PDA

View Full Version : H.B. 5498 permit to purchase

Tallbear
03-23-2012, 10:13 AM
HB 5498 of 2012 (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=2012-HB-5498)
Criminal procedure; sentencing guidelines; sentencing guidelines for certain firearm violations; revise to reflect changes in substantive laws. Amends secs 11b & 16m, ch. XVII of 1927 PA 175 (MCL 777.11b & 777.16m). TIE BAR WITH: HB 5225'11, HB 5499'12
Last Action: 3/21/2012 printed bill filed 03/21/2012

spartywrx
05-16-2012, 06:43 PM
on the docket for 5/17/2012 in the judiciary committee.

midwestfisherman
05-24-2012, 10:03 PM
From NRA-ILA email

Michigan House Committee Votes to Repeal Permit to Purchase Today

After two weeks of consideration, the Michigan House Judiciary Committee today passed House Bill 5225 as amended; important and long-overdue legislation that would eliminate the state handgun “permit-to-purchase” and registration requirements. This committee also approved House Bill 5498, sponsored by state Representative Richard LeBlanc (D-18), and House Bill 5499, sponsored by state Representative Ray Franz (R-101). All three bills were supported by the Republican members of this House committee and not a single Democrat voted to support any of them. All three bills now go to the full House for a vote.

HB 5225 as amended would abolish the bureaucratic “permit-to-purchase” handguns which became obsolete when the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) took effect in 1998. Under the current state system, gun buyers must apply with their local law enforcement agency and pass a written test before being authorized to buy a handgun. This “permit” is valid for only one gun and it expires after ten days. Since 1998, federal law has required a national criminal records check for the purchase of any firearm from any gun dealer in every state. Some of the key points of HB 5225 as amended are:

Repeal the state requirement for someone to ask for police permission to purchase a firearm by traveling to a local police station and obtaining a permit to purchase.
Repeal the requirement to register a completely legally purchased and owned firearm by a law-abiding citizen to be registered with the government through the police.
Adopt the use of the federally-funded National Instant Criminal Background Check System.
Default to the federal standard of prohibited persons and each purchase would still require a background check.
Cut Michigan’s costs by using the federally-administered instant background check system and eliminate wasted man-hours of tracking lawful gun owners in Michigan.
The NRA has been working diligently to repeal this antiquated, costly and unnecessary obstacle for gun owners and has coordinated with several state Representatives to produce the new language for HB 5225. Its two companion bills also passed in this committee.

These three bills passed the committee today despite the last-minute change in position of the Michigan State Police. Although the MSP had stated their neutrality since HB 5225’s introduction, they changed their position at the last minute today and tried to sabotage their passage. At this time, the MSP is officially opposed the HB 5225 and will be working against our attempts to remove these obsolete state laws.

This is not the first time the MSP has been on the wrong side of an important pro-gun bill. For example, during the concealed carry debate, the MSP actively opposed that bill claiming that law-abiding citizens were not responsible enough to carry firearms for self-defense and that violent crime would skyrocket. They have been proven wrong on concealed carry and they are wrong to oppose a rights restoration bill such as HB 5225.

Thank you to our members for contacting the House committee members prior to today's hearing. All NRA members across Michigan now need to contact your state Representative TODAY and respectfully urge him or her to support HB 5225. To find your state Representative’s contact information, please click here.

screagles
05-24-2012, 10:15 PM
So is this bill passed? If so, is it effective immediately?

tdbrown1969
05-24-2012, 10:24 PM
So is this bill passed? If so, is it effective immediately?Passed the house commitee now headed the the full house for vote

Bronson
05-25-2012, 02:13 AM
So is this bill passed? If so, is it effective immediately?

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(ffz5ot45zhq5cm55rma2rj45))/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-Article-IV-27

No immediate effect unless passed by a supermajority vote.

Bronson

zigziggityzoo
05-25-2012, 07:53 AM
No immediate effect unless passed by a supermajority vote.

Bronson

While this is technically true, MOST of the laws passed by our legislature gloss over this requirement.

Rachel Madcow gets riled up about this by blaming republicans for glossing over this requirement ( http://maddowblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/06/11060678-about-that-michigan-story?lite ) and then she later learned that nearly every bill Democrats passed were A) With immediate effect and B) glossed over the requirement, too.

RDak
05-25-2012, 10:36 AM
I figured the MSP would oppose this change. They always do.

