PDA

View Full Version : Group Hog Hunt

Knimrod
01-03-2007, 01:42 PM
How does this sound?:

A Wild Boar Hunt on 445 private acres of meadow, woods, thickets, swamps and creek bottoms. Use a bow, pistol, rifle, muzzle loader or whatever. This is a ranch about 30 miles Northeast of Grand Rapids.

$350.00 per person.
This price includes overnight lodging, meals and field dressing of your kill.

Don't like boar? Take a Red Stag (cow) for the same price.

The catch? None really... Okay, no weekends available until mid April. However, weekdays are available. A $50.00 (per person) deposit would be required at time of booking.

Who's interested?

Tallbear
01-03-2007, 02:00 PM
I'm in...........maybe one of each.

Tank
01-03-2007, 04:35 PM
when do you need to officially know by? I'd like to, but have to weigh out my $$ situation.

Any clue how big the stag's get (how much meat after processing)? Are the boar's just feral pigs or russians?

I am DEFINATELY interested, but the time frame will be a deciding factor.

Knimrod
01-03-2007, 05:51 PM
I'm just putting this out "there" to see if there's interest in a group hunt. No date has been established but personaly, I would prefer sooner rather than later...meaning within 15-45 days. That would mean a weekday hunt.

When I asked about the hunt quality, they said the big "Russian Boars" don't run like the smaller ones which are more difficult to shoot apparently. I'm not sure how big the Red Stag are but I'm guessing that since they're cows, they'll be smaller.

Keep the questions coming though and when we get a few more, I'll go get the answers. :)

If you've ever checked around and priced a hog hunt, you'll agree that this is an exceptional price. To include bunkhouse lodging and meals makes it that much better of a deal.

Sounds like a blast to me!!

alex-vitek
01-03-2007, 08:59 PM
A suggestion. Gather up the questions and then go with a buddy up to the property. Make a day trip out of it. Take a look and ask the questions right there while taking a look around. That is what we did years ago when we planned out a trip to a ranch up in the thumb. Maybe you have already done it.

I do remember hearing/reading about a place over that way. If memory serves right they were one of the largest breeders of Russian Boar in the state. The place I read about supplied large hogs to many of the game ranches in the rest of the state.

Price is not bad at all. Would consider it but timing is off along with disposable income has already been earmarked for a few other projects.

Can you supply a website for the place (if they have a website)??

Knimrod
01-03-2007, 09:56 PM
I may well drive over there this weekend. I've already gotten some pretty good feedback on them though.

This is the place: Super G Ranch (http://www.supergranch.com/index.htm)

RSF
01-03-2007, 10:26 PM
i would be in and offer up to help guide and film the hunts for the crew

Knimrod
01-03-2007, 10:36 PM
i would be in and offer up to help guide and film the hunts for the crew

That would be great!

Garbo
01-04-2007, 10:27 AM
this place is about 5 miles from my little getaway. Maybe we can have a little bbq after

45 acp
01-04-2007, 11:35 AM
This is about 8 miles from where I live. I cant afford this in the next 6 months but if you guys get something going let me know. Maybe we can meet and do some other things around the area. Depending on when it happens.

Garbo
01-04-2007, 02:25 PM
maybe they dont know but this place i believe had buffalo at one pointe and the price was in the ballpark of 650 for them. Lotsa meat there.

Tank
01-04-2007, 04:35 PM
If I could get some time frame of when this would take place (preferrably not 15 days from now) I could give a better comittment to doing this. I would be interested in a Red Stag Cow.

You talk about lodging included... so this means a 2 day hunt? Or one day and you stay the night and leave the next day? If you happen to go up there, get an estimate on the average dressed weight of the Stag & boars, just out of curiosity.

KayL
01-04-2007, 04:59 PM
You know, you guys should all go Hog Hunting, and after each of you get a Hog, you each donate a portion of the Hog to the MGO, and then we arrange a Hog Fest where we can all come and taste the bounty of your Hog Hunt. We'll all be in Hog Heaven. Whaddaythink? (sorry, NickS)

I'll bring potato salad.

Knimrod
01-04-2007, 05:15 PM
If I could get some time frame of when this would take place (preferrably not 15 days from now) I could give a better comittment to doing this. I would be interested in a Red Stag Cow.

You talk about lodging included... so this means a 2 day hunt? Or one day and you stay the night and leave the next day? If you happen to go up there, get an estimate on the average dressed weight of the Stag & boars, just out of curiosity.

The hogs come in all sizes.. If you want a trophy, you find and shoot a big one. If you want vittles, you find and shoot a smaller one. I'm not sure about the stags.. Mike or Steve?

Not really a 2-day hunt but I gather it would be: show up late afternoon / evening on one day, stay the night, then get up bright and early the next to "hunt".

