PDA

View Full Version : Shore Fishing Kalamazoo Area

andywmu
05-28-2012, 08:20 PM
Looking to get back into fishing, haven't fished since I was really young. Need some ideas and pointers for fishing this area of the state.
I grew up fishing gravel pits/cuts in the thumb, and sebawing area.

As dumb as it may sound I'm just nervous to get back into it not knowing what to do.

billofrights1776
05-30-2012, 02:19 AM
I do not know a lot about that area but the best i can recommend is find a dam and fish below it. Don't be afraid to go to a bait shop in the area you would like to fish and ask what the fish are biting on and how to use that particular bait.
The best advice i can give is to do a lot of research on a particular species you would like to target.
Learn the habitat for that species and how it coincides with the time of the year. because all species of fish change there habitat according to the season. I would say that we are in the early summer patterns.
Research research research is the key. Also research different techniques for how to catch the target species
Watch you tube videos.

Or you can just throw a worm and hope sometimes you can catch them that way sometimes.
Days like today was are not good fishing days. the first day after a cold front moves in are tough days catch rates are down a lot because the fish do not feed due to the fact of the drastic change in weather.
I dont know how gung ho you are but if you plan on sticking with it and learning how to fish , do not buy cheap rods and reals. Im not sayn go buy top of the line stuff but a 50$ rod and a 40$ is good

I have alot of knowledge about fishing and I would be more than happy to share it with you.

Let me know what species you would like to target and the type of body of water you plan on fishing and we can go from there

andywmu
05-30-2012, 12:32 PM
I do not know a lot about that area but the best i can recommend is find a dam and fish below it. Don't be afraid to go to a bait shop in the area you would like to fish and ask what the fish are biting on and how to use that particular bait.
The best advice i can give is to do a lot of research on a particular species you would like to target.
Learn the habitat for that species and how it coincides with the time of the year. because all species of fish change there habitat according to the season. I would say that we are in the early summer patterns.
Research research research is the key. Also research different techniques for how to catch the target species
Watch you tube videos.

Or you can just throw a worm and hope sometimes you can catch them that way sometimes.
Days like today was are not good fishing days. the first day after a cold front moves in are tough days catch rates are down a lot because the fish do not feed due to the fact of the drastic change in weather.
I dont know how gung ho you are but if you plan on sticking with it and learning how to fish , do not buy cheap rods and reals. Im not sayn go buy top of the line stuff but a 50$ rod and a 40$ is good

I have alot of knowledge about fishing and I would be more than happy to share it with you.

Let me know what species you would like to target and the type of body of water you plan on fishing and we can go from there

I always grew up fishing gravel pits and small inland lakes. So generally rock bass, perch, and bluegill/sunfish. Anything for fun catch and release to begin would be great.
Wouldn't mind finding a good perch fishing area around here to fry up.
Just need some insight as I only fished when i was really young.

MSGT
06-04-2012, 02:25 PM
Andy, check out Ft. Custer Recreation area. There are 3 lakes there with bank fishing.