I just emailed my State Rep asking him to vote to pass this Bill.

It is looking good now that the GOP is in control.

fastlane1986
05-25-2012, 03:42 PM
What does one do if they are purchasing a used handgun from an individual?

Yance
05-25-2012, 04:33 PM
You write a bill of sale that states something along the lines of :

"______is selling a pistol, Make, Model, Serial #, to ______. To the knowledge of both parties involved this sale is a legal firearm transaction. _______affirms that this firearm was purchased legally, is the current legal owner, and is being sold legally. Both parties are allowed under the law to sell and purchase a firearm and are not prohibited from selling, buying, or possessing any firearms within this state."

both parties sign and date.

then you keep the record of your sale to the individual in case there's in incident where you need to prove it was sold.

jrt
05-26-2012, 12:32 PM
When does the full house vote take place? If they pass it, when would it take effect?

Roundballer
05-26-2012, 01:08 PM
When does the full house vote take place? If they pass it, when would it take effect?
This bill is tie-barred to H.B. 5225, Both ( and 5499) need to make it through the House first. They have been reported out of committee, now they go to the full house, where they can get all sorts of amendments. Finally, when the House passes them (if they do), the bills get transmitted to the Senate. After that (if the Senate passes them, they could just get buried in another committee) it goes on to the Governor, who could either sign, or veto.

hopeitsfast
05-26-2012, 01:31 PM
Does this actually have a chance? I'm thinking this is DOA. Am I off base thinking that?

spartywrx
05-26-2012, 03:16 PM
A couple points

1. The full House vote is expected sometime in June. This means the time to contact your reps is NOW. Email, call, snail mail them. Who is your rep? Click here to find them: http://www.house.mi.gov/mhrpublic/

2. The State Police (and Chiefs of Police) are officially opposed to the bill (much like they opposed concealed carry). This makes passage harder. It would be good to note something along the lines of what the NRA ILA said in their last email blast. Do so politely and don't bash the MSP. Interesting to note that the Sheriffs (an elected official) do not have a position on the bill.

NRA ILA:

At this time, the MSP is officially opposed the HB 5225 and will be working against our attempts to remove these obsolete state laws.
This is not the first time the MSP has been on the wrong side of an important pro-gun bill. For example, during the concealed carry debate, the MSP actively opposed that bill claiming that law-abiding citizens were not responsible enough to carry firearms for self-defense and that violent crime would skyrocket. They have been proven wrong on concealed carry and they are wrong to oppose a rights restoration bill such as HB 5225.

3. If your rep is a Republican or a "blue dog Democrat" type, contact them and politely ask them to support HB 5498, HB 5499, and HB 5225 (they come as a package). If your rep is a typical Democrat, contact them to oppose HB 5644. Hopefully if we create a fight over Stand Your Ground they won't see registration repeal coming.

I'll be following this and will try to think of a way to make a form email for your rep. The total count of emails sent in support of repeal of registration was 192. Great job guys!

rabbivj
05-27-2012, 04:13 AM
one of the things i love about living in GA...dont have to deal with this BS...I hope this passes...

luckless
05-29-2012, 12:09 PM
A couple points

I'll be following this and will try to think of a way to make a form email for your rep. The total count of emails sent in support of repeal of registration was 192. Great job guys!
Liked the form email. Good job! Would it be possible to set one up for "Thank Yous"? I think it is as important to let our elected officials know when they do something right. I realize that means more work, just a thought.

Leader
05-29-2012, 01:48 PM
What does one do if they are purchasing a used handgun from an individual?

As of right now, you go to your local police department & get a permit to purchase. Then you take it to whomever you are buying the gun from & both fill it out. Then you mail in the copies marked for the police.

If this passes as it is now, you go buy the gun just the same as you would any long gun here in MI. No more complicated then buying a blue shirt from me or your neighbor.

Leader
05-29-2012, 01:51 PM
You write a bill of sale that states something along the lines of :

"______is selling a pistol, Make, Model, Serial #, to ______. To the knowledge of both parties involved this sale is a legal firearm transaction. _______affirms that this firearm was purchased legally, is the current legal owner, and is being sold legally. Both parties are allowed under the law to sell and purchase a firearm and are not prohibited from selling, buying, or possessing any firearms within this state."

both parties sign and date.

then you keep the record of your sale to the individual in case there's in incident where you need to prove it was sold.

