PDA

View Full Version : Ringing in the Ears after a little range time

ARegulator
04-06-2012, 10:38 PM
So I searched threads for some reasuring posts and was unable to find any so I am starting this one hoping for some positive news.

I took the Brother-in-Law to Rose Lake today to do some shooting as he bought my 9mm and has never fired a gun before. I wanted to teach him the safety basics and have him get comfortable with that particular pistol. I also took my 14.5" AR with the Spikes comp on it which is not obnoxious, but it is a noticably louder.

Well I tried out the Surefire in-ear plugs today (first time) with the triple baffles and thought they were seated well. Firing was not painful by any means, but seemed a little less "quiet" than cheapy foam plugs. We fired a total of 100 .223s and 40 9mm, so it was by no means a free for all shoot. Now, my right ear has been ringing since we finished at 3 p.m.

I am looking for someone to tell me that this has happened to them and my hearing will be normal when I wake tomorrow or even in time for Easter dinner. I just hope I didn't really mess things up and I am a bit pissed that I didn't take the "extra noise" more serious. I have never had ringing like this before. Regardless, I am ordering some Howard Leights tomorrow.

pgaplayerless
04-06-2012, 10:55 PM
ur ears will be fine, post-shooting ringing due to poor sound suppression is normal.

Made_in_Michigan
04-06-2012, 11:07 PM
ur ears will be fine, post-shooting ringing due to poor sound suppression is normal.

I agree, BUT... long term exposure to this sort of ear damage will definitely cause hearing loss.

1 or 2 rock concerts per year... your fine into your 80s...
1 or 2 a week... you are rolling the dice by the time your 30.

Protecting Yourself From Concert Deafness

When you go to a lot of concerts, you are literally losing your hearing a little bit at a time. While most people who go to concerts rarely put a lot of concern into things which happen in the distant future, the effects can sometimes be observed within only a few months of beginning to go to concerts. The hearing loss that a person experiences when one goes to a concert (especially if you like to be fairly close to the stage) is subtle, and you may not lose very much to begin with. But over time, you can still enjoy your music just as much- and you will also be able to hear it well when you are older, if you guard your hearing today.

Hearing protection can take on a lot of different forms. While you can always buy the types of white noise generators that come right up next to your ear and cancel out a certain type of sound, this is generally overkill. In a lot of cases, you can subsist with nothing more sophisticated than a pair of the simple, rubber coated foam ear inserts that are sold in a little pack for a low price. These can save your hearing, and no one will ever be the wiser that you have taken this small extra step. Of course, you can also use the orange rubber ear plugs to do the same trick, too.

One of the best (and some would argue, the most comfortable) methods of protecting your hearing at a concert are the sound blocking ear muffs that you can easily slip on and off. These have the advantage of not needing to be stuck into your ears- this can be a big deal if they happen to have gotten dirty, which can become a serious irritant with the kinds that go into your ears. With simple steps like these, you might be hearing well into old age.

The damage you are talking about is the same damage one gets from a loud concert...

pgaplayerless
04-06-2012, 11:18 PM
I agree, BUT... long term exposure to this sort of ear damage will definitely cause hearing loss.

The damage you are talking about is the same damage one gets from a loud concert...

oh for sure. I wouldn't expect him to keep using the poor hearing protection

Made_in_Michigan
04-06-2012, 11:37 PM
oh for sure. I wouldn't expect him to keep using the poor hearing protection

Aye.

I use the cheap foam plugs for concerts/welding and things like that, but for shooting I use muffs. (electronic). Foam plugs did not do enough in my opinion.

shurhouse
04-07-2012, 04:45 AM
What? I couldn't hear you.

Michiganbob
04-07-2012, 06:07 AM

Oh sure where were you back in the Late 70's man I'm still hearing that Blue Oyster Cult, Black Sabith, Molly Hatchet concert from the
Aloha Stadium when I was 18.:banana:

ARegulator
04-07-2012, 07:51 AM
Well, I am hearing a bit better today but still have a little ringing and noticable hearing loss which, from reading the posts, should be temporary. I just cannot believe that this could have happened without me really noticing anything was wrong. I have used the foam plugs for years and never had an issue. I will probably use those Surefire plugs for light duty work or plinking cans with the .22 from now on (maybe I just did something wrong, but I will never trust them again for shooting anything more than .22). This is going to be a lesson for me for sure.

I will probably take some plugs with me to my next concert too. Luckily my concerts arn't too loud these days though because they consist of Yo Gabba Gabba, Fresh Beat Band and Seasame Street (I have young kids).

