PDA

View Full Version : Long Range shooting

fbuckner
01-07-2007, 03:44 PM
I met a USMC Graduate of the Sniper school and whome served this country over sea's. He is wondering if there would be any interest in a class teaching the art of long range shooting from various positions. I think this would be of value to all gun enthusiests whether a hunter or target shooter.
I intend on learning some of his secrets as i see it not everything is up close and personal and under 30 yards. if there is interest I will talk to him about a "CHEAP" fee and location for a summertime event.

RSF
01-07-2007, 04:04 PM
would be good for those target shooters and those who hunt..... not so much for self defense but good for the onthers for sure keep us posted

Knimrod
01-07-2007, 04:08 PM
I'm interested. Lemme know.

ltdave
01-07-2007, 04:28 PM
sounds like a good idea but a couple of questions...

what are you considered long-distance?

where are you considering for a range?

will the targets be reactive or will they be bullseyes?

just a couple of things to mull over...

david

fbuckner
01-07-2007, 05:05 PM
would be good for those target shooters and those who hunt..... not so much for self defense but good for the onthers for sure keep us posted

It's no secret I prefer those long shots that make me feel good. One Shot One Kill. No spray and pray when the target shoots back and you have no cover that is what your doing. Most people unless profesionally trained and combat proven are going to freak out when the lead start flying over their heads. Im man enough to admit it!! Im not going to be anyones hero. Im going to fall back and firm up my position. As far as the question as to how far is long distance and the what where when and why? that is yet to be worked out if there is enough interest. This guy is willing to teach what he was taught in "Sniper School". Alot of guys who were in the service know there is alot to know when it comes to precision shooting. These guys are hand selected to serve as snipers. i guess yardage would be dependant on location and what you choose to shoot. I was thinking about it making us better shots for the hunting. If someone want Ghilie suits and concealment he can teach that also.

RSF
01-07-2007, 05:23 PM
no question that why we train so we dont loose our heads.
and yeap i admit it that why we keep training so we will be better prepared when/if that time comes.

i love the long range goodies thats why i went to wyoming to compete in the d&l shoots of yrs gone past. its always good to learn and refresh the long range hunting/shooting skills. as well as basic for camp perry too. it never hurts to get more.........

as clint smith stated you cant defend to a court of law shooting a man with a sniper rifle at 400yds outside of actual combat..

you could get a local farm to maybe do or the pit in west branch or some gravel yard. would be good options

NickS
01-07-2007, 05:36 PM
I could be interested and I'm sure two of my sons would be too. Of course, we'll need more info but this is a start. Keep us posted Fred.

RSF
01-07-2007, 06:42 PM
will be tough to find a local spot for lang range.

maybe one of the gravel pits locally or.................what does he need 300yds 600yds what is needed

Jerry
01-07-2007, 06:55 PM
Another thing to be considered is what type of firearms are to be used? Just the regular hunting rifle set up? with/without scopes? What positions?

Just wondering...Thanks JR

Done Deal
01-07-2007, 07:34 PM
If we don't get snow pretty soon...my winter practice on running song dogs isn't likely to happen so...I am up for some summertime stationary targets...just have to figure out mirage and such but...sounds like a winner to me.

I don't have any "long range" set ups but...my son and I are ready to lay down or rock n' roll for varmints so, this sounds like fun.

karcent
01-07-2007, 08:17 PM
I would be interested.
Anxious to here details.

fbuckner
01-08-2007, 02:04 AM
as clint smith stated you cant defend to a court of law shooting a man with a sniper rifle at 400yds outside of actual combat..

This class would be intended for those that hunt or like to shoot long range shooting like CMP matches not to defend yourself against missle attacks.

RSF
01-08-2007, 09:53 AM
i know that that why i said,

love the long range goodies thats why i went to wyoming to compete in the d&l shoots of yrs gone past. its always good to learn and refresh the long range hunting/shooting skills. as well as basic for camp perry too. it never hurts to get more.........

i wish we could defend shooting someone from 400 yds out with a sniper rifle though.......... keep us updated

Autumnlovr
01-08-2007, 12:32 PM
Yep, put my hubby and I on the Interest list. He's booked for a Caribou hunt in September....and I keep eyeballing that 12 point across the street @ 350 yards.:biggrin:

RSF
01-08-2007, 12:37 PM
Ill come take care of that deer for you

Tank
01-08-2007, 04:35 PM
Keep me posted as well... sounds interesting.

Batman
01-09-2007, 10:49 PM
depending on location and dates, I'm interested.

Done Deal
01-10-2007, 07:55 AM
Was a decision ever made on exactly what long range is?

fbuckner
01-10-2007, 08:59 AM
he is going to teach the know how of long range shooting. He is going to work with people at 200 yards. He will be getting into how heat and cold humidity and dry air effect the flight path of a bullet. setting up your shot and building a stable shooting platform.

G22
01-10-2007, 12:05 PM
I'm interested!

Done Deal
01-10-2007, 02:47 PM
200? Well, that certainly won't require any tweaking of the rifles...

Sounds interesting.

fbuckner
01-11-2007, 02:07 AM
If everyone could email me this information I can relay it to this fellow. I will get him to sign on this board as soon as I can.

"I was thinking we will first run through basics of marksmanship just an Introductory class including basic breathing, posture, and weapons handling for the first hour or so, then we will move on to the more advanced stuff. It does not matter what caliber they all want to bring, what I will need though is a list of everyone that will attend, and on the list I will need name, age, make model and caliber of the rifle they are bringing, type of optics or sight they are using, and if they are using bipod/sticks/sandbag/sling/unsupported. Also I want to know what they feel their level of shooting experience is. After I get that information I will put together a curriculum for the class."

I will and He will keep all information confidential.
This should be a fun class we are Aiming at a mid summer class.

Tank
01-11-2007, 04:32 PM
pm sent.

G22
01-12-2007, 12:48 PM
fbuckner has exceeded their stored private messages quota and can not accept further messages until they clear some space.

Done Deal
01-12-2007, 01:18 PM
email sent

fbuckner
01-12-2007, 05:03 PM
I need a bigger pm box

G22
02-28-2007, 08:47 PM
http://www.shooterready.com/index.html

Prety cool stuff in this site
Check out the demo

Any word on a date yet?

fbuckner
02-28-2007, 11:18 PM
We picked out a date and place but I havent heard from him in a month. I will try again but i am thinking he got sent back.

KayL
02-28-2007, 11:34 PM
Rick, what's the date and place?

fbuckner
03-01-2007, 12:54 AM
Was in May at my house but this guy I think has been sent back to either the afgan or iraq theater.

RSF
03-01-2007, 08:29 AM
Rick if you really want this to happen ill get you in touch with two of my guys that teach one is an fbi cetifed sniper/counter sniper trainer. and the other is gunnfixr on this board he is a long range rifle instructor from the corp seen active duty in first gulf.

ltdave
03-01-2007, 05:21 PM
no one has answered "how long is Long Distance?"

david

RSF
03-01-2007, 05:28 PM
the last class i took that involved long range was 600 to 1000yds with movers at 300yds

if i recall it was to be held at ricks farm which would get 200yds i gather it was