PDA

View Full Version : Raven Concealment Vanguard 2

thenewguy199
03-01-2012, 02:32 PM
I just got my preorder Vanguard 2 holster yesterday and I really like it. I am, well no sugar coating, fat and this is the most comfortable IWB holster I have tried so far. I carry at a 3 o'clock position because it is uncomfortable to carry in appendix and it seems to be the most comfortable and useful. Up until this point the most comfortable holster IWB that I had found was the Crown Jewel IWB holster. I have tried stuff from crossbreed and galco, Raven Phantom inside the waistband, Crown Royal with IWB clips and loops, and a few others as well. When I was carrying a smaller gun I used a Crown Royal type that he made for me for my LC9 and that worked well, but when I switched to a Glock 19 IWB the holsters I tried rode higher and pushed on the magic love handles/spare tire and pushed down on my pants so they were constantly at an angle and I was always pulling my pants up. The Jewel solved this problem by sitting a little bit Closer to the belt line and has been quite comfortable for the last 8 months or so that I have been wearing it. The Vanguard 2 sits a bit closer to the belt line like the Jewel, but because there is even less material it just seems more comfortable to me. I wore it all last night and today and have done a lot of drawing with a blue gun and my G19 and it seems to hold the gun well. So, while i work on being less fat this seems like the most comfortable option for me right now. I know comfort is not the only reason to use a holster and carry a gun, but if it isn't comfortable it makes me less enthused to wear it all day and my safety is important to me. For training purposes at the range I will probably still use the Jewel some since it will be a little more efficient and easier for reholstering and it carries the gun in just about the same position. I have serrations on top of my slide and enhanced side cuts front and back and I don't feel anything digging in through my undershirt or underwear. If I was going commando it might be a little different.....

I will update as I wear it more and when I go to the range to do some shooting with it.

A review and some pics
http://soldiersystems.net/2012/01/24/shot-show-followup-raven-concealment-minimal-vanguard-ii/

thocomehome
03-01-2012, 11:36 PM
I got mine today, i like it. It still takes a back sit to the phantom.

JimSig
03-02-2012, 12:02 AM
cool and innovative idea.. it should be patended.. ;)

franny365
03-02-2012, 12:20 AM
does anyone know how stable it is as far as keeping the pistol from sliding around or rocking back and forth?

thocomehome
03-02-2012, 03:49 AM
does anyone know how stable it is as far as keeping the pistol from sliding around or rocking back and forth?
I only had a day and a half of wearing out and about. There was a little wiggle and play. Nothing to worry about. Iam impressed that this little guy is adjustable for cant. It holds my g23 snug.

Batman
03-02-2012, 09:21 AM
I read some other reviews too and it appears to be a really good system. It's a shame you can't order one. I don't know what the problem is but whatever it is Raven needs solve it quickly or at least let folks place an order. This is a very compulsive hobby and if you come out with a product and don't have supply your toast. And now that good reviews are coming out not allowing orders to be placed does not make Raven look very organized. I mean it's not even on their web site! This just opens the door for the competition who I'm sure is in the process of making something to compete.

Ruger
03-02-2012, 09:24 AM
They should start building them for the M&P series pretty soon. I would hope. :shrugs:

Tom Fineis
03-02-2012, 10:32 AM
I read some other reviews too and it appears to be a really good system. It's a shame you can't order one. I don't know what the problem is but whatever it is Raven needs solve it quickly or at least let folks place an order. This is a very compulsive hobby and if you come out with a product and don't have supply your toast. And now that good reviews are coming out not allowing orders to be placed does not make Raven look very organized. I mean it's not even on their web site! This just opens the door for the competition who I'm sure is in the process of making something to compete.
Thanks for the concern, but you're missing a few pieces of the puzzle.

The item isn't officially "launched" for retail sale yet. We are finalizing details with the attorneys for product literature, packaging, etc. We opened a small run of them for pre-sale for people who have been following the project. This was a way to give back to our Facebook followers.

Supply is most certainly not an issue. There are thousands of these things on our shelves just waiting for final approval from the legal team.

The item is patent pending.

HK83
03-02-2012, 07:30 PM
For training purposes at the range I will probably still use the Jewel some

You should not attempt to reholster a loaded gun into the vangaurd 2, it is not meant to be a training/reholsterable system.

That being said I received mine the other day and practiced with it all day before I carried it the last two. I did try to reholster into it many times(unloaded gun) just to see how bad of an idea it was. While holding my cover garments high and out of the way I caught my tucked in t-shirt in the trigger guard most of the time I attempted it. It says in the insert that it came with not to insert a loaded gun into it even when loading for daily carry and I would definitely not try to reholster into it.

