PDA

View Full Version : Terrible but Preventable Tragedy in Brighton

mabeaton
06-30-2012, 04:23 PM
An accidental discharge has killed a man at a range is Brighton.

Details are slim; but it seemed like the gun jammed. In the process of clearing the gun, it went off, striking his buddy in the head.

Never point the barrel of a gun at anything you don't want to destroy. If a gun jams, point it downrange and keep people back.

More at the Detroit News site . . . http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120630/METRO04/206300381/1361/Firearm-discharges--kills-man-at-Brighton-Twp.-gun-club

ColonelKurtz
06-30-2012, 04:31 PM
Never point the barrel of a gun at anything you don't want to destroy.
an important and simple rule, but one too seldom followed :shake:

poor *******, one dead, several lives changed forever...

Cackler
06-30-2012, 04:33 PM
Damn...

Prayers out for the folks that have to live with the aftermath.

RSF
06-30-2012, 04:56 PM
Guys are a bit late on this

It was a negligent discharge lives of a young man and another's family are ruined

These are hard life lessons learned in death
Tragic but preventable

dramey82
06-30-2012, 05:49 PM
http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=184150

Barrettone
06-30-2012, 05:50 PM
Both were non-members from what I have been told.

Barrettone
06-30-2012, 05:53 PM
FYI...This happened at Livingston Conservation and Sportsmanship Club NOT Livingston Gun Club...These are two seperate entities!!!

Wolvee
06-30-2012, 06:00 PM
Lets hope for charges soon.

Quantum007
06-30-2012, 06:28 PM
http://www.livingstondaily.com/article/20120630/NEWS01/120630001/Sheriff-Man-accidentally-shoots-kills-friend?odyssey=mod|breaking|text|Frontpage

No one was a member of the club, and none had permission to be there according to the Sheriff

noob5,000,000
06-30-2012, 07:01 PM
In the process of clearing the gun, it went off, striking his buddy in the head.

Jeez... Shooting yourself is one thing, but when it's someone else, friend or not, I can't imagine what it would be like living with that.

wrinkledshirt
06-30-2012, 08:36 PM
Lets hope for charges soon.

No, let's let local law enforcement do their job. Just because you read something on the internet churned out by some moron journalist doesn't make it true.

Wolvee
06-30-2012, 08:42 PM
No, let's let local law enforcement do their job. Just because you read something on the internet churned out by some moron journalist doesn't make it true.

The friend was 12' down range I'll hope for the best that it was only an accident but even an accident is punishable.

autosurgeon
06-30-2012, 11:20 PM
This type of potential situation was why we pushed so hard over the protests of some older members that you lock the gate when you come in or go out unless there is a sanctioned event with range officers or board members in attendance.

Over on the SW side my club used to be known as the public shooting spot.

fbuckner
07-01-2012, 07:28 PM
thats why HGC has a gate that is locked or now has a card access to.

RSF
07-01-2012, 07:55 PM
thats why HGC has a gate that is locked or now has a card access to.

yes but even with gate codes and locks

locals still come and go to many area ranges

layers are usefull and pass codes and gates are good things sometimes there not ever enough

fbuckner
07-01-2012, 09:39 PM
Im taking a wild guess here but im guessing there had to be someone else on the range somewhere. It is a sad and tragic event that took place but as you put it layers can curtail some of this. Lock the gate behind you,Have ID on you and members ask to see id if someone doesnt look familiar. Along with that members need to not be butt hurt if someone askes to see theirs. The families have to live with this forever and im sure as with almost anything else in society there will be litigation of some sort. Trespassing or not someone will be out some money as soon as the law gets involved.

RSF
07-01-2012, 09:50 PM
Im taking a wild guess here but im guessing there had to be someone else on the range somewhere. It is a sad and tragic event that took place but as you put it layers can curtail some of this. Lock the gate behind you,Have ID on you and members ask to see id if someone doesnt look familiar. Along with that members need to not be butt hurt if someone askes to see theirs. The families have to live with this forever and im sure as with almost anything else in society there will be litigation of some sort. Trespassing or not someone will be out some money as soon as the law gets involved.

or worse a club gone...........

wrinkledshirt
07-01-2012, 10:02 PM
I fear this tragic accident, perpetrated by people who violated multiple safety rules, will lead to an exponential rise in range nazism.

langenc
07-01-2012, 10:14 PM
I visited a range in Montana w/ Brother in law and they (his wife) had to wear ID tags around neck while on the range. They were members.

At our range a large sign was placed this spring-- MEMBERS & GUESTS ONLY-
that sign cut shooting down considerably. Apparently many thought this was a public range. There is a gate but is is open most of the time. Hopefully the last one out locks but I bet not.

JimSig
07-01-2012, 10:55 PM
or worse a club gone...........

It is a shame for this club to be closed because of this incident; I like this club. I shoot IDPA at their. I don't see why the club will be penalized eventhough the accident was caused by tresspassers. But again, politics and propaganda (be it money, or antigun etc..) might heave hidden channels to affect the judicial outcome.

autosurgeon
07-02-2012, 03:08 PM
The club is reopening today!

http://www.lcsa.info/

TAC
07-02-2012, 07:02 PM
Follow-up...

Assault rifle brought to gun range; teen shoots friend when gun jams

Read more: http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region/livingston_county/assault-rifle-brought-to-gun-range-teen-shoots-friend-when-gun-jams#ixzz1zVrc1O4f

Smokepole
07-02-2012, 08:46 PM
"I'm sad and I'm angry," said Smith. "I don't know why anybody has to have an assault weapon unless they're in Afghanistan."
...Now you know why they'll never "get it".
Because they can't think.
...Ask this ditz if it would have been better if the gun had a walnut stock, with blued barrel, and said Remington.
...Total idiot.

Ghost11503
07-03-2012, 12:38 PM
Follow-up...

Assault rifle brought to gun range; teen shoots friend when gun jams

Read more: http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region/livingston_county/assault-rifle-brought-to-gun-range-teen-shoots-friend-when-gun-jams#ixzz1zVrc1O4f

I wasn't about to get in a comment war with an idiot on channel 7's page but did you see where someone said "Are you saying you'd just as soon get shot by an AK-47 as .22? Man you can't be serious. The chances of survival from a .22 are much higher than an AK and being the so-called gun expert you like to sound like, you should know it." Well lets see, it was a head shot at about 12 feet... So many dumb people out there.

Rooster4570
07-03-2012, 02:52 PM
I was a member of LCSA, and they are very strict. When your are by yourself you lock that gate behind you. I don't know if the rules have changed. When you park YOU SIGN IN, NO IF's OR But's you must sign in. Sorry to hear about the shooting, kid had his life cut short by an IDIOT that shouldn't have been there to start with. I've been hunting all my life I've had ftf, jammed actions, and they were always pointed down range. People just don't think anymore, or use common sense. This accident is just more fuel for the Anti-Gun Cronies
just because it was an AK, and not a .22 .

noob5,000,000
07-03-2012, 10:30 PM
I wasn't about to get in a comment war with an idiot on channel 7's page but did you see where someone said "Are you saying you'd just as soon get shot by an AK-47 as .22? Man you can't be serious. The chances of survival from a .22 are much higher than an AK and being the so-called gun expert you like to sound like, you should know it." Well lets see, it was a head shot at about 12 feet... So many dumb people out there.
Heh, I posted the comment he was responding to.

sourdough44
07-15-2012, 06:49 PM
Muzzle control is always important, all the more so when you are trying to clear a malfunction. If the immediate area isn't safe, take it to where you can work on it.