PDA

View Full Version : coon hunters out there

psi2941
06-24-2012, 03:30 AM
So something wired happened today. Anyways I came home from work, and i saw a coon near my chickens. I know those coons kill/eat chickens so i started to scream to scare it off, instead it ran up the tree. so i ran to my house and the fastest thing i could grab was an AR-15. so i ran out there and shot it. I only shot one round and i thought i missed because i didn't see any blood splatter. however after waiting a few minutes, the coon seemed to get dizzy and just fell from the tree. At that point i thought it was dead, but it was still moving (moving as in head moving, not walking around or anything). at that point i didn't want to shoot another AR around because its freaking loud and didn't want my neighbors freaking out, so i just pinned it down with my shovel waiting for it to die, however it didn't die so i had to whack it with the shovel.

If i missed the AR why did the raccoon fall from the tree? does loud sounds like a gunfire make them dizzy?

jacuzzibusguy
06-24-2012, 06:54 AM
I coon hunted for years with my father. Here are a couple of theories:

The coon was out in the daylight indicating that it was sick with rabies or some other disease. Coon are nocturnal. the sickness caused it to fall.

Or option 2: you actually shot it with your ar and it took a long time for anything to happen because raccoon are tough and a .22 cal hole isn't very big. A few times when a head shot was not possible I've seen a coon shot multiple times with .22 lr before falling out of a tree then fight off a couple of dogs and still get away.

Raccoon are tough animals.

TomE
06-24-2012, 07:16 AM
I coon hunted for years with my father. Here are a couple of theories:

The coon was out in the daylight indicating that it was sick with rabies or some other disease. Coon are nocturnal. the sickness caused it to fall.

Or option 2: you actually shot it with your ar and it took a long time for anything to happen because raccoon are tough and a .22 cal hole isn't very big. A few times when a head shot was not possible I've seen a coon shot multiple times with .22 lr before falling out of a tree then fight off a couple of dogs and still get away.

Raccoon are tough animals.

Everything you said,I emptied a A-Bolt 22 mag into a big one a few years back one September day, before she stopped moving.

Warhorse
06-24-2012, 09:29 AM
I had an either sick, or injured coon by my house a few years ago that needed to be put down. So as not to alarm my neighbors, I used my trusty old Remington bolt .22 rifle with some .22CB rounds. At a distance of ten feet I plugged him once in the body, nothing happened, so I then shot him again where upon he limped over onto my garage concrete apron and commenced to bleed all over it. At this point my wife happened to look out the window at it, and hollered for me to "quit playing around with it"!

I for the first time, put the little rifle to my shoulder, looked through the scope and placed the crosshair between his eyes and shot. He immediately jumped about three feet into the air, landed with a loud thump flat on his back, dead right there.

Apparently, head shots are necessary on these little creatures.

Ruger
06-24-2012, 10:10 AM
If i missed the AR why did the raccoon fall from the tree? does loud sounds like a gunfire make them dizzy?

Gravity!

hopeitsfast
06-24-2012, 11:18 AM
Man I hope someday I'll have enough property to be able to fire a rifle round up into the air and not have to worry about where it ends up. :lol:

If you missed, I dont know why it would fall unless like the other poster said it was sick.

langenc
06-25-2012, 02:35 PM
No big deal--skin it and count the two holes-or just one??

psi2941
06-26-2012, 04:46 AM
No big deal--skin it and count the two holes-or just one??
l burned it with my propane blow torch because i was afraid of diseases. Then I left it and came back the next day and it was gone. Now its the case of the missing dead/burnt raccoon. Which animal in their right mind would eat a solid black/burnt raccoon.

On the second thought could it be those chicken? :crazy:

TomE
06-26-2012, 07:28 AM
Hey it was cooked for them, that's a rarity in the wild.

Cackler
06-28-2012, 11:31 AM
l burned it with my propane blow torch because i was afraid of diseases. Then I left it and came back the next day and it was gone. Now its the case of the missing dead/burnt raccoon.

