PDA

View Full Version : Silencer Regulations

zerotomugen
05-15-2012, 08:47 PM
Was just curious about silencers, and have seen some articles and threads about it to basically know very little about the law in regards to these things. Can somebody that is very familiar with the law give me a crash course in the laws pretaining to silencers and supressors here in Michigan? Just want to get a general idea of the law before considering a purchase and how much of a hassle it is to obtain one. Also I hear numerous people talk about how quiet they get or how they just supress the flash and bang to myths that you won't hear it in the next room of your house... If there is someone that has experience with one can you share your first hand experience with such a device? Thanks in advance!:salute:

Shyster
05-15-2012, 09:06 PM
As of September 2011 Michigan residents are allowed to own suppressors as long as they comply with BATFE guidelines. You can own the devices as an individual, through a corporation, or through a Trust, which provides many benefits over individual ownership.

At present Michigan law does not allow the use of suppressors for hunting.

Revdrshad
05-16-2012, 03:52 AM
Having used different types in the military, I can tell you some are still loud, some are incredibly quiet, and most aren't worth the money. But, They're incredibly COOL.

If I had to sum up an average "Sound" it would be: The noise that your particular gun makes while you chamber a round + a Hand clap, toilet seat falling, loud cough, or a car door closing. All depends on the caliber and type of silencer. Some you'll still need earplugs with.
It's not the Hollywood "Pfft" noise that you see in the movies. But a lot of times they will take the sharp pitched painful edge away.

Also Read some of "Shyster's" other postings. If you choose to go the Trust route, Get a hold of him. You won't be disappointed!

zerotomugen
05-16-2012, 04:19 PM
Thank you for the prompt replies. Am I correct in assuming that it takes about 6 months for the whole process to obtain one?

Dansjeep2000
05-16-2012, 04:22 PM
Thank you for the prompt replies. Am I correct in assuming that it takes about 6 months for the whole process to obtain one?
Yes, it took 5 1/2 months for mine.

zerotomugen
05-16-2012, 04:27 PM
Sorry for my ignorance, but is it a permit or license?

Dansjeep2000
05-16-2012, 04:28 PM
Sorry for my ignorance, but is it a permit or license?
Neither, it is a BATFE form you fill out and then when approved there is a tax stamp attached to the form. Its all about the "Stamp"

dekulaw
05-16-2012, 04:58 PM
It is about the stamp but the ATF Form 4 is also a registration document which should be kept with you when in possession of the silencer in the event of contact with law enforcement.

http://dekulaw.com/nfa-firearms-trusts---michigan.html

Yooper55
05-17-2012, 08:59 AM
Oh the wait really sucks!

Dansjeep2000
05-17-2012, 09:05 AM
Oh the wait really sucks!
Yup it does, but its worth it once it's done. Take this time to start getting barrels threaded, adapters, new guns with threaded barrels, ect...I have way more into that than the cost of the suppressor.