PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever seen a refrigerator turned into a gun safe?

ajsmith184
02-28-2012, 03:49 PM
Considering doing this..Ive heard of it before, never actually seen one though..I have access to a GE stainless steel fridge thats about 7 years old that just died..Any ideas? I was thinking lining with diamondplate and having a padlock on the inside..Nobody would ever suspect...

jm0502
02-28-2012, 03:53 PM
i have heard of doing it but never seen it.

quick Google search

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xdtalk-chatter-box/157535-latest-project-hide-gun-safe.html

fr3db3ar
02-28-2012, 04:42 PM
A most excellent idea. I just happen to know where there is a dead fridge that needs disposing.

Buff
02-28-2012, 04:43 PM
While working patrol I covered a B & E. The home owner told me that the bad guys missed all his guns. When I asked him how he took to his basement and showed me a large water heater. He had gutted it and installed a lazy susan type table with racks inside. He then cut a access door and using a magnet held it in place. He had fake pipes leading from the heater to the wall. He had placed all of his guns in this device.
You could have walked by this thing all day and never known that it was a place to secure firearms.

ajsmith184
02-28-2012, 04:53 PM
A most excellent idea. I just happen to know where there is a dead fridge that needs disposing.
Lets do it and keep this thread updated for others....:shocked:

Groo
02-28-2012, 05:09 PM
I like the water heater better than the fridge. an awful lot of people do keep cash in the fridge.

brass hat
02-28-2012, 05:10 PM
Criminals often go through the fridge looking for hidden cash. It also seems to be reported alot criminals making themselves food from the victims fridge. It seems to me if I were a crook and came across a locked refridgerator,I would think something valuable must be inside.

GarrettJ
02-28-2012, 07:02 PM
I saw a website a few years ago where someone was selling safes built into old pop machines.

jm0502
02-28-2012, 07:37 PM
^ that thread was just brought up a week ago.

wadevb1
02-28-2012, 08:10 PM
Canada law requires firearms stored in a locked metal container. I seen several refridgerators gutted and turned into safes. Not a bad option, but anything with a lock draws attention.

steve581581
02-28-2012, 08:20 PM
Don't deep freezers have built in locks? Or is it just the old ones? I really like the fridge idea.

rambro
02-28-2012, 08:37 PM
Considering doing this..Ive heard of it before, never actually seen one though..I have access to a GE stainless steel fridge thats about 7 years old that just died..Any ideas? I was thinking lining with diamondplate and having a padlock on the inside..Nobody would ever suspect...
the pop machine route is better the lock is hidden, and looks like it could be in a man cave, or basement.

A consumer fridge with a masterlock on it says "there is something in side", anything worth locking, is worth busting open to a thief.

Now you could utilize the back of a fridge and mount it three inches from a wall, with a wood surround, and have up against the wall two folders at the top, and 6 rifles left to right.

They wont pull off molding or a surround and turn your fridge on its side.

Also your lock will be anchored to thin sheet metal in a fridge.

Lastly people will ask whats there, visitors and neighbors. I only talk guns with other gun folks that are neighbors or friends or family. They know and thats to many. I dont want everyone that comes to my house, and their loose lips telling their junkie co worker, junkie brother they know a guy with some sweet guns.

Roundballer
02-28-2012, 09:43 PM
Don't deep freezers have built in locks? Or is it just the old ones? I really like the fridge idea.
Every chest type freezer that I have ever seen had a lock on it.....But it is just a child safety lock. Makes it harder for a child to get into and trapped in the freezer. I also believe that any key for a particular model/manufacturer will fit ALL of them.

Wolvee
02-28-2012, 09:50 PM
I've been planning on doing it for a while. I picked up an upright freezer with a lock from craigslist for free. I'll do it sometime this summer.

robvas
02-28-2012, 09:50 PM
While working patrol I covered a B & E. The home owner told me that the bad guys missed all his guns. When I asked him how he took to his basement and showed me a large water heater. He had gutted it and installed a lazy susan type table with racks inside. He then cut a access door and using a magnet held it in place. He had fake pipes leading from the heater to the wall. He had placed all of his guns in this device.
You could have walked by this thing all day and never known that it was a place to secure firearms.

These days they'll steal the water heater. And the pipes!

Groo
02-28-2012, 10:11 PM
These days they'll steal the water heater. And the pipes!

good call. better hide them in a fold-out couch :cheers:

shuvelrider
02-28-2012, 10:13 PM
There is a saying that states, " the best place to hide anything, is out in the open". I like the idea of the water heater.

02-28-2012, 11:27 PM
I like the water heater better than the fridge. an awful lot of people do keep cash in the fridge.

I've heard of dope being found in refrigerators on narcotics raids. Know a LEO who found dope inside a hollowed-out head of lettuce.

Groo
02-28-2012, 11:31 PM
I've heard of dope being found in refrigerators on narcotics raids. Know a LEO who found dope inside a hollowed-out head of lettuce.
that would take an annoying amount of work to keep fresh.

dracothered
02-28-2012, 11:53 PM
If you used an upright deep freeze and installed a lock that looked like the original it shouldn't draw to much attention. After doing that you could then convert the inside to house all your guns, you could also install a dehumidifier, lights and other such things. The cord coming from what is suppose to be a freezer would only add to the decoy of it.

rambro
02-29-2012, 12:09 AM
If you used an upright deep freeze and installed a lock that looked like the original it shouldn't draw to much attention. After doing that you could then convert the inside to house all your guns, you could also install a dehumidifier, lights and other such things. The cord coming from what is suppose to be a freezer would only add to the decoy of it.
arent the locks usually in the middle?

I think it would be pretty easy to pry open with my bare hands, unless each end had a lock on it.

This sort of chest freezer "safe" surely would be better than the old back of the closet behind a suit coat, under a bed, in a cheap stack on $99 stack on safe.

I have a decoy safe, i have 2 of my cheep 22's in my stack on safe, i got it for like 90-99 its a wimpy sheetmetal 14 gun safe (you cant really fit 14 in it and not ding them.)

I set it up with some loose ammo, some cleaner, 2 old 22 lrs, some targets, and it looks like thats all my stuff.

The other stuff is hidden.

Check out the storage and safe section, and sort threads by most replies, the top 4-5 threads are worth reading for anyone. I shared many ideas, and posted links to some neat stuff.

I think its important to not have it all in one place, you can have a cheap decoy safe, and a false wall somewhere and hide the real heavy safe. Do the pop machine $150 safe thing. Hide them in false compartments in your dresser drawer, many other stealth ideas.

Do not store 5-10k worth of guns in a obvious safe.

Also guys look on youtube, there are some great vids of how easy it is to break into a decently price safe, from a dozen makers. 5 ft pry bar seems to get into allot of them.

Go stealth.