Probably it was taken by the same animal rights activist that took video of the entire torture and burning sequence and it will be used as evidence at your trial.

If you don't know what you are doing with wild animals, it is really best to leave well enough alone unless you have no choice in the matter.

TomE
06-28-2012, 12:53 PM
Go Away :poke:

Threerackeddrew
06-28-2012, 02:46 PM
For the OP, Are you married to your sister by any chance?

psi2941
06-28-2012, 03:28 PM
For the OP, Are you married to your sister by any chance?
what is that suppose to mean? so what if i married my sister, she's hot!

on the serious note did that satisfy your stereotyping of Michigan gun owners? derp.

I'm asian, have a degree in mathematics and single derp.

Cackler
06-28-2012, 03:48 PM

One is the loneliest number but, something still doesn't add up here. Are you trying to say that Asians don't know anything about coons?

Also, what is a derp?

Threerackeddrew
06-28-2012, 05:19 PM
what is that suppose to mean? so what if i married my sister, she's hot!

on the serious note did that satisfy your stereotyping of Michigan gun owners? derp.

So in other words, you thought it was a cat and you were thinkin', "hmmm dinner".

hopeitsfast
06-28-2012, 07:09 PM
So in other words, you thought it was a cat and you were thinkin', "hmmm dinner".
:tsk: :slap:

Cackler
06-28-2012, 07:29 PM
:tsk: :slap:

Oh...now I get it.

I was thinking that because he was single, he was looking for some hot action.:winker:

I mean really, who takes a propane torch to anything that they are gonna eat?

evilcoon
06-29-2012, 10:17 PM
I drop coons using a pellet gun and shot placement.

These are tough critters and body shots will do nothing but make the animal suffer in pain and probably attack. The torch was not neccissary.

Kimberguy1371
07-07-2012, 01:26 AM
I have shot enough coons to see some interesting things. I used to use .22 until i emptied 2 magazines in one before she dropped. at tis point I will only use my 5.56 or .44 magnum, and headshots. I don't like to see any animal suffer. They are very tough little critters. Chances are you hit it. there is not always a blood splater. If they are out during the day, i agrree with the previous poster, it was likley sick.

I'm about to get me some chickens... must protect the livestock!

evilcoon
07-09-2012, 06:51 PM
I'm going to try my new taser.:phaser:

FDE
07-23-2012, 06:48 PM
l burned it with my propane blow torch because i was afraid of diseases. Then I left it and came back the next day and it was gone. Now its the case of the missing dead/burnt raccoon. Which animal in their right mind would eat a solid black/burnt raccoon.

On the second thought could it be those chicken? :crazy:

WHAT?!?!? Guess thats why your degree isn't in science...
As Cackler said; if you don't know what your doing its best to leave well enough alone. I'm an avid hunter and frequently shoot pest raccoons but I was raised by experience hunters whom taught me to respect nature and strive for a clean kill. Thus not allowing an animal to suffer aswell as respect their body after its death. In other words no unnecessary burning of its body.

HemiChallenger
07-26-2012, 02:17 PM
Missed this thread. But my .02:

I typically head shot a coons with a .22lr, usually 3-4 shots. They are tough buggers. I think, like deer, they have two nervous systems. You actually kill them with 1-2 head shots and then they move all around and actually look like they are going to walk when their 2nd system kicks in making them move even though they are actually dead.

Cackler
07-26-2012, 02:35 PM
Missed this thread. But my .02:

I typically head shot a coons with a .22lr, usually 3-4 shots. They are tough buggers. I think, like deer, they have two nervous systems. You actually kill them with 1-2 head shots and then they move all around and actually look like they are going to walk when their 2nd system kicks in making them move even though they are actually dead.

Damn good thing they can't shoot back eh?

Back in the day, I dispatched more than one four legged critter with one sharp crack in the noggin with a 5 cell.

But, I have also been in some wild situations where a hit coon jumped from the tree with the intention of raising a little hell with man and beast. Those close quarters dances with coons can be a might interesting, thats for certain.