PDA

View Full Version : Appleseed is coming to Muskegon! Bring those centerfire rifles!

intheburbs
04-18-2012, 11:18 PM
Our inaugural event at the Muskegon Pistol and Rifle Club is coming up May 5-6. A second event will be held here on August 25-26.

This wonderful facility is giving us full use of their 300-yard range. Our 25-meter shooting line will be set up in this range, but on Sunday afternoon, we'll use the full length to put the shooters' new-found skills to the test.

This facility has pits and pop-up targets - will be much fun.

Dont forget - women shoot free, under 21 shoots free, and active military and law enforcement shoot for free.

Click here for information (http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=28058.0)
Click here to register for May 5-6 (http://www.eventbrite.com/event/3081417603)
Click here to register for August 25-26 (http://www.eventbrite.com/event/3081433651)

Swamp Thing
04-19-2012, 10:14 AM
Most excellent!

C'mon Muskegon. Show us what you got!

Let's make this a great one.

ST

Swamp Thing
04-19-2012, 05:44 PM
Just got back from surveying the range and meeting with club member 1911guy.

This range is fantastic, 1911guy is a cool dude, and we WILL be shooting 300 yards on sunday!

Bring the :cannon:

ST

who dat
04-23-2012, 09:33 AM
While looking for info, I found this:

We do ask a few things up front. Please do not bring side arms (concealed or open) to the Appleseed firing lines.:lipseal:

TomE
04-23-2012, 09:51 AM

We do ask a few things up front. Please do not bring side arms (concealed or open) to the Appleseed firing lines.:lipseal:

Be sure to bring your wallet though.:salute:

tenthumbs
04-23-2012, 01:15 PM

Nothing nefarious. Safety on the line is paramount, in fact it's everything.

You are up and down constantly. Standing to sitting, standing to prone, all the while people are behind you.

I've been to several as both a shooter and IIT/RSO. You will be much more comfortable without your carry gun gouging you in the ribs for two days.

TomE
04-23-2012, 01:19 PM
A lot of the people here say don't shop anywhere that restricts guns, and avoid gunshows that don't allow carry. So just carrying that tradition on.:paw:

tenthumbs
04-23-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote intheburbs Don't forget - women shoot free, under 21 shoots free, and active military and law enforcement shoot for free.

Cost averaging.. :score:

intheburbs
04-24-2012, 04:30 PM

Ok, I'd like to address these.

1) TomE - do you really think we just want your money? If you look at our last 3 Michigan events, 19 out of 59 shooters paid for their tickets. The other 40, or 68%, were free.

Appleseed is not out to make money. We're a 501C3 non-profit. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who thinks $70 + a $5 or $10 range fee is excessive for an entire weekend of instruction. Our financials are public record - feel free to look them up yourself.

2) Yes, our official policy is no handguns carried by students on the firing line. We're not going to frisk people coming up to the line. It is simply a safety issue. We're not just standing and shooting, or shooting from a benchrest or chair. You'll be getting up and down from prone frequently, and you'll be doing timed transitions from standing to both prone and seated. I'm sure everyone can understand the concern for folks' safety on the line. Not all holsters are created equal.

who dat
04-24-2012, 05:46 PM
Ok, I'd like to address these.

1) TomE - do you really think we just want your money? If you look at our last 3 Michigan events, 19 out of 59 shooters paid for their tickets. The other 40, or 68%, were free.

Appleseed is not out to make money. We're a 501C3 non-profit. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who thinks $70 + a $5 or $10 range fee is excessive for an entire weekend of instruction. Our financials are public record - feel free to look them up yourself.

2) Yes, our official policy is no handguns carried by students on the firing line. We're not going to frisk people coming up to the line. It is simply a safety issue. We're not just standing and shooting, or shooting from a benchrest or chair. You'll be getting up and down from prone frequently, and you'll be doing timed transitions from standing to both prone and seated. I'm sure everyone can understand the concern for folks' safety on the line. Not all holsters are created equal.Makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

TomE
04-24-2012, 05:48 PM
nevermind, have a good time, 32% will pay for the other 68% .

Garymac
04-24-2012, 07:12 PM
nevermind, have a good time, 32% will pay for the other 68% .

I paid full boat ($70) when I went to my first Appleseed. I shot rifleman the first time. Oh yeah, I already knew how to shoot pretty well. I had such a good time and it was such good instruction that I paid full boat ($70) again for the second one I went to. It is still the best $140 I ever spent for shooting classes.

tcaf
04-26-2012, 07:48 AM

As the HP director at MPRC, I/we do not allow any pistols on our line during ANY HP matches for SAFETY reasons. All competitors are asked to remove any pistol from their person and store them in their vehicle before they are allowed to compete during the safety brief, and we will do so before the Appleseed event as well. It has nothing to do with being against concealed carry, but everything to do with safety. If I see anyone on my line competiing with a pistol on their person, they will be politely asked to remove said pistol, if they do not/will not comply I will ask them to leave. Our range, our rules. If you have questions about this please feel free to contact me.

I'm really hoping for a good turnout and we welcome Appleseed and all it's attendees. Regards,

Art

TomE
04-26-2012, 07:56 AM
The same reason is given by Chase Bank and Fifth Third. Private Property, your rules. Enjoy.:thup:

who dat
04-26-2012, 08:52 AM
As the HP director at MPRC, I/we do not allow any pistols on our line during ANY HP matches for SAFETY reasons. All competitors are asked to remove any pistol from their person and store them in their vehicle before they are allowed to compete during the safety brief, and we will do so before the Appleseed event as well. It has nothing to do with being against concealed carry, but everything to do with safety. If I see anyone on my line competiing with a pistol on their person, they will be politely asked to remove said pistol, if they do not/will not comply I will ask them to leave. Our range, our rules. If you have questions about this please feel free to contact me.

I'm really hoping for a good turnout and we welcome Appleseed and all it's attendees. Regards,

ArtAsked and answered in post 9, but thanks for your version.

tcaf
04-26-2012, 09:08 AM
Asked and answered in post 9, but thanks for your version.

Sir, I wanted it to be clear that this is not only an Appleseed rule, but an MPRC rule as well. Thank you.

Art

who dat
04-26-2012, 09:32 AM
Sir, I wanted it to be clear that this is not only an Appleseed rule, but an MPRC rule as well. Thank you.

ArtWhat's an HP?

tcaf
04-26-2012, 11:42 AM
What's an HP?

Sir, HP is short for High Power rifle matches.

TomE
04-26-2012, 12:11 PM
I thought it meant Hi Point Carbines :facepalm: