PDA

View Full Version : SWR Spectre II permanently attached to a PS90 ?'s

Cocowheats
06-01-2012, 10:53 PM
Id love to have my FNH PS90 16.5" barrel cut and threaded so I can permanently attach a SWR Spectre II to it to make it 16.5" total. In lame man's terms, I want the barrel and suppressor to equal at least 16.5" opposed to adding a suppressor to the already 16.5" barrel.

It can be done, I know this...I shouldn't do it myself, I know this.

What I don't know is about cleaning the suppressor. The SWR baffles slide out the back(if I am correct?) so it would have to be removable BUT the mounting lug would be permanently attached...so for cleaning, the barrel would drop past 16.5" which I thought is a major no no...

Can the baffles be taken out the front of the spectre II??? That would allow the rear to be soldered together and I would only have to account for the front cap length in barrel length(as in I may have to a half inch extra equated in barrel length so that it is 16.5" with the front cap removed for cleaning).

Have a better solution for a ps90???? I thought somebody was testing a "slip on" suppressor for the ps90 for us non sbr states a couple years back. Can't find anything on it.

rjrivero
06-01-2012, 11:56 PM
Id love to have my FNH PS90 16.5" barrel cut and threaded so I can permanently attach a SWR Spectre II to it to make it 16.5" total. In lame man's terms, I want the barrel and suppressor to equal at least 16.5" opposed to adding a suppressor to the already 16.5" barrel.

It can be done, I know this...I shouldn't do it myself, I know this.

What I don't know is about cleaning the suppressor. The SWR baffles slide out the back(if I am correct?) so it would have to be removable BUT the mounting lug would be permanently attached...so for cleaning, the barrel would drop past 16.5" which I thought is a major no no...

Can the baffles be taken out the front of the spectre II??? That would allow the rear to be soldered together and I would only have to account for the front cap length in barrel length(as in I may have to a half inch extra equated in barrel length so that it is 16.5" with the front cap removed for cleaning).

Have a better solution for a ps90???? I thought somebody was testing a "slip on" suppressor for the ps90 for us non sbr states a couple years back. Can't find anything on it.
Your best bet is to have the barrel cut down, and perm attach a muzzle device to bring the length to over 16" to meet fed requirements. Make sure the muzzle device diameter is big enough for the suppressor to fit under.

This is the "prototype" Adco made me for a 9mm AR.

http://www.revolverforums.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=46&pictureid=284

Here it is mated to it's lower after blind pinning the muzzle device and KG coating.
http://www.revolverforums.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=46&pictureid=286

Here are the parts. The barrel with the adapter, and the tube. You can see how the threading extends past the adapter, so the suppressor can be screwed down to the barrel.

http://www.revolverforums.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=46&pictureid=285

It took a little work, but it was worth it in the end. It's light, and handles very well.

The problem you may run into is finding a smith who will work with that left hand threaded barrel/muzzle device. Adco doesn't do left handed threads.

Cocowheats
06-02-2012, 12:12 AM
Your best bet is to have the barrel cut down, and perm attach a muzzle device to bring the length to over 16" to meet fed requirements. Make sure the muzzle device diameter is big enough for the suppressor to fit under.

That is EXACTLY what im trying to avoid...that would make my barrel length 16.5" + suppressor length.

What I need is something like what you had made or a suppressor I can dissassemble from the front.

I like what you had made! But I'd think my route would be cheaper...

rjrivero
06-02-2012, 12:27 AM
That is EXACTLY what im trying to avoid...that would make my barrel length 16.5" + suppressor length.

What I need is something like what you had made or a suppressor I can dissassemble from the front.

I like what you had made! But I'd think my route would be cheaper...
I think we mis-understand each other. The "muzzle device" I'm talking about is the aluminum tube assembly that the suppressor fits "under." That sentence kind of describes the entire project. (5320.8 from the ATF describes barrel length as the distance from the face of the closed bolt to the end of the barrel muzzle or permanently attached muzzle device.)

Having a suppressor you can dis-assemble from the front may or may not be a good idea. If you want to take it apart to clean or what not, you need to be able to get the baffles out. That means being able to push it out from the back.

Getting them to fall out the front of the suppressor won't really be a reliable method of dis-assembly and cleaning, I would think.

You might want to check with TROS USA (http://www.trosusa.com/) to see if they have anything to offer you.

Show them this barrel from Tactical Solutions. (http://www.tacticalsol.com/tshome/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/sbx1.jpg) It's a .22LR upper for an AR that has a perm attached "muzzle device" that a .22 LR suppressor can fit under and poke out a little ways so you can thread it on and off.

Tell them you want to make one for your PS90 and see what they say!

Let us know what you come up with!

Cocowheats
06-02-2012, 01:37 AM
So you are suggesting merely a suppressor shroud where the barrel is recessed and the suppressor can be threaded on and off. The shroud would cover the 16.5" barrel limit by being attached the the barrel itself.

Correct? If not, what I just described would probably work also...

I think your pictures confused me. Because as what you have laid out in pic 3 would be illegal. It must be permanently assembled or you have the means for an sbr without the that tube attached to the barrel.

I'm not saying you did something illegal, but having that as pic 3 is in MI would be and that confused me at first. It made me think the barrel was 16". I got what you mean now I think.

More or less a faux suppressor that the real deal can fit within.

rjrivero
06-02-2012, 05:42 AM
So you are suggesting merely a suppressor shroud where the barrel is recessed and the suppressor can be threaded on and off. The shroud would cover the 16.5" barrel limit by being attached the the barrel itself.

Correct? If not, what I just described would probably work also...

I think your pictures confused me. Because as what you have laid out in pic 3 would be illegal. It must be permanently assembled or you have the means for an sbr without the that tube attached to the barrel.

I'm not saying you did something illegal, but having that as pic 3 is in MI would be and that confused me at first. It made me think the barrel was 16". I got what you mean now I think.

More or less a faux suppressor that the real deal can fit within.
That is exactly correct. As long as the "shoroud" or muzzle device is permanently attached by a method described in ATF publication 5320.8, it is counted toward the overall length of the barrel.

I apologize for the confusion. Pic 3 shows all the parts and how the threading protrudes past the adaptor so you can get the suppressor on and off. For the record, I have a couple SBR's here in my posession and in my shooting rotation. (I live in Ohio.) So no worries about constructive posession or making anything illegal for me ;).

This is my "Michigan Pseudo SBR" and I do bring this one to mi3gun and have a riot running it.

Cocowheats
06-02-2012, 04:13 PM
Ahhh, now it all makes sense:p.

Thanks for the input, that deff. seems to be the way to go for myself as then the supressor can be used on multiple hosts!!! I now know how to replace that faux supressor on my hk mp5 .22lr(the walther/umarex one) with the real deal without making it look retarded!

TROS would deff. be the guys to do it as they've been part of ps90 barrel cutting/threading for quite awhile....if they aren't to busy that is.

Thanks a million, your idea beat mine to a bloody pulp! I'll be looking into doing this to the ps90 and hk mp5 .22lr as they both can share the same supressor then!!!

rjrivero
06-02-2012, 06:46 PM
Ahhh, now it all makes sense:p.

Thanks for the input, that deff. seems to be the way to go for myself as then the supressor can be used on multiple hosts!!! I now know how to replace that faux supressor on my hk mp5 .22lr(the walther/umarex one) with the real deal without making it look retarded!

TROS would deff. be the guys to do it as they've been part of ps90 barrel cutting/threading for quite awhile....if they aren't to busy that is.

Thanks a million, your idea beat mine to a bloody pulp! I'll be looking into doing this to the ps90 and hk mp5 .22lr as they both can share the same supressor then!!!
Happy to help. PM me if TROS has any problems with this plan of attack. With a little tweak to the adapter that they ALREADY make, this would be an easy build!
Regards.

RJ

Cocowheats
06-02-2012, 07:41 PM
Will do! I plan on calling them sometime this week to get the ball rolling on this...will post back their response.

jmacken37
06-04-2012, 01:15 PM
If you're wanting a can that can be used in the above setup, consider the SWR Octane-9. It has the same click together stack and can be used on a huge variety of hosts.

Jake

rjrivero
06-04-2012, 02:29 PM
If you're wanting a can that can be used in the above setup, consider the SWR Octane-9. It has the same click together stack and can be used on a huge variety of hosts.

Jake
Kind of overkill, for 5.7 and .22LR don't you think? No doubt it would work, but it would be "odd" looking on the end of a 5.7 or .22LR.

GarretJ has some pictures of his monster can on his Beretta 21.

Cocowheats
06-04-2012, 03:39 PM
I want a SWR Spectre 2 because it will primarily sit on .22lr's and id like them to be "movie silent"...so a dedicated .22lr silencer is the way to go for me...it will sit on an hk mp5 clone(the official hk one made by walther), a ruger 22/45 threaded, and for popps and giggles, my ps90.

Spectre 2, I believe is a perfect choice for the above.

jmacken37
06-04-2012, 05:10 PM
If you are only using the can for .22, then the Spectre is a great choice. If you are using it for 9mm, too (as in the pictures above), I'd go with the Octane-9.

Jake

Cocowheats
06-04-2012, 05:23 PM
If you are only using the can for .22, then the Spectre is a great choice. If you are using it for 9mm, too (as in the pictures above), I'd go with the Octane-9.

Jake

The above photos are not mine...I never suggested this was a 9mm build...they were posted by somebody else as an example of a muzzle device that would suffice for what I created this thread for(first post)...not trying to be rude.

The only other caliber that it will be used with is my 5.7x28 FNH PS90.

I'll be buying a .40sw supressor next; that will cover 9mm, obviously...but that's off topic too.

I'm calling TROS tomorrow!

rjrivero
06-04-2012, 05:41 PM

Jake
Oh, I see where you're coming from. Yes. The Octane would be a great choice for that kind of build. The only reason I included it was the perm attach muzzle device idea, not because of caliber choice. (As Cocowheats said above.)

