PDA

View Full Version : Website and Forum Notice

Knimrod
12-26-2006, 01:30 PM
The Michigan Gun Owners web site and Community Forums will be off line for a short period during the evening of December 27th and the morning of December 28th while we move to a new server and web host.

This move will require us to change our name server entry which means there may be a short period (<24 hours) where access may be limited while the new address propagates.

Please bear with us as we strive to improve our service.

Feel free to ask any questions or report any problems related to the move in this thread.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Maranatha
12-26-2006, 05:16 PM
Good luck Lance, I know this is a big job for you and I appreciate all your time your putting into this move

Ed Hoffman
12-26-2006, 06:12 PM
Thanks for all your hard work

ED

NickS
12-26-2006, 07:18 PM
Good Luck from me too Lance. I can't begin to imagine the work involved in this let alone all the headaches tweaking it afterwards. I for one (among many I'm sure) appreciate it. :wink: :thumbup: :computer:

Ken P
12-26-2006, 10:03 PM
have 6 or 8 of these :beer: :beer: :beer: and it will go much better :drunk:

Autumnlovr
12-27-2006, 08:26 AM
Good Luck and thanks Lance. As a sidenote, I went to the calendar today and tried to go to January-2007. On the bottom right, where you can "Jump to" a month/year....I could put in January, but the "year" drop-down box only went up to 2006. Do you have to make the adjustment to fix this? Or, is this part of the calendar software?

wwjmaj
12-27-2006, 10:34 AM
Thanks for all your work to keep the forum up and running. As with all tech upgrades, there will be probably be glitches for us and huge headaches for you in the switch. THANKS!

Knimrod
12-27-2006, 01:22 PM
Thank you all for the kind remarks.

You may have noticed that the site is not functioning 100% at the moment. This is not a result of anything I'm doing. Our server is apparently acting up and causing intermittent page loads and database errors. I'm not even able to complete a backup at the moment. This will be necessary before I can start the changeover. I've submitted a trouble ticket so stay tuned.....

Knimrod
12-27-2006, 03:02 PM
The forums should be back to normal for now... Apparently, the problem stemmed from "an abusive user who was suspended".

Now, On to the changeover... I'm planning on taking the forums down around 8:00pm. From there, I'll make the final database backup and upload it to the new server. If all goes well, the propagation will go quickly and the forums will be back up in a few hours. While the propagation is taking place, I'll forward all page requests from the old server to the new server using a temporary ip address so the forums should still be accessible to everyone.

Garbo
12-27-2006, 03:09 PM
just curious,, what can a user do to cause trouble with the server???

KayL
12-27-2006, 04:05 PM
Don't you have to have pass codes and stuff? Oh, forgot... hackers don't need those.

And I echo the others, Knimrod. You do a fantastic job of maintaining this site. It's full of interesting information and news, and you keep it very current. Thanks for the time and effort you put into it.

Knimrod
12-27-2006, 04:15 PM
just curious,, what can a user do to cause trouble with the server???

All kinds of things.. Installing malicious software, bad certificates, spam bots, etc.

Edit: When I said user, I meant "user" in the context of the web hosting service. ..Like I'm one of their "users".

Tank
12-27-2006, 04:19 PM
yes... THANK YOU for all your work that you put into the website!!

Knimrod
12-27-2006, 10:25 PM
Thanks again for all the kind remarks. You've helped motivate me to get this done as quickly as possible.

If you're reading this, you're in the right place, interacting with our new server. Please keep an eye out for glitches, bugs, etc. I think you'll see a notable increase in speed. Your feedback is appreciated.

I'm working on some issues with the default display font so you may see some characters that don't belong.

Thanks again.

Ken P
12-27-2006, 10:29 PM
:scholar:

go to the head of the class sir, I also suggest a 50% raise over your current salary

Knimrod
12-27-2006, 11:16 PM
Until the domain propagates completely (sometimes minutes, sometimes hours), some of you may be here using a redirect from the old server to a temporary domain on the new server. This will affect your cookies and you may have to re-logon when the propagation finally occurs. Do not bookmark the temporary domain.

Garbo
12-28-2006, 01:12 AM
ok well most of us will pretend that we totally understand what you're talking about :stupid:

hehe,, thanks for the hard work,, this computer stuff gives me a headache !!!!

