PDA

View Full Version : wicked ridge crossbow?

suesealu
06-13-2012, 01:48 AM
I'm considering buying a crossbow this weekend. I'm looking at a wicked ridge. Does anyone have experience with them? I'm on a pretty strict budget and they seem to fit it pretty well. I don't anticipate getting out much this year during firearm season due to my son that will be less than a year old during the season and my work schedule. Figure if I can lengthen the seasons I can hunt I will be able to find more time to get out. Also, what kind of broad heads do you guys run on crossbows, 2 or 3 blade, fixed/mechanical?

Edward
06-14-2012, 05:25 PM
I have heard nothing but good things about the wicked ridge model.I own a barnett jackal and LOVE it!!!!!The jackal is a little cheaper( price wise)than the wicked ridge and imo you get get as good of a bow.As far as broadheads,I like a fixed blade as I feel they are stronger and not as likely to have "problems".Whatever you shoot,your going to want a high FOC (foward of center)weight on your arrows to get the best performance.A few ways to adjust/change foc (buy arrows made to add weights to)or go to a heavier head like I did.I shoot a broadhead made by a company called SLICK TRICK and shoot their x-bow trick which weighs 175gr.If you go with a fixed blade,I HIGHLY recomend the slick trick broadhead.

mlodell07
06-14-2012, 09:36 PM
wicked ridge can't be too bad since they're by tenpoint i wouldn't imagine. but for the money you might be better off with a barnett with more fps. you might end up with something a little wider and heavier though too. u probly can't go wrong either way it just depends what you're looking for based on where you're hunting i guess. this was my first year with a crossbow but i used the Rage expandable broadheads and i have no complaints. deer didn't run far and was a nice quick kill.

sparkman10mm
06-15-2012, 06:32 AM
Wicked Ridge (manufactured by Tenpoint) will be gtg.
Their CS is top notch, Quality crossbow for the $.

I have been shooting Tenpoints for about 15 years, extremely
happy with them.
As fsr as broadheads, the Rage 3 blade works very well.

Check out Wyverns Creations....best pricing/service.

Lostantlers
06-27-2012, 07:09 PM
Wicked ridge,Barnett and parker are all nice for the money. Iv'e owned 4 crossbows in the last 10 years and one of the most important things is Weight and feel of crossbow.Try to stay under 8.5 ilbs if you can.

As far as broadheads,use mechanicals/expandables.They shoot much flatter and true then fixed because they don't plane, at the faster speeds of crossbows.Buy good bolts and you should never have to worry about moving foc...
I shoot a Barnett Ghost 400 w/rage crossbow 100 broadheads.
Goodluck :flag:

mlodell07
06-30-2012, 12:06 AM
And also invest in the lumenocks (spelling?) They are worth it.

GregK
07-04-2012, 12:55 PM
I know I'm late here, but I shoot a Ten Point Titan HLX, Easton Full Metal Jacket bolts, & Grim Reaper X-bow 125 grain mechanical heads. Huge holes & pass throughs.

Single Malt
07-17-2012, 09:25 AM
I've been watching this thread. I sold my bow two seasons ago, and now want to get back into bow hunting. I'm thinking crossbow...man, if you're not careful, you can spend some serious coin. Wow. As with anything I guess.

Huntime
07-18-2012, 08:10 PM
Wicked Ridge are very nice crossbows and as several have said they are the lower price point models for Ten Point. Also check out Excaliber and Horton crossbows. Nice thing with excaliber is very easy to change strings.

willforu1
12-01-2012, 08:41 PM
Seusealu - which brand did you go with?

was just up at Jays and I shot an Excaliber Equinox and Exocet200 models. I also shot a Tenpoint Turbo XLT II. Last week I was at Gander Mountain and I shot Carbon Express CX-1 and the Covert CS-1. I am trying to figure out which make and model to go with. The salesmen at Jays called Barnett junk and he said they do not sel them anymore because they are so unreliable. He said that the Excalibers never come back and the Tenpoints are also of high quality. He also told me to stear away from the Carbon Express.

Tenpoint TurboXLT 345 fps 999$. Acudraw 13.5" width with Acudraw.
I liked the fact that the safety engauged automatically and the narrow width. Also there is an anti-dryfire mechansim. The safety was super loud to click off.

Excaliber equinox 898$ 350 fps
Excalbier Exocet 200 769$ 330 fps
Excalibers are recurves. They are the least complicated and the most reliable. You can change drawstrings yourself. You can also uncock them. They are light and wide as hell. They are supposed to be comeing out with a new model that is more narrow. You have to remember to engague the safety but it is super silent to let off.

Crabon Express CS-1 $599 355 fps
Carbon Express CX-1 $499
Manufactured in China. Very heavy. Supposed to be the least reliable

For now I am going to wait until the new Excalibers come out.

Xcessive Carts
12-02-2012, 06:54 AM
My wife bought me Wicked Ridge Invader for my birthday this year. Great unit, finish is superb, great shooting. Scope is ok, but of course a $200 scope would be better. And, the built in Retractable Cocking System is great.
Check out this forum, a rep from Ten Point is on there and is quick to reply to questions.

http://www.crossbownation.com/forum/forum/7-ten-point-crossbows/

mikeb32
12-02-2012, 07:04 AM
I would give David a call at Wyvern Creations. He is a great guy to work with and he carries many different XBows as well he is an Authorized TenPoint distributor.
I have talked to him many times and he will address all your questions and concerns about each XBow you may be interested in.

Wicked Ridge, as was stated earlier is the Economy line of TenPoints Line.
I have shot numerous Tenpoint Bows, but never a Wicked Ridge, I have only heard good things about them. Coming from a Scorpyd owner that would be a good thing, lol

jimmin
12-02-2012, 07:28 AM
Darton made in michigan

willforu1
12-02-2012, 02:22 PM
I would give David a call at Wyvern Creations. He is a great guy to work with and he carries many different XBows as well he is an Authorized TenPoint distributor.
I have talked to him many times and he will address all your questions and concerns about each XBow you may be interested in.

Wicked Ridge, as was stated earlier is the Economy line of TenPoints Line.
I have shot numerous Tenpoint Bows, but never a Wicked Ridge, I have only heard good things about them. Coming from a Scorpyd owner that would be a good thing, lol

I am going to call them. I was on their web site and their prices were outstanding.

Johnny Reb
12-02-2012, 05:55 PM
I bought a Horton Vision reverse limb. Love it. Narrow, fast, accurate and super quiet. Like a dumb dumb, accidently dry fired it, cracked the limbs. They replaced it for me no charge. CS is incredible, and I will always buy and recommend a Horton from here on.

willforu1
12-02-2012, 08:20 PM
I just sent an e-mail to Wyvern Creations. Their prices are very good.
http://www.wyverncreations.com/
I wil let you know what Dave says.

willforu1
12-12-2012, 11:27 PM
I spoke with Dave at Wyvern Creations. He was very helpfull. He tried to help me decide which CB is best for me. I decided against the recurve just due to the size. It would make hunting from a ground blind difficult.

Dave also told me that the compund bows shoot faster than the recurves. He said that the manufactureres are not honest with their specifications for speed for the recurves. He said to read the fine print. The recurve manufactureres will use a lighter arrow and they also will use a non-stock bow string when they are reporting speed. Dave convinced me that being able to decock a CB is not that big of a deal. He also said that while the Excaliber is the most reliable and the easiest to maintain, it is simple to a fault. He does not like the fact that the Excaliber recurve does not automatically engage the safety when cocked. He said the Tenpoint makes a good CB.

He also said that the incremental differences in speed that I have mentioned in my earlier posts were only really important when setting up the drop compensator lines of the scope.

I went back to Jay's and I fired a Wicked Ridge Warrier ($450)and a Ten Point Xtreme with Acudraw. I cocked the Xtreme with and without the Acudraw. The Acudraw makes the CB more expensive and makes the process time consuming and adds weight to the CB. I do not want to pay for this option.

I shot two arrows with the Xtreme at 15 or 20 yards and they were touching. The Warrier was a little lighter had a cheaper scope but it vibrated noticeably when I fired it. It was deadly accurate too. I liked the frame of the Xtreme and the scope so I ordered one without Accudraw for 599$. It should be in soon.

mikeb32
12-13-2012, 01:33 AM
You won't be sorry! Plus with Dave's excellent Customer Service you can't go wrong!