PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Annual Michigan Youth Hunt

jci63
01-10-2007, 09:49 AM
2nd Annual Michigan Youth Hunt

In 2006 we had maybe 8 entries for the contest. Being the first year of this official Youth Hunting opportunity, maybe some folks were just skeptical. In today’s world, I must agree, somebody doing something to benefit someone else is a rare thing. I hope this special hunt will spark others in the Sporting Community to do the same. We look forward to this years 2nd Annual Michigan Youth Hunt.

Thank you, for all the supporters and people who made this hunt happen in 2006! This year we hope to obtain several new sponsors to make this hunt a huge success.
IF you or your organization would like to donate a prize please send an e-mail to michiganyouthhunt@yahoo.com

2nd ANNUAL MICHIGAN YOUTH HUNT

We are looking to take two Youth Hunters on the Michigan Youth Hunt this year 2007. You are responsible for transportation, license, food and lodging. You must have not shot a deer yet.

If you don’t have a rifle, I have a youth model 243 savage available, bolt action with a 3x9 scope. I will provide the ammo to go with the gun! We also have another gun and Ammo available if the other hunter does not have a gun. Their will be no charge for using the gun or the ammunition.

This is a rifle hunt only, the hunt is always on the weekend, and is for 2 days only. You must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. You must be between the ages of 12-16 at the time of the hunt. Normally, the Youth Hunt is on the last weekend in September.

There is no cost (zero) for the actual hunt, usage of the rifle or ammo. The only cost you will have will be transportation, food, lodging, and your tag.

We will be hunting in many different areas, some private land and some state land. Last years contest winner harvested a very nice 6 point.

The winners will be picked and posted September 1st!
Here is a current list of sponsors that are making this hunt happen.

John’s Mobile Marine Service 231-330-0887
Daylight in the Swamp Taxidermy 231-347-9789

Here’s how it works, all contestants send an e-mail stating why they think they should be picked for this hunt. On September 1st, 2007 we will announce the winners. Below is the e-mail address to send in your entry.

Please send an e-mail stating why you should be picked to michiganyouthhunt@yahoo.com. MUST NOT HAVE SHOT A DEER BEFORE!

If you would like to donate an item to the 2nd Annual Michigan Youth Hunt Contest,
Please e-mail me at michiganyouthhunt@yahoo.com

LISTED BELOW IS THE INFORMATION FOR THE 2006 SEASON – I WILL UPDATE WHEN THE 2007 INFORMATION BECOMES AVAILABLE HERE ARE THE WINNING LETTERS FROM LAST YEARS HUNT

2006 Youth Firearm Deer Season

In 2006 the youth firearm deer season was on September 23-24, 2006, on all lands in Michigan. Youths 10-16 years of age may take one deer during this special two-day season. Youths 10 and 11 cannot hunt deer with a firearm and are restricted to archery-only hunting.

A firearm, combination or antlerless license or Deer Management Assistance (DMA) permit authorizing the youth to take a deer with a firearm, may be used if issued for the area/land upon which hunting. Archery and junior archery licenses are not valid during this season. The kind of deer which may be taken is the same as during the regular November firearm deer season. All youth hunters are required to wear Hunter Orange. The youth must be accompanied by an adult at least 18 years of age or older. An adult accompanying a youth firearm deer hunter cannot possess or carry a firearm or bow and arrow and does not need a deer hunting license. It is unlawful to use bait during this season.

Youth Firearm Deer Season

There will be a youth firearm deer season Sept. 23-24, 2006, on all lands
in Michigan. Youths 10-16 years of age may take one antlered deer during this
special two-day season or one antlerless deer if the youth obtained an antlerless
license or possesses a Deer Management Assistance permit. Youths 10 and 11
years of age are restricted to archery-only hunting. Youths 12 and 13 are restricted to firearm hunting only on private land.

A firearm, combination or antlerless license or a DMA permit authorizing the
youth to take a deer with a firearm may be used if issued for the area/land upon
which hunting. The youth must be accompanied by an adult at least 18 years of
age or older. An adult accompanying a youth firearm deer hunter cannot possess
or carry a firearm or bow and arrow and does not need a deer hunting license.
Hunters may not use bait during this season. All youth hunters are required to
wear Hunter Orange. Archery and junior archery deer licenses are not valid for
this hunt.

LETTERS FROM THE WINNERS AFTER THE HUNT

Youth hunt 2OO6

Hi my name is Eric my daughter got picked to do the youth hunt.I am replying to tell you that this was a hunt of a life time for myself and my daughter.I will start of by telling you she did not get a deer.That was the only bad part of the whole weekend. Iwill start of by telling you she had many chances to shoot from a large doe to a spike horn up to a good 6 point.She has spent many hours in the woods but when it came down to it buck fever was to great.She felt very bad that she let down everybody.I told her that she did not let anybody down it was just part of hunting. Dad felt really bad but did not tell her.The reason that she got buck fever is that she wanted it that much more then someone that would just shoot and have no emotion.Back to the hunt.When John called us my daughter was beside herself.The many phone calls from John and his friend Ernie(from Day in the swamp taxidermy)made Sarah that much more excited to get up ther and start hunting.We got up there early so Ernie invited use over. After ten minutes I felt like family.He set her up with one of his guns better suited for her and she fired of a few rounds.Then we went over to the place that she was going to hunt with that help of his neighbor Rich and saw 16 deer with one nice 6 point.That made her not sleep much.I want to say right now that the time that John, Erine and Rich had spent to setup scout and host myself and my daughter was more than most people would do for people they don't even know . I guess that it was for the love of hunting and getting others involved in it ( my daughter Sarah) .The youth hunt was what they had to offer and it was the time of our life. It was the best opportunity for a youth that you could ask for.The friendship that we made was hard to put in words. For people that up until that weekend we did not even know that would do so much for us and other youth hunters for the true love of hunting and friendship.I still am having a hard time expressing my thanks for everything that you did for us.I also thank Erines Wife for opening there home for Sarah and I along with filling our bellys with fine cooking.Just like Brittney the other youth hunter the guys took time dring the day to take Sarah fishing to catch some salmon.To watch my little daughter reel in those fish was nothing short of amazing.I could talk much more about everything they did for us but i dont have time to tell it. But what I would say to everyone that has a youth please think about involving your kids in hunting with this youth hunt it is a chance of a lifetime to hunt and make friends that live to hunt and share it with others. Thanks again!!!! We will never forget

(From, Brittneys dad)

Well first of all I would like to thank John for a great time! He is a great guide and a very caring person. My daughter had a great time as well. John was a heck of a guide and even took us fishing, letting Brittney land about 15- 20 salmons. Best of all was the preparation, scouting and the time he took to help guide her in taking down a nice 6pt buck. The look on her face after shooting that buck was out of this world.

I must be honest here..... I was skeptical about taking Brittney on this trip as I myself wondered, "why would these guys do this for these kids." I thought that there had to be a catch, so I asked John and Ernie from Day in the Swamp, why, why would you do this for these kids? They pointed out about how the sport is dying and how they want to pass the sport on to the next generation. They also pointed out how there are so many young kids that are sitting and wasting their lives playing video games because they never had the opportunity to go hunting. Ernie also explained as he held back tears, about how his father taught him to hunt and how he would like to give the same gift to others. He worded it best when he told a story of a Grandfather and grandson that he took on a hunt. He said after the young boy harvested a deer, the grandfathers head swelled with pride and the grandfather cried tears of joy. Ernie said at that point his own wife looked at him and whispered, " now I think I understand why you do this."

Well I can tell you that these guys have two of the biggest hearts I have ever seen. These two guys put the word sport in sportsman! These guys care about this sport and go out of their way to pass the hunting tradition on to the next generation. I am overwhelmed in knowing that there are guys out there that take this much pride in this sport!

