PDA

View Full Version : 14ft aluminum V bottom boat- big enough?

towman1
02-23-2012, 09:04 PM
Is a 14ft aluminum V bottom boat with a 9.9hp Gamefisher motor enough boat for a calm day on the Detroit River?

whitehope77
02-23-2012, 09:28 PM
Yea but ,I would not go out on a crap day been out on a dingi with a 5 horse

towman1
02-23-2012, 10:53 PM
How did the 5hp handle in the current?

partdeux
02-23-2012, 11:01 PM
Wouldn't catch me out there in a boat that small. What looks calm, can turn wicked in the blink of an eye.

bear300us
02-24-2012, 07:02 AM
I wouldnt like going out in a shallow bottom cartop 14 but they do make deep 14'with long transoms that arent bad, Horse Island in Gibraltar used to rent boats an they had both 14 an 16footers. with 6 horse Johnsons or bring your own motor.

TomE
02-24-2012, 07:33 AM
No such thing as a calm day on that river. There are lots of really big boats on that river, that throw really big wakes.

mikethepike
02-24-2012, 10:43 AM
I wouldnt take anything smaller. You should be just fine. Ya, there are alot of big boats that do cast quite a wake from time to time, but stay out of the channel and it'll be fine. 1st thing in the morning till noon would be the calmest unless its walleye season and then its always choppy

wardog6t
02-24-2012, 12:25 PM
I fished last summer in a 14 with a 15hp Johnson. Pretty much the best advice I can give is this. If the flags are blowing in the wind don't go. If there is any S.E wind, Don't go. Be prepared to steer around big boats and big wakes. Make sure you have a backup plan if your motor breaks. I would recommend you put in at trenton. Do not go south of celeron until you're motor has proven to be fail safe. This way if your motor does break you can troll in to humbug or the metro park. Once you go past celeron you last chance is Pte Mouille..

Finally visit other forums like Michigan Sportsman or DWF and try to find other guys going the day you decide to go. They can give you great tips, locations and may even be able to help ya out if there is a problem. I met several guys out on the water and learned a few tricks and locations from them.

JohnJak
02-24-2012, 07:37 PM
I wouldnt take anything smaller. You should be just fine. Ya, there are alot of big boats that do cast quite a wake from time to time, but stay out of the channel and it'll be fine. 1st thing in the morning till noon would be the calmest unless its walleye season and then its always choppy
Well said.

XD40SC
02-24-2012, 07:59 PM
Is a 14ft aluminum V bottom boat with a 9.9hp Gamefisher motor enough boat for a calm day on the Detroit River?

Your just asking for a tragedy... Your boat is barely adequate and gamefishers are the worst made, most unreliable, pos engines ever made......bar none. If you think your gonna row when that POS quits running think again....The DR is dangerous place with very strong currents(on a calm day). Not trying to be a jack*****, but your thought process is flawed and the people telling you your gonna be fine are not gonna be in your boat without a paddle so it easy for them to say....."Oh, yes you'll be fine".

matt11
02-24-2012, 08:04 PM
There is a 8 knot current in the river. I had a 30 footer and there were a few times I was nervous, storms can kick up very fast and the weather changes, Remember, it takes a freighter over a mile to stop.

mikethepike
02-24-2012, 10:13 PM
Your just asking for a tragedy... Your boat is barely adequate and gamefishers are the worst made, most unreliable, pos engines ever made......bar none. If you think your gonna row when that POS quits running think again....The DR is dangerous place with very strong currents(on a calm day). Not trying to be a jack*****, but your thought process is flawed and the people telling you your gonna be fine are not gonna be in your boat without a paddle so it easy for them to say....."Oh, yes you'll be fine".

I traverse the river quite often in a 11' 2" dinghy going from boat club to marina or just for a cruise. Having a back up plan is always a good option.

