PDA

View Full Version : Range review - Shooters Range - Grawn, MI

triangletactical
04-24-2012, 11:44 PM
Mods, I hope this is the right place to post this, it is a review, I read the forum description, and I believe it best fits here. Feel free to move it if needed.

I’m on vacation right now in Northern Michigan, and my Dad and I decided to make a trip over to Shooters Range in Grawn. If you are trying to find this place, know that Google navigation will not get you there, however, the map on their website is correct. Once we found the range, I was already impressed with the outside appearance, and size of the building.

Shooters website says they offer both an indoor shooting range, as well as an indoor 3D archery range. I’m not an archer, so you will have to take their word for it. Anyways, we arrived, and were greeted by a friendly gentleman behind the counter, who got us all setup with the paperwork, and whatnot.

The range fees were very reasonable, and comparable to what I’m used to down south. Being that Shooters doesn’t have any competition in northern Michigan, I was happy to see they aren’t gouging people on range time. I also looked over the list of rental firearms, and it ran the entire length of a page of paper, probably having 20-30 different firearms on it.

The two of us ended up sharing a lane, and the gentleman from the counter took us into the range, and gave us a quick demo on the target hangers, and a quick safety brief. I was impressed with the nice computer controlled target hangers as well as the general quality, and good lighting in the range. Nothing seemed to be in bad shape, and they had a nice large area behind the firing line to store gear, and stuff magazines. The sound dampening in the range worked well, as did the ventilation.

We shot for about an hour, then packed up to leave. Upon exiting the range I noticed a sign on the wall that disappointed me a little. It read “NO REMOVAL OF BRASS YOURS OR OURS FROM THE RANGE!!!!” I’m not a reloader, but my brass is mine. Just because it hits the floor does not mean I transfer ownership of my brass to them. From inside the range, I could see a nice Dillon progressive reloading press in their backroom, so I suspect someone is using the once fired brass to reload with.

While leaving, I noticed a S&W Shield in the display case, and asked to see it. The employee knew I was from out of state so I could not purchase it, but happily let me get a feel for it. Had no problem when I asked to dry fire it either. Both employees I spoke with were very muzzle conscious, which is something a lot of gun store employees seem to forget about.

I didn’t look much at the long guns, but did notice a few ARs and an FN FS2000, along with your basic hunting rifles. The pistol cases were stocked with a lot of quality firearms from CZ, Glock, S&W, Ruger, and some others.

All in all my experience at Shooters was great. Friendly, safety oriented staff, nice range, and good selection of firearms. I’ll give them an A-, just for the obnoxious sign in the range about not being able to take your own brass with you.

If you are in the Grand Traverse/Benzie/Wexford county area, and need a place to shoot, I would absolutely recommend Shooters.

dougmod33
04-29-2012, 09:41 PM
I agree great facality and freindly staff.