PDA

View Full Version : Moving Gun Vault into Basement

costanza
05-10-2012, 08:59 AM
Hey Guys!

Finally, My new gun vault(Cannon TS 6040 48 gun) is now sitting in my garage, waiting to be moved into my basement. It is heavy at 600 pounds. I live on a corner lot. My side door offers a straight path down my basement stairs, and the vault fits width-wise by 2 to maybe 3 inches on each side. I have the use of a 1200 pound capacity refrigerator dolly, as well as the use of several strong guys.

Would a wood 'ramp' down the center of the steps be the best way to move this beast down? 'Bumping' the dolly down one step at a time? Renting a 'come-along' and hooking it to my fence or a truck bumper? Also, the stairs 'seem' to be sturdy in the 60 year old, well-built home. As mentioned in other threads, the 600 pound vault resting on a step is the same as 3 of us larger guys standing on a single step. The added impact of 'bumping' the vault down the steps is what worries me. Should the stairs be reinforced from underneath? Could they be reinforced with a 2 by 6 or two, running 'diagonally' under the bottom of the stairs, shored up by several vertical 4 by 4's?

Anyone have any advice on my pending vault move? I do not want this thing crushing any of my buddies! I'd rather not hire a mover to take it downstairs, as I am still poor from my two year stint on unemployment(now thankfully rehired!) and my home break-in losses.
Thanks in Advance!
Costanza

Ricebrnr
05-10-2012, 09:10 AM
well if you have a straight shot.

do the ramp thing.
strap the safe to the dolly.
use a tow rope on the dolly to the truck bumper.

use the truck as the anchor and brake to slowly lower the safe down the ramp.

then the safe's weight will be resting across several steps and not for very long.

I AM NOT AN ENGINEER....

Cackler
05-10-2012, 09:13 AM
Actually, using the box to slide it down after you lay it back is a pretty easy way to go. No bumping involved.

Use a couple of flat jerk straps to hang on to it when carrying or sliding and you have two guys above and two below.

TAC
05-10-2012, 09:27 AM
Brace up the stairs if possible.

HVYMTLMEC
05-10-2012, 09:35 AM
hire someone to do it that does it professionally. Picture broken stairs - broken bones - broken back. :naughty:

zigziggityzoo
05-10-2012, 09:41 AM
Call a professional moving company and tell them what you want done. They'll probably quote you $100 to move it down one flight of stairs. Pay it.

7.62 Nato
05-10-2012, 09:54 AM
If the door has lift off hinges you can cut the weight in half. Even at 600# it's still manageable.

Skidog
05-10-2012, 12:00 PM
If the door has lift off hinges you can cut the weight in half. Even at 600# it's still manageable.
My 36 gun safe weighs 650 lbs and was quite manageable with the door taken off.

A truck to lower it down the stairs is way overkill!!

costanza
05-10-2012, 01:21 PM
My 36 gun safe weighs 650 lbs and was quite manageable with the door taken off.

A truck to lower it down the stairs is way overkill!!
I do not think my door comes off, but I could be wrong. The truck idea was because my buddy has a winch mounted on his truck and said he has lowered several vaults into basements by himself with his winch. Cannot seem to reach him lately though. For my application, the truck merely comes with the winch!

D Hags
05-10-2012, 01:34 PM
Call a moving comapny. About $100. What if something goes wrong doing it yourself or with you friends? Liability insurance? Not worth the greif.

Magnum Man
05-10-2012, 06:38 PM
With the dolly and 3 strong men it should be no problem. Just take your time one step at a time and rest if you have to.

zigziggityzoo
05-10-2012, 06:55 PM
With the dolly and 3 strong men it should be no problem. Just take your time one step at a time and rest if you have to.

My dad did this, and put a hole in his drywall.

Nicon_77
05-10-2012, 09:34 PM
I do this for a living. We use special equipment. There are always dangers. Cheating and all these things are great. But what happens when a buddy gets hurt. If you want real call . Advice is free.broken bones are not. Dry wall isn't. You damaging the safe and it isn't either. . 7346244830 Sean. Doing this since 96.

costanza
06-08-2012, 07:55 PM
I do this for a living. We use special equipment. There are always dangers. Cheating and all these things are great. But what happens when a buddy gets hurt. If you want real call . Advice is free.broken bones are not. Dry wall isn't. You damaging the safe and it isn't either. . 7346244830 Sean. Doing this since 96.
Well, Sean (Nicon_77) moved my gun vault into my basement today, and did a great job. I am so glad I didn't attempt to do it myself! I am too much of a girlie man to do things like that now! Sean and his partner have the experience to get done right without any damage at all, except to my ego! And all for a good price too! I do not remember how to leave feedback for something like this, So I put it here. if you need a vault moved, call Sean. His number is listed above.
Regards,
Costanza

evilcoon
07-09-2012, 07:25 PM
This is how you do it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO6FJQoi0H8

ductileiron98
07-09-2012, 07:47 PM
I moved my 532lb safe from the store (trailer) to my basement by myself. used a piece of cardboard and slid mine on its back down my stairs. No bracing of stairs. Heck I weigh 280lbs . and that is 280lbs on a step. The safe covered around 4 steps so 532 lbs wasn't on one step. The safe weight was distributed. When I got it to the last step I pushed it upright, used wooden dowls to roll it against the wall. Getting it out of the basement is a whole different animal..

partdeux
07-09-2012, 07:50 PM
somebody gets hurt, you and your insurance company will have wished you had paid the $$.

costanza
07-10-2012, 11:48 AM
somebody gets hurt, you and your insurance company will have wished you had paid the $$.
I paid the $ to have it moved. Even with a climbing dolly, it was work! Not much room for more that two guys on the bottom end. If one of those guys goes down with an injury, it's all up to one guy. 600 pounds and an injured guy in the way. Not a good scenario. Worth every cent to have it moved. Do not know it he was insured or not, so the possibility of a lawsuit was still there...Post copied from last month below...

Well, Sean (Nicon_77) moved my gun vault into my basement today, and did a great job. I am so glad I didn't attempt to do it myself! I am too much of a girlie man to do things like that now! Sean and his partner have the experience to get done right without any damage at all, except to my ego! And all for a good price too! I do not remember how to leave feedback for something like this, So I put it here. if you need a vault moved, call Sean. His number is listed above.
Regards,
Costanza