PDA

View Full Version : SBR/SBS in Michigan

Dansjeep2000
03-06-2012, 10:28 AM
Where do we stand at this point? Are there any groups working on getting them legal and if so what can we do to help?

Roundballer
03-06-2012, 01:08 PM
There is a petition at change.org, but I have not gotten any useful responses from anybody.

Petition thread.
http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=147758

GarrettJ
03-06-2012, 02:57 PM
I wonder if we could use the recent federal ruling on the Maryland law to get our state law overturned.

boostjunki
03-07-2012, 08:21 AM
I wonder if we could use the recent federal ruling on the Maryland law to get our state law overturned.

You mean trying to get politicians to use logic and reason? :whacko:

Dansjeep2000
03-07-2012, 08:40 AM
I know they are busy trying to fix our f'ed up state but it seems to me that since the Republicans have full control right now we should be able to get this done. If not now then when? At some point the Dems will have some power again then all will be lost for that much longer.

boostjunki
03-08-2012, 09:14 AM
I guess the old saying "strike while the iron is hot" rings true in our state at the moment.

Ducryder
03-15-2012, 12:09 PM
So let me get this straight... I can haz a machine gun, but I can't haz an SBR? LULZ! Who thinks this stuff up?

mini4m3
03-15-2012, 01:00 PM
So let me get this straight... I can haz a machine gun, but I can't haz an SBR? LULZ! Who thinks this stuff up?

You can have a SBR as long as it IS a machine gun :)

Shyster
03-15-2012, 01:05 PM
You can have a SBR as long as it IS a machine gun :)
There is no such thing as an SBR machine gun. It is either a Short Barreled Rifle or a machine gun. Length of barrel is irrelevant on a MG.

Sorry, I get paid to parse words.

mini4m3
03-15-2012, 01:14 PM
There is no such thing as an SBR machine gun. It is either a Short Barreled Rifle or a machine gun. Length of barrel is irrelevant on a MG.

I'm well aware but the point that we both made is the end point to be made.

You can have a 'barrel that is short on a rifle' as long as its select fire, e.g. MG.

Dansjeep2000
03-15-2012, 01:22 PM

You can have a 'barrel that is short on a rifle' as long as its select fire, e.g. MG.
I would have worded it: a short barreled rifle configuration is only legal in Michigan on a registered machine gun.

Ducryder
03-15-2012, 01:28 PM

Exactly, and furthermore who thinks up this convoluted crap, considered law.

Ducryder
03-15-2012, 01:35 PM
I would have worded it: a short barreled rifle configuration is only legal in Michigan on a registered machine gun.

The discussions on HK seem to hinge on this subject often when members have a trigger pack, an MP5 pistol, A2 stock, plus another HK long gun that can take the same trigger pack. Is it intent to construct an SBR if I remove the trigger pack to clean my "machine gun"?

Dansjeep2000
03-15-2012, 02:00 PM
The discussions on HK seem to hinge on this subject often when members have a trigger pack, an MP5 pistol, A2 stock, plus another HK long gun that can take the same trigger pack. Is it intent to construct an SBR if I remove the trigger pack to clean my "machine gun"?
I don't think so because the parts go to your machine gun, you have a legal reason to have them. however IANAL

OneShot91
03-30-2012, 12:52 AM
I have to say, This is by far the dumbest law in State law, i would've thought SBR's and SBS's would be legal long before suppressors

BMT85
03-30-2012, 08:34 AM
I have to say, This is by far the dumbest law in State law, i would've thought SBR's and SBS's would be legal long before suppressors

I would have thought that too, and would have liked that better, but we are dealing with retards, I mean politicians.

At least we got something from em.

rjrivero
03-30-2012, 11:04 AM
I would have thought that too, and would have liked that better, but we are dealing with retards, I mean politicians.

At least we got something from em.
No reason to go out and thank your politicians, exactly. Remember this was an opinion by the Attorney General. Also remember that because this is an AG opinion, it CAN be overturned by another AG down the line.

True there had to be a formal request by a politician to get the AG to write a formal opinion, but it didn't require a "radical" action, like sponsoring a new law.

The SBR/SBS ban is declared in the Michigan Compiled Law. It can only be changed by re-writing the law.

The question is, weather or not a representative has the stones to sponsor such a bill.

BadBolt
04-01-2012, 01:44 PM
One could argue that a shorter barrel has the affect of the bullet losing muzzle velocity vs. a long barrel, thus, less impact on what it hits....LOL

That's got to mean something.

maustin195
04-01-2012, 04:25 PM

Can you explain how the DNR claim you can use a shotgun with a rifled barrel in the shotgun zone for deer hunting? The way I understand federal and state law a weapon with a rifled barrel can't be a shotgun. MCL 750.222

PaulB84
04-02-2012, 10:27 AM
Can you explain how the DNR claim you can use a shotgun with a rifled barrel in the shotgun zone for deer hunting? The way I understand federal and state law a weapon with a rifled barrel can't be a shotgun. MCL 750.222

Maustin, please stop clouding the discussion with relevant facts and conclusions drawn from logical interpretation. It just mucks everything up.

While you're wondering ridiculous things, wonder why a centerfire rifle is legal every day of the year to shoot any legal critter in season south of "the line", except for november 15th-30th.....you've started wondering why the .gov does some of the things they do...god help you.