PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy a safe, need input.

Chris M
06-20-2012, 08:52 PM
I need some suggestions on a safe. I'm looking for something with a decent fire rating, combination lock, and room to grow. I've been looking around and I'd like dimensions of 60" tall, 30 or 36" wide, and 25" deep. There are so many manufacturers that I don't know where to start. I have a Stack on locker, but would really like something to protect guns and valuables in case of fire.
I'm on a budget and I know what I'm asking for is a stretch. Just looking for some ideas to help narrow down the field.

enfield
06-21-2012, 08:29 AM
I have a Liberty Franklin 50 - big, roomy, nothing fancy. 1200 lbs empty.

http://www.libertysafe.com/images/products/safe-franklin-50-textured-black-gray-fabric-img-s6_g35_gp72_ch1_ce11_ci2.jpg

jimmyz
06-21-2012, 05:53 PM
I have a Liberty Fatboy Jr. It has a 45 minute fire rating and rated for 48 long guns. Its a little wider than you are looking for, but a great value.

RifleGuy
06-21-2012, 06:55 PM
Chris, I'm currently converting a Coke machine into a safe. With the addition of 1/2" drywall, plywood, etc., for the interior, it should be reasonably fire/heat resistant, and a high-end cylinder lock is still pretty decent security.

Once bolted to the floor with 1/2" lags, I don't think it's going anywhere without a lot of struggle.

Mine is going to be a bit 'tricked out' to make it a conversation piece in the man cave, but I am anticipating a total investment of $600, including purchasing the machine for $80.

1/2" drywall, sheets of fire resistant material, etc., really are inexpensive, and the pop machines are readily available.

Just a possibility for you to consider.

Fast Glass
06-21-2012, 07:01 PM
I've got a Bighorn 6039EL. Bought it through Costco and was delivered right to my door. Very nice safe, good fire rating and can get it with either the electronic lock or tumbler.

http://www.rhinosafe.com/bighorngunsafes.html

shurhouse
06-21-2012, 08:09 PM
One piece of advice, whatever size safe your planning on buying, get a bigger one.

RifleGuy
06-21-2012, 08:31 PM
One piece of advice, whatever size safe your planning on buying, get a bigger one.
Yes. ;)

Chris M
06-21-2012, 09:13 PM

Very true. I had actually figured that in. I could get a way with the 30" wide, but prefer the 36" wide to accomodate any future purchases.

Chris M
06-21-2012, 09:17 PM
I've got a Bighorn 6039EL. Bought it through Costco and was delivered right to my door. Very nice safe, good fire rating and can get it with either the electronic lock or tumbler.

http://www.rhinosafe.com/bighorngunsafes.html

Rhino is one of the manufacturers in consideration. I've been looking at the Costco website at this. I'm also looking at the Liberty Fatboy Jr.

Chris M
06-21-2012, 09:18 PM
Chris, I'm currently converting a Coke machine into a safe. With the addition of 1/2" drywall, plywood, etc., for the interior, it should be reasonably fire/heat resistant, and a high-end cylinder lock is still pretty decent security.

Once bolted to the floor with 1/2" lags, I don't think it's going anywhere without a lot of struggle.

Mine is going to be a bit 'tricked out' to make it a conversation piece in the man cave, but I am anticipating a total investment of $600, including purchasing the machine for $80.

1/2" drywall, sheets of fire resistant material, etc., really are inexpensive, and the pop machines are readily available.

Just a possibility for you to consider.

This is a very cool idea. Please post or send me pics when complete. I'd like to take a look at this.

juicemon
06-21-2012, 09:27 PM
I have an American Security safe, one of the best firearm related purchases I ever made. The door is removable, which makes it a lot easier to move down a flight of stairs. it also has a dial lock, which I find to be less prone to failure than a digital.

If I were to do it again, I'd make the following improvements BEFORE I installed the safe: I'd paint the interior flat white or egg shell blue, install lights and a golden rod and put the safe on 1" risers. JMHO.

BMBPRS
06-22-2012, 12:29 PM
I recently ordered a Bighorn Classic 36 ECB from Costco. I ordered it sight unseen, which always makes me a little nervous. It delivered last week and I am very happy with it. I did some research and based on fire rating and size it appears to be a very good deal. The interior is nice, and the 72" height alloys you to put long guns on both sides without giving up shelf space for documents, valuables, handguns, etc. Exterior finish is nice, door swings easily, and it is HEAVY. The electronic lock is pretty chinsy, but it works.

My buddy bought a high end safe last year ($2500). It is nicer than my Bighorn - interior lights, better apholstery, etc. My opinion is that it is not 2.5 times nicer . . .

Costco Description:
$999.99 after $400 OFF
BIGHORN
Classic 36ECB Safe

Good luck!

costanza
06-24-2012, 07:36 AM
Hey Chris:
There is a lot of good advice here. I recently had the same issue. I was out of work for almost two years, but had just gotten my old job back. Last July, my house was robbed. The theives took several guns that I didn't lock up in my lightweight vault, as well as thousands of dollars of other belongings. They never tried to get into my vault, but they knew it was there and could have come back for it. this did not sit well with me.

I bought a Cannon TS 4060 from Tractor Supply. They, as well as Costco, have occasional sales. The Cannon is a 600 pounder and has many fratures that I like, like a pass thru USB port to put a computer hard drive inside, and pass thru electric outlets for lights and de-humidifiers. The Bighorn Classic sound like a great vault at a great price. I like the 72 inch height, but don't think it would have been able to fit in with my low basement ceiling. Moving a vault into a basement is easier for the pros to do. I am so glad I contacted nikon_77 here on MGO to move it. He did it for a good price. Look elsewhere in this section for my post about vault moving for his contact info.

As mentioned here by mant, consider a bigger vault than what you now think you need. Important paperwork, jewelry, laptops, blank checks, spare car keys, etc., can all be locked up for peace of mind. I wish I had done this!
Regards!
Costanza

Wild-Child-_-
06-27-2012, 07:50 AM
http://bullockssafes.com/

Ghost11503
06-29-2012, 09:04 PM
Just a little tip from the guy that has to come drill your safe when there is a problem:

Go with a traditional combo dial lock, rarely does anything ever go wrong with those. Electronic Lagard and S&G locks have solenoids that can go bad, people make a mistake changing the master code, etc...

diesel3500
07-05-2012, 09:03 AM

Best advice you can get. I just purchaed a liberty franklin 50. I love this safe but the only reason I bought it is because my other liberty safe is full. It holds 25 guns and I thought that would be plenty. Well I thought wrong. So get the biggest you can afford.

ductileiron98
07-05-2012, 11:24 AM
Yep. Or you will be purchasing two of them like building a pole barn. It fills up fast !

kgvall
07-06-2012, 08:47 PM
I did buy 3, in fact 7. I ade a deal with a chain store and bought ALL their damaged ones. Cannon and Liberty both have me referenced as a repair facility and they ship me parts. They are both good to work with. I like the idea of separate safes the same size to split up the weight on the floor AND I store different stuff in each.
As for the safe crackin drill guy,,, I need your # I have an internal lock that was shorted when built and has NEVER been open. I have Manufacturers drill instructions but I'm chicken! Thanks, Kevin 810 287-1133

Rich1028
09-19-2012, 07:14 PM
delated post!