PDA

View Full Version : Kramer Leather Review

BigIrish
06-18-2012, 11:41 AM
I recently bought a horsehide paddle holster (with the FBI forward tilt) from Kramer Leather for an Ed Brown Kobra Carry 1911.

The good:

This is the fourth Kramer Holster I've purchased and its quality is top notch. The horsehide is virtually indestructible, and is bark tanned, not chrome tanned, which means that it won't corrode your gun metal. I can leave a pistol in a Kramer holster for weeks on end in a night stand and I've never had even a spot of rust on a pistol.

Additionally, your holster is molded to your specific gun model, which guarantees a very snug fit and minimizes holster wear on the pistol. Often times, the greatest amount of wear on your pistol comes from the pistol jiggling around all day in a loose holster, not the act of putting it in and taking it out at the end of the day.

The holsters don't come cheap, but you get what you pay for and I believe their quality is top notch.

The bad:

The recession hasn't affected Kramer's business one bit, if you judge from the wait times. They advertise a 6-8 week wait. My order took exactly 15 weeks to the day to receive it, and their customer service is HORRIBLE. The guy who claims to be the office manager never once apologized for the delay, and would often go off on rants (via email) about how they're short on workers, etc. I inquired about the status of my order at 10 weeks, 12 weeks, and then 15 weeks. They never contacted me about my order with an update, and seemed incredibly annoyed that I was contacting them to ask about it. At the 15 week inquiry, I asked for a discount or free product or something to compensate me for such a long wait, and they seemed almost indignant at the suggestion.

In the end, the office manager wound up mailing me a 15% off coupon for a future order, but the wait and the horrible customer service has me questioning whether or not I'll ever buy from them again.

I'd post a transcript of the email exchange and let you judge for yourselves, but I'm not sure that's kosher to do on the boards.

GarrettJ
06-18-2012, 10:36 PM
The holsters don't come cheap, but you get what you pay for and I believe their quality is top notch.
Yeah. I'm sitting here wearing one right now. I don't recall how long it took for them to ship it... because it was almost 20 years ago.

It's still stiff and tight. A little scuffed, but that's it.

EcksFactor
06-18-2012, 11:55 PM
I have one that i bought about 10 years ago. While the leather itself is top notch, I don't really like the loops that attach it to your belt. they stick out too far and bulge under my shirt. I never have carried often, so it wasn't a big deal until recently when I got more into CC. Might try a different holster that doesn't let the grip ride so high either. That's a problem that's due to my small frame, though.

BigIrish
06-19-2012, 08:00 AM
I have one that i bought about 10 years ago. While the leather itself is top notch, I don't really like the loops that attach it to your belt. they stick out too far and bulge under my shirt. I never have carried often, so it wasn't a big deal until recently when I got more into CC. Might try a different holster that doesn't let the grip ride so high either. That's a problem that's due to my small frame, though.

interesting. I'm not sure which style you bought, but I've always thought the paddle holster was a pretty snug fit for concealment. it does rise pretty high above the belt, though. Even though it holds it pretty tight to the body, I could see that being an issue for some body types.

JDG
06-19-2012, 05:47 PM
Had a Kramer IWB for a Sig 239 once, sold it for a pretty good price, so they hold their value. For the money they cost however, I'd rather have a Milt Sparks Horsehide Watch Six IWB. Good leather, horsehide, does cost...And Kramer is among the best.

brylow
06-23-2012, 08:31 PM
I have several of their holsters. My pocket holster is about fifteen plus years and still is great. Also a belt scabbard that I've abused and still going strong.

EcksFactor
06-23-2012, 09:43 PM
interesting. I'm not sure which style you bought, but I've always thought the paddle holster was a pretty snug fit for concealment. it does rise pretty high above the belt, though. Even though it holds it pretty tight to the body, I could see that being an issue for some body types.

I have this one (http://www.kramerleather.com/productDetail.cfm?productID=7&categoryID=23). It does hold the gun pretty snug, but those darn loops stick out too much. maybe i need a thicker belt?

BigIrish
06-25-2012, 10:38 AM
A thicker belt may be worth exploring. Generally speaking, regardless of the quality of the holster, the belt you use can make or break both comfort and concealment.

langenc
06-25-2012, 02:30 PM
I have this one (http://www.kramerleather.com/productDetail.cfm?productID=7&categoryID=23). It does hold the gun pretty snug, but those darn loops stick out too much. maybe i need a thicker belt?

Check their site or ask if they have some other attaching system.

brylow
09-05-2015, 09:59 AM
I own three Kramer holsters. After ten plus year they still are tight, maintain their shape and conceal well. Kramer is always on my short list when looking for quality holster.

gunstar
12-03-2015, 01:46 AM
My father has Kramer holster. I can say that even after 12 years it is a very good condition.