PDA

View Full Version : Dan Wesson CCO 1911 Break-In & Cleaning

Marcus
02-18-2012, 10:55 PM
FINALLY got a chance to get to the range today to break-in my new DW CCO. I bought this with the plan on carrying it as more concealable single stack .45 then my XDm is. I have no prior ownership with a 1911 as this is my first.

First impression, It carries very well. The ergonomics of a 1911 is what sold me on an XDM .45 4.5" barrel. However, this slenderness of the DW compared to the double stack pistol makes a remarkable difference in comfort, even with the realative same barrel length.

I brought 250 rounds of USAAMMO FMJ to the range to give the CCO a workout. Taking the manufacturer instructions literally, I oiled the rails every 50 rounds to satisfy the "lubricate liberally during break-in" instruction manual. I have heard of tight-1911s getting bound up on breakin before. After the first 50 rounds there was a remarkable smoothness in the slide that set in. It really was a slick-operating by the end of.the session with ZERO issues. I ran two mags of golden saber HP just to finish up and it ran flawlessly. At 10 yards, the spread is about the size of a golf ball-left of center. As the grip is much smaller then my XDm, I think this may be chalked up to my technique. My XDM shoots about the size of a lemon at this distance. Both guns I'm sure are more accurate then me.

Today was my first time cleaning a 1911. It's a much more involved process then my XDm is. I can strip, and reassemble my XDM in the dark in 20 seconds. The CCO is a very precision machine, and it took much more care to POP out/reinstall all of the parts.

With the lightness of.the anodized alloy frame, compact size of the officer grip/commander slide, the CCO will allow me to comforably carry a .45 that I feel very intuitive with. The crisp triiger of a SA auto gives me a lot of confidence in the accurate delivery of my shot placement. Looking forward to training and becoming more familiar with the maintainence and workings of the 1911 platform.

Peace out.

Batman
02-19-2012, 08:41 PM
I have two DW 1911. Both run like race horses. Thanks.

bear300us
02-19-2012, 09:19 PM
I have 2 also a PM7 an a Bobtail Both are 08 models .,I would love to get a Valor some day

Marcus
02-19-2012, 09:39 PM
Nice guys...I like the full size versions too. I'll get another for sure. The thing is about the Dan Wessons, I see comparable quality with the Ed Browns & Wilsons for a lot less money.

When it comes to something a Springfield Loaded (which is a great value) or a Kimber (which seems to emphasis appearance). To get a DW, It takes a couple hundred bucks more to reach the next level.