Absolutely none of this is required by any law in MI at this time or in the foreseeable future.

Yance
05-29-2012, 04:11 PM
Absolutely none of this is required by any law in MI at this time or in the foreseeable future.

I didnt say it was mandatory, I was merely giving an example of what you can do to CYA during a private sale if the bill passes.

spartywrx
05-29-2012, 11:05 PM
Liked the form email. Good job! Would it be possible to set one up for "Thank Yous"? I think it is as important to let our elected officials know when they do something right. I realize that means more work, just a thought.

I think the best way to do that is to thank them for supporting it in the full house. This was only the committee vote. Then you get a a thank you for supporting and a remind them to vote for it.

detroit_fan
05-30-2012, 10:53 AM
Spoke to my rep today over the phone, he told me he doesn't see any reason he won't support these bills, unless some sort of negative amendments get added.

If you want to see registration repealed PLEASE CONTACT YOUR STATE REP NOW!

We have some "gun rights" groups in MI that are not helping with these bills, this so this effort really has to be from the individuals, and we can make the difference. We may not have a shot at this passing after the Nov elections, so please do what you can to help while we have a chance.

spartywrx
06-06-2012, 01:12 PM
Bill will be voted on next week. Please contact your legislators today to ask them to support this bill.

Click here to find your legislator and send a unique message (vote yes on HB 5498, HB 5499, HB 5225)
http://www.house.mi.gov/mhrpublic/

Or if you're lazy:

BUMP for new emailer system

Click the link to send a message of support to your specific representative to repeal pistol registration! The emailer will send a message to your representative in the House.

Edit snip. new email system created

The House votes next week so share this will everyone you know!

spartywrx
06-07-2012, 12:06 AM
bump

RDak
06-07-2012, 07:29 AM
Email sent.

drednought57
06-07-2012, 08:33 AM
Sent!

Norton
06-07-2012, 08:39 AM
Me too! Sent
N

backhandman
06-07-2012, 08:51 AM
one from me as well.

spartywrx
06-08-2012, 05:30 PM
Thanks guys, we've had 32 legislator emails sent so far.

For everyone on twitter here is a partial (some don't do twitter) list of twitter handles of state representatives. A friendly reminder early next week would be great. They meet Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. A quick tweet to remind them to vote yes can't hurt:

House of Reps Twitter list (https://twitter.com/#!/spartywrx/michigan-house-of-reps/members) (let me know if it doesn't work)

spartywrx
06-09-2012, 12:21 AM
Toot Toooot!

Spartywrx here blowing the horn to get registration repealed

Click here to see how well my emailer program is working. It lists who has been emailed and how many times

Edit snip. new email system created

Only 42 of the 110 representatives have been contacted. Come on people we can do better!

spartywrx
06-11-2012, 11:23 PM
Bump

Bill will be voted upon this week. If it passes look out for the Senate committee email system.

Tallbear
06-13-2012, 09:27 AM
HB 5498 of 2012 (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=2012-HB-5498)
Criminal procedure; sentencing guidelines; sentencing guidelines for certain firearm violations; revise to reflect changes in substantive laws. Amends secs 11b & 16m, ch. XVII of 1927 PA 175 (MCL 777.11b & 777.16m). TIE BAR WITH: HB 5225'11, HB 5499'12
Last Action: 6/12/2012 placed on third reading

detroit_fan
06-13-2012, 04:25 PM
looks like it passed the house

spartywrx
06-14-2012, 05:18 PM
bump

The pistol registration bills passed the House! We need your help to get the bill out of the Senate. The bills are now in the Senate Judiciary Committee. Here is the new form to send an email to the clerk of the Judiciary Committee in support of this bill. I'll also be sending out an email to everyone who sent one in to update them on this bill.

Here's the link

http://www.emailmeform.com/builder/form/Co5e23UTgh7

Update 6/15/12 3:30pm

Some people have been getting their emails kicked back from the senate clerk. She REQUIRES an address so that you can prove you're not a spam bot and you live in Michigan. She's been emailing people who didn't provide a home address. Sorry about that. Your home address is set for deletion in the program after it is sent out when you use the form. The only info I use is your email to send you an update (for when its on the full Senate floor, and then one to get Snyder to sign it). All other info is deleted.

MSGT
06-14-2012, 07:28 PM
Form has been sent.