Knimrod
01-04-2007, 05:16 PM
You know, you guys should all go Hog Hunting, and after each of you get a Hog, you each donate a portion of the Hog to the MGO, and then we arrange a Hog Fest where we can all come and taste the bounty of your Hog Hunt. We'll all be in Hog Heaven. Whaddaythink? (sorry, NickS)

I'll bring potato salad.

Geee... Sounds just like the annual picnic. :D

Autumnlovr
01-04-2007, 08:09 PM
Anyone know what their lodging is like? If it's bunkhouse style & I go....I'm not gonna see a bunch of guys running around in their underwear, am I? I have all these bad images in my head of purple thongs (for the newer folks, I'm not the pervert....this is an old MGO joke).:shocked:

Knimrod
01-04-2007, 08:12 PM
It is bunkhouse style lodging but I can assure you that I have no intention of either wearing or seeing any thongs of any color. :)

45 acp
01-04-2007, 09:15 PM
Check with them to see about any discount if they dont provide any lodging or meals as I live only about 8 miles from there.

Autumnlovr may be intrested in this also as there are many motels within 5 to 10 miles from there also

Garbo
01-04-2007, 09:44 PM
what is the name of this place?? I emailed a buddy of mine that has been to the one i think this may be and and he said they have "super bore" there which run 800lbs

Roger Roney
01-05-2007, 04:44 AM
what is the name of this place?? I emailed a buddy of mine that has been to the one i think this may be and and he said they have "super bore" there which run 800lbsI think he already answered that. :lol: :lol:
....This is the place: Super G Ranch (http://www.supergranch.com/index.htm)

Roger

Garbo
01-05-2007, 09:02 AM
sorry i skipped thu the posts pretty quick. didnt see it there,, thx

yes this is the place i was thinking of, right by me up there

Tallbear
01-05-2007, 02:46 PM
All we need is one.............

http://www.cnn.com/video/player/player.html?url=/video/us/2007/01/05/wsb.boar.wsb

Tank
01-05-2007, 04:19 PM
:confused:

Count me out.... I was told I have a choice pig/stag or new T/C Contender (encore or whatever they're called now)... SO... new gun wins out over pig I can get later 8-) .

I'd like to see pics or video of all who go though!

Garbo
01-05-2007, 10:24 PM
All we need is one.............

http://www.cnn.com/video/player/play...5/wsb.boar.wsb

i'm getting a page not found on this link Tallbear

Tallbear
01-05-2007, 10:26 PM
Try this one.....

http://www.cnn.com/video/player/player.html?url=/video/us/2007/01/05/wsb.boar.wsb

Tallbear
01-10-2007, 06:37 PM
We'll be going to Super G Ranch Saturday to check it out and ask questions. If you have a question you would like answered let us know.

I've also been contacted by Wild Steak Ranch in the thumb area about us coming out there for a hog hunt. Price is lower, but no lodging or meal provided. If anyone has hunt at Wild Steak, let us know what you think.

Rolex Dr.
01-10-2007, 08:22 PM
depends on day im very interested in a hog hunt

a 1 day is better but im open

Tallbear
01-12-2007, 06:22 PM
We'll be going to Super G Ranch Saturday to check it out and ask questions. If you have a question you would like answered let us know.

I've also been contacted by Wild Steak Ranch in the thumb area about us coming out there for a hog hunt. Price is lower, but no lodging or meal provided. If anyone has hunt at Wild Steak, let us know what you think.

Tomorrows trip to Super G Ranch has been cancelled.

Still looking for input on Wild Streak Ranch........Anybody???

Autumnlovr
01-12-2007, 07:28 PM
LOL. MIke, I tried to Google the ranch the first time you posted it & came up blank. Well.....when you type in Wild Steak instead of Wild Streak....it makes a difference. This place is due north of me by maybe 65 miles but I'm not familiar with it. I'm still checking out their website....no opinion yet.

Tallbear
01-12-2007, 07:55 PM
I've talked with them on the phone, but it's always nice to talk to someone that's hunted a place.

Garbo
01-12-2007, 10:53 PM
I will be up there sometime this week for business (my place but 5 miles from there),,, so if you want post whatever specific questions or concerns you want addressed and I should be able to stop by. I'll have my digitle camera/cam corder with me so if they're cool with it i'll shoot some vids and pics. I dont know yet that I could make the hunt but I'd be happy to check it out for ev1

Garbo
01-16-2007, 04:54 PM
did this idea die out??? i'll be in the area friday if anyone still wants it looked at

Tallbear
01-16-2007, 05:34 PM
Who would be interested in a group hunt at Wild Streak Ranch in Feb. ? Cost is $250. for a hog and they run between 180# -250#. Good eating size..........

Post up here if you want to be counted.

