PDA

View Full Version : "M1 for Vets" Match - Dec 9, 2006

KayL
11-12-2006, 10:11 AM
A friend of mine is hosting an M1 for Vets Garand match at the Muskegon Pistol and Rifle Club in Holton, MI on December 9, 2006.

Rifles used are as-issued M1 Garand rifle or M1903 Springfield. Bring your own ammo or purchase for $5.00 per box of 20. AR15s are allowed but are not eligible for awards. $20.00 entry, no pre-registration. $15 of entry fee goes to the vet program. Sign-up 9:00am. See www.muskegonprc.org (http://www.muskegonprc.org) for a map to the club (go to 'Our Facilities', then there's a hotlink under Outdoor Range, on the street address).

Match held rain or shine. There is no shelter. Bring your own food and water.

It is a fun match for a very worthy cause. Contact match director Steve Larson at 616-706-5839 or email M-1guy(at)sbcglobal.net for more info.

I can't attach the flyer because it is too large, sorry. However, if you email or PM me with your email address, I will send you the .pdf which is 743kb.

Knimrod
11-12-2006, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the flyer Kay. Sounds like a lot of fun.. I'm going to try and make it to this one.

"The M1 for Vets program was started in Nov. of 2005 to provide a M1 rifle for our returning vets from the war on terror. To date this nationwide program has presented 51 rifles with 8 more being readied."

You can download the flyer here: http://www.migunowners.org/temp/M1s_for_Vets_Flyer.pdf

Kimber45
11-12-2006, 05:56 PM
I'd love to shoot this one Kay but We'll be in Florida.

appliancebrad
11-12-2006, 06:30 PM
Another retail Saturday in December.

Sorry Kay. I hope to see you at the Chosin.

KayL
11-12-2006, 09:00 PM
Well drat, guys. It sounds like a good time, and with the CCRC Frozen Chosin the weekend before, the old M1 will get some exercise. Plus you get to wear all your old military gear.

If you can't make this match, Steve is also working on getting a location and date for another G-S-M Master Clinic sometime around late spring. This clinic was a hit. See the link at the CMP for an article I wrote on it. Lots of pictures at the bottom of the article.

http://www.odcmp.org/0706/default.asp?page=GSM_MI

Maranatha
11-12-2006, 10:48 PM
I'm going to try and make it Kay, I think I'll need to leave by 5 am to get there in time so depending on the weather???.

KayL
12-05-2006, 09:10 PM
Just a reminder, this Saturday is the M1 for Vets match at the Muskegon Pistol and Rifle Club in Holton. Steve, the match director, came to our CCRC Frozen Chosin with a car-load of guys, where he took 2nd place. He said he has someone building an M1 to present to a local vet and it's almost done. We're hoping for good weather.

appliancebrad
12-06-2006, 09:07 AM
If you can't make it, they will also accept donations to the cause.

KayL
12-12-2006, 11:37 PM
Bitter cold with wind chills of about 15 degrees did not deter the record number of 30 dedicated shooters who wanted to be a part of this fantastic event. Temperatures may have been low but spirits were soaring. Match director Steve Larson stated that donations from the match were enough to provide for this rifle and to begin a second one.

Participants included 27 men, one woman, two junior men, and the match mascot Carlos the dog. When a local newspaper reporter came to do a story on the event, he was persuaded to sign up. The journalist had a great time shooting his first Garand match. After the match, everyone was treated to bowls of hot chili. CMP achievement pins were presented to the top shooters. Total possible score of 300. Winners were:

Garand match:
Gold – Dan McSorley 280-1
Silver – Bob Steketee 279-5
Silver – Phil Randall 277-4
Bronze – Steve Larson 271-3
Bronze – John Vermulen 267-0
Bronze – Jeff Humble 263-3
Bolt match:
Bronze – Dan McSorley 274-4

Thanks to all volunteers who helped by providing snow removal, flyer design, free publicity, and many hours of work.

KayL
02-10-2007, 09:41 AM
Here is a link to the brief article on MPRC's December M1 for Vets match in the CMP's on-line newsletter, The First Shot, Jan 07:

http://www.odcmp.org/0107/default.asp?page=MUSKEGON

It should be noted that since this article was posted, MPRC has raised enough money to finish a third rifle, with some large donations even coming from out of state.

And the M1 for Vets program is up to rifle number 74!

Roger Roney
02-10-2007, 01:05 PM
Here is a link to the brief article on MPRC's December M1 for Vets match...Good article. Gee, the authors' name sounds familiar. Can't quite place it. Is it someone we know? :lol:

Roger

KayL
02-10-2007, 02:13 PM
Eh, possibly. Just some media hounds looking for publicity for their dang causes.
Hey, when the pay is this low, you don't get world class help.
Come to the March match and you can be in the next one.