Dansjeep2000
06-14-2012, 07:30 PM
Sent

RDak
06-15-2012, 05:07 AM
Both the wife and I sent the email.

Plus I forwarded the email to friends I think might be interested.

drednought57
06-15-2012, 08:00 AM
Sent and Forwarded to friends

Tallbear
06-15-2012, 10:19 AM
Last Action: 6/14/2012 REFERRED TO COMMITTEE ON JUDICIARY

spartywrx
06-15-2012, 02:50 PM
bump for edit in form. see above

RPMO6
06-22-2012, 11:02 AM
The question to my Representative:
Sent: Wednesday, June 06, 2012 3:07 PM :
Good afternoon to you Representative Haines,
I hope this finds you well.
May I ask what are your thoughts on H.B. 5498?
Thank you.

Her response:
Sent:Wednesday, June 13, 2012 11:04 AM:
Dear RPMO6,

Thank you for your recent e-mail regarding House Bill 5498. I appreciate you taking the time to contact me and I apologize for the delayed response.

I recently supported the second reading of House Bill 5498 on June 12th in the House of Representatives. As a proud member of the National Rifle Association, I feel this legislation will reduce the costs and the unnecessary timely procedures in purchasing a pistol, while still preventing dangerous and unqualified persons from legal access.

Federal law requires everyone who buys a pistol from a federally licensed dealer to pass an instantaneous background check. However, outdated state laws require Michigan gun owners to also pass a slower background check with more paperwork. We don't need two layers of government protection; we need one good one. The federal background check is more than enough to keep dangerous people from legally buying pistols. The extra, unnecessary regulations don't accomplish anything more than costing gun owners time, money and patience.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me, and please do not hesitate to contact me with any further questions or comments regarding state government.

Sincerely,

Gail Haines
State Representative
43rd District

MSGT
06-22-2012, 11:28 AM
She deserves a big thank you!!

spartywrx
07-14-2012, 05:57 PM
Hearing scheduled 7/18/12.

See this thread for details

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=179308

spartywrx
07-17-2012, 08:29 PM
Bump for tomorrow's meeting

spartywrx
07-18-2012, 06:24 PM
Update: Not voted upon today, word on the street is vote will come in August. See the HB 5225 or thread in general for more details

45/70fan
07-18-2012, 07:18 PM
Update: Not voted upon today, word on the street is vote will come in August. See the HB 5225 or thread in general for more details

With Jones heading up the judiciary committee the bill will never leave committee.

Tallbear
07-18-2012, 11:10 PM
Last Action: 7/17/2012 Analysis File Added

Bronson
07-19-2012, 12:14 AM
Last Action: 7/17/2012 Analysis File Added

In eliminating the requirement to obtain a license to own a pistol, the bills also would eliminate several crimes associated with the violation of this requirement. For example, knowingly selling a pistol without ensuring that the buyer is complying with the licensing requirement, and purchasing a pistol without complying with the licensing requirement, both 90-day and/or $100-fine misdemeanors, would be eliminated. Additionally, forgery of a license or making a false material statement on an application for a license to purchase a pistol, both felonies with maximums of four years and/or $2,000 fines, also would be eliminated. In the five-year period from 2006 to 2010, there were two felony dispositions for forging a license to purchase a pistol; both defendants received probation. Due to the limited number of individuals charged with crimes associated with the licensing requirement, the savings to the criminal justice system of eliminating these felonies and misdemeanors would likely be marginal, or perhaps negligible. Likewise, the elimination of these crimes could result in a marginal amount of forgone penal fine revenue, which would reduce funding contributed to public libraries.

Isn't that just ducky.

Bronson

Roundballer
07-19-2012, 12:27 AM
What about the paragraph just before that one:

FISCAL IMPACT

The bills would eliminate the current requirements that a person obtain a license to own a pistol and that a record of the license be kept within a State database. This would reduce costs for law enforcement in general and for the Department of State Police in particular. Without the responsibility of providing licensing forms and maintaining a State pistol registry, the State Police reports that savings from its firearms record unit would include approximately 2.0 FTEs and $300,000 to $400,000.

I believe that "FTE" is full-time-enployee. So, add the actual $-savings to the cost of two no longer needed in this endeavor employees, it looks like a savings of over 1/2 million per year at the State level. More savings at the local levels too.

This needs to happen.

Quaamik
08-06-2012, 12:10 PM
Has anything more happened with this?

Are we likely to see a vote / passage before the elections or is this a dead bill that will have to be re-introduced?

dbwell00
08-06-2012, 05:34 PM
I read (maybe on here) that there was a Senate vote possible this month? Can anyone confirm this? Thanks

Has anything more happened with this?

Are we likely to see a vote / passage before the elections or is this a dead bill that will have to be re-introduced?

greatlakesman
08-09-2012, 09:33 PM
Are we getting close to this happening?

spartywrx
08-10-2012, 05:50 PM
Word on the street says the committee will vote on this in august sometime. I know nothing further than that.

spartywrx
08-13-2012, 02:52 PM
NOTICE OF SCHEDULED MEETING
**PLEASE NOTE DATE, TIME AND LOCATION**

COMMITTEE: Judiciary

DATE: Wednesday, August 15, 2012

TIME: 10:00 AM

PLACE: Senate Hearing Room, Ground Floor, Boji Tower,
124 W. Allegan Street, Lansing, MI 48933

PHONE: Lauren Michalak (373-5323)
Committee Clerk

AGENDA

HB 4834 Rep. Haines Health; medical marihuana; photograph on medical marihuana card; require.

HB 4851 Rep. Cavanagh Health; medical marihuana; definition of "bona fide physician-patient relationship"; clarify.

HB 4853 Rep. McBroom Criminal procedure; sentencing guidelines; sentencing guidelines for crime of selling or providing medical marihuana to unprescribed user; implement.

HB 4856 Rep. Glardon Crimes; other; transporting medical marihuana in motor vehicle; allow under certain circumstances.

HB 5225 Rep. Opsommer Weapons; firearms; certain procedures for purchase and possession of pistols; revise.

HB 5498 Rep. LeBlanc Criminal procedure; sentencing guidelines; sentencing guidelines for certain firearm violations; revise to reflect changes in substantive laws.

HB 5499 Rep. Franz Crimes; weapons; certain procedures for purchase and possession of pistols; revise.

SB 1043 Sen. Nofs Civil procedure; service of process; process server fees; revise, and allow fees for certain additional services.

SB 989 Sen. Hopgood Family law; child custody; granting of custody or parenting time for parent convicted of certain sexual offenses; prohibit.

Tallbear
08-15-2012, 09:51 AM
Passed out of committee with immediate effect.

It now goes to the senate as a whole for vote.

PTAaron
08-15-2012, 03:44 PM
Passed out of committee with immediate effect.

It now goes to the senate as a whole for vote.
When does the vote happen? I'm a little foggy on how the legislative process works - been too long since I studied it.

45/70fan
08-15-2012, 07:12 PM
When does the vote happen? I'm a little foggy on how the legislative process works - been too long since I studied it.

Slowly if at all is how it works.

spartywrx
08-15-2012, 08:49 PM

Vote happened today. Passed with only Bieda voting against it.

Copy paste from the committee minutes (thanks to Praetorian55 on arfcom):

Senator Jones placed before the committee House Bills 5225, 5498 & 5499 (Reps. Opsommer, LeBlanc & Franz). Senator Jones announced that there was a substitute to House Bill 5499.

The following persons submitted cards, but did not testify, on House Bills 5225, 5498 & 5499: • Mary Lovik, representing the Michigan Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Prevention and Treatment Board—Oppose • Kathy Hagiman, representing the Michigan Coalition to End Domestic and Sexual Violence—Oppose • Chris Hawkins, representing the Michigan State Police—Oppose • Isabelle Terry, citizen—Support

Senator Jones moved that House Bill 5225 be reported out of committee with the recommendation that the bill then pass. The motion prevailed by an affirmative vote of a majority of the members appointed to and serving on the committee, voting as follows: Yeas: Senators Jones, Schuitmaker, Rocca (3/4) Nays: Senator Bieda (1) Pass: none (0) Absent: none (0)

Senator Jones moved the committee recommend immediate effect. Without objection, the committee further recommended that House Bill 5225 be given immediate effect by unanimous consent.

Senator Jones moved that House Bill 5498 be reported out of committee with the recommendation that the bill then pass. The motion prevailed by an affirmative vote of a majority of the members appointed to and serving on the committee, voting as follows: Yeas: Senators Jones, Schuitmaker, Rocca, Bieda (4/4) Nays: none (0) Pass: none (0) Absent: none (0)

Senator Jones moved the committee recommend immediate effect. Without objection, the committee further recommended that House Bill 5498 be given immediate effect by unanimous consent.

