PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone

creitzel
01-25-2007, 03:54 PM
Well, just joined the board today, so I thought I would give you all a quick introduction. My name is Chris, and I live in Livonia. I'm a software engineer and I'm married with 2 children.

Im a relatively new shooter (bought my first gun in March of last year). Only have handguns so far, but I think my next purchase is going to be a shotgun for home defense. One thing I've definitely noticed is that guns are very addicting :-)

I found the board through a reference to it from www.thehighroad.org, which I read pretty much daily.

I usually don't post unless I feel there's something I can contribute to the discussion, but I do read everything :-)

Well, see you all around :-)

My Guns:

Kahr KP4543
Springfield Armory XD45
Smith & Wesson 686+
Ruger Single Six .22 caliber revolver
Ruger Mark II

mkls0
01-25-2007, 04:34 PM
Hi welcome to MGO

You got a good start on the guns ..

Garbo
01-25-2007, 04:41 PM
welcome fellow livonian,, i assume you shoot at the fireing line??? do you get up there often??

fbuckner
01-25-2007, 05:17 PM
Welcome Stop by at our booth at Outdoorama at the Rock Financial Place you will see alot of our ugly mug's

KayL
01-25-2007, 05:55 PM
Hi. Glad you could join us. I like your taste in handguns, too. You've got a nice start on one of everything! The addiction only gets worse.
kay

creitzel
01-25-2007, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone :-)

You got a good start on the guns ..

You've got a nice start on one of everything! The addiction only gets worse.

I think the operative word in both those sentences is start :-) I'm already looking at what I want next. Although, I do love all of the ones I curently have.

I really like my Kahr for carry, excellent weight, and overall size.

I started getting into guns, because I wanted my wife to have some form of self defense option. Since then I've found that I really enjoy shooting. Oh, and my wife's got a Smith & Wesson M&P 9MM and a Smith & Wesson 638 for carry.

welcome fellow livonian,, i assume you shoot at the fireing line??? do you get up there often??

Yes, I'm usually up there about once a week. Usually on Saturdays or Sundays, in the afternoon, as those are my days off. I've also bought a couple of my guns there as well. I am looking into gun clubs or a membership though, as it's starting to get expensive at $14 per hour, and I want to shoot more.

Welcome Stop by at our booth at Outdoorama at the Rock Financial Place you will see alot of our ugly mug's

Definitely will have to stop by. Always good to meet fellow shooters :-)

Chris

mkls0
01-25-2007, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone :-)

I think the operative word in both those sentences is start :-) I'm already looking at what I want next. Although, I do love all of the ones I curently have.

I really like my Kahr for carry, excellent weight, and overall size.

I started getting into guns, because I wanted my wife to have some form of self defense option. Since then I've found that I really enjoy shooting. Oh, and my wife's got a Smith & Wesson M&P 9MM and a Smith & Wesson 638 for carry.

Yes, I'm usually up there about once a week. Usually on Saturdays or Sundays, in the afternoon, as those are my days off. I've also bought a couple of my guns there as well. I am looking into gun clubs or a membership though, as it's starting to get expensive at $14 per hour, and I want to shoot more.

Definitely will have to stop by. Always good to meet fellow shooters :-)

Chris

Time to start looking in to reloading..

creitzel
01-25-2007, 07:07 PM
Time to start looking in to reloading..

Heh, yeah, The .45's are getting pretty expensive to feed. And they always seem to be hungry :-)

I'm in the process of looking into that now as a matter of fact. I've been saving my brass and I purchased a copy of "The ABC's of reloading". Now I just have to find the time to read it, and start getting the equipment.

Chris

Roger Roney
01-25-2007, 07:13 PM
Welcome, Chris!

...Stop by at our booth at Outdoorama at the Rock Financial Place you will see alot of our ugly mug'sHey, Rick, you forgot to throw in a plug that he can pay cash there to join MGO and get more benefits. :lol::lol:

Roger

Maranatha
01-25-2007, 07:22 PM
There are a couple clubs that are affiliated with MGO, They would be a good start to check, Kay and I belong to CCRC, Its about and Hour drive from Livonia, but its a great club.

You and the Wife should come out for IDPA this spring.

KayL
01-25-2007, 07:35 PM
You and the Wife should come out for IDPA this spring.
Oh definitely! It's a great way to keep your defensive shooting skills up. You'll be shooting and practicing under stress more than many people who carry. Plus, we have a ball.

Kimber45
01-26-2007, 08:03 AM
Welcome fellow Livonia guy. I guess I won't see you at the Glock match at the Firing Line tomorrow! ;-)

I have a Ruger Single-Six and Mark II - love em both.

If you're looking into gun clubs stop by the Livingston Gun Club at Outdoorama. I belong to that club. It is primarly a handgun club with 2 USPSA and 1 Steel Challenge shoots every month. We also have 3-gun matches in the summer as well as shotgun only and PCC.

I also belong to Capitol City and shoot their IDPA, PCC and CMP rifle matches. They so a rifle match around July 4th that is a lot of fun and one in December to commerorate the breakout at teh Chosin Resivoir that is gfun and cold.

Both clubs are fun with lots of good people. A plus for Capitol City is you can get a hug from Kay.

KayL
01-26-2007, 08:10 AM
Woohoo!!!!

So Kimber, sounds like you spend all your free time shooting.

I didn't know Dorothy let you out of the house that often.

Kimber45
01-26-2007, 09:02 AM
Woohoo!!!!

So Kimber, sounds like you spend all your free time shooting.

I didn't know Dorothy let you out of the house that often.