Roger Roney
12-28-2006, 01:54 AM
Hot Dang, you're good Knimrod!!

Didn't notice a thing different. Last checked in just before 8, logged off, went out to dinner, did a few other things after, and checked back in a few minutes ago, thinking I'll get a "not avail" or some such message and, so far, find everything normal.

Fantastic Job, I second that 50% pay increase! :lol:

Roger

wwjmaj
12-28-2006, 10:07 AM
Hot Dang, you're good Knimrod!!

Fantastic Job, I second that 50% pay increase! :lol:

Roger

FASTER. MUCH FASTER! No glitches and up and running in its entirety.

THANK YOU!

Garbo
12-28-2006, 01:06 PM
is there any chance of getting rid of the 60 delay between searching threads?? Or at least lowering it??

Knimrod
12-28-2006, 01:26 PM
is there any chance of getting rid of the 60 delay between searching threads?? Or at least lowering it??

Good idea. Changed to 20 seconds. Let's see how that works. :)

Garbo
12-28-2006, 02:32 PM
Good idea. Changed to 20 seconds. Let's see how that works. :)

ahh yes, much better , we're flying now

Thank You

mkls0
12-28-2006, 02:41 PM
Good job that was fast

comet66
12-28-2006, 07:09 PM
Member support is above and beyond!!!!

Thanks!!

Ed Hoffman
12-28-2006, 09:30 PM
looks good
thanks again

ED

Ken P
12-28-2006, 09:56 PM
Until the domain propagates completely (sometimes minutes, sometimes hours),

I presume we have passed post propagation parameters, i have personally perused pages of posts and have not found any persnickity or problematic pages or posts

Knimrod
12-28-2006, 11:25 PM
I presume we have passed post propagation parameters, i have personally perused pages of posts and have not found any persnickity or problematic pages or posts

I think so.. No major problems noted. I have noticed some posts and some signatures that are affected by the database character collation. I think it has something to do with the export/import of the database between two different versions of MySQL.

Ken P
12-28-2006, 11:47 PM
I think it has something to do with the export/import of the database between two different versions of MySQL.

possibly... programming can be pesky

Garbo
12-29-2006, 01:53 PM
the link to the MGO gear doesnt seem to be working,, i get the below message

Forum Home Shop Categories Products Shop Search Cart / Checkout

Warning: mysql_connect(): Access denied for user.

is this something on my end?? How to fix?

Knimrod
12-29-2006, 02:04 PM
the link to the MGO gear doesnt seem to be working,, i get the below message

Forum Home Shop Categories Products Shop Search Cart / Checkout

Warning: mysql_connect(): Access denied for user.

is this something on my end?? How to fix?

Nice catch. It's fixed now.

I edited your post to remove some potentially sensitive information in that error message.

Garbo
12-29-2006, 02:06 PM
Nice catch. It's fixed now.

I edited your post to remove some potentially sensitive information in that error message.

ok, next time i'll PM it if I see something like that

KayL
12-29-2006, 02:42 PM
Knimrod, is there any way to mark a 'read' post as 'unread' to keep it in the Quick Links so one can go back and read it again later?

Knimrod
12-29-2006, 02:55 PM
Knimrod, is there any way to mark a 'read' post as 'unread' to keep it in the Quick Links so one can go back and read it again later?

I don't know of any way to mark threads as "unread" but you can subscribe to a thread in the "Thread Tools" menu. You can later view subscribed threads from the "Quick Links" menu. You can even set it up in your User CP to email you when a subscribed thread has been replied to.

KayL
12-29-2006, 03:00 PM
Okay. I just thought maybe there were different capabilities with the new stuff. I'm doing the other things but I'm inherently lazy and wanted to save keystrokes.

Autumnlovr
12-29-2006, 06:54 PM
Lance,
Did you catch my post about the calendar? I can't find how to go to 2007. How do we roll the drop-down box to drop some history and add future years?
Otherwise, everything I've tried works great.

Knimrod
12-29-2006, 07:14 PM
Lance,
Did you catch my post about the calendar? I can't find how to go to 2007. How do we roll the drop-down box to drop some history and add future years?
Otherwise, everything I've tried works great.

Yes, Sorry. Should be fixed now...