Sorry about my confusion!

This one was built for the SWR Trident-9 which is now discontinued in favor for the Octane-9.

rjrivero
06-04-2012, 05:42 PM
The above photos are not mine...I never suggested this was a 9mm build...they were posted by somebody else as an example of a muzzle device that would suffice for what I created this thread for(first post)...not trying to be rude.

The only other caliber that it will be used with is my 5.7x28 FNH PS90.

I'll be buying a .40sw supressor next; that will cover 9mm, obviously...but that's off topic too.

I'm calling TROS tomorrow!
Consider getting a .45 ACP instead. It'll handle all your .45/.40/9mm needs and wants.

Cocowheats
06-04-2012, 06:06 PM
Don't own a single .45acp...and with .45 ammo prices, I don't plan on owning one. Besides, I'll take that extra 2-3db reduction when using a .40sw with the .40sw can.

Already thought about it extensively...no .45's in my near or foreseen future...deff. more .40's and probably a 9mm or two(one being a rifle) since I can get federal champion 9mm $20/100rnds.

When I feel the need for something bigger than my .40's, I grab a 12ga!(I know, no real comparison...)

Thanks.

Cocowheats
06-07-2012, 02:26 PM
I ended up emailing TROS and am just awaiting a response...

Cocowheats
06-07-2012, 10:08 PM
Tros sent me a kind, one lined, no...

"Thanks for the note.* For a wide variety of reasons that's not a* job I would want to take on."

Suggestions on other gunsmiths? I was thing TacSol....

ZYA_LTR
06-11-2012, 12:18 PM

"Thanks for the note.* For a wide variety of reasons that's not a* job I would want to take on."

ADCO like the above poster used for his.

rjrivero
06-11-2012, 12:21 PM
ADCO like the above poster used for his.
Adco won't work for this. They don't throw left handed threads.

What you need is TROS to do the barrel and one of their 1/2 x 28 adapters with a thread length of 1.25" or so, and Adco can make the adapter, and shroud and perm attach the whole thing to your barrel.

But they won't do the PS90's because of the left hand thread issue.

rjrivero
06-12-2012, 05:43 PM

I just got off the phone with the owner of High Country Gunsmiths. He's fully aware of what you want to do, and confident he can build it for you.

LINK HERE (http://hcgrifles.com/Home_Page.php).

Cocowheats
06-14-2012, 09:07 PM
Sorry I haven't checked back in the past few days...

Ya, I figured TROS would have to handle the cut and threading mainly because of the type of barrel...

I don't need lefty FN threads, I just need the 1/2x28 righty threads that fit the spectre 2...that will minimize the adapters I need for the supressor.

If TROS or anybody cuts it for me, they will have to mail it to the next guy to finish up the job. I will not legally be able to posses that cut down barrel....so I need to find somebody to make the adapter and muzzle device before anybody can chop the barrel...

rjrivero
06-14-2012, 09:49 PM
Sorry I haven't checked back in the past few days...

Ya, I figured TROS would have to handle the cut and threading mainly because of the type of barrel...

I don't need lefty FN threads, I just need the 1/2x28 righty threads that fit the spectre 2...that will minimize the adapters I need for the supressor.

If TROS or anybody cuts it for me, they will have to mail it to the next guy to finish up the job. I will not legally be able to posses that cut down barrel....so I need to find somebody to make the adapter and muzzle device before anybody can chop the barrel...
Right now there are two options.
1. Get Tros to do the barrel chop down, and the adaptor. Then ship it out to Adco and we will finish the muzzle device, perm attach it, and gunkote it. You would have to remove the barrel yourself, and send only the barrel to Tros so they wouldn't be making an SBR.)

2. Give a call to High Country. They seem willing to do the project.

I'm working with Adco to get something set up for PS90's but I'm not sure there is a big market for custom work.

spartywrx
06-18-2012, 08:23 PM

This is the "prototype" Adco made me for a 9mm AR.

http://www.revolverforums.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=46&pictureid=284

Here it is mated to it's lower after blind pinning the muzzle device and KG coating.
http://www.revolverforums.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=46&pictureid=286

Here are the parts. The barrel with the adapter, and the tube. You can see how the threading extends past the adapter, so the suppressor can be screwed down to the barrel.

http://www.revolverforums.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=46&pictureid=285

It took a little work, but it was worth it in the end. It's light, and handles very well.

The problem you may run into is finding a smith who will work with that left hand threaded barrel/muzzle device. Adco doesn't do left handed threads.

What did that run you? I have the exact same problem and idea but with a 3 lug instead of threads for the suppressor.

rjrivero
06-18-2012, 09:40 PM
What did that run you? I have the exact same problem and idea but with a 3 lug instead of threads for the suppressor.
Drop an email to steve@adcofirearms.com for pricing. I am just the Director of Product Development. I have no idea what these builds cost. It's truly a prototype. They're fun to build and design! :thumbup: