PDA

View Full Version : Vortex Viper PST

EricF517
06-07-2012, 03:54 PM
Well I said I will be getting a few of these out in the next few days, so here is the newest one.

I bought the Vortex PST 6-24x50 mil/mil ahead of plans to take an actual long range class this year. Not to mention I realized that having a lifetime warranty isn't bad either.

Well when I got the box the optic was packaged very nicely and securely. I opened it and found the directions on operation, zeroing, milling, and any other issues that may arise, very thorough. The glass was nice and clear and it being the first time I have ever looked through a FFP optic, I was surprised and pleased.

After I got it mounted and leveled on the top of my FCP I went out and zeroed it in. I removed the scope caps and set the, sort of zero stop shims, and reset the optic. So the first time I shot it I set out to see if it tracked and returned to zero. I was pleasantly surprised that it tracked perfect and returned to zero without issue. The tracking was perfect throughout the shooting last weekend with all the knob turning. I did have to adjust my zero a little while at the class since I changed my load just a little.

All in all I think the glass is as good as a Leupy MK4, or extremely close. The FFP feature is fantastic when you are ranging and calling shots for the wind while spotting. It was definitely worth the $900 spent on the optic. It has performed perfectly for me.

To get the wife's rifle out to past 675 I will need to get her a 20moa base on her Mini SASS.

Ol` Joe
06-07-2012, 05:12 PM
Eric, I agree.
I`ve a Vortex Viper 6.5x20 -44PA on my Varmint. I am amazed at the quality of the glass, and as you stated the tracking is dead on. They offer a whole lot of scope for the money IMO

EricF517
06-07-2012, 05:45 PM
I am very happy with the quality of the glass for the price range. Even happier with the tracking of it. The wife and I looked through the Razor HD when we stopped at Jays in Clare. We compared it to the NF, S&B, and the Premier as well. I would have to say it had better glass, and it is FFP.

So maybe next year we will pick one up for each of our rifles.

Batman
06-11-2012, 09:32 PM
I am very happy with the quality of the glass for the price range. Even happier with the tracking of it. The wife and I looked through the Razor HD when we stopped at Jays in Clare. We compared it to the NF, S&B, and the Premier as well. I would have to say it had better glass, and it is FFP.

So maybe next year we will pick one up for each of our rifles.Where did you purchase your Vortex from? I too liked your setup but I'm thinking zero stops are a nice addition.

EricF517
06-11-2012, 10:36 PM
Where did you purchase your Vortex from? I too liked your setup but I'm thinking zero stops are a nice addition.

Camera Land NY was the only ones that had the PST in stock the way I wanted it set up. When we were at Jays they did have a 4-16 in but I don't think it was the FFP model. There are a few popping up in stores but I have yet to see a 6-24 FFP out there. I know Firing Line said they were going to start carrying them, just don't know if they decided to get any. You can always call Jay's and see if they have any in stock.

People have talked highly of SWFA, Liberty, and Camera Land shipped mine to me in 2 days.

If you ever want to get behind the one I have on either one of our rifles let me know, you are more than welcome to play with them.

As far as the zero stops go, they are not true zero stops. You actually shim the turrets. You will go past zero a little but then you can come right back to zero. Besides it is much cheaper than a NF or comparable optic with zero stops.

Batman
06-12-2012, 11:24 AM
Camera Land NY was the only ones that had the PST in stock the way I wanted it set up. When we were at Jays they did have a 4-16 in but I don't think it was the FFP model. There are a few popping up in stores but I have yet to see a 6-24 FFP out there. I know Firing Line said they were going to start carrying them, just don't know if they decided to get any. You can always call Jay's and see if they have any in stock.

People have talked highly of SWFA, Liberty, and Camera Land shipped mine to me in 2 days.

If you ever want to get behind the one I have on either one of our rifles let me know, you are more than welcome to play with them.

As far as the zero stops go, they are not true zero stops. You actually shim the turrets. You will go past zero a little but then you can come right back to zero. Besides it is much cheaper than a NF or comparable optic with zero stops. The Night Force scopes are very nice, but at twice the price? IDK, that's an awfull lot of overtime I'm going to have to work to get one. Thanks for the offer, perhaps at he next long range prone match I'll take you up on your offer.

EricF517
06-12-2012, 05:11 PM
Batman, once you get into a NF, Razor, USO, S&B, or Premier it becomes a clarity issue. While the PST I have is pretty darn good and equal to a Leopold clarity wise (at least to me), it is not near as clear as the above mentioned. When I looked through Brian's NF at Grayling there was definitely a difference in clarity.

Let me know when you are going to the matches and if I am not working we will meet you there.

punisher911
09-26-2012, 01:00 PM
I myself have Vortex PST 2-10s on two different rifles. I'm quite pleased with them. Very happy for the price.

Limige
10-09-2012, 10:38 PM
Ive been thinking about a PST for my creedmoor found a real good price online. But due to my budget I think ill be buying an old vari x III 6.5-20 from ebay. I just sent a 30 yr old Luepold in and they replaced the objective checked travel and cleaned up up a d returned it no charge.

Where will vortex be in 30-50 years?

EricF517
10-10-2012, 11:51 AM
I would say still making optics. They PST is as good if not better glass than the Leupy Mark 4. Their Razor line of optics are absolutely AMAZING. Their $1600 Razor 20-60 spotter is as good as a Swarovski running around $3k.

I wonder how many asked 30-50 years ago where Leupy's would be.

EricF517
01-17-2013, 12:12 AM
Well just for an update. After a year of moderate use the optic is still tracking perfectly. The only issue I had is when I let the rifle fall at the range and the scope hit the concrete corner HARD. .2 MIL up and .2 MIL over and it was back to zero. Still functions perfectly and tracks perfectly.