Right now I have it riding as high as it can appendix carry 1-2 oclock. I'm going to try it on the middle setting again and see if I can still get high enough on the grip without canting it forward. The first time I tried the middle setting I didn't care for the purchase I got on the grip so I tried canting it forward a bit and it seemed like the gun wanted to come out of the top of the vanguard because of the added weight shift in that direction. Could have just been how I was wearing it combined with bending, twisting, getting up and off the couch, and in and out of the car while testing but for me it seems to be about a 1-2 degree for ward cant right now riding on the high 3rd setting.

I also tried it with different belts and found there to be differences in the way it rides. With my ares belt it doesn't move or cant on its own. When I was wearing a generic leather belt from kohls, still 1.5", it would want to cant a little on its own because the belt wasn't filling the width, away from the body, to the belt loop. I did take the tail of the belt and move it into the loop so there was essentially two layers of belt and then it didn't move. As always a good holster needs a good belt.

I think the Vanguard 2 has a good purpose for saving the added holster material up front for appendix carry. Also for those who don't carry at home and are just 'running to the corner' and usually wont throw on a full holster. I do plan to get an ACR rig for training and prob full time appendix carry but when I have both I'll evaluate both aspects and continue to test the V2. So far I do like it and it does ride comfortable. I don't mind that it was released on facebook. It's the new market place for a newer generation of marketing. That's how I got one ;-)

snapshotdod
03-13-2012, 12:57 AM
I wish Raven would be just a little more original...oh wait

Anyways, love the fact that you guys keep coming up with more and more innovative and interesting products advancing the field. I'm still saving up for the AIWB...at least by the time I can afford that and get it, I can start saving for the M&P edition of the VG2, p.s. love the stickers

Tom Fineis
03-13-2012, 09:36 AM
I wish Raven would be just a little more original...oh wait

Anyways, love the fact that you guys keep coming up with more and more innovative and interesting products advancing the field. I'm still saving up for the AIWB...at least by the time I can afford that and get it, I can start saving for the M&P edition of the VG2, p.s. love the stickers
:scholar:

dougwg
03-13-2012, 09:56 AM
I have one at the shop for people to fondle.

Reactions seem to be positive.

Ruger
03-13-2012, 10:16 AM

Reactions seem to be positive.

You have a VG2 for the M&P at the shop?

tote'ngranny
03-13-2012, 10:16 AM

You wouldn't be bragging, now would you :biggrin:

dougwg
03-13-2012, 11:58 AM
You have a VG2 for the M&P at the shop?
Glock...

Claymore308
03-13-2012, 06:50 PM
Great minimalist holster, gotta love Raven Gear!

thenewguy199
03-15-2012, 10:40 AM
For the last week I have been carrying a full size Glock 17. It conceals it very well and is just as comfortable as carrying the 19. With the other holsters I have tried up until now the end of the grip seemed to print quite a bit, but with the Vanguard it hides very well.

mcintosh
03-28-2012, 10:50 PM
WANT.

Batman
04-01-2012, 04:43 PM
It's been well over a month and still no release of the VG2. :shake:

35percent
04-01-2012, 05:06 PM
Took mine on a 11 mile hike with a 55lb pack at pontiac lake rec area on the horse trails with lots of hills, worked flawlessly and was very comfortable.

Batman
04-02-2012, 11:00 AM
Took mine on a 11 mile hike with a 55lb pack at pontiac lake rec area on the horse trails with lots of hills, worked flawlessly and was very comfortable.OK stop it, you're killing me. :sad:

Batman
05-03-2012, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the concern, but you're missing a few pieces of the puzzle.

The item isn't officially "launched" for retail sale yet. We are finalizing details with the attorneys for product literature, packaging, etc. We opened a small run of them for pre-sale for people who have been following the project. This was a way to give back to our Facebook followers.

Supply is most certainly not an issue. There are thousands of these things on our shelves just waiting for final approval from the legal team.

The item is patent pending.Now two months go by and still nothing on the Raven web site. I don't get it. They release a limited number of holsters back in January then nothing for 4 months and counting. This just does not add up.

tote'ngranny
05-04-2012, 06:43 AM
Now two months go by and still nothing on the Raven web site. I don't get it. They release a limited number of holsters back in January then nothing for 4 months and counting. This just does not add up.
Probably released to testers, not the general public.