A boaters safety class
A handheld radio
fully charged cell phone
a good anchor with alot of line
1st aid kit
A safety / i need help orange flag
a Audible device (like a horn or whistle)
a spotlight

I've towed plenty of people with my walleye boat and the Cruiser who happen to look like they need assistance or wave the orange flag. Not only would i hope somebody help me 1 day and return the favor, but its the right thing to do

XD40SC
02-24-2012, 11:34 PM
I traverse the river quite often in a 11' 2" dinghy going from boat club to marina or just for a cruise. Having a back up plan is always a good option.

A boaters safety class
A handheld radio
fully charged cell phone
a good anchor with alot of line
1st aid kit
A safety / i need help orange flag
a Audible device (like a horn or whistle)
a spotlight

I've my walleye boat and the Cruiser who happen to look like they need assistance or wave the orange flag. Not only would i hope somebody help me 1 day and return the favor, but its the right thing to do

Your post telling him things should be fine is/was reckless and totally bad advise. And further more nobody cares about you and your stuff and what you claim to do.... even if you are a self proclaimed expert at everything. I am just curious how much is "alot" of anchor line and a what is good anchor for the river to person with an old 14ft rowboat with an old clapped out motor? As an expert you should provide him detailed information otherwise your acting reckless again. Perhaps you should trying thinking before typing incomplete reckless expert advise that could result in the injury or possible death of the person your advising.

partdeux
02-25-2012, 07:53 AM
One thing I've learned after decades of boating, water is a fickle friend, unforgiving, and extremely dangerous. I'd dare to say that people are lulled into a sense of false security even faster than firearms.

TomE
02-25-2012, 09:56 AM
I used to handline on the 2 big rivers, mainly the Detroit, in a 16" Sea Nymph with a 25 Horse Spirit/Suzuki O/B.
It was wide and deep and I always felt safe, except it was wise to put the bow into the freighter wake which will sneak up on you.
There's not many boats out from 22:00 to 04:00

XD40SC
02-25-2012, 10:20 AM
I used to handline on the 2 big rivers, mainly the Detroit, in a 16" Sea Nymph with a 25 Horse Spirit/Suzuki O/B.
It was wide and deep and I always felt safe, except it was wise to put the bow into the freighter wake which will sneak up on you.
There's not many boats out from 22:00 to 04:00

Tom.... there is a HUGE difference between 16ft Sea Nymph with a 25hp Suzuki engine and a old 14ft row boat with 9hp Force/Gamefisher... So I believe your comparing apples to oranges.

mikethepike
02-25-2012, 10:41 AM
Your post telling him things should be fine is/was reckless and totally bad advise. And further more nobody cares about you and your stuff and what you claim to do.... even if you are a self proclaimed expert at everything. I am just curious how much is "alot" of anchor line and a what is good anchor for the river to person with an old 14ft rowboat with an old clapped out motor? As an expert you should provide him detailed information otherwise your acting reckless again. Perhaps you should trying thinking before typing incomplete reckless expert advise that could result in the injury or possible death of the person your advising.

I'm never claimed to be a self proclaimed expert, where in my posts did i claim that? I do have almost 30 years experience on the water, if that qualifies me in your mind as "expert" ..than ok. Using common sense when you do anything will save your life. You have a better chance being killed in a car accident less than 5 miles from your home than you do an occasional boat ride in sensible weather on the Trenton channel ...but you still drive a car everyday right?? . Like Wartdog6t says " If the flags are blowing in the wind don't go. If there is any S.E wind, Don't go. Be prepared to steer around big boats and big wakes. Make sure you have a backup plan if your motor breaks". The o.p was considering going out on a calm day, not the "perfect storm"

Have you personally inspected the op's motor / boat? How do you know what condition it is in? do you know for sure its "clapped out" (whatever that means)?? In my previous post i gave plenty of good solid basic boater advice for the jic scenario. All my advice would be covered in a basic boaters safety course as well. You would know that if you took 1...it also saves you 10% on your insurance

As far as an anchor you asked : i would recommend a 10 to 16 lb fluke-style anchor that will grab and hold the bottom with 100 ' of line. Proper anchoring technique would be letting out a 3 to 1 scope or more adjusting for conditions.

