PDA

View Full Version : Volquartsen Trigger Kit on Ruger .22

partdeux
02-23-2012, 09:52 PM
Holy crap, can't wait to shoot it!

The kit itself isn't too difficult, there's some great installation videos available. Dis-assembly was interesting, guess I should have watched the procedures a bit more. Bent the sear spring, and the 22/45 has to reuse the factory sear spring when installing the MkII trigger kit. Was able to rebend it back to near original shape.

Biggest problem through the entire installation, I had never field stripped this firearm. Reassembly is tricky... until you get it right.

I may have the trigger set a little too tight, but we'll see.

sonicmatter
03-06-2012, 12:49 AM
It works very well for a drop-in kit and I am very satisfied with the trigger. I now have a crisp trigger which breaks around 2# with no creep, just a crisp break. There is some slight pre-travel which needs to be left in or the trigger will not reset properly.

Good mod.

JimA
03-07-2012, 03:05 PM
Biggest problem through the entire installation, I had never field stripped this firearm. Reassembly is tricky... until you get it right.

The first time I took a Mark III 22/45 apart I thought I must be doing something wrong it was so difficult. I had to beat the bolt stop pin out with a punch. I thought I would never get the reciever off the grip frame, again a mallet and a lot of force was required.
Reassembly was even harder!! I had to pound the reciever and frame together to line up the hole for the boltstop pin. Then it was a bear to get the pin in. The inserting and removing the mag to get the trigger to let the hammer move forward was a pain too. I was so bummed after I finally got it back together that I considered selling it!
The next day I took that son of a gun apart and put it back together about 5 times. It got much easier!
I still think these are a pain to service, but they will loosen up over time.

I hope that trigger kit works well for you. I may consider that in the future.

partdeux
03-07-2012, 06:45 PM
If you decide to do the trigger kit, and I highly recommend it, most of the roll pins are held in place by the spring tails. Push the spring out of the way, and the pin literally falls away :)

You have to reuse the 22/45 sear spring when using a mk II kit (and you need the mk II hammer bushing too). Makes the mags FLY out of the gun. Also want to remove the bolt detent ball and spring. It's called the "slingshot" mod. Basically allows you to pull the bolt back and release it.

travisthared
03-09-2012, 07:52 PM
I have the trigger kit and some extras in my 10/22 and really like it.

Bearcat989
03-23-2012, 09:09 AM
Are any special tools, other than a punch, need to install these?

sonicmatter
03-24-2012, 03:27 AM
Are any special tools, other than a punch, need to install these?No.

sonicmatter
03-24-2012, 03:30 AM
I just got a MkIII 22/45. For it I ordered a Sam's bushing (removes the mag disconnect) Vq sear, Vq extractor, and Vq trigger. Disassembly and reassembly should be much easier and the trigger will be improved. Lots-o-fun!

leix26
03-24-2012, 10:54 AM
I just installed the trigger kit in my 22/45 yesterday (VQ trigger and sear). The bolt stop pin as mentioned earlier needed a little help with a punch. My receiver came off the frame easily after that. I used a Clark hammer bushing (be aware it is a press fit into hammer) to eliminate the mag safety and also did the slingshot mod and removed the loaded chamber indicator.

agksimon
04-27-2012, 05:42 AM
To get the bolt pin in easier, take a small flat blade screwdriver and push the recoil spring forward very slightly and then push the bolt pin through. Very easy that way.

partdeux
04-27-2012, 07:13 AM
Thanks for bumping this thread...

The luster of this kit wore off a little bit when I discovered a safety issue.

With the gun unloaded, and preferably with a snap cap in place, flip the safety on, point the firearm in a safe direction and pull the trigger. You should not hear the hammer. Now, with the muzzle still pointed in a safe direction and your finger OFF the bang stick, flip the safety off. On my 22/45, it would fire all by itself.

This is not an uncommon problem, and it apparently has to do with the way the safety catches the hammer. My frame is currently back at VQ for their "repair".

TomE
04-27-2012, 08:26 AM
Wow