PDA

View Full Version : Self Defense Impact Weapons Class September 16, 2012

appliancebrad
07-08-2012, 08:10 PM
Where: Litchfield Armory 102 Jonesville St Litchfield, Michigan 49252

When: Canceled

Cost: $125.00 includes a cane and kubaton to take home

Instructor: Greg Ellifritz

Active Response Training will be presenting a one day impact weapons course focusing on teaching simple and effective self-defense techniques with a walking cane and a Kubaton. The Kubaton is a smaller impact weapon that usually is attached to a key chain. Kubaton techn...iques can also be utilized with hand held flashlights and stout pens.

Students will learn stances, striking and blocking techniques, rapid deployment drills, defenses against common street attacks, and lower force level control options using all three weapons types. We will also cover multiple assailant confrontation and ground fighting with both weapons. The class will be a fast-paced combination of striking drills and force on force scenarios with other students.

Each student will receive his/her own cane and Kubaton to use in training and take home after completion of the class.

It may not be legal to carry your defensive firearm in all locations. Canes and flashlights are allowed everywhere! Come learn how to turn those seemingly innocuous objects into effective weapons. You’ll never be unarmed again!

Instructor:

Your class will be instructed by Greg Ellifritz, a 16-year veteran police officer and President of Active Response Training. Greg has been the full time tactical training officer for his police department for the last 12 years, planning and conducting all of the in-service training for a 50+ officer agency.

Greg holds instructor or master instructor certifications in more than 75 different weapons systems, defensive tactics programs, and law enforcement specialty areas. He has a Master’s degree in Public Policy and Management and has written for several publications including: ‘The Firearms Instructor”, “Ohio Police Chief”, “Combat Handguns” and “Concealed Carry Magazine”.

Greg has additional impact weapon instructor certifications from ASP (Baton), OPOTA (Baton), Modern Warrior (Baton), Pro-Systems (Kubaton), and The Talon Group (close quarter impact weapon instructor). He has also trained in impact weapon techniques with legendary trainers: Mike Janich, James Keating, Hock Hockheim, and Kelly Worden. More information about Greg can be found on his website www.activeresponsetraining.net

appliancebrad
07-28-2012, 11:14 AM
We still have slots available. This is going to be a very different and interesting class. Contact me if you have questions. The most common one ot date has been regarding the fitness level. Greg will work with anyone to help them complete the class.

appliancebrad
08-11-2012, 10:05 AM
If you are interested in attending this class, deposits are due now. You can call with a CC # 800-423-2723.

This is a unique opportunity to obtain some training not usually offered locally. Call the number above, e-mail or PM me if you have questions.

This course is adaptable to those with some physical limitations. The biggest thing is your ability to stand during the drills.

Hope to see your in September.

appliancebrad
08-25-2012, 10:32 PM
Bump. Still have openings. Contact me if you have questions.

appliancebrad
09-02-2012, 11:59 AM
Due to under enrollment, we have cancelled this class. Refunds have been mailed to those who made deposits.

Greg will be teaching Defensive Knife (http://tdiohio.com/defensive-knife/) at TDI Dec 1-2 for a cost of $350. They will likely offer Impact Weapons (http://tdiohio.com/integrated-impact-weapon-class/) there as a 2 day class in the spring of 2013 for $380 for a 2 day class.

This was an opportunity to train with a top level trainer from TDI at a lower than usual cost with minimal travel and no overnight costs. I've been to TDI a couple of times and gas, lodging and meals adds about $400 to the cost of the class. I'm disappointed we couldn't fill the slots and would be interested in getting feedback from any of you as to why there was a low appeal to this class. Thanks.

Glossberg
09-02-2012, 01:38 PM
Due to under enrollment, we have cancelled this class. Refunds have been mailed to those who made deposits.

Greg will be teaching Defensive Knife (http://tdiohio.com/defensive-knife/) at TDI Dec 1-2 for a cost of $350. They will likely offer Impact Weapons (http://tdiohio.com/integrated-impact-weapon-class/) there as a 2 day class in the spring of 2013 for $380 for a 2 day class.

This was an opportunity to train with a top level trainer from TDI at a lower than usual cost with minimal travel and no overnight costs. I've been to TDI a couple of times and gas, lodging and meals adds about $400 to the cost of the class. I'm disappointed we couldn't fill the slots and would be interested in getting feedback from any of you as to why there was a low appeal to this class. Thanks.

Lack of exposure and education in using a cane as a great weapon for self defense (generally speaking). Back to the saying you don't know what you don't know. On this board I can't recall once when others mentioned a cane as a viable self defense weapon. Focus tends to be firearms, knives, flashlights and oc. All great option for various situations but certainly not the only options.

I think a cane is a fantastic defensive weapon if applied properly along side of hand to hand. It's innocuous, a weapon that you don't have to draw since it's in you hand already, if used properly with proper movement can keep bg's at a safe distance, and can be taken with you literally anywhere including places like courtrooms and on airlines and they can't legally ask you why you need it.

It's really unfortunate this class wasn't a go. It was certainly a great learning opportunity that I hope you approach again down the road. Funny you mention the defensive knife class Dec 1 & 2. I've been trying to see if I can make that work for me in my schedule and financially. As you a said though, with all the expenses it is going to be $800 for the weekend.

appliancebrad
09-02-2012, 10:58 PM
Thanks Glossberg. Greg teaches the class at famed knifemaker Rick Hinderer's place at least once a year as well. I've considered going to that one because you can camp at Rick's shop and cut the cost down.