Also always wear a life jacket, and if the motor is all "clapped out" purchase some towing insurance from tow boat US for some peace of mind . Less than 50.00 for a year

offshoretroller
02-25-2012, 11:54 AM
I 2nd what MTP is saying--its not bad advice, looks like he's trying to help the guy out. Whys the XD guy so angry--lighten up bro!

I have a 14' sea nymph as well with a 9.9 yamaha. I stay in the Trenton channel out of the way of the big boats..heck when they come by , i put my bow into the wave and keep fishing. You just have to pick your days when you go and like othesr have said -when the flags are blowing , dont go out.

When them eyes are biting, i see people in 12' boats all the time. Maybe its all they have . Anytime you are near water , you should use yer smarts and wear a pfd, especially in that river

TomE
02-25-2012, 12:29 PM
Tom.... there is a HUGE difference between 16ft Sea Nymph with a 25hp Suzuki engine and a old 14ft row boat with 9hp Force/Gamefisher... So I believe your comparing apples to oranges.

Ya think?

sullyxlh
02-26-2012, 07:34 AM
As far as an anchor you asked : i would recommend a 10 to 16 lb fluke-style anchor that will grab and hold the bottom with 100 ' of line. Proper anchoring technique would be letting out a 3 to 1 scope or more adjusting for conditions.
Just to touch on this
Two things guaranteeing certain death on the river regarding anchors
one is dropping the anchor when tied off to the back of the boat
you won't even have the time to cut the line before the current sucks you under.
The other is dropping anchor over a hole amongst a bunch of drifters.........

sullyxlh
02-26-2012, 08:02 AM
Your just asking for a tragedy... Your boat is barely adequate and gamefishers are the worst made, most unreliable, pos engines ever made......bar none. If you think your gonna row when that POS quits running think again....The DR is dangerous place with very strong currents(on a calm day). Not trying to be a jack*****, but your thought process is flawed and the people telling you your gonna be fine are not gonna be in your boat without a paddle so it easy for them to say....."Oh, yes you'll be fine".No tragedy
You have to know the river but you need to respect it more than anything and never let your guard down with it.
Many times I've seen people out in canoes and kayaks
they'll launch at Elizabeth and hug the wall down to humbug play around and paddle back up.
The best one though was the two kids in a rubber raft(not an Achilles either) with pieces of 1x6 for paddles.....
Also the Rowers out in those "toothpick" boats rowing in the spring
So the river can be done in anything, just gotta know the limitations.
Currents are most prevalent in the mainstream, alot less out of it.
I ran a 12' deep V for years out there with no issues pulling wire or jigging.
The boat is more than adequate
Now the Gamefisher..I'm in agreement on that one...
If you go launch lower than where your fishing that way if your stuff breaks
you'll be able to navigate the current back to the launch instead of trying to figure a way to get back up to it..

TomE
02-26-2012, 08:39 AM
:thumbup:

mikethepike
02-26-2012, 11:42 AM
Just to touch on this
Two things guaranteeing certain death on the river regarding anchors
one is dropping the anchor when tied off to the back of the boat
you won't even have the time to cut the line before the current sucks you under.
The other is dropping anchor over a hole amongst a bunch of drifters.........

Thanks for clearing that up as well. I suggested the anchor in case the engine conks out and atleast you wont go floating off into the lake.

langenc
02-26-2012, 05:11 PM

Ill bet they are not as bad as the Chryslers of the early 80's fame. They were too heavy to make a good anchor.

TomE
02-26-2012, 06:40 PM
Oar may the Force be with ya, 'cause no one else will:hide:

matt11
02-26-2012, 06:49 PM
Oar may the Force be with ya, 'cause no one else will:hide:

Actually a captain is required to help a vessel in distress as long as it doesn't put his/her vessel in jeopardy...