Dorothy and I are heading to the Firing Line tonight to practice for the Glock Match tomorrow and we're looking forward to lots of shooting this year.

She lets me out but prefers that Gary and Chris baby sit me.

creitzel
01-26-2007, 09:59 AM
I'll have to check into the clubs you guys mentioned. I haven't really started checking them out yet, just kind of made up my mind that it was time to start looking for a cheaper/longer term option for range time.

Actually, I think CCRC was where my wife and I took our range portion of our CPL class. I met a guy named Robert Reed on the high road forums, and we did our training with him. He was a member of a club somewhere out that way, and that's where we did our range portion of the class.

If it is CCRC, it's a nice club, and it's definitely one of the ones I've been thinking about. I just don't know if, with it being an hour away, I could take as much advantage of it as I'd like.

While we're discussing clubs, I've got a question for you all. How do clubs deal with allowing children to shoot? My son is 11 years old, and all the ranges I've been to want him to be 12, and have a hunters safety cert, before they'll let him shoot, even If I'm there with him. He's dying to go with me, and I'd love to be able to take him.

Thanks,

Chris

Garbo
01-26-2007, 11:38 AM
[QUOTE=creitzel]

just an FYI, you can buy a 6 month unlimited membership for $175 or 1 year there for $300.

in six months if you go one hour a week that cost is about $350 and one year about $700 so you'll save a ton. Plus its nice to walk in and only worry about ammo so you're not dropping $30-$45 every time you step in

the fireing line requires them to be 12 plus have their hunter safety cert or some kind of proof of firearm training. I brought by 12 year old nephew a few weeks back and everything went well. He shot my S&W .45 457 model and my M&P 40. Took him a few shots to get used to the kick but he did well

enfield
01-26-2007, 12:29 PM
Welcome! Are you related to Dave Reitzel, the famous(?) retired architect?

Garbo
01-26-2007, 01:17 PM
i believe at island lake they can be 10 but need the hunter safety cert regardless,,, they can now take that class @ 9 1/2. I dont think you're going to get around that

mkls0
01-26-2007, 01:23 PM
i believe at island lake they can be 10 but need the hunter safety cert regardless,,, they can now take that class @ 9 1/2. I dont think you're going to get around that

NO there is NO age limit on who can take the class!!!!
The age limit is on who can get a hunting Lic.

This is out of the DRN Inst, book..

Age and Certification of Students
All first-time hunting license buyers born since January 1, 1960 are required to complete a course of
instruction approved by the Department. Any person, regardless of age, may enroll in a HunterEducation Course. Instructors should not establish an age for enrollment in their classes. Those
students who are at least 12 years of age or who will be 12 or older, during the upcoming hunting
season should receive priority. Younger students may be accomodated as class size allows.
Students under 11 years of age shall be accompanied by a parent or guardian or other adult,
designated and provided by the parent or guardian, during the course.
Students are certified based on their classroom performance, knowledge, and test scores.
Instructors may remove a student from participation in the course if the student is disruptive, or if
the student’s behavior endangers participants or bystanders. Those students who successfully
complete the course are to be issued a hunter safety certificate. This does not preclude state statute
which prohibits anyone under the age of 12 from purchasing a license to hunt in Michigan.
However, it does allow the parents of youthful hunters who wish to take their children out of state
to hunt, to meet certification requirements.

We had 8 and 9 yr. olds take and pass the tested

If someone tells you your kids has to be 9 1/2 yrs old call the DNR and turn that Inst. in...

Garbo
01-26-2007, 03:55 PM
Thanks for setting the age limit str8, however on the other pointe,, I dont think I've seen any range allow minors on without a hunter safety card or some kind of firearm safety cert. I was assuming 10 at Island Lake since they lowered the small game age to 10 on private land here,,, they have to let them shoot right?? But thats nothing I've seen in writing so that may be worth looking into.

fbuckner
01-26-2007, 05:59 PM
You can shoot here on my farm I only have a few restrictions dont shoot at or near the cattle and pick up the brass. No age restriction if you feel that you can keep it safe you could bring a 5 yr old for all I care. The soon they learn safety the more likely they will carry it on for life. Drop me a PM if you wanna shoot some bowling pins or paper.

creitzel
01-27-2007, 12:36 AM
just an FYI, you can buy a 6 month unlimited membership for $175 or 1 year there for $300.

in six months if you go one hour a week that cost is about $350 and one year about $700 so you'll save a ton.

Yeah, that's one of the memberships I've been considering. Even if I join another club, the firing line is so close, its a natural choice.

Welcome! Are you related to Dave Reitzel, the famous(?) retired architect?

Not that I know of. One thing though, as I was researching my family tree, I found that Reitzel is basically like Smith in germany :-) It's quite a common name for folks of germanic decent.

As for the age thing, the restrictions that you have stated, garbo, are the ones that I have encountered as well. I was wondering if private clubs had different rules. Like if I were to join Capitol City, or another club that has it's own range, what their policy would be in regards to allowing minors to shoot.

You can shoot here on my farm I only have a few restrictions dont shoot at or near the cattle and pick up the brass. No age restriction if you feel that you can keep it safe you could bring a 5 yr old for all I care. The soon they learn safety the more likely they will carry it on for life. Drop me a PM if you wanna shoot some bowling pins or paper.

Thank you, that is a very generous offer. Safety is definitely my top priority, so if we were to take you up on that offer, we would definitely follow any and all restrictions that you have :-) Maybe I'll shoot you a pm, once the weather starts warming up a bit (I do love shooting pins :-) )

Chris

KayL
01-27-2007, 10:27 AM
Email sent, Chris. k