Tom Fineis
05-07-2012, 09:16 AM
Now two months go by and still nothing on the Raven web site. I don't get it. They release a limited number of holsters back in January then nothing for 4 months and counting. This just does not add up.

Launching new products to often come with challenges on the development, manufacturing, legal, or marketing sides (or a combination of all of them).

As I said last time, we're working on this as quickly as we can.

Batman
05-07-2012, 02:44 PM
Launching new products to often come with challenges on the development, manufacturing, legal, or marketing sides (or a combination of all of them).

As I said last time, we're working on this as quickly as we can.Can I be a tester!!8)

Kimberguy1371
05-07-2012, 07:21 PM
Can I be a tester!!8)

I'll jump all over that! :-) I can't wait for this to come out! :thumbup:

mopedman
05-24-2012, 08:29 AM
http://i47.tinypic.com/3179mrn.jpg
Picked one up a few days ago. I have been wearing it around for two days. Even took it on a jog last night. I love it. It is a really awesome intvative design. I did some draws out of it at the range yesterday it ran really smooth. Awesome holster.

Batman
05-24-2012, 10:38 PM
Picked one up a few days ago....If I may ask...where from?

mopedman
05-24-2012, 11:50 PM
I have my ways...... Lol

mcintosh
06-19-2012, 08:49 PM
I reallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreally want one!

Batman
07-02-2012, 10:56 PM
Word has it that it will be released on the 4th of July!

JohnJak
07-03-2012, 06:30 PM
I have seen Ravens work and I am thoroughly impressed. If I ever need a Plastic holster you would be the one for me.

Keep up the excellent craftsmanship.

thenewguy199
07-03-2012, 11:13 PM
Go here and follow the instructions!

http://www.facebook.com/notes/raven-concealment-systems/vanguard-2-launch-pre-order-instructions/387716867944017

35percent
07-03-2012, 11:31 PM
I've been lucky enough to use a few different incarnations of the VG2 over the last year and I must say they have everything DIALED. It's an awesome holster and if you own a Glock you should definitely own a VG2.

gwc1975
07-04-2012, 12:04 AM
Is the V2 going to cost $100+ and take 6 months to receive after ordering it?

Joeywhat
07-04-2012, 12:07 AM

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j151/joeywhat/Animations/loss_for_words.gif

35percent
07-04-2012, 01:01 AM

Their quick ship products are getting to people in as little as 9 days after ordering, including shipping time.

$35, free shipping, and they ship on 7/30 :banana:

Kimberguy1371
07-04-2012, 01:47 AM
Their quick ship products are getting to people in as little as 9 days after ordering, including shipping time.

Just ordered mine! :-)

gwc1975
07-04-2012, 10:34 AM

Awesome, I will be ordering a couple then. Thanks

Batman
07-05-2012, 12:23 AM
Now, they need to make em for the M&P's!

sparkman10mm
07-05-2012, 12:58 PM
Now, they need to make em for the M&P's!
Very soon I am hoping...

WD

ARonBoard
07-26-2012, 05:16 PM
I cant wait to get one of these for my G26.

Tom Fineis
07-26-2012, 06:13 PM
Tomorrow is the last day for the Pre-Order!

scrapinby
07-31-2012, 12:43 AM
I received my VG2 in the mail today. I am hella impressed with this little guy.

I'm going to preface this by saying that I've carried my Sig Sauer P6 for the last 6 weeks ago or so. It's physical dimensions are pretty similar to my Glock 19, but the Sig is significantly heavier.

This thing is very comfortable. It also stays put a lot better than I thought it would. Honestly, concealing the 19 was a little too easy. I've been walking around with my 17. I'm really impressed with how innovative this product is, and it shipped sooner than I anticipated. Well done guys!

Kimberguy1371
07-31-2012, 03:02 AM
I got mine yesterday as well! I love it! can't wait to not be working so I can wear it for a few days!

Knightrider03m
07-31-2012, 03:05 AM
Fail. I forgot to preorder it. Oh well, just 5.50 for shipping to my house. Now for the wait.

mopedman
07-31-2012, 01:07 PM
I love mine. I carry my Glock 26 in mine all the time. We have a few in stock for sale up at my work Close Quarters Tactical.

Knightrider03m
07-31-2012, 05:12 PM
I love mine. I carry my Glock 26 in mine all the time. We have a few in stock for sale up at my work Close Quarters Tactical.