The worst part about this situation is; I was trying to teach the Brother-in-Law proper range etiquette, safety, responsibility, and here I go blowing out my ear drum. :banghead:

dsp
04-07-2012, 05:35 PM
find some good foam disposables. The NRR rating is usually higher than earmuffs. I double up at an indoor range. This does not double the NRR rating though. My glasses with the muffs are not good enough.

Draken
04-08-2012, 01:17 AM
If you can swing it, custom molded are great...but otherwise good foam disposables are great for long gun, and use muffs for handgun (I find they get in the way for long guns)

RSF
04-08-2012, 07:29 AM
did you make sure they were well seated

i have ran entire classes with them and never had an issue and did you have the the little plug sealed?

Quantum007
04-08-2012, 09:58 AM
I agree with getting the custom molded. My ear doc made mine and did an ear exam for about $75. I use those and have No problems.

Cackler
04-08-2012, 02:01 PM

So now you are a medical professional too?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise-induced_hearing_loss

The ringing in my ears absolutely sucks and the more quiet it is around me, the worse it seems.

fender
04-10-2012, 01:12 PM
Hearing loss slowly creeps up on you - the ringing goes away right up until it doesn't. Most of the time I don't notice the constant ringing but at times it drives me crazy. Having to have people repeat things or focusing on their mouth when talking to them so I can "read lips" is also annoying. Wish I had taken to wearing good ear protection more seriously at an earlier age - even just mowing the lawn. You don't know what you've got till it's gone.

MichiganShootist
04-10-2012, 01:17 PM
I bought those Surefire plugs too and found them to be very near worthless.

No plug comes close to ear muffs.

Draken
04-10-2012, 01:27 PM
I bought those Surefire plugs too and found them to be very near worthless.

No plug comes close to ear muffs.

Most good plugs have a higher NRR then any muffs out there.

A bit of good info (http://www.earplugstore.com/gennoisprot1.html)

teecro
04-10-2012, 01:33 PM
Most good plugs have a higher NRR then any muffs out there.

A bit of good info (http://www.earplugstore.com/gennoisprot1.html)

Key word is "when worn properly" many people do not wear their plugs properly and lose a lot of reduction because of this. Muffs are hard to wear improperly even if they provide less reduction than plugs.

I work in the Engine Room on board ships and wear muffs as they are easy on/off but wear plugs when I shoot simply as I don't want muff hair.

Cackler
04-10-2012, 02:31 PM
Hearing loss slowly creeps up on you - the ringing goes away right up until it doesn't. Most of the time I don't notice the constant ringing but at times it drives me crazy. Having to have people repeat things or focusing on their mouth when talking to them so I can "read lips" is also annoying. Wish I had taken to wearing good ear protection more seriously at an earlier age - even just mowing the lawn. You don't know what you've got till it's gone.

I can still hear but...the ringing drowns out alot of tones.

thatguy423
04-10-2012, 02:37 PM
I always double up (foam plugs plus muffs) You have only got 1 set of ears, take care of them!

Cackler
04-10-2012, 04:01 PM
I always double up (foam plugs plus muffs) You have only got 1 set of ears, take care of them!

Great advice.

It really sucks when you don't take care of them.

maustin195
04-10-2012, 06:38 PM
My hearing is trashed from 30+ years of running steam boilers. Constant ringing and difficulty hearing when there is backround noise. Do what you can always to avoid hearing loss if possible it is avoidable in most cases with precautions.

ARegulator
04-10-2012, 07:19 PM
did you make sure they were well seated

i have ran entire classes with them and never had an issue and did you have the the little plug sealed?

That is my problem. I didn't seat them properly, but thought I did (and yes I had the plug sealed too). That is what upsets me so much; I had no idea they were not seated until after it was too late. It felt like they were in and the rubber conical piece fit perfectly in my outer ear, but I obviously did something wrong????

I am still having some minor ringing and when the wind passes my ear it really rings. I was at a conference today and had a hell of a time engaging in any conversations when background conversations were taking place. My hearing is much better than it was last weekend, but this sure is a pain.

I ordered a pair of Howard Leight electronic muffs and plan to double up from now on. My eyes already suck, I would hate to lose my hearing too.

cmike
04-10-2012, 07:55 PM
I use double protectin. I use the foamy ones, an over that I wear the normal ear protection.
So I searched threads for some reasuring posts and was unable to find any so I am starting this one hoping for some positive news.

