PDA

View Full Version : Rock Island Armory 1911A1 FS 9MM GI review

joepistol
02-17-2012, 01:48 AM
I was impressed with the appearance and part fitting on my 1911 GI 9mm pistol. I wanted to purchase a Tactical version but none were available. So far I've put 350+ rounds through it,the magazine (stamped Checkmate) doesn't want to hold 9 rounds.It functions well with 8 or less, but frequent stovepipe type misfeeds result when 9 rounds are loaded..usually.There have been times I could load & fire all 9 rounds without incident, but too often the mag spits out 1 or 2 rounds from the mag after the first of 9 loaded rounds is fired. As the pistol came with only 1 mag, I soon started looking for extras, only to learn they are currently hard to find. Accuracy was a pleasant surprise... remarkable even, despite the small GI sights on my model. Hollowpoint bullets tend to hang up on the frame, instead of feeding into the chamber. Again, after persistence attempts, I was able to run 3 magazines of hollowpoints without hangups. A ramp polish may be in order. No feed problems with roundnose rounds. In summary, despite the feed problems and magazine issues,I feel this is a very good to great pistol for the $$$.The owners manual does state a 500 round break-in is needed..I'm hoping a different mag may resolve previously mentioned issues. Have some on order,will wait till they arrive before shooting it again. My report..so far...Joepistol...:pistols:

durus5995
02-17-2012, 02:24 AM
How was the grip safety on yours? I had one in 45 and the corner of the grip safety would dig into the part above the webbing on my hand when i shot it.

joepistol
02-17-2012, 09:22 AM
I have not noticed the grip safety..which means that it has not caused me any problems or discomfort 8-) I wanted to try leaving this pistol "as is" and not start the part swapping/ trips to the gunsmith, but every time I shoot it, I think, about a few mods I'd like to make (triggerwork, sights, refinish) :idea2:... :nono: ...:grin:... Joepistol... :pistols:

claybuster
02-17-2012, 12:06 PM
I have read that these (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=20448/avs|Make_3=1911/Product/-SPRINGFIELD-MAGAZINES-for-1911-AUTO) magazines fix most feed issues in the RIA 9mm guns. Notice the front of the magazine is dimpled. I have no first hand experience though as the Wilson's worked fine in mine.

This is the other part that seems to help a lot. EGW Raised Mag Catch (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=27432/avs%7CMake_3=1911/avs%7CManufacturer_1=EGW/Product/1911-AUTO-HEAVY-DUTY-MAGAZINE-CATCH)

You could order one and try it out and return it if it sucks.

shifty_85
02-17-2012, 02:24 PM
sounds like thats alot og mag issue. i have a RIA tac .45 FS and had 0 issues out of the box. threw all 100 rounds fine. and bullet guys HP's feed fine as well. i have a mecgar mag and a CMC match mag. as well as 2 cheap 7 rounders.

claybuster
02-17-2012, 02:28 PM
sounds like thats alot og mag issue. i have a RIA tac .45 FS and had 0 issues out of the box. threw all 100 rounds fine. and bullet guys HP's feed fine as well. i have a mecgar mag and a CMC match mag. as well as 2 cheap 7 rounders.

A .45ACP 1911 is a whole lot different than a 9MM 1911 Shifty

shifty_85
02-18-2012, 06:15 PM
A .45ACP 1911 is a whole lot different than a 9MM 1911 Shifty

i figured as much but just telling him how my .45 acted out of the box

Knightrider03m
02-18-2012, 07:29 PM
I heard that the 9mm didnt take hps well in those

aaron
02-24-2012, 07:56 AM
I rented the 9mm at Advanced Ranges in Burton. What a nice shooting pistol. Very little recoil, you could stay on target with 1 hand.

joepistol
02-27-2012, 09:48 AM
Having passed the 500 round mark, decided to update the original post to report my experience. About 400 rounds, pistol/mag seemed to "break in" and the factory mag spring seems to have relaxed a bit, as I can now load & shoot all 9 rounds using roundnose cast or FMJ bullets. Hollowpoints still can cause feed problems, though has become better with use ( feed ramp wearing in ?) At this time, haven't put any effort in polishing ramp (don't shoot hp rounds that often) but obtained extra magazines (Mec-Gar brand) which are easier to load (than OEM Checkmate) and were a good deal @ $18.50 ea. from C.T.D.) I wrote a review of these mags in another post. The finish on my RIA has shown a little wear on the frame,from the slide despite my use of a grease on the surfaces, but the exterior finish " parkerizing" (?) is holding up better than I expected. I have not used it as a carry gun though,so holster contact may accelerate finish wear. Overall I'm pleased with the RocK Island Armory offering, and would consider purchasing a commander sized 9mm or 45 if/when they are availiable. Finding one in stock may be a challenge. I'm slowly adjusting to shooting/hitting the target with the GI sights on this model,only wish I'd ordered the Tactical when I started looking at them.
That's my :twocents:..Joepistol..:pistols: