what I expected and at a good price $360.00 plus tax new. A well functioning personal protection pocket gun.

When I got home from the range, my gripall Hogue jr and Desantis SuperFly was waiting on the porch from Midway. They look like great fits and will enhance the use of the gun.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-WWVmhhWZ4DI/TzrZptupKaI/AAAAAAAAAtU/6-vqCoVj8eo/s720/20120214165957.jpg?gl=US

tworinger
02-14-2012, 09:18 PM
was looking at one for the wife but,think she wants the cw9 thanks for the reveiw

usp45_freak
02-25-2012, 10:26 PM
where did you find that for $360.00 new?

jimbos
02-25-2012, 10:37 PM
Sear Arms, he posts on this site.....$390 out the door, so actually it was closer to $365.

Still that was as cheap as I could find it online and then pay for the shipping and FFL.

JimA
02-26-2012, 10:26 AM
2. Kahr should be ashamed of themselves at the horrible fit of these mags in the gun. That is just disgustingly pitiful and shouldn't be accepted from a company trying to portray themselves as a top flight gun manufacturer.
I own a couple of Sigs, a Springfield Loaded, even a Bersa and the mags and fit are head and shoulders above what Kahr is trying to put out.

What is the problem with the mag fit??

jimbos
02-26-2012, 11:47 AM
What is the problem with the mag fit??

By chance, have you seen the flush fit when inserted on the Sig P238 mag for example with the mag tight to bottom of the handle?

I'm sure it's harmless, and of course it doesn't affect the function of the gun in any way, shape or form, but IMO it just looks sloppy, and lacks attention to detail and for a Kahr gun they can do much better then that.

I knew how the mag fit going in, I just wanted to give a detailed report on the gun. It just seems silly to me.

http://www.customizedcreationz.com/images/600_CCAS_P238_Ambi_Safety.jpg

http://i56.tinypic.com/15x5lbb.jpg

JDG
02-26-2012, 07:51 PM
The mags fit alright, its the steel base that looks bad. A plastic CW9 base will look better, as it fills in the extra mag hangover. If it went flush, you would loose a round in an already low cap gun. Yeah, it looks crappy with the steel base....but it is what it is. Love my CW9!! Amazing accuracy for such a small gun. My only complaint is a 50% no slide lock on empty, but really dont care about that feature to start with.
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b278/JDG357/cw9mag001.jpg

jimbos
02-26-2012, 09:27 PM
The mags fit alright, its the steel base that looks bad. A plastic CW9 base will look better, as it fills in the extra mag hangover. If it went flush, you would loose a round in an already low cap gun. Yeah, it looks crappy with the steel base....but it is what it is. Love my CW9!! Amazing accuracy for such a small gun. My only complaint is a 50% no slide lock on empty, but really dont care about that feature to start with.
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b278/JDG357/cw9mag001.jpg

I'm not trying to make it sound like I'm bashing it, as it is a nice accurate and so far reliable gun which is what counts. I'm just shaking my head a bit over the mags is all.

I guess you could buy the pinky extension and sand it down a bit to make it fit, but why?

JDG
02-26-2012, 09:59 PM
Its like the mags were designed for the plastic base...The steel ones do look like an after thought.

jimbos
02-28-2012, 12:41 PM
Well, I ripped another 50 rounds of various makes through the CM9, and a couple mags of Gold Dot short barrel defensive ammo without a single hitch. So this puts me over Kahr's recommended breakin period.

After a cleaning this one IMO, is ready to go as a summer pocket carry weapon.

It's just accurate as all heck, and I have no complaints in the reliability department, which is what it's all about. It's a good gun for the price and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a light, pocket sized or easily concealable IWB 9mm.

rambro
03-06-2012, 02:04 AM
i for one appreciate the pic and the critique, it has merit, they could have made the grip go down another 1/8th of an inch, it is unsightly. I still want and will likely buy one of these soon, and have it proofed for summer carry in july and august as my first pocket gun.

This is what reviews are all about, you have to nit pick to have enough ammo to say one gun is better than another gun, if you are comparing two or more guns that are excellent. Its all about the details, after they show they are made well and function well. A well placed release vs weird one, smooth safety vs grabby one. Good sight vs bad sights, sure you can replace them, but review a gun with what it has etc.

Good review. Glad you like it. It will be my first kahr, kinda glad i didnt jump on the pm9 a few years back, though i still might get a pm if i am flush with cash the week i order, nice to know i can get virtually the same gun much cheaper. I kinda want night sights.

jimbos
03-06-2012, 10:37 AM
i for one appreciate the pic and the critique, it has merit, they could have made the grip go down another 1/8th of an inch, it is unsightly. I still want and will likely buy one of these soon, and have it proofed for summer carry in july and august as my first pocket gun.

This is what reviews are all about, you have to nit pick to have enough ammo to say one gun is better than another gun, if you are comparing two or more guns that are excellent. Its all about the details, after they show they are made well and function well. A well placed release vs weird one, smooth safety vs grabby one. Good sight vs bad sights, sure you can replace them, but review a gun with what it has etc.

Good review. Glad you like it. It will be my first kahr, kinda glad i didnt jump on the pm9 a few years back, though i still might get a pm if i am flush with cash the week i order, nice to know i can get virtually the same gun much cheaper. I kinda want night sights.

Keep your eyes open, I think these guns are still coming down in price. I seen a post on the Kahr site yesterday of someone paying $365 out the door somewhere.

I think you'll really like it for summer carry. I carried it all day yesterday and never knew it was there. I still want to get more rounds through it in the near future to help with the confidence level.

Dooger
04-12-2012, 02:15 AM
Dang it... Now I don't know which one I want.... PM vs. CM. the only thing that spooks me about them is the recoil and not being a "range gun". I really don't want a gun I don't like to train with. Not sure if the trigger is up my alley either.

jimbos
04-12-2012, 08:46 AM
Dang it... Now I don't know which one I want.... PM vs. CM. the only thing that spooks me about them is the recoil and not being a "range gun". I really don't want a gun I don't like to train with. Not sure if the trigger is up my alley either.

It's not one of those guns where you shoot 50 and you've had enough. It's rather easy actually. That recoil spring is a brute to work the slide by hand, but it does work to soften the recoil.

Well dang, I just found this...Hickok doing some comparisons. I haven't watched it yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6APoh3xnGWs&list=UUvB3solmhqtgDeLpD-yTtfg&index=2&feature=plcp

Leader
04-12-2012, 10:01 AM

The recoil isn't as bad as for a Kel-Tec PF-9.
Of course, it weighs more then a PF-9 too. (Even though it's smaller)
My wife can comfortably shoot either my Kahr P9 or the PM9.

I bought the PM because I found a used one for what I thought was a good price. I fully intended to buy a new CM9 until I found it.

jimbos
04-14-2012, 01:35 PM
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii69/pyrohafe/cm-chart.jpg

I found this.

JDG
04-15-2012, 07:20 AM

These Kahrs are built to shoot, unlike a KelTec that will form burrs on the slide after 500rds. Recoil is very managable in a 9mm platform, and I can shoot my CW9 all day if I had the ammo, and not regret it. Accuracy is stellar, and hitting a 14"x 11" steel target at 75yrds is very easy.

Veteran
04-16-2012, 12:31 PM
I got a PM-9, no regrets.