I took the Brother-in-Law to Rose Lake today to do some shooting as he bought my 9mm and has never fired a gun before. I wanted to teach him the safety basics and have him get comfortable with that particular pistol. I also took my 14.5" AR with the Spikes comp on it which is not obnoxious, but it is a noticably louder.

Well I tried out the Surefire in-ear plugs today (first time) with the triple baffles and thought they were seated well. Firing was not painful by any means, but seemed a little less "quiet" than cheapy foam plugs. We fired a total of 100 .223s and 40 9mm, so it was by no means a free for all shoot. Now, my right ear has been ringing since we finished at 3 p.m.

I am looking for someone to tell me that this has happened to them and my hearing will be normal when I wake tomorrow or even in time for Easter dinner. I just hope I didn't really mess things up and I am a bit pissed that I didn't take the "extra noise" more serious. I have never had ringing like this before. Regardless, I am ordering some Howard Leights tomorrow.

teecro
04-10-2012, 08:21 PM
That is my problem. I didn't seat them properly, but thought I did (and yes I had the plug sealed too). That is what upsets me so much; I had no idea they were not seated until after it was too late. It felt like they were in and the rubber conical piece fit perfectly in my outer ear, but I obviously did something wrong????

When inserting foam plugs you have to roll them into a long thin taper and then using the other hand you pull the back side of your ear away from the head and push the rolled up plug deep into the ear. Then hold your finger on the plug for a few seconds while it starts to expand into the ear. Then when you think that the plug has expanded I like to very lightly rub my fingers together outside the ear to which if you can still hear your fingers rub each other the plug is either not yet sealed or it is not inserted properly.

Sometime it helps to moisten them slightly; yes I said spit on them if needed.

Bobdobalita
04-11-2012, 07:05 AM
but wear plugs when I shoot simply as I don't want muff hair.

I don't like any muff hair either... ;) :hick:

bae125
04-11-2012, 08:43 AM
After years of being around airplanes and flying with deaf guys I'm also very conscious of my ears. As others have said, double up the plugs and muffs when possible, whenever I go to requalify we are required to wear both.

If used properly (see the above post) the foam plugs are great. I'm going to try the surefire plugs out of curiosity, but they don't seem to get a lot of great reviews.

langenc
04-14-2012, 10:25 AM
Get some muffs.

Secondly (but probably firstly) what did you do to protect your eyes..

Didnt have a 'leaker' this time but maybe the next??

Veteran
04-15-2012, 03:31 PM
I too have tinnitus, constant tones and ringing generated by damaged ear receptors. Generate phony noise on their own.
Can hear a pin drop but can't understand conversation at a wedding, party or restaurant.
Have to try to read lips. Carry foam earplugs always to protect what I have left.
When I shoot, I always use earplugs and good earmuffs.
It wasn't possible to protect your hearing in Vietnam, only your life.
Nothing can be done about it, maybe wear hearing aids that put out tones to mask the ones you have. Yes, it sucks.

Meanie
06-01-2012, 08:05 AM
It's June 1st, how is your hearing now?

freakinhugebear
01-05-2013, 08:21 PM

Only time I ever had ringing after shooting was after one of Roy's uspsa "monster matches" at the coon hunters club. I had my regular electronic ears on, but the sheer mass of shooting that went on at close range was a bit much for just them. My wife and I put I think 250+ down range each. That in itself is not a big deal, but multiply that X 12 people in your squad and people shooting in the bays immediately next to you and there was easily over 10k rounds shot by all attendees. That's a whole lot of bang for any ears. I need to add some ear plugs under my headset next time, but my hearing is totally fine now.

Harry25
01-05-2013, 08:43 PM
Went to the pit in Lapeer last summer, and a buddy next to me shot off a couple rounds of 12 gauge next to me when i didnt have my muffs on yet. Ringing hasn't gone away yet. I now double up on ear protection. I'm sure that this was just the last straw. I've been around loud music since elementary school (23 now), so I'd bet that had something to do with it. Doc said that I don't have any hearing loss (by their tests at least), but I feel like I don't hear as well now.

I rarely notice the actual ringing unless I'm in a quiet room. Always have slept with a fan, or tv on, so that helps drown out the ringing at night. Hope your tinnitus went away.

langenc
01-05-2013, 09:26 PM
Throw the plugs away. Get some good muffs-29 dB or better.

I shoot mostly 22 but others on the range bigger stuff, of course. I been using some electronics my son in law bought for me.