While watching John fish, I noticed that most of the kids at the fishing hole knew and respected him. I also noticed that out of all the people fishing, John and the kids that knew him were about the only ones catching fish. My guess is that he probably taught most of them how to do it. I also noticed that most of the kids would release the fish, "above the dam"..to help the salmons trip upsteam easier...just as John would.
John, I have always taking all my girls hunting and fishing with me, but you my friend showed me a whole other side of hunting in a way that I never seen it before.......You have showed me that its not all about me...its about them!
God Bless!

Pics will be posted soon and maybe the video of the hunt! Thanks again!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/jci63/bdeer4.jpg

jci63
02-06-2007, 08:19 AM
Would it be possible to have someone stick this post to the top?

Tallbear
02-06-2007, 10:24 AM
Can do.......

jci63
07-14-2007, 03:10 PM
1st entry for 2007:
Dear John and Ernie,

My name is Keith, I am 15 years old, and I live in Wixom, Michigan. I recently heard about your Youth Hunt program, and I went online and read about last year's hunt. I am so excited to have a chance to be in your program! It sounds like last year's girls had a great time!

To be honest with you, I have never hunted. I've never even had the experience of shooting a gun (other than a bb gun). I live in the city, and no one in my family hunts. There is state land near our house, but there is no one to take me out and teach me to hunt.

I am a very outdoorsy kid - I love fishing, camping, sports, and I KNOW I would LOVE to hunt! I watch hunting shows quite often, always hoping that one day I might get a chance to try it for myself. I would love the chance to shoot a deer - any kind will do! I also love the idea of salmon fishing - sounds like a blast!

I am signed up for the hunter safety course at Multi-Lakes Conservation Assoc. so I'll be ready for the Youth Hunt just in case I get picked. I hope you'll consider choosing me for this year's hunt, since I am already 15 and I'll only have one more year to apply.

I really hope I'll get chosen. This is something I've always wanted to do and I know I would have the time of my life!

Keith

jci63
08-22-2007, 10:52 PM
There is no cost (zero) for the actual hunt, usage of the rifle or ammo. The only cost you will have will be transportation, food, lodging, and your tag.

Winners announced September 1st, 2007

LAST YEARS PRIZES
Donated Prizes to date – 2 Youth Hunts / one each
2 Shoulder Mounts / one each
2 Michigan Gun Owners Hats - signed by Fred Trost
2 $25 gift cards for Gander Mountain / one each
2 $15 one year memberships to SAFR / one each
2 SAFR buttons / one each
$50.00 from the Paul H. Perry Foundation

If you would like to donate an item to the winners of the event. Please e-mail me at michiganyouthhunt@yahoo.com

Garbo
08-26-2007, 08:19 PM
just curious, but with state land, doent the hunter have to be 14 for deer firearm? And private 12 years old? Just trying to cat my facts str8 here.

jci63
08-31-2007, 06:53 AM
PRIZE UPDATE

2nd ANNUAL MICHIGAN YOUTH HUNT

We are looking to take two Youth Hunters on the Michigan Youth Hunt this year 2007. You are responsible for transportation, license, food and lodging. You must have not shot a deer yet.

If you don’t have a rifle, I have a youth model 243 savage available, bolt action with a 3x9 scope. I will provide the ammo to go with the gun! We also have another gun and Ammo available if the other hunter does not have a gun. Their will be no charge for using the gun or the ammunition.

This is a rifle hunt only, the hunt is always on the weekend, and is for 2 days only. You must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. You must be between the ages of 12-16 at the time of the hunt. Normally, the Youth Hunt is on the last weekend in September.

We will be hunting in many different areas, some private land and some state land. Last years contest winner harvested a very nice 6 point.

The winners will be picked and posted September 1st!
Here is a current list of sponsors that are making this hunt happen.