RSF
01-16-2007, 06:38 PM
mike how many acres is it? il lbe back from ata in a few days ill check in later on this

fbuckner
01-16-2007, 06:51 PM
when is the hunt? this year or next? Does this include butchering? grinding and spicing or just the pig gutted?

RSF
01-16-2007, 07:08 PM
my guess is just gutted but what is the LAND LAYOUT AND THE SIZE OF THE FENCED IN AREA ......

IF ITS WALK AND SHOOT ILL Pass, it says shot from 0-50yds makes me think

and when yah see guys saying its beeter than africa i wonder were he hunted in africa,,,,,,,,, check there guest book.

Garbo
01-16-2007, 08:22 PM
do they have a website up that we can take a look at??? Get me the address and I can post an ariel view as well of the land

Knimrod
01-16-2007, 08:25 PM
We're currently working on a date. What's the preference for everyone? Weekday or weekend? Weekends are booked through March (at least) at Super G.

At either place the price includes field dressing. You'll have to find your own butcher. I did some checking and a butcher in Mason charges $.43 per pound to start. I'm guessing there are options that will raise the price. I was told a pig will yield about half of its total weight in usable meat.

Wild Streak Ranch is 40 acres. Super G is close to 500 acres.

Knimrod
01-16-2007, 08:27 PM
do they have a website up that we can take a look at??? Get me the address and I can post an ariel view as well of the land

Super G Ranch Website (http://www.supergranch.com/index.htm)

Wild Streak Ranch Website (http://www.wildstreakranch.com/index2.htm)

Tallbear
01-16-2007, 08:30 PM
when is the hunt? this year or next? Does this include butchering? grinding and spicing or just the pig gutted?

We're thinking sometime in Feb. and includes dressed pig. Processing is up to you.

When I talked to them they said it's 40 acres of thick under brush and swamp. You'll need boots and open sites because of the thick cover. This is not a true (pure blood) russian but a cross breed. It has the long hiar on the back but not a true russian.

The price is right ($250.) for a meat hunt. And I say "hunt" because it will be what you make of it. Any time you "buy" an animal it's really a havest not a hunt. I don't care if it's 4 acres or 4000 acres.

Knimrod
01-16-2007, 09:47 PM
FWIW, I think this is the satellite image for the area at Wild Streak Ranch (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=925+N.+Kingston+Rd.,+Deford,+MI,+48729&ie=UTF8&z=17&ll=43.507748,-83.19412&spn=0.004225,0.0109&t=k&om=1).

Garbo
01-16-2007, 09:50 PM
lets see if i do this right,, test for a pic

there we go, i can be taught!!!

anyway, not that it shows much but this is the wild steak ranch. I believe the hunting ground is that patch to the south and west of the star. The star is the location of the main address. Quiet a few structures around there it seems eh?? The land to the east is the only other area I see possible to hunt.

my map places it slightly more north than your Knimrod, mine is also from further out,, which could be why i'm showing more buildings

Knimrod
01-24-2007, 12:08 PM
How does this sound?:

A Wild Boar Hunt on 445 private acres of meadow, woods, thickets, swamps and creek bottoms. Use a bow, pistol, rifle, muzzle loader or whatever. This is a ranch about 30 miles Northeast of Grand Rapids.

$350.00 per person.
This price includes overnight lodging, meals and field dressing of your kill.

Don't like boar? Take a Red Stag (cow) for the same price.

It looks like were on for a hunt on the morning of February 5th (Monday) at the "Super G Ranch" in Morley. The cost will be $350. to take either a Boar or a Red Stag cow. Please let Tallbear or I know if you're interested.

I plan on being there at 8:30am. I'm sure they would provide lodging on Sunday night if enough people require it.

Autumnlovr
01-24-2007, 09:12 PM
No can do in this timeframe. Maybe next time.

Tallbear
02-05-2007, 08:52 PM
It looks like were on for a hunt on the morning of February 5th (Monday) at the "Super G Ranch" in Morley. The cost will be $350. to take either a Boar or a Red Stag cow. Please let Tallbear or I know if you're interested.

I plan on being there at 8:30am. I'm sure they would provide lodging on Sunday night if enough people require it.

What a great day with a couple great guys. Todd and Rod are A1 hunting partners. I'd hunt with them again anytime. Pictures will be posted soon.

And yea...........It was cold out there today, but I wouldn't have missed it for anything this old world has to offer.:banana:

Garbo
02-06-2007, 10:20 PM
so how was the place?? how was the lodging??? fill us in

Knimrod
02-06-2007, 11:17 PM
The hunt at Super G Ranch was a great experience for me. The people operating it were very friendly and the hunting grounds were expansive. None of us spent the night there but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone. We spent some time before and after our hunt in the bunkhouse and it was really nice. It would be a great place for people to spend time together, drink beer and swap stories the night before a hunt. Mrs. "G" even cooked us a late lunch after our hunt. The bunkhouse was full of interesting game mounts, had a separate sleeping area, a bar, kitchen and dining area. There was probably more I didn't see.

