PDA

View Full Version : Holy Chit!!!!

derrabe
07-15-2012, 09:11 AM
Sorry if this doesn't make some sense still shaken up a bit.

I was getting ready for the day today and was putting my BUC(9mm derringer) on my ankle. The wife came in as I was just bending to put it on from the bed. Asked me to assist her with hooking her bra. Thinking nothing of it I stopped but the derringer on bed and leaned forward to assist the wife. As I leaned forward the derringer slipped off the edge of the bed and land I guess on its hammer and went bang right next to my foot. First thing we did was check all of us for any injury, I had powder burns on my foot. Then we looked to the left and about head level was a bullet hole in the wall, went all the way through to the living room then ricocheted up wards in to my attic. It appears the bullet is somewhere between the ceiling and the attic floor cant find any exit from there and cant see the bullet through the hole.

We are all a bit shaken, and surprised that it even went off because the hammer was not cocked. The holster is destroyed and thank god we are all ok. Lesson so far learned, when doing anything with a firearm, finish it before moving to something else for even a second.

CrimDoc
07-15-2012, 09:21 AM
Glad you and the wife are OK; and glad that the round didn't exit your home. Situation would have been even more difficult if the neighbors found a 9mm bullet in THEIR living room.

Seems like 9 times out of 10 when I read an "I dropped the gun and had an AD" story it involves a very small, cheap gun. Your story is unique because the firearm was holstered (in most similar stories it is not).

Really makes me think twice about carrying these kinds of firearms.

Sorry if this doesn't make some sense still shaken up a bit.

I was getting ready for the day today and was putting my BUC(9mm derringer) on my ankle. The wife came in as I was just bending to put it on from the bed. Asked me to assist her with hooking her bra. Thinking nothing of it I stopped but the derringer on bed and leaned forward to assist the wife. As I leaned forward the derringer slipped off the edge of the bed and land I guess on its hammer and went bang right next to my foot. First thing we did was check all of us for any injury, I had powder burns on my foot. Then we looked to the left and about head level was a bullet hole in the wall, went all the way through to the living room then ricocheted up wards in to my attic. It appears the bullet is somewhere between the ceiling and the attic floor cant find any exit from there and cant see the bullet through the hole.

We are all a bit shaken, and surprised that it even went off because the hammer was not cocked. The holster is destroyed and thank god we are all ok. Lesson so far learned, when doing anything with a firearm, finish it before moving to something else for even a second.

ILoveMyGlock
07-15-2012, 09:26 AM
Glad you're OK man.

teecro
07-15-2012, 09:31 AM
Very glad to hear that no one was hurt and or killed by your mistake...

Most derringers lack any safety devises due to their tiny sizes and can fire a round if the hammer is struck; for this reason I will not own one.

tote'ngranny
07-15-2012, 09:48 AM
FAQ - Mini-Revolver Safety Cylinder

http://newsite.naaminis.com/safetycylinder

Marcus
07-15-2012, 11:39 AM
What make derringer?

Astrogiblet
07-15-2012, 11:55 AM
Glad you're OK.

Seems like 9 times out of 10 when I read an "I dropped the gun and had an AD" story it involves a very small, cheap gun.

Too true. Doesn't even have to be small... just cheap guns always seem to be the ones that people have AD's on, or end up shooting their leg/vehicle with.

derrabe
07-15-2012, 12:01 PM
Cobra Derringer

Marcus
07-15-2012, 12:17 PM
Cobra Derringerprobably gonna be in Market Place now eh?

I had a very similar experiance with my XDM .45. A year ago, I had just purchased it and was packing up my bags in a hotel. With my hands already full of luggage, I grabbed the leather holstered pistol from the night stand to take it to the car for storage mode.

While struggling to open the door, the pistol fell out of the open top just as I said "chit!". As I looked quick to catch it, I watched it land on the floor barrel-up. No AD....

This taught me a very important lesson in firearms handling.

derrabe
07-15-2012, 12:45 PM
Actually no I still really like the pistol just will have to be a lot more cautious on where I set it down

OpenSights
07-15-2012, 12:54 PM
For .22 mag, problem solved.

http://i983.photobucket.com/albums/ae314/OpenSights/IMG_20120715_135034.jpg

Not a quick draw by any means, but a good/cheap caliber/gun for a safe BUG... and by no means the only option.... just mine right now.

Threads like these are needed!

PeeDee
07-15-2012, 12:57 PM
Handle firearms for long enough and something negative is bound to happen. I liken it to these guys handling poisonous snakes. Fortunately MOST instances are not fatal or injurious but they still occur.