John’s Mobile Marine Service 231-330-0887

Daylight in the Swamp Taxidermy 231-347-9789

2 Hats & 2 Sweatshirts and a few other items
From MGO (Michigan Gun Owners)

2- $25 Gander Mountain gift cards
2- $15 one-year memberships in SAFR
2- SAFR buttons
2- SAFR bumper stickers
From SAFR (Shooter's Alliance for Firearms Rights)

If you would like to donate an item to the 2nd Annual Michigan Youth Hunt Contest,
Please e-mail me at michiganyouthhunt@yahoo.com

Here’s how it works, all contestants send an e-mail stating why they think they should be picked for this hunt. On September 1st, 2007 we will announce the winners. Below is the e-mail address to send in your entry.

Please send an e-mail stating why you should be picked to michiganyouthhunt@yahoo.com. MUST NOT HAVE SHOT A DEER BEFORE!

jci63
09-01-2007, 01:54 PM
The 2007 2nd Annual Michigan Youth Hunt Winners

You will be notified by e-mail and receive a phone call to confirm. Congratulations

Dear John and Ernie,

My name is Keith, I am 15 years old, and I live in Wixom, Michigan. I recently heard about your Youth Hunt program, and I went online and read about last year's hunt. I am so excited to have a chance to be in your program! It sounds like last year's girls had a great time!

To be honest with you, I have never hunted. I've never even had the experience of shooting a gun (other than a bb gun). I live in the city, and no one in my family hunts. There is state land near our house, but there is no one to take me out and teach me to hunt.

I am a very outdoorsy kid - I love fishing, camping, sports, and I KNOW I would LOVE to hunt! I watch hunting shows quite often, always hoping that one day I might get a chance to try it for myself. I would love the chance to shoot a deer - any kind will do! I also love the idea of salmon fishing - sounds like a blast!

I am signed up for the hunter safety course at Multi-Lakes Conservation Assoc. so I'll be ready for the Youth Hunt just in case I get picked. I hope you'll consider choosing me for this year's hunt, since I am already 15 and I'll only have one more year to apply.

I really hope I'll get chosen. This is something I've always wanted to do and I know I would have the time of my life!

Keith

------------------------------------------------------------------------

HI once again, My name is Sarah and I live in Grosse Pointe, Michigan. I was picked for the 2006 Youth Hunt and am submitting a second chance letter. Last year was a great experience for both me and my dad. Although I did not get a deer, in the youth hunt nor during the regular hunting season. I would really like an opportunity to have a second chance on this years hunt. I have a little more experience and hopefully buck fever will not take over again. This year with the law change I can take either a buck or a doe not needing a doe tag. I would greatly appreciate it you could consider me for this years hunt.

Sarah

jci63
09-15-2007, 01:02 PM
Once again, Thank You Michigan Gun Owners for your support for this year’s youth hunt. Each Youth Hunter will receive MGO Camo Hat, Cap-Light, MGO Sweatshirt, Buckmasters Knife, Fanny Pack.

It is great to have your help in making this a wonderful success!

Congratulations to Keith & Sarah this years winners!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/jci63/RIM00003.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/jci63/RIM00004.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/jci63/RIM00005.jpg

ratmaster
09-25-2007, 06:17 AM
Well? How did things go? Did Sarah end up with a dear this year? Come on John give us the pics and all the details.

jci63
09-25-2007, 06:50 AM
This years 2007 Youth Hunt was full of action packed, no stop action!

The kids arrived on Friday 9-21-07, prizes were passed out.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/jci63/IMG_6441.jpg

Then after sighting in the kids rifles, off to the river we went for some salmon fishing.

