PDA

View Full Version : Firearm insurance

DP425
07-12-2012, 10:58 PM
I'm looking for some information on insurance for firearms. Not so much a blanklet add-on for home owners or a rider... but separate firearms insurance that will cover theft, fire, acts of god... all that sort of stuff. Realistically, I need ideas for between $20-$30k of firearms insurance. Would love the input!

Thanks!!

RRrider
07-12-2012, 11:07 PM
Rider on home insurance, all risk, no deductible.

Besides that? NRA still offer overpriced insurance?

1-504 PIR
07-14-2012, 04:45 AM
You may want to look at this company for firearm insurance. I think they have reasonable rates.

http://www.collectinsure.com/

bebrown1075
07-14-2012, 04:32 PM
I have State Farm and carry what is called personal articles policy. I had to provide details of each firearm I have. They are insured for all perils with $0 deductable. It is quite cheap.

Brad

pistoltraining
07-14-2012, 04:50 PM
The NRA give you some with a $25 annual membership. Not sure how much for 20K.

http://membership.nrahq.org/default.asp?campaignid=XI018606

I'm looking for some information on insurance for firearms. Not so much a blanklet add-on for home owners or a rider... but separate firearms insurance that will cover theft, fire, acts of god... all that sort of stuff. Realistically, I need ideas for between $20-$30k of firearms insurance. Would love the input!

Thanks!!

BlueWing
07-15-2012, 11:37 AM
If you have Fremont Insurance, which is a MI company and AAA+ rated. You have UNLIMITED firearm insurance coverage.
They are a great company to deal with and have great rates.
I have had them for over 20 years.

Knightrider03m
07-15-2012, 10:01 PM
I just use NRAs insurance. They cover you up to $1,000. Doesn't mean much if I'm at home but if I'm away from home it works out just fine.

Cackler
07-16-2012, 06:49 AM
If you have Fremont Insurance, which is a MI company and AAA+ rated. You have UNLIMITED firearm insurance coverage.
They are a great company to deal with and have great rates.
I have had them for over 20 years.

I don't know about the firearms insurance but I no longer have Fremont because of an unscrupulous adjuster and a denied claim (after a branch went through a roof).

That was the second adjuster issue (after a different one made me tear out a ceramic bath to prove there was no leak). They paid for that mess up.

What my current insurance agent told me to do was the same thing he does, use the premium money to buy more safes.

langenc
07-16-2012, 05:26 PM
Thisa is the kind of info we need.

We really need it regarding lousy CPL course instructors and those that say you need a $50-$100 'refresher' course for CPL renewal.

pgaplayerless
07-17-2012, 07:05 PM
Eastern Firearms Insurance....... $110/yr for $25k policy min.....

Cackler
07-17-2012, 07:43 PM
Eastern Firearms Insurance....... $110/yr for $25k policy min.....

Do they require serial numbers?

pgaplayerless
07-17-2012, 07:53 PM
Do they require serial numbers?

Nein. Broad coverage.....covers accessories, ammo, etc too

Cackler
07-17-2012, 09:06 PM

So you don't even have to carry your homeowners policy through them?

That is interesting and may be worth exploring further when I get around to buying a firearm.

DP425
07-18-2012, 01:12 AM

Perfect! This is the kind of info I was looking for! That is very reasonable coverage that keeps home owners out of it. I'll be checking into this.

usmcpaul
07-19-2012, 06:33 PM
I have no idea about insurance carriers, but don't forget to take good pictures of all of them and keep the pics in a safe location (i.e. backed up to email or thumb drive kept off site). It could really make a big difference when making a claim.

DP425
07-19-2012, 08:23 PM
I have no idea about insurance carriers, but don't forget to take good pictures of all of them and keep the pics in a safe location (i.e. backed up to email or thumb drive kept off site). It could really make a big difference when making a claim.