TomE
02-26-2012, 07:17 PM
Actually a captain is required to help a vessel in distress as long as it doesn't put his/her vessel in jeopardy... Have you ever seen Star Wars, with the greeting, May the Force be with you?

Mercury has a old part brand out called Force that don't work very good.

I have towed many boats on Lacque Sainte Claire for free, even though I did repair for MMS

Howe many vessels have you helped Capt'n ?

matt11
02-26-2012, 07:21 PM
Have you ever seen Star Wars, with the greeting, May the Force be with you?

Mercury has a old part brand out called Force that don't work very good.

I have towed many boats on Lacque Sainte Claire for free, even though I did repair for MMS

Howe many vessels have you helped Capt'n ?

never saw the movie. I did have a mariner engine that I never had a problem with. made by merc. and yes I did have a capt lic and have helped vessels on distress, mostly on Eire.

TomE
02-26-2012, 07:23 PM
I've been on Erie, it was eerie with a west wind.

matt11
02-26-2012, 07:25 PM
I've been on Erie, it was eerie with a west wind.

Ive watched i grow 5 foot in a short time. an amazing lake, shallow.

mikethepike
02-26-2012, 07:32 PM
Ive watched i grow 5 foot in a short time. an amazing lake, shallow.

Those walleye/ perch love it

XD40SC
02-27-2012, 12:41 PM
Ill bet they are not as bad as the Chryslers of the early 80's fame. They were too heavy to make a good anchor.

Gamefishers were made by chrysler/force quality was job one

wchancey
02-28-2012, 01:13 AM
I wouldn't go out there in anything smaller than the BOBLO BOAT , is there still a boblo boat ?

mikethepike
02-28-2012, 06:19 PM
I wouldn't go out there in anything smaller than the BOBLO BOAT , is there still a boblo boat ?

Explain?

JohnJak
02-29-2012, 02:18 PM
I have hand-lined the river with my dad for many years in a 14-16 foot deep V hull. I miss going with him on the river. He passed away 10 years ago.

And still to this day I would not have a problem using a 14-16 footer deep V hull with all the proper safety gear.

TomE
02-29-2012, 06:48 PM
Deep V is the key

mikethepike
03-01-2012, 06:26 PM
I see guys fishing in those flat bottom boats...wow, they must get the chit kicked out of them

rambro
03-02-2012, 06:37 PM
i would not do it in that boat with that motor. The do competitive rowing out of the boat club on belle isle, i think 2-3 or more highschools.

It is a dangerous river. People die almost every year swimming there, even very good swimmers.

If your motor fails, whats plan b ?

mikethepike
03-03-2012, 01:25 PM
1985 historical photo handlining around Belle Isle...the 1 guy has a 14'
http://i.imgur.com/5cmYz.jpg

TomE
03-03-2012, 03:24 PM
How can you tell?:hoppinhappy:

mikethepike
03-04-2012, 10:54 AM

I can see it with my special eyes!!!!!:shocked:

5alarm435
03-04-2012, 11:04 AM

There must be something Mike recognizes about how the one dude has his legs draped over the gunwales. He's got a "wide stance."

mikethepike
03-04-2012, 06:49 PM
There must be something Mike recognizes about how the one dude has his legs draped over the gunwales. He's got a "wide stance."

Never noticed it , i'm glad you have an eye for stuff like that:pirate:

Just thought it was a cool old photo of people handlining the river and it was relevant to the topic

XD40SC
03-06-2012, 12:27 PM
I am sure he will be safe in that boat with the worst outboard ever made......and if they aren't..... Que Sera, Sera. Right? Its called Darwinism... I am sure his anchor line is about 12ft of frayed old yellow plastic rope attached to a orange Tide bottle filled with topsoil or perhaps a solid steel flywheel from a small block Chevy. I think he should ditch the "boat" idea and get a thimble form is wife or mom's sewing basket, stop at KFC on Southfield just before Jefferson to pick up a couple plastic sporks for rowing and hit the river in the thimble... should be fine if its calm.:hide: