PDA

View Full Version : S&W Customer service report

joepistol
03-10-2012, 02:16 PM
The 617 S&W, (6" SS .22 Revolver ) purchased from a MGO member, became an addition from the "Firearms I always wanted but couldn't afford @ the time" list. Shortly after obtaining this beauty, I noticed difficult extraction of fired cases after use. Decided to try different ammo after a thorough cylinder cleaning. After several extended periods of soak,brush,clean-repeat applied to same cylinder, decided to consult a "pro" for stubborn burn rings that were proving to be more than I could handle. This after about 5-6 hrs of attempted cleaning. Doug Jones used a super-dremel type motor,& polished cylinders to the point it became evident that what I'd believed to be a build up of carbon in 1 chamber, was actually pitting/erosion of the metal. His options were 1.) Mark, & don't use that cylinder (this is a 10 shot cylinder) 2) sleeve the cylinder 3) Return to S&W and see if they'll fix it.

After checking the S&W website, I learned several things..S&W firearms come with a lifetime warranty..which may be limited to the original purchaser.. and a replacement cylinder is an expensive (>$100.00) part to replace..

After talking with a S&W customer service rep & explaining the problem, he said I'd be mailed a postage & insurance paid shipping label & instructions on how to return it for repair. I wasn't asked if I was the O.P. The label arrived a few days later and the pistol was packaged with necessary info and shipped (FED EX 2nd day) per instruction, went out on a Monday.. Heard nothing until the past Wed, a letter stating firearm was recieved and 8-10 days expected for repair..the envelope was postmaked Mar.5th..received on the 7th,.. On Mar.8th,the pistol arrived..with new cylinder installed & brief letter stating work done.. :thumbup: I'll report later how it works after my next range session..

One may balk @ the MSRP 's S&W has listed on their firearms..and shopping around should be encouraged, but it's nice to know that they stand behind their products in this manner 8-) ..My :twocents:..Joepistol..:pistols:

matt11
03-10-2012, 02:25 PM
I hope I have just as good of an experience. So far it is going that way. I finally called Smith and Wesson about the FTE problems I am having with my 22A. I told the guy on the phone about the problem, he intimidatingly told me I should send the gun in, and that I should expect nothing less than every 22 LR I put in the mag to fire flawlessly, no matter what kind of ammo. He is setting up the shipping.

HOG76
03-10-2012, 07:06 PM
My brother gave me an old S&W 38spcl. It had some timing issues and he told me I could have it but I needed to get it fixed before I shot it. Took it to my local gun shop and they told me to just send it in to S&W. Long story short fixed it was fixed for free, if I am remembering correctly this revolver is from 1938!

joepistol
03-12-2012, 12:10 AM
Felt like the first day of Spring.. Had difficulty deciding ..Bike ride? or go Shoot?

How about riding the bike to go shoot? A great idea...As I was anxious to try my S&W 617 that had a new cylinder fitted, it was selected for the trip.

Happy to report the gun now functions as it should..able to shoot a box of shells and extract the spent cases without looking for something to strike the ejector..
Oh happy day! :bounce::biggrin: :banana: :thumbup: :bounce2: :mrgreen: :tapdance: :score: Joepistol..:pistols:

sparkman10mm
03-13-2012, 11:14 AM
[QUOTE=joepistol]Felt like the first day of Spring.. Had difficulty deciding ..Bike ride? or go Shoot?

How about riding the bike to go shoot? A great idea...As I was anxious to try my S&W 617 that had a new cylinder fitted, it was selected for the trip.

Happy to report the gun now functions as it should..able to shoot a box of shells and extract the spent cases without looking for something to strike the ejector..
Oh happy day! :bounce::biggrin: :banana: :thumbup: :bounce2: :mrgreen: :tapdance: :score: Joepistol..:pistols:[/QUOTE
How did the bike run?

joepistol
03-16-2012, 12:53 PM
Flawless..

I (almost) always drain the gastank because the fuel stabilizer I use leaves an oily residue on the plugs if the bike is ridden to burn out the gas.This year, as Gas price is high, took a few longer rides (50+ miles) on the freeway and a lot of shorter rides, ended up using up the gas riding. Have put 300-400 miles on the ST already this year..just running around, enjoying the warm spells & dry pavement. Even put the battery in my Dyna & went for a short ride on the last sunny day we had.. I'm ready for riding season!..Joepistol :pistols: