PDA

View Full Version : 1911 Carry with an Ambidextrous Safety?

SpecFour
03-14-2012, 08:57 AM
In another thread I had inquired about exchanging the ambidextrous safety on my Combat Commander to make it "safer" to carry concealed.

My line of thinking was;

In a right handed inside the waist band carry, a left side safety lever is placed between the weapon and the holster. An ambi-safety means the right side safety lever is on the outside leaving it exposed, or "vulnerable", to every thing from my seat belt to my nieces shoe.

However, Juicemon pointed out that left handed shooters have always carried their weapons with the safety on the outside.

So I thought I would ask;

Those of you who carry a 1911 pistol with an ambidextrous safety, or those of you lefties who carry with a safety on the outside, have you ever found yourself carrying a weapon that was unsafed?

pkuptruck
03-14-2012, 09:08 AM
In another thread I had inquired about exchanging the ambidextrous safety on my Combat Commander to make it "safer" to carry concealed.

My line of thinking was;

In a right handed inside the waist band carry, a left side safety lever is placed between the weapon and the holster. An ambi-safety means the right side safety lever is on the outside leaving it exposed, or "vulnerable", to every thing from my seat belt to my nieces shoe.

However, Juicemon pointed out that left handed shooters have always carried their weapons with the safety on the outside.

So I thought I would ask;

Those of you who carry a 1911 pistol with an ambidextrous safety, or those of you lefties who carry with a safety on the outside, have you have found yourself carrying a weapon that was unsafe?

I am pkuptruck.. and I am a left.... ( spoken like an 12 step meeting... ) :whistle:

Never had an issue with "as built" safety... :biggrin:

I even tried an ambi... but that was more trouble (for me) than it was worth.. it would snag, catch and pull on stuff I didnt want snag, caught or pulled.... :wtf:

once I got the hang of the the weapon, it was pretty easy and carefree...

but I MUST caution .... USE A GOOD HOLSTER!!! by that, I mean one that covers the trigger hole/trigger.... if your particularly retentive.... then get one with a "hammer strap" ( goes between hammer and frame with a snap, or velcro , etc..)

The ambi is GREAT for the range and plinking.. but for me, it was more of a pain for carrying..

I am SURE others may have a differing opinion... so, YMMV :coffee:

XDM 40 cal
03-14-2012, 11:11 AM
I carry my 1911 with ambi just fine.. Just need the right holster as Pktruck said...
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg165/Aleromi99/Gun%20pics/2012-01-13_182837.jpg

The thing is you have to train to get the mental memory of using a 1911..

juicemon
03-14-2012, 12:35 PM
On all of my 1911's there is a positive "click" or detent between the safe and fire positions. I have never had one come off safe while being carried. My Browning HP has no such detent, and I can't recall that ever coming off safe, although I haven't carried it much.

Another thing to consider is that the port side lever on an ambi safety is usually quite a bit narrower than the right side, giving less area to snag. JMHO.
j

dhrith
03-14-2012, 12:52 PM
Once, probably within the first week of carrying it. I used to sit in my truck with a very crappy posture and it had rubbed off on the seatbelt latch. Thereafter I just never sat that way and it's never happened again in the subsequent 10 or so years.

Combat Commander
03-14-2012, 04:47 PM
There fine but they tend to break often.

IMO there is no place for them on a carry gun.

SpecFour
03-14-2012, 07:35 PM
Not the greatest pic. Just snapped it quick to get it uploaded.

http://i514.photobucket.com/albums/t342/igorawrirl/Pew%20Pew/S5000063.jpg

The holster is a Milt Sparks. The back is stamped "CMDR". It covers the trigger as well as the trigger guard/trigger hole, as pkuptruck cautioned (STRONGLY). I think it should do the job.

Thanks for all the feedback. It is much appreciated.

yocan
03-14-2012, 10:51 PM

somehow I doubt the wilson combat double locking version in their bullet proof line has that problem.

even if it breaks guns still going to function, I tested my gun with only the left side in.

that said I don't like having as safety on the outside, if I was a lefty, I would have the safety at minimum be very small on the outside, if not just the flat triangle ish piece of metal with the entire manipulatable part just removed.

shifty_85
03-15-2012, 02:06 AM
never had a prob OC mine in a galco belt holster.

costanza
03-15-2012, 11:58 AM

Never had an issue in 25 years of Lefty 1911 CC w/ ambi. Still had to check very often to make sure, but never had it 'unsafe'.

Combat Commander
03-15-2012, 02:40 PM
Never had an issue in 25 years of Lefty 1911 CC w/ ambi. Still had to check very often to make sure, but never had it 'unsafe'.

Thats nice if it works for you fine.

Guns that get used break parts it a fact of life. If seen regular thumb safety levers break it happens.

BTW how did people use 1911's before the Ambi-Safety ?

juicemon
03-15-2012, 09:20 PM
Maybe they all shot right handed?

Combat Commander
03-15-2012, 09:29 PM

Or maybe they learned to use the weapon with there left hand.

shifty_85
03-16-2012, 02:55 AM

it was a sin to be left handed from 1911 till when ever the first ambi came out! :lipseal:

just kidding. they prob carried with no safety i wouldnt mind having no thumb safety my finger is never on the trigger till im ready to fire but when i carry it i do carry with the thumb safety on.

costanza
03-16-2012, 02:40 PM
Thats nice if it works for you fine.

Guns that get used break parts it a fact of life. If seen regular thumb safety levers break it happens.

BTW how did people use 1911's before the Ambi-Safety ?
I see your point now. I recently bought a used Kimber Ultra Carry II with a standard (right hand only, on left side of gun) safety. The gun is perfect, except for the factory safety. The previous owner was a lefty, as am I. The safety is beat to crap from it being bumped due to southpaw carry! I could see a broken safety lever now that I think about it. My Colt Defender ambi safety was not beat up (that I ever noticed) after years of CC.

As to how we used non-ambi safeties on 1911's-I honestly cannot remember as it has been so long! Using a non-ambi 1911 feels very strange to me, flipping off the righty safety takes seemingly forever.

yocan
03-16-2012, 03:24 PM
lefties shot the way people shoot gi safeties obviously

shifty_85
03-17-2012, 11:31 AM
Just carry with no safety some have the grip safety witch i think is more than enough. but thats just me and i am right handed i carry with the safety on but i feel as if its not really needed but thats just me thinkin out loud

nrich1979
03-22-2012, 11:25 PM
One of my EDC is a Citadel 1911 compact..

I'd be scared to carry this gun without the safety on..

I have a good holster and I won't be running anytime soon..

But the condition one SA on the gun is as close to "hair pull trigger" as I have ever felt..

and not to bag on myself too badly but back fat or shirt tuck seems likely to push the grip safety down especially when driving or sitting..

I suppose if I didn't carry it with the hammer cocked and locked I wouldn't care, but doing so does turn a 1911 benefit into a hindrance..

costanza
03-26-2012, 11:29 AM
One of my EDC is a Citadel 1911 compact..

I'd be scared to carry this gun without the safety on..

I have a good holster and I won't be running anytime soon..

But the condition one SA on the gun is as close to "hair pull trigger" as I have ever felt..

and not to bag on myself too badly but back fat or shirt tuck seems likely to push the grip safety down especially when driving or sitting..

I suppose if I didn't carry it with the hammer cocked and locked I wouldn't care, but doing so does turn a 1911 benefit into a hindrance..
I just fitted my Kimber Ultra Carry II and my Rock Island Armory 1911 with ambi safeties this past weekend. I had to do very little 'fitting' of the safeties in either case. The pressure required to flip the safties off is very high, which I think is a good thing. I am hoping that it won't flip off by itself after reading the comments in this thread. Thanks for the info guys!
Regards,
Costanza

BTW: Also put CT (Pro Series) CT grips on my Kimber. They are set up so the ambi safety clears the laser cylinder on the right side of the gun. Sad thing is, I cannot tell if the laser activator is being pushed by my pants/shirt/belly when I carry it or sit down!

langenc
03-28-2012, 05:59 PM
If the safety is on the outside (or both) it is easy/easier to 'check it' and see if it is still on(safe).

Being able to check it would help many of us-see rich in post #18.

michiganfan
04-01-2012, 05:27 AM
Left handed. Ambi safety. Never have had a problem.