PDA

View Full Version : 14.5 pinned barrel options

Remnar
05-09-2012, 12:40 PM
Hello,

I'm looking into putting a 14.5 barrel on my soon to be completed first build. Is it even possible to buy the threaded 14.5 barrel and then take it to a smith to have my comp/suppressor mount permanently attached?

Or do I have to buy one pinned and then have it removed and have mine installed?

Any barrel makers sell a 14.5 with an AAC can mount attached?

Sorry if this has been asked before. I tried search but didn't find what I needed.

Thanks,

Remnar

mini4m3
05-09-2012, 12:46 PM
Can take the virgin 14.5'' barrel with long muzzle device to someone to get pinned.

Edward Pireh
05-10-2012, 12:59 PM
Hello,

I'm looking into putting a 14.5 barrel on my soon to be completed first build. Is it even possible to buy the threaded 14.5 barrel and then take it to a smith to have my comp/suppressor mount permanently attached?

Or do I have to buy one pinned and then have it removed and have mine installed?

Any barrel makers sell a 14.5 with an AAC can mount attached?

Sorry if this has been asked before. I tried search but didn't find what I needed.

Thanks,

Remnar

According to the ATF, being in possession of a short barrel and an AR-15 (even if the short barrel is not installed on the gun) is still unlawful posession of an SBR because you would have all the parts to put an SBR together. To be safe, have the dealer you purchase the suppressor from weld it to a short barrel for you. As long as your barrel is 16" with the suppressor welded in place, you are legal in this state. The typical 5.56 uppressor is 6.5" long, so you can even get a 10.5" barrel and weld the suppressor to it and you will still be at 17" (legal). Of course the suppressor is subject to a $200 transfer tax and all NFA laws. If you like, I can weld a suppressor to a short barrel for you with ease. Let me know what suppressor you like, and I'll order it for you if I dont already have it in stock.

thocomehome
05-10-2012, 01:30 PM
According to the ATF, being in possession of a short barrel and an AR-15 (even if the short barrel is not installed on the gun) is still unlawful posession of an SBR because you would have all the parts to put an SBR together. To be safe, have the dealer you purchase the suppressor from weld it to a short barrel for you. As long as your barrel is 16" with the suppressor welded in place, you are legal in this state. The typical 5.56 uppressor is 6.5" long, so you can even get a 10.5" barrel and weld the suppressor to it and you will still be at 17" (legal). Of course the suppressor is subject to a $200 transfer tax and all NFA laws. If you like, I can weld a suppressor to a short barrel for you with ease. Let me know what suppressor you like, and I'll order it for you if I dont already have it in stock.
I have my ar pistol with 11.5 barrel next to my ar15 all the time

Remnar
05-10-2012, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the replys.

I am actually looking to perma-mount an AAC "Brakeout" suppressor mount on a 14.5 barrel. This mount is 2.375 inches overall and adds 1.75 inches in length. This should get me to the needed 16 inch barrel.

I have an AAC 762-sdn can pending and plan to use it on my AR's as well as my .260 Rem Savage.

So from what I am reading I need to have either the Manfacturer or a class 3 dealer do the pin and weld? I cannot legally purchase the 14.5 and take it to a smith to have the adapter pinned?

Thanks for the help.

Dansjeep2000
05-10-2012, 01:52 PM
I have my ar pistol with 11.5 barrel next to my ar15 all the time
If you have a registered pistol lower the ATF won't mess with you about the means to make an SBR.

Edward Pireh
05-10-2012, 01:54 PM
Correct, because having the parts to make an SBR is considered by the ATF as being in possession of an SBR. Now if you have a complete AR-15 pistol and a complete AR-15 rifle in the same room that is fine. These are just laws that the ATF likes to make to cause discomfort LOL. I'm not making it up either, you can find these laws on the ATF web page. Just have your dealer pin it on for you. I'm not saying that you'll get nailed for having a short barrel, because chances are slim for that to happen. I'm just stating the law as it's written by the ATF. I actually had this conversation with a client earlier this morning about offering for sale short barrel uppers with pinned cans to make them of legal OAL.

Dansjeep2000
05-10-2012, 02:33 PM
Correct, because having the parts to make an SBR is considered by the ATF as being in possession of an SBR. Now if you have a complete AR-15 pistol and a complete AR-15 rifle in the same room that is fine. These are just laws that the ATF likes to make to cause discomfort LOL. I'm not making it up either, you can find these laws on the ATF web page. Just have your dealer pin it on for you. I'm not saying that you'll get nailed for having a short barrel, because chances are slim for that to happen. I'm just stating the law as it's written by the ATF. I actually had this conversation with a client earlier this morning about offering for sale short barrel uppers with pinned cans to make them of legal OAL.
You should look into pinned or welded barrel shrouds, I would love a 11" upper with a permanently attached shroud.

rjrivero
05-10-2012, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the replys.

I am actually looking to perma-mount an AAC "Brakeout" suppressor mount on a 14.5 barrel. This mount is 2.375 inches overall and adds 1.75 inches in length. This should get me to the needed 16 inch barrel.

I have an AAC 762-sdn can pending and plan to use it on my AR's as well as my .260 Rem Savage.

So from what I am reading I need to have either the Manfacturer or a class 3 dealer do the pin and weld? I cannot legally purchase the 14.5 and take it to a smith to have the adapter pinned?

Thanks for the help.
www.adcofirearms.com

Order the barrel, gas block, and barrel nut for whatever handguard you want to run. Then have them pin it and don't worry about any of the potential constructive possession issues.