PDA

View Full Version : Sanford Lake ?

jemcclai
05-09-2012, 10:38 AM
if this is not in the right area I apologize mods..didn't see a fishing thread....

got a question to those who have fished Sanford Lake (Midland)...going there in two weeks fished there last year as well...we did ok a bunch of gills and some perch...want to catch bigger fish this time out if possible....I'm mostly a trout/stream fisherman not a lake fisherman type of guy (I do like the beer drinking part though we got that part down)....any ideas on where others have caught some decent sized fish...and what lures/bait you used?? Thanks
....the boat is docked bout 3/4 of a mile from where 10 crosses over...

MichiganShootist
05-09-2012, 12:40 PM
I live on another lake not far away.

Before spending a lot of time/effort getting ready to fish... contact the DNR and see if there are any pollution bulletins posted about on Sanford at this time.

That is the last in a chain of lakes that has dealt with serious pollution from DOW for decades.

From time to time they have posted the lake telling sportsmen to NOT eat the fish.

We nearly bought a home there years ago but decided with those kind of problems would you want your kids to swim there.... or drink the ground water???

Sorry to be a wet blanket but I wouldn't eat a fish out of that chain of lakes.

WSM300Rich
05-09-2012, 01:44 PM
I live in Midland. The only advisories I have know about for Sanford lake have been sewer/drain field related. It is Upstream from Dow chemical not down stream!

I have heard good reports closer to the north end of the lake for larger fish.
Rich

shurhouse
05-09-2012, 05:18 PM
It's been a few years, but on the river below the dam used to be pretty good.

jemcclai
05-10-2012, 06:44 AM
thanks guys

BoBBerRider2009
05-13-2012, 10:27 AM
wixom lake is were its at mid summer fish the cuts ..use waxes and crawlers...you can limit out out on 8-9" gills and tons of crappy lay on the edege of the weeds in morning around 530 600 ..when steam is rising off the water due to cold air..id recommend trolling with a grub tail small...pink lead head and white skirt.SLOOOWWW.we usually limit out both me and my pa pa in about two hours ...not to mention sanford gets all its fish from wixom ..its only a few more miles diff..wixom is very clean..i wouldent hesitate to eat any fish..sanford lake is more of a dirty fish lake to me some muskeys ..northerns although wixom is better for them aswell..catfish are about the only think i use sanford for ...JUST LOOK AT GOOGLE EARTH FIND CUTS AND GO AND CHECK EM OUT YOU WILL THEN ESTABLISH YOUR FAVORITES!!!!

BoBBerRider2009
05-13-2012, 10:29 AM
It's been a few years, but on the river below the dam used to be pretty good.

its basically the only way to get in to the hydro eleactirc dam its fenced off to prevent intruders such as osamas followers i guess??? there privately owned stuff changes on a reg basis...

jemcclai
05-13-2012, 11:41 PM
wixom lake is were its at mid summer fish the cuts ..use waxes and crawlers...you can limit out out on 8-9" gills and tons of crappy lay on the edege of the weeds in morning around 530 600 ..when steam is rising off the water due to cold air..id recommend trolling with a grub tail small...pink lead head and white skirt.SLOOOWWW.we usually limit out both me and my pa pa in about two hours ...not to mention sanford gets all its fish from wixom ..its only a few more miles diff..wixom is very clean..i wouldent hesitate to eat any fish..sanford lake is more of a dirty fish lake to me some muskeys ..northerns although wixom is better for them aswell..catfish are about the only think i use sanford for ...JUST LOOK AT GOOGLE EARTH FIND CUTS AND GO AND CHECK EM OUT YOU WILL THEN ESTABLISH YOUR FAVORITES!!!!

cool thanks...much appreciated...