PDA

View Full Version : How long/big of a suppressor would I need for a .45 acp to bring it to 110 decibels?

yocan
04-24-2012, 06:29 PM
Or maybe even 115, just thinking if all I care about is hearing loss, and on a range practicing I'm going to have to wear ears regardless how much smaller of a can could I be looking at if that was my entire goal. I would think it would be a great thing for maneuvering for home defense.

Just a random thought, anyone ever look into this? kinda the same mentality as the surefire micro for 556

rjrivero
04-24-2012, 07:18 PM
Or maybe even 115, just thinking if all I care about is hearing loss, and on a range practicing I'm going to have to wear ears regardless how much smaller of a can could I be looking at if that was my entire goal. I would think it would be a great thing for maneuvering for home defense.

Just a random thought, anyone ever look into this? kinda the same mentality as the surefire micro for 556
The volume would have to be pretty big. 115 dB is a VERY hard goal to attain for a .45 suppressor. Even wet, the Osprey .45 will only get you down to 123dB. It's 1.3"W × 1.75"H x 8.0625"L. To get to below that would be quite a bit longer/larger.

Ear plugs won't get you to 110dB. (A .45 is about 160dB, with 33dB plugs you get to about 127dB). You would have to ear plug plus muffs to get you around 110dB. That's a LOT to ask for in a can with an apeture of .5" or so.

PaulB84
04-25-2012, 07:44 AM
I know videos are terrible vehicles for determining loudness, but here's a wet .45 running very near the 123db rjrivero quoted above. Thats damn quiet. Lose the action noise, and thats almost as quiet as suppressed guns get

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyYnSF0SPQ4

For what you described, I think you're good anywhere below where you start, if that makes sense. The surefire micro IMHO is more of a really really great muzzle break/flash suppressor with a little sound deadening built in. It still requires ear pro for continuous use and aint all that quiet, but masks your muzzle signature nicely and would reduce the concussion factor when fired indoors or with a SBR/AR Pistol. I'd love to have one in place of my KX3.

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html