PDA

View Full Version : Lone Wolf SS Guide Rod (Glock 27)

zenom
03-05-2012, 07:01 PM
Just putting this out there for others if they have this part. I was at the range yesterday and a gentleman shooting his Glock 27, had the SS Guide Rod fall apart on him. I don't know if he was using reloads etc., just figured I would share to be on the lookout in case this is a major issue. I have heard good things about Lone Wolf, but wanted to share for possible safety reasons. I am sure LW will make good on the part and glad nothing major happened to him.

PaulB84
03-07-2012, 01:44 PM
Just putting this out there for others if they have this part. I was at the range yesterday and a gentleman shooting his Glock 27, had the SS Guide Rod fall apart on him. I don't know if he was using reloads etc., just figured I would share to be on the lookout in case this is a major issue. I have heard good things about Lone Wolf, but wanted to share for possible safety reasons. I am sure LW will make good on the part and glad nothing major happened to him.

I know it wasn't your gun so this isn't directed at you, but what is the rational behind replacing the guide rod? Glock didn't get it right but thank goodness for lone wolf? :togo:

zenom
03-07-2012, 01:45 PM
I know it wasn't your gun so this isn't directed at you, but what is the rational behind replacing the guide rod? Glock didn't get it right but thank goodness for lone wolf? :togo:

I think the biggest thing is the weight from what I understand. Going from the polymer to the SS or heavier metals, it will help with muzzle flip. There maybe be more to it than that, but not 100% sure myself.

PaulB84
03-07-2012, 02:02 PM
I think the biggest thing is the weight from what I understand. Going from the polymer to the SS or heavier metals, it will help with muzzle flip. There maybe be more to it than that, but not 100% sure myself.

knew you were gonna say that...so there are people who go out and buy a polymer framed gun, decide it needs to be heavier, change out THE PART THAT CYCLES THE SLIDE, then bitch about glocks and how they don't run... :barf:

mini4m3
03-08-2012, 08:33 AM
guide rod? perhaps actual spring from a reputable company like Wolff Springs, but I'm not sure a guide rod would do anything of the sort by itself.

zenom
03-08-2012, 08:38 AM
guide rod? perhaps actual spring from a reputable company like Wolff Springs, but I'm not sure a guide rod would do anything of the sort by itself.

If that is to me:

The guide rod actually broke. He showed it to me. The round metal piece on one side that keeps the spring on the guide rod, broke right off. He found the broken piece in the expended brass.

If you are talking about the slide, then yes I guess that would be the spring and not the guide rod per se. The guide rod would probably help weight and the spring would affect the slide. I believe you can get different stiffness in the guide rod springs as well. I don't know if his was the same as the stock one in that regard.

rjrivero
03-08-2012, 08:42 AM
I use an aftermarket non captured guide rod in one of my Glocks. The reason being, I have flexibility in spring weights. I can "play" with loads that are hot or light with and without suppressors. It just adds some flexibility.

TAC
03-08-2012, 09:51 AM
I've seen plenty of plastic guide rods break in my day. Not just Glocks either. The Glock 27 is particularly hard on them.

Musta Demoni
03-08-2012, 10:14 PM
I use an aftermarket non captured guide rod in one of my Glocks. The reason being, I have flexibility in spring weights. I can "play" with loads that are hot or light with and without suppressors. It just adds some flexibility.

That's how my G29 is set up. I got a 21 lb. spring & guide rod (non captured) from Wolff springs. If I want to shoot the hot stuff, I use this set up.

Revdrshad
03-12-2012, 01:48 AM
I'm almost positive the stock Glock Guide Rod is a two piece metal deal on the G27. And has been for a number of years. (Much like an H&K .45)
It's not a one piece polymer like the full size Gen 3's.

lwout65
03-12-2012, 07:22 AM
I'm almost positive the stock Glock Guide Rod is a two piece metal deal on the G27. And has been for a number of years. (Much like an H&K .45)
It's not a one piece polymer like the full size Gen 3's.

Correct.

blatant blue
10-22-2012, 09:57 PM
That's why I shoot Sigs! Lol, JK.. I have a Gen 4, pretty impressive I must say.