PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for ammo storage

ak47
05-16-2012, 02:12 PM
Well, over the years I've accumulated a few thousands rounds of various calibers (I know, pretty wimpy for this forum) and they are all in dry boxes or ammo cans in my basement.

I was thinking, in case of a fire - there is no way the fire department will do anything but cordon off the house (my basement is surrounded with foundation, so my neighbors are safe).

Can anyone give me any suggestions for better ammo storage? I can't afford a dedicated fireproof safe just for the ammo, but I am willing to bury the majority of it If no better suggestions come along :) I would appreciate any ideas and advice for burying ammo without ruining it, too.

donald150
05-16-2012, 03:18 PM
I witnessed a fire in Iraq in one of our command centers, there were rifles and ammo stored in there loose and in magazines. We could hear small pops now and then but no rounds zipping by or explosions. From what I have heard, the rounds need to be in a chamber to cause damage but i don't know. I have seen crispy ammo cans that survived a fire just fine also.

That being said, I store mine in ammo cans (metal ones).

ka64
05-16-2012, 03:22 PM
I witnessed a fire in Iraq in one of our command centers, there were rifles and ammo stored in there loose and in magazines. We could hear small pops now and then but no rounds zipping by or explosions. From what I have heard, the rounds need to be in a chamber to cause damage but i don't know. I have seen crispy ammo cans that survived a fire just fine also.

YEP............

ak47
05-16-2012, 03:32 PM
I don't know, I have a butt load of 12g ammo and an ammo can of those would be like a makeshift bomb - a bunch of explosive powder and all those pellets...

donald150
05-16-2012, 03:36 PM
I don't know, I have a butt load of 12g ammo and an ammo can of those would be like a makeshift bomb - a bunch of explosive powder and all those pellets...
The powder is separated by the hulls. A shotgun shell is no different in a fire or fired out of a barrel, the pellets won't go anywhere.

Dansjeep2000
05-16-2012, 03:43 PM
In the basement in ammo cans is fine trust me I know. In 2009 my house burned (total loss) with over 10k rounds of ammo in it. TONS off small pops but all ammo I had on the lower levels of the house and in ammo cans survived. big thing to be cautious of is bulk gun powder and black powder. I had a 1# can of black powder (muzzle loader) and when that blew it took all the windows out and moved the roof. Scary as hell.

Roundballer
05-16-2012, 03:43 PM
I also had similar concerns as the OP, not because of the bulk of ammo, it was a bulk of "explosive" BP. I when to my local Fire department and talked to the Chief.

I explained what I had, and how I stored it. I keep my powder in the original containers and store the containers in an "explosion proof" magazine. This magazine is a locking metal box that WILL NOT contain the fire if there is an ignition of some kind.

The Chief was not concerned AT ALL. He explained that there is more danger from the propane tank attached to the BBQ and the half full cans of lawn mower gas (and other flammable solvents) than there was from what I had.

The Chief said that I was doing everything properly, and he thanked me for stopping in.

By the way, U.S. surplus ammo cans are "explosion proof", they were designed for the storage of ammo and that is a good use for them.

ak47
05-16-2012, 03:50 PM
Well, I know I feel better now :) Thanks guys

Luckily I only have 2 boxes of Pyrodex pellets, somehow I grew out of my muzzle loader quite quickly, lol

Revdrshad
05-20-2012, 11:21 PM
Everyone I've ever talked to about this has the same thoughts... No big deal at all. Ammo needs a chamber to do enough damage to penetrate Firefighter type clothing.
Plus ammo cans in a basement are fairly safe...

If you are really concerned though, go to Home Depot, get s sheet or two of "Fire resistant" drywall (About $8 a sheet) and cut and stack it to make your own "Fire resistant" Box.
It's a hour long project, and less than $20.
Just make sure to use as many layers as possible. Maybe 3 or 4 layers. Staggered. :cheers:

fasteddie
05-26-2012, 09:19 PM
I Have fought many fires with ammo in them. Everyone is correct about it not being a big deal .

hiphi
05-28-2012, 11:41 AM
I assume that metal cans are preferable to plastic cans in the event of a fire?

leavitron
05-30-2012, 11:16 AM
Glad to find this thread. I currently have all my ammo in a plastic dry box in the basement. Was planning on switching to metal box(es) at some point. Probably when I buy a good fire safe will use the current cabinet for ammo.

trappert83
06-14-2012, 03:34 AM
I store all my reserve ammo in 50cal ammo cans. Each can has 1 desacant can in them. Every month or two I take them out and cook them in the oven. They absorb moisture and are color changing to show when they need to be cooked. I too keep my ammo in the basement. I even thought about putting my ammo in seal a meal bags, vacume bags. Good luck

tenaciousj
06-14-2012, 06:59 AM
I have a friend that threw a 7.62x39 and .223 in the fire at separate times and all the 762 did was pop the primer and the .223 case did jump out of the fire about 2ft. and blow out the side but heard nothing of the projectile.

DTrain
06-14-2012, 02:28 PM
I had a 1# can of black powder (muzzle loader) and when that blew it took all the windows out and moved the roof. Scary as hell.

OMG! :shock:

ratsass67
06-16-2012, 05:54 AM
mythbusters did a special on this at one time,built a fire then dumped ammo on it remotely and the ammo just kinda "went off" but never went anywhere,the brass seemed to jump around when it went off more than anything.here's their findings:

Bullets thrown into an open fire can explode with lethal force:

Busted!

The MythBusters dropped a box of bullets with varying calibers directly into an open fire. While many of the bullets immediately discharged, it appeared that none of the bullets could be lethal. Like the oven test, most of the damage was being dealt by the cartridge casings, which could not travel fast enough to be lethal. However, they determined that the bullets could cause many non-lethal injuries straight from wikpedia,episode 85,here's the link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBusters_(season_5)#Hot_Bullets

i remember that episode,was pretty cool.

oldskoolford427
06-16-2012, 07:00 AM

+1 For metal ammo cans they contain the live rounds just fine in a fire, they kind of look like a jiffy pop, pop corn maker after a fire!!! If they are not stored in a good container the brass does become a projectile when it goes off in a fire!

10x25mm
06-16-2012, 12:31 PM
The National Fire Protection Association has a standard for the safe storage of firearms ammunition, primers, and gunpowder. NFPA 495 is incorporated in most county, city, and township fire codes. If you fail to adhere to this code, you can be liable for any injuries to your neighbors or firefighters which occur during a fire. The current edition is dated 2010 and costs $ 43.00.

NFPA is mostly concerned with the storage of gunpowder and primers, but there are a few references to ammunition as well. SAAMI (Sporting Arms and Ammunition Institute) also has several good documents (200, 201, 202, 212, 250, 252) on the safe storage of ammunition and components. Some are free, others cost a bit.

www.NFPA.org

www.SAAMI.org