Sarah landing her fish.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/jci63/IMG_6455.jpg

Then it's Keith - FISH-ON
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/jci63/IMG_6447.jpg

Keiths first salmon.................................
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/jci63/IMG_6451.jpg[[/b]

jci63
09-27-2007, 06:55 AM
My youth hunter was Keith and we had a great time fishing and hunting. Keith was lucky enough to harvest a nice 5 point buck.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/jci63/IMG_6467.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/jci63/IMG_6494.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/jci63/IMG_6491.jpg

Ernie took out sarah on her hunt. Sarah was very lucky and harvested a nice 8 point.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/jci63/IMG_6492-1.jpg

jci63
09-27-2007, 07:01 AM
We had a great time with the kids and felt extremely blessed to be apart of something so special.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/jci63/IMG_6504.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/jci63/IMG_6503.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/jci63/IMG_6502.jpg

fbuckner
09-27-2007, 07:23 AM
Congrats to both youth hunters and thank you for doing this service for them. What a great thing to do for the future of hunting in michigan.

ratmaster
09-28-2007, 10:34 AM
Well done again John!...cheers to you and Ernie! Congrats to the kids and welcome to the world of hunting. You are now hooked for life!

jci63
09-29-2007, 09:23 AM
From Sarah's DAD

My daughters first deer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First I want to thank John Ingersoll for putting on the 2nd annual michigan youth hunt.My daughter was picked for a free hunt in Petoskey.This was one of the best times we had .If you know of a youth that would like to hunt and has not gotten a deer plaese check out the other forum Michigan youngsters in the out-of-doors.2nd I would like to thank Ernie Brossau our guide owner of Daylight in the swamp taxidermy (in Petoskey ) who will be mounting my daughters deer head along with other gifts they received from the hunt.I can't say enough good about these people ( friends ) and how they treated my daughter and myself.Sarah my daughter got this 8 point 145lb field dressed buck saturday night.She was sitting on a hay bail looking south at 10 doe for about 1/2 hour and then from the east wood line came a small doe running right at here. It scared her for a minute then four bucks came in behind her 2 spikes 1 four and this 8 point buck.She moved all the way to the left shook for a few minutes ( that felt like hours ) and shot a 100 yards.This is what she found 50 yards away.Thanks again to John and Ernie for helping out the youth hunters.Please check out the other forum for information of the hunt and the gifts that we got plus the free hunt some other lucky youth hunter could win.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/jci63/Copy_of_Copy_of_Youth_hunt_20301.jpg

jci63
09-30-2007, 09:52 AM
Letter from Keith:

First, I would like to say thank you for the opportunity to go hunting. The Youth Hunt was one of the best experiences I've ever had! I didn't have the equipment, know-how, location or the people to hunt with. Therefore, without you I would've never had the chance to experience something so incredible. I learned so much and had so much fun!
When I was sitting in the blind and saw that HUGE 5 point buck come out of the woods, my stomach dropped and I couldn't breathe! I was so excited and John was telling me I only had about ten seconds to take the shot. I didn't have a clear shot because the deer kept moving, and going behind trees. Finally, the deer was in a good position and I had my chance. It was the perfect shot, and with John's coaching, I took it! I hit the deer at about 100 yards and it ran right into the open field and stopped. When we got to the deer it was an enormous 5 point buck! This had to be the most exciting moment ever! After my great experience getting my first deer, we drove over to the fishin' hole in town with the deer tied to the top of our car! I was so proud.
The salmon fishing was a lot of fun! John taught me the art of salmon fishing, and I was getting good by the end of the weekend.
Ernie and John were both very welcoming to my family and I. Ernie was also very nice about letting us look around his taxidermy shop, which was really interesting. He has worked on so many different kinds of animals. That was an experience I would never get at home!
I can never thank both of you enough. I'm not done hunting - this was only the beginning! I will remember the Youth Hunt weekend for the rest of my life! Someday, I hope I can help someone the way you helped me.

Sincerely,
Keith

jci63
11-18-2007, 06:59 PM
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/jci63/MichiganYouthHunt0001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/jci63/MichiganYouthHunt0002.jpg

Tallbear
11-18-2007, 09:35 PM
Here's a link to the magizine. www.hooksandbullets.com

The November issue isn't online yet, but will be available soon.

jci63
12-30-2007, 10:58 AM
The November / December Issue is online now, here are the links.

http://www.hooksandbullets.com/page_16.html

http://www.hooksandbullets.com/page_17.html