Last time to the range I took my big old clunky Ultimates, I believe they are. The guy next to me was shooting 22. I stepped over and asked if that was some of that new quiet ammo. He said NO ans some brand. No big deal.

Soon they left and I noticed my 22 was a lot quieter. I guess the muffs are better that the others.

Get some good protection-in 10 or 20 yrs you will be thankful. Wear em when mowing lawn, chainsawing, snowblower and leaf blower, absolutely for sure.
I neve been to a noisy concert. Did go to the Blue angles couple yrs ago and was sorry I didnt have something for our ears.

Hendo-posted the following just below::

Ditto on double protection. Try a good set of plugs and then even a cheap set of muffs from Harbor freight would help a lot.

Why buy a cheap set? It is your hearing-once gne it will never come back. The difference between 'cheap' ones and gooder is about a 6 pak and will last many years, taken care of. It is your hearing?? or lack thereof.

tote'ngranny
01-06-2013, 10:44 AM
Why I finally caved and $pent for a set of MSA Sordins. I have no regrets! Cheaper than having to use hearing aids later on.

smokinbutts
01-06-2013, 10:51 AM
i was issued the surefire earplugs before, they didn't work very well

cmike
01-06-2013, 10:51 AM
I use double protection.

TangoDown3727
01-06-2013, 11:00 AM
I tend to use both foam plugs and ear cups whenever I shoot indoors. Hard to talk to each other but hey, we're there to shoot, right? We can talk later. :cannon:

hendo
01-06-2013, 12:49 PM
Ditto on double protection. Try a good set of plugs and then even a cheap set of muffs from Harbor freight would help a lot.

StartingLine
01-06-2013, 04:30 PM
I always wear hearing protection now, except for shooting a .22 I was young and dumb before and severely damaged my hearing at concerts and bars. Now i'm almost 40 and have severe tinnitus in both ears and hearing loss in my left ear. If i could roll the clock back 20 years i would've protected my ears at all costs. Now i have to live with it. I can't stress enough at how important good protection is.

Roundballer
01-06-2013, 06:43 PM
Even with a .22 you should be wearing ear-pro, that is if you are not running sub-sonics with a can.

ka64
01-06-2013, 06:50 PM
Plugs n Muffs, can't go wrong.

I use foam with Peltors.

Harry25
01-06-2013, 06:53 PM
I always wear hearing protection now, except for shooting a .22 I was young and dumb before and severely damaged my hearing at concerts and bars. Now i'm almost 40 and have severe tinnitus in both ears and hearing loss in my left ear. If i could roll the clock back 20 years i would've protected my ears at all costs. Now i have to live with it. I can't stress enough at how important good protection is.

Seconded

ohrings
01-28-2013, 07:51 PM
GO OUT and BUY YOURSELF an over the ear earmuffs that have a NR (noise reduction) of at least 22+. The muffs that I own have are nr26. I spent 3 years in the service and didn't/couldn't use protection for my ears because I was worrying about my ass during the year in Vietnam. Since coming back I have a contant 24 hour ringing in my right ear, which equates to hearing loss. Since coming home, I NEVER go shooting (except the one shot to get my deer if I am lucky enough) without my muffs. The only upside is I get a check every month from the VA for this disablility.

THEJUICE9269
02-12-2013, 04:14 AM
I purchased a pair of these for around $55 I think online and they have been a very worth while investment. They are slim, light weight, and work very well at blocking high tones while allowing voices to be heard very well. They are a fraction of the price of some others but work just as well.

RevDerb
02-19-2013, 05:53 AM
Went to the pit in Lapeer last summer, and a buddy next to me shot off a couple rounds of 12 gauge next to me when i didnt have my muffs on yet. Ringing hasn't gone away yet. I now double up on ear protection. I'm sure that this was just the last straw. I've been around loud music since elementary school (23 now), so I'd bet that had something to do with it. Doc said that I don't have any hearing loss (by their tests at least), but I feel like I don't hear as well now.

I rarely notice the actual ringing unless I'm in a quiet room. Always have slept with a fan, or tv on, so that helps drown out the ringing at night. Hope your tinnitus went away.
When I arrive at an outdoor range, I put on hearing protection before I ever get out of the car. I normally also use plugs plus muffs. Unfortunately, it's like closing the barn door after the horses have escaped for me.

BTW: Nice resurrection of a necro thread. :lol:

unclejoe
02-19-2013, 06:38 AM
I haven't tried this product yet but "Quietus" is supposed to help. It is a homeopathic product and if you go to their website www.QuietRelief.com you can get a risk free trial.