Very good advise! I did that a number of years ago- I've sold and bought new guns though and really need to update the info kept at my sister's place.

cherokee chief
07-26-2012, 10:33 AM
State farm is $2 per $100 of coverage a year. The rep will come out and look over your guns and take notes on them.

costanza
07-27-2012, 07:41 AM
Very good advise! I did that a number of years ago- I've sold and bought new guns though and really need to update the info kept at my sister's place.
Yes, photos and a spreadsheet with serial numbers and descriptions kept on a flash drive in your vault is great advice. Take photos of EVERYTHING in your home, including closets, drawers, kitchen appliances, tools, tv's, etc.

Firearm values without an apprasial, however, will likely be debated by your insurace company. My homeowner's policy had $3000 firearms coverage, and I had to fight for every cent with Allstate. "Gee, your Series 70 Colt Government model was 35 years old and is only worth $132" One other bit of advice...DO NOT USE ALLSTATE. If you have them now, switch before it is too late...
Regards,
Costanza

matty
07-29-2012, 11:04 AM
Never thought of this thanks for the info.

jjkukla
07-31-2012, 08:47 PM
We use Allstate for our home owners insurance. I recently added $10k of firearms and $5k of jewelry coverage to our policy (base policy was only 2.5k and 1k respectively, I think)... the monthly payment went from $80-ish to $94. As was stated earlier, I provided photos of firearms along with accessories (optics especially!). Talk to your agent.

partdeux
07-31-2012, 09:18 PM
I'll second the allstate comment... find a new company

WRT homeowners add on policy, it's very affordable to add on. But, it's only as good as the base policy. Read the allstate comment!

costanza
08-01-2012, 07:13 AM
We use Allstate for our home owners insurance. I recently added $10k of firearms and $5k of jewelry coverage to our policy (base policy was only 2.5k and 1k respectively, I think)... the monthly payment went from $80-ish to $94. As was stated earlier, I provided photos of firearms along with accessories (optics especially!). Talk to your agent.
My Allstate agent is (seems to be) a good guy, but seems to be handcuffed when it comes to lowering rates. My east Dearborn zip code and credit score is killing me. He quoted me $40 a month extra for $10,000 firearms insurance two years ago! $500 a year? that buys a lot of guns and vaults in short order! I am calling PGA's guy!

Again, I strongly encourage everyone to photo/video the contents of their home. Not just the guns, but everything! Without my photos and Excel spreadsheet with gun models, serial numbers and estimated values, I'd have received almost nothing after my theft from Allstate. I laugh out loud when I see their commercials about how good they treat you.
Regards,
Costanza

langenc
08-05-2012, 05:26 PM
I just use NRAs insurance. They cover you up to $1,000. Doesn't mean much if I'm at home but if I'm away from home it works out just fine.

One gun, or less in many cases!!

I have a buddy that told me about an experience with an insurance salesman buddy.

We will say Bill--had USAA for insurance, auto, home and his wifes diamond on a rider since it was pretty good size. . His buddy said let me quote the policy.. OK said Bill-the quote was quite a bit less. Bill switched. In a few years the total had increased quite a bit. Biull got hold of buddy to see what was going on. It seemed the house/auto was about the same as before but the rider had gone way UP. Bill found out that they (ins Cos) do it that way as most dont keep track of the riders.. Be careful with the riders-diamonds/guns or what have you.

pgaplayerless
08-05-2012, 07:51 PM
So you don't even have to carry your homeowners policy through them?

That is interesting and may be worth exploring further when I get around to buying a firearm.

nope.

zigziggityzoo
08-05-2012, 09:33 PM
When I insured my CAMERA equipment, I listed every item by name and serial number. Some equipment is old, and rare, so I listed it with an insured value by appraisal (got my appraisal at a local shop and had it notarized, good to go).

Should I ever lose any CAMERA equipment, I can just tell them which pieces and a check gets cut to me.

Don't see why it should be any different with guns.