The ranch boasts over 500 acres and I believe it but our hunt was confined to about a 150-200 acre wooded area. Les, the owner and our guide, was friendly and very knowledgeable of his land and the game. He took the time to show us things like tracks, nesting areas, ground dug up by the hogs, etc.

We hiked through the woods for over 2 hours solid in low single digit temperatures only stopping long enough to take a careful look at likely locations for game. The woods were dense and the ground uneven with all kinds of snow hidden obstacles to trip over. The snow was knee deep in some places. There was some frozen swamp area also. This area seemed soft but it was dry when I sank my foot into it a few unintended times. Strangely, I was never uncomfortably cold even though my mustache kept freezing up on me.. :)

I'm not a very experienced hunter but this trip definetely stoked that fire. I want to do it more! For a "canned" hunt, I thought it was pretty darn good. This was definetely not a "pet and shoot". I saw lots of different wild game. Pronghorn, Red Stag, Whitetails, Buffalo, Elk, Fallow deer, and more that I can remember to name right now. They say a ranch hunt like this will be what you make of it and I'd like to think I made the most of the experience. I certainly enjoyed it.

Rod, our scholarship awardee, did a great job. After trudging through thickly wooded terrain for hours, we spied a small herd of Stag through some very dense cover. He found a place where he could hide himself and picked out a nice hind. He waited very patiently for a clear shot through all the trees and fired a well placed shot that dropped the animal in its tracks.

I found a boar the size I was looking for and shot it. I used my FAL G1 with a 4X scope. Them pigs are tough! My first shot went clean through it's neck and it barely flinched though it did look a little err.. angry. My second shot was aimed behind its shoulder and I took out both its lungs. It dropped immediately. I did a little research before the hunt and I saw it suggested that a neck shot was the best one to take.. My personal experience found this not necessarily to be the case.

Mike's boar was taken with a 4" S&W .44 magnum handgun. We found out some drawbacks to low temperature hunting... Electronic devices like cameras and red dot scopes don't operate very well at 1-2 degrees F. We had to keep the cameras inside our coats. Mike brought his 50 Beuwolf but the only sight on it was a red dot which refused to function so he used the .44 mag with open sights.

This was truly a fantastic experience with good people. I found it very rewarding and a pleasant memory I'll cherish for the rest of my life. I sincerely hope to do more hunting with Rod, Todd and Mike in the future.

I've uploaded some pictures that I took to the gallery (http://www.migunowners.org/photoplog/index.php?c=23) and will post a video of Rod shooting his Red Stag soon.

RSF
02-06-2007, 11:25 PM
Lance what ammo were you using in the 308......

I have dropped them with a 223 in the neck.

either way it looked like fun and good job.

Knimrod
02-06-2007, 11:32 PM
Lance what ammo were you using in the 308......

I have dropped them with a 223 in the neck.

either way it looked like fun and good job.

Pretty standard mil surplus ball ammo. I examined the wound after fact. It went clean through the neck at about the mid point. I guess I just missed the spine or major blood vessels.

RSF
02-07-2007, 12:21 AM
yeah better off with a hunting round in 308 ball sucks on critters

i used federal 223 bonder bear claw in 62 or 64 grain bullet on a 260 pounder dropped it. in its tracks.........

was tallbear using a hakko or strike dot there battery life is nadda in the cold

always carry spares.......

ps trick we use on cold weather hunts and filming handwarmes taped to the cameras and spares in muffs with the same,..

steely171
02-07-2007, 12:43 AM
::
What a great day with a couple great guys. Todd and Rod are A1 hunting partners. I'd hunt with them again anytime. Pictures will be posted soon.

And yea...........It was cold out there today, but I wouldn't have missed it for anything this old world has to offer.:banana:Coming from a man of his word you will Hunt and Fish with Todd again.I am looking forward to this day Mike.Rod talked my leg off all the way home.We spent about three or for hours showing everyone he could think of.He made sure to tell the(ONE SHOT ONE KILL)he also gave you guy's some friendly ribbing about all the shooting you guy's did to bring down the Hogs:pistols: :mg: :bigun2::ak2::cannon:

Knimrod
02-07-2007, 12:46 AM
I was eyeing some .308 soft point ammo at Meijers before the hunt. I just wasn't sure how necessary it was or how well my FAL would feed it.

I'm not sure which sight Mike was using.. I'm sure he'll chime in here though. The hand warmer on the cameras is a good idea.. I'll have to remember that.

Thanks!