PDA

View Full Version : Pheasant Heaven

halfacop
11-11-2006, 05:17 PM
What a great day - does it get any better than a morning out with your dog and favorite bangstick?

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p23/halfacop/Picture075.jpg

Tallbear
11-11-2006, 08:05 PM
Looks like you had a good time. Wish I couldhave been with you. Been awhile since I've done pheasant.

halfacop
11-11-2006, 08:34 PM
Thats one thing I never miss - a good pheasant hunt. At this moment I am gearing up for my 1st of 2 trips to Iowa this year. Probably try to get to South Dakota again next year.

That dog right there is the best damn pheasant dog I have ever hunted over. He is 6 now and getting older by the day it seems. I do not look forward to the day I take him for his last hunt - my very best friend!

The shotgun is a model 1200 Winchester. I was lucky to have the chance to own it as it belonged to one of the best hunting partners a man could ask for. Lynn Stollings. He passed away almost 4 years ago now, way to young. It is a pleasure to hunt with a fine firearm owned by as fine a man that could walk this planet. RIP

Everyone should get out there and enjoy the outdoors with friends and families and great gun dogs. It's time that you will never regret!

Batman
11-12-2006, 12:27 AM
Here's my dog Lucy and I in South Dakota last weekend. Had a great time until she stepped in a gofer hole and blew out her knee. Now I'm faced with a $2,000 surgery to fix her. She's 3.5 years old so she's worth it. Hunting was excellent. We flushed over 100 birds each day and the last day we pushed a stripped corn field and has over 300 flush. Great place.

Michigan could be great again but some things would have to change. Land owners would need to do three things. First, cut down every bush and tree in their fence rows and plant them in thick grass (then don't cut it). This provides habitat and removes the trees that allows hawks and other birds of pray to rest and stalk. Second, shoot or trap every predator you can. This is critical to allow the pheasants to successfully raise broods. Finally, release tons of hens. Many of the land owners do these three things and they have tons of birds.

Batman
11-12-2006, 12:37 AM
Here is a pics of the fence rows that we hunted. Note the lack of trees and brush! Note how wide it is. There is a Suburban in the distance where our blocker were. We flushed over 40 birds in the last 75 yards of this fence row.

LivoniaDan
11-12-2006, 02:20 AM
CONGRATS... Been hunting several time for pheasant..... didn't think there were any left in the wild.... NEVER --- NEVER seen one
Wish I were with you....

halfacop
11-12-2006, 07:54 AM
Thanks - yeah there are pockets of birds in this state, damn few but they are there. This state use to rock for pheasant when my dad was a kid. I agree with Batman. Landowners/farmers are the key to a healthy population of birds.

You'll notice (unofficially of course) when you hunt in South Dakota the farmers that run these hunting operations carry shotguns with them year round in vehicles. They shoot every hawk, racoon, coyote, fox, owl etc. they see on the spot. :fa:

Good land managment and predator managment is a must. This state needs to decide what is more important, having plenty of hawks flying around or a healthy huntable population of pheasants again. You tell me what sells more licenses?

Batman - sorry to hear about Lucy. I hope she recovers and returns by your side in the field very soon.

halfacop
11-12-2006, 08:06 AM
Here we are in South Dakota a few years ago. The gentlemen on my left (Lynn) was the former owner of the shotgun I discussed earlier, Dad is on my right and my best friend (Lynn's Son) on the end. Birds galore!

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p23/halfacop/SSSD.jpg

If you own a bird dog, love pheasant hunting or just spending time with Friends and family - you owe yourself a trip to S.D.

halfacop
11-12-2006, 08:09 AM
Batman - where abouts or who with did you hunt in S.D?

fbuckner
11-12-2006, 09:17 AM
I would also like to see the return of the birds here in this state. Here are some downfalls to the fences us farmers have. If the grass it tall the cattle push the fence to get it. the grass as the seasons pass the rotting of the grass tends to rot the fence. no fence, cows get out cows get out cars hit cows, cars hit cows car owner files suit on farmer. i personally thing that the demise of alot of the birds is the depletion of croplands for condos swap we are under attack from. I really wish this state would do the same as others do and really protect the landowner and not tax him off his land until he sells to a developer

Garbo
11-12-2006, 10:10 AM
CONGRATS... Been hunting several time for pheasant..... didn't think there were any left in the wild.... NEVER --- NEVER seen one
Wish I were with you....

I'm looking for the pic here but about 6 months ago i had one sitting here in my driveway (pheasant),,, i literally could have grabbed it by hand as it took off. Right here in Livonia. Happen to have my camera phone with me. Last october a neighbor came pounding on my door saying i had a two point in my back yard,, so i told him to sober up but just in case i had to check,, so when i went back there i told him that he really needs to sober up cause thats a 4 pointe!!! this is right behind wonderland mall (or where it was) 3 miles from hines or the bell creek areas where they have been seen before. what was frushtrating is that i just came back from a 4 day trip and got skunked,, and here i was in my back yard witha 4 pt 25 feet from me,, got great pics of that too and even with those nobody believed me lol.

halfacop
11-12-2006, 11:47 AM
Find em and post em - lier!:grin:

halfacop
11-12-2006, 12:08 PM
I would also like to see the return of the birds here in this state. Here are some downfalls to the fences us farmers have. If the grass it tall the cattle push the fence to get it. the grass as the seasons pass the rotting of the grass tends to rot the fence. no fence, cows get out cows get out cars hit cows, cars hit cows car owner files suit on farmer. i personally thing that the demise of alot of the birds is the depletion of croplands for condos swap we are under attack from. I really wish this state would do the same as others do and really protect the landowner and not tax him off his land until he sells to a developer

Oh yes, Don't get me wrong. Fences are just a piece of what needs to be improved upon. I think what we meant actually is that most farmers farm right up to the edge of the fences these days and leave nothing for cover. Trust me on the cows out thing - I am an Animal Control Officer - I know your problems and liabilities.

There is no ONE answer. The state needs to do something instead of just worry about how many licenses get sold. As long as they are selling enough liceneses they won't do ****. (IE. our deer)