Its too late for me. When I posted it, I already went and ordered it. Sucks since I have to drive by CQT on my way to work.

scrapinby
08-01-2012, 06:17 PM
After living with it for a couple of days, I can only think of one real problem with it. It's a pain in the nutsack to reholster. This ordinarily wouldn't be a factor for me, but I had to go to a PFZ today. I elected to go with a more traditional holster today so I wouldn't have to deal with it.

sparkman10mm
08-01-2012, 07:33 PM
After living with it for a couple of days, I can only think of one real problem with it. It's a pain in the nutsack to reholster. This ordinarily wouldn't be a factor for me, but I had to go to a PFZ today. I elected to go with a more traditional holster today so I wouldn't have to deal with it.

Q-
How is it more of a pain in the nutsack to RE-holster, than to initally HOLSTER?

scrapinby
08-01-2012, 10:50 PM
Q-
How is it more of a pain in the nutsack to RE-holster, than to initally HOLSTER?

Because I'm initially holstering it in the privacy of my own bedroom. Reholstering in the parking lot at the post office could be a lot more interesting.

35percent
08-02-2012, 08:22 AM
It can be a little cumbersome at first, but once you start doing it more often it becomes second nature.

Tom Fineis
08-02-2012, 08:50 AM
Because I'm initially holstering it in the privacy of my own bedroom. Reholstering in the parking lot at the post office could be a lot more interesting.

Bet I can get my VG2 back on just as quick as any other holster you may have used. ;)

I put mine on in the vehicle a lot. Simple process.

scrapinby
08-02-2012, 12:32 PM
Bet I can get my VG2 back on just as quick as any other holster you may have used. ;)

I put mine on in the vehicle a lot. Simple process.

I'd take that bet.

I'm too fat/huge to reholster in the truck. That's how crap (like seats) get broken.

Tom Fineis
08-02-2012, 02:18 PM
Standing is simple too. Point your body toward the door crease for cover, insert pistol with loop going behind belt, snap. Same as re-holstering on the range with the VG2.

scrapinby
08-02-2012, 04:02 PM
Standing is simple too. Point your body toward the door crease for cover, insert pistol with loop going behind belt, snap. Same as re-holstering on the range with the VG2.

I agree that it can be done. I really like the holster. It's an incredible value for a quality holster. I'm just being nitpicky. It is the one very minor complaint that I have about it.

Tom Fineis
08-02-2012, 04:04 PM
It is the one very minor complaint that I have about it.
What is the actual complaint? I saw "slow to put on," but no information on the details. Slow compared to what? What troubles are you having that slow you down?

The VG2, for me, is fastest holster to put on that I've ever used. I'd like to solve this issue for you if I can.

scrapinby
08-02-2012, 08:16 PM
What is the actual complaint? I saw "slow to put on," but no information on the details. Slow compared to what? What troubles are you having that slow you down?

The VG2, for me, is fastest holster to put on that I've ever used. I'd like to solve this issue for you if I can.

Slow to put on compared to my PJholster (http://pjholster.com/?page_id=37)

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c316/scrapinby/pjholster/016.jpg

This holster has spoiled me for taking the holster on and off. 99% of the time it is a non issue. It just happened that I had to go to a PFZ yesterday.

I don't want you (or anyone else) to get the wrong idea. I'm really very happy with the holster. I'm able to conceal a larger handgun than I've ever concealed before (17). It's also very versitile. It works with every Glock I own and probably every Glock I ever will own. This is a review, so I'm posting the good and the bad. I'm just a lot better at pointing out negatives than positives.

I guess "pain in the nutsack" is a strong term. It is more difficult to reholster than what I've been using for quite a while. I'll be in for a real dose of reality when my Phantom for my P226 gets here.

Tom Fineis
08-03-2012, 09:38 AM
Understood, thanks for clarifying.

Holsters that are easy to put on usually come off quickly when pressure tested during force on force scenarios.

The VG2 has been through thousands of FOF evos without a single reported failure over the last two years. It's easier to put on than most holsters, and is also extremely secure. We believe it to be the perfect mix.

sparkman10mm
08-03-2012, 12:44 PM
Understood, thanks for clarifying.

Holsters that are easy to put on usually come off quickly when pressure tested during force on force scenarios.

The VG2 has been through thousands of FOF evos without a single reported failure over the last two years. It's easier to put on than most holsters, and is also extremely secure. We believe it to be the perfect mix.

I am anxious to try one for my M&P's!

wJAKE19
08-05-2012, 09:17 PM
I am anxious to try one for my M&P's!
me to

sparkman10mm
08-06-2012, 06:50 AM
me to
Soon,..hopefully.