Senator Jones moved to adopt the S-1 Substitute to House Bill 5499. The motion prevailed by an affirmative vote of a majority of the members appointed to and serving on the committee, voting as follows: Yeas: Senators Jones, Schuitmaker, Rocca, Bieda (4/4) Nays: none (0) Pass: none (0) Absent: none (0)

Senator Jones moved that House Bill 5499 S-1 be reported out of committee with the recommendation that the bill then pass. The motion prevailed by an affirmative vote of a majority of the members appointed to and serving on the committee, voting as follows: Yeas: Senators Jones, Schuitmaker, Rocca, Bieda (4/4) Nays: none (0) Pass: none (0) Absent: none (0)

Senator Jones moved the committee recommend immediate effect. Without objection, the committee further recommended that House Bill 5499 S-1 be given immediate effect by unanimous consent.

spartywrx
08-18-2012, 03:25 PM
Bam!

New program to email your senator with a quick message of support:

http://www.emailmeform.com/builder/form/6td0y3ALb8JfIaY63Mr

spartywrx
08-19-2012, 09:51 PM
One thing I forgot, we got over 300 emails sent to the Senate Judiciary Committee using this program. Just thought people would want to know that we are making some noise on this issue.

Corona
08-20-2012, 10:35 AM
Email sent to my Senator. Hopefully he reads it.

leavitron
08-20-2012, 01:37 PM
Msg sent. Thank you for providing this service, Spartywrx!

foilero2
08-20-2012, 02:18 PM
August 20, 2012
Dear Mr.---------
Thank you for contacting me to express your support for House Bills 5225, 5498 and 5499, which would most notably eliminate the requirement for an individual to obtain a license from local police before purchasing a handgun in Michigan.
While I understand the concerns you hold about the time and money that goes into enforcing the current Handgun Licensure Law, I hold deep reservations about the unintended consequences that may occur as a result of repealing this provision. This longstanding statute serves an integral role in protecting the safety and well-being of Michigan’s citizens, and eliminating it would put our communities at risk. Thus, while we may fall on different sides of this issue, please be assured that moving forward I will continue to support legislation that protects the health and safety of all citizens in our great state.
Once again, thank you for your correspondence on this important issue. If you have any questions or would like further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me at (517) 373-2406 or senrwarren@senate.michigan.gov.
Sincerely,
Rebekah Warren
State Senator
18th District

spartywrx
08-20-2012, 10:22 PM
August 20, 2012
Dear Mr.---------
Thank you for contacting me to express your support for House Bills 5225, 5498 and 5499, which would most notably eliminate the requirement for an individual to obtain a license from local police before purchasing a handgun in Michigan.
While I understand the concerns you hold about the time and money that goes into enforcing the current Handgun Licensure Law, I hold deep reservations about the unintended consequences that may occur as a result of repealing this provision. This longstanding statute serves an integral role in protecting the safety and well-being of Michigan’s citizens, and eliminating it would put our communities at risk. Thus, while we may fall on different sides of this issue, please be assured that moving forward I will continue to support legislation that protects the health and safety of all citizens in our great state.
Once again, thank you for your correspondence on this important issue. If you have any questions or would like further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me at (517) 373-2406 or senrwarren@senate.michigan.gov.
Sincerely,
Rebekah Warren
State Senator
18th District

Good to hear people are getting responses back, even if they are not good ones. It means we're getting through.

The senate is on break until 9/11/12. Between now and then is the time to hammer them while they are sitting at home doing nothing.

spartywrx
08-23-2012, 08:15 PM
In case anyone is wondering how effective the email program has been, here's a link to where you can see how many emails have been sent so far along with to whom.

Report for Full Senate (https://www.emailmeform.com/builder/reports/W1LkmczCpB8oddjIRa7q)

127 emails sent as of this posting

that guy
08-26-2012, 10:12 PM
I received a reply from Casperson on 8/20/12.

Dear Gary:

Thank you for your e-mail. These bills were recently approved by the Senate Judiciary Committee and so will likely be voted on by the full Senate when we return in September. I do support this legislation and will vote in favor.

