PDA

View Full Version : Bersa Thunder 308 Duo-Tone with Laser Grips

joelansing
03-11-2012, 07:00 PM
The Bersa Thunder 380 is a Walther PPK clone like James Bond used to use. I bought mine for $408 from Buds. That's a lot for a cheap brand 380, but if you added the cost of normal Duo-Tone plus CT Grips you'd be pushing $500 so I did ok. Without the laser they are normally $250-$290 or so. Before it arrived I went to Bersachat.com and read up on them. They supposedly hate S&B ammo, and any HP ammo during the break-in. When it arrived I decided that because part of it's job would be SD. I should push it for reliability. I took it out and started with a clip of S&B, then I shot a box of crappy Aguila HP ammo through it. Also multiple magazines of PDX1, Fiocchi, and DPX. Mostly S&B, Aguila, and Fiocchi. I shot about 150 rounds and had no failures of any type. I shoot a P3AT a lot so I know not to limp wrist.

Comparing this to a P3AT:
It is bigger. It has a 3.5" barrel, the P3AT is like 2.5"? It's won't fit in your shirt front pocket. It struggles to fit in a jeans front pocket. You can get a full grip on it instead of just 1-2 fingers:) The sights are *WAY* better than the little bump sights the P3AT has. I could knock down steel plates at 25 yards easily with it. It was bright and sunny outside so I didn't try the laser much. My Freedom P3AT has a CT LaserGuard (not LaserGrip like the Bersa) and they seem the same as far as brightness and aligning with the iron sights. It would light up the iron plates at 25 yards barely. Too dim and frustrating to actually use. Indoors or on a cloudy day they would be fine though. I'm not a very good shot.

I bought an Uncle Mikes #2 pocket holster for it which was fail. It needs a size #4. Magazines for it are expensive. It came with a coupon/order sheet that had 7 round magazines for $27.00 and that is a deal. ProMag makes magazines for it but they are normal ProMag "maybe it will function" quality so I won't go there. I wish Mec-Gar made mags for them. The 8 round magazines for the Concealed Carry Thunder 380 will not work in the normal model. I thought about buying the CC version but I'm old and my eyes don't like tiny bumps on the slide for sights. The CC has tiny sights like the P3AT. My Duo-Tone normal model has adjustable decent size sights. There is a 15 round Thunder 380 Plus with a slightly wider grip that I find myself attracted to.

Overall I really like it. It's reliable. It has usable sights. It is small. The CT laser switch is under your grip fingers so you don't have to think to turn it on. That is a real plus. I hate fiddling with a switch on the gun to activate the laser. Just grabbing it should be enough. It's not the slip in the pocket and forget it size of my P3AT, but it holds 1 more round and is much easier and more accurate to shoot. Bersa as a brand is very good. I'm not sure about how their warranty support is. But very few people that buy Bersa every use their warranty which is a good thing. The only bad thing I can say about it is that it isn't small enough. But if it was smaller I'd be back in the TCP/LCP/P3AT group with lower cap, junk sights, and a 1-2 finger grip. I hope this review was helpful to someone because I wasted 1/2 hour typing it in..:)
- Joe

XDM 40 cal
03-11-2012, 08:19 PM
Yes, good insight on the Bersa you bought...

I have one and it a great shooter... the only thing i did was polish the feed ramp..

rambro
03-11-2012, 11:01 PM
can you put on aftermarket sights on the bersa 380s ?

XDM 40 cal
03-12-2012, 05:14 AM
can you put on aftermarket sights on the bersa 380s ?

http://images1.opticsplanet.com/480-320-ffffff/opplanet-meprolight-bersa-380-tru-dot-night-sight-ml10242.jpg
Bersa Thunder 380 - ML10242

This is the first sight i found..