I appreciate hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Tom Casperson

State Senator

District 38

karcent
08-31-2012, 08:12 PM
Have you expressed to your legislator the fact that our current handgun registration/purchase permit scheme is based entirely on racism?
Their support of that system is racist? WTF?
See the case of Dr. Ossian Sweet.

spartywrx
09-04-2012, 07:32 PM
Bump

166 emails sent

http://emailmeform.com/builder/reports/W1LkmczCpB8oddjIRa7q

Tallbear
09-13-2012, 09:55 AM
Last Action: 9/11/2012 REFERRED TO COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE

spartywrx
09-27-2012, 05:37 PM
SNYDER IS BLOCKING OUR BILLS

I have an update on these bills which you have expressed support for to your state Senator. Unfortunately after these bills passed committee, they have sat in the Senate without a scheduled vote. Currently these bills are being held and not receiving a vote in the Senate due to opposition by Rick Snyder, Randy Richardville (GOP Senate Majority leader), and the Michigan State Police (which Snyder controls).

Here are some comments by our governor:

"Governor Rick Snyder says he won’t support new legislation to make it easier to buy handguns. The package of bills would no longer force people to license handguns before purchasing or carrying them. It would also get rid of a registry keeping track of handgun owners with criminal backgrounds. The Governor says he’s concerned it would make it too easy for the wrong people to buy handguns. His office says he’s working with bill sponsors to work through those concerns, but he doesn’t support the legislation in its current form. Critics of the proposal say there should be background checks on people who buy firearms gun shows, over the internet, or from private individuals. They say those account for nearly half of all guns purchased in the state. Representative Paul Opsommer is sponsoring the legislation. He told the Capitol news service Gongwer this week 44 other states have similar bills on the books, and haven’t seen any major problems as a result," Jake Neher reports.

(read the full article here: http://michiganradio.org/post/mornin...s-headlines-80 and here: http://michiganradio.org/post/mayors...un-legislation)

We need your help to schedule a vote in the Senate. How can you help?
Once again I have made an automated email system. I know that it seems like there's a new one of these every couple of weeks but every contact we make helps!
http://www.emailmeform.com/builder/f...c5l750dB1yL4T2

Feel free to use it or compose your own email or make a call using the information below. Spread the word on the forums and by email. We are the gun lobby!

Contact Rick Snyder:
rick.snyder@michigan.gov
PHONE: (517) 373-3400
PHONE: (517) 335-7858 - Constituent Services
FAX517) 335-6863
Governor Rick Snyder
P.O. Box 30013
Lansing, Michigan 48909

Senator Randy Richardville
P.O. Box 30036
Lansing, MI 48909-7536

SenRichardville@senate.michigan.gov

(517) 373-3543

(517) 373-0927(fax)

Lt. Governor Brian Calley
P.O. Box 30013
Lansing, Michigan 48909
PHONE: (517) 373-6800
E-MAIL: brian.calley@michigan.gov

Any questions or issues regarding these bills please feel free to contact me.

spartywrx
09-27-2012, 05:55 PM
Click the link to send Snyder a tweet to allow these votes:

Click the link to go to twitter (http://twitter.com/home?status=@onetoughnerd%20Please%20allow%20a%20v ote%20on%20HB5225,%20HB5498,%20and%20HB5499.%20The %20current%20law%20punishes%20law%20abiding%20citi zens.%20We%20need%20these%20bills!)

Click the link to send Calley a tweet to allow these votes:

Click the link to go to twitter (http://twitter.com/home?status=@briancalley%20Please%20allow%20a%20vo te%20on%20HB5225,%20HB5498,%20and%20HB5499.%20The% 20current%20law%20punishes%20law%20abiding%20citiz ens.%20We%20need%20these%20bills!)

leavitron
09-28-2012, 09:38 AM
Received a reply from Richardville this morning. It's a bit generic, but at least I got a response!

Thank you for contacting me about House Bill 5225, 5498, and 5499. I appreciate hearing from my constituents on issues that matter to them.

I have always supported the right to bear arms and as an adamant Second Amendment supporter, I’ve long championed efforts to uphold (and restore) gun owners’ rights. Currently, I am working with the Speaker and the Governor to workout concerns that have been brought up and I will keep your thoughts and suggestions in mind as we continue to work on this legislation. Please know that I am looking at this issue diligently.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best,
Senator Randy Richardville
Senate Majority Leader