In 1980 I disassembled and tuned a Series 70 Colt Commander, feed ramp, slide, internals installed beavertail safety, etc. I had been shooting for nearly 25 years up to that time. After repeated assembly and dis-assembly and polshing, etc I went to a friend's farm where he had a 100 yard rifle range with benches etc and did the final tweaking on a shooting bench @ 50 yards then proceeded to take my five magazines to the 10 yard line where there was a backstop and target frame. Being lazy, I drove my Corvair (yes, it was a while ago :) )to about 40 feet to the target. I loaded 5 rounds in each magazine to determine function and shot all 5 rapid fire @ dry yellow page phone books. On the final magazine, the slide did not lock back. KNOWING I had only loaded 5 in each magazine, I ASSUMED the follower was at fault. I turned and pointed the EMPTY pistol at the right front wheel of my car. THEN, just as began to pull the trigger, I remembered what I had been taght when very young - Don't point a gun at anything you don't intend to shoot.

KNOWING the gun was empty I stepped toward the target, held the muzzle to the ground and 'clicked' the trigger. When the gun fired I jumped higher than I could have ever imagined.

That was over 30 years ago. I still think of it at times.

To me the 'finger off trigger' rule has always been 2nd to where the muzzle is pointed.

.40 Cal
07-15-2012, 01:05 PM
Yikes! I've generally learned from others stories that which you said you learned. Glad everyone's Ok!

Astrogiblet
07-15-2012, 01:09 PM

Not a quick draw by any means, but a good/cheap caliber/gun for a safe BUG... and by no means the only option.... just mine right now.

That holster doesn't help if it drops on the hammer and the gun goes off! Seems like the firing pin needs to be locked except for when the trigger is pulled to resolve OP's issue.

Marcus
07-15-2012, 01:13 PM
Handle firearms for long enough and something negative is bound to happen. I liken it to these guys handling poisonous snakes. Fortunately MOST instances are not fatal or injurious but they still occur.

In 1980 I disassembled and tuned a Series 70 Colt Commander, feed ramp, slide, internals installed beavertail safety, etc. I had been shooting for nearly 25 years up to that time. After repeated assembly and dis-assembly and polshing, etc I went to a friend's farm where he had a 100 yard rifle range with benches etc and did the final tweaking on a shooting bench @ 50 yards then proceeded to take my five magazines to the 10 yard line where there was a backstop and target frame. Being lazy, I drove my Corvair (yes, it was a while ago :) )to about 40 feet to the target. I loaded 5 rounds in each magazine to determine function and shot all 5 rapid fire @ dry yellow page phone books. On the final magazine, the slide did not lock back. KNOWING I had only loaded 5 in each magazine, I ASSUMED the follower was at fault. I turned and pointed the EMPTY pistol at the right front wheel of my car. THEN, just as began to pull the trigger, I remembered what I had been taght when very young - Don't point a gun at anything you don't intend to shoot.

KNOWING the gun was empty I stepped toward the target, held the muzzle to the ground and 'clicked' the trigger. When the gun fired I jumped higher than I could have ever imagined.

That was over 30 years ago. I still think of it at times.

To me the 'finger off trigger' rule has always been 2nd to where the muzzle is pointed.

See? Nader said bad things happen to people w/covairs

OpenSights
07-15-2012, 01:22 PM
That holster doesn't help if it drops on the hammer and the gun goes off! Seems like the firing pin needs to be locked except for when the trigger is pulled to resolve OP's issue.

The hammer of the gun in my post does not rest on a round... so how could it fire with a strike on the hammer? I'm just a plumber, so maybe I don't understand as much about guns as you.

Tom Fineis
07-15-2012, 01:23 PM
As I looked quick to catch it

NEVER attempt to catch a falling gun (or knife).

tote'ngranny
07-15-2012, 01:33 PM

http://i983.photobucket.com/albums/ae314/OpenSights/IMG_20120715_135034.jpg

I have the same little pocket gun as this, and the hammer does not rest on a round. You have to cock the hammer to bring a round in place. The holster grip covers the trigger.

http://newsite.naaminis.com/safetycylinder

OpenSights
07-15-2012, 01:34 PM

Yeah... done that with a knife before, not a gun, but other dangerous tools too. Not very good results. Really wanna take that Med class when it comes back again. Missed out on two for either financial or scheduling reasons.

derrabe
07-15-2012, 01:47 PM
I am not sure how this solves the problem the hammer is still exposed, the gun was fully holstered and just land on the hammer with enough force to hit the primer hard enough. The trigger had nothing to do with it.

tote'ngranny
07-15-2012, 01:51 PM
I am not sure how this solves the problem the hammer is still exposed, the gun was fully holstered and just land on the hammer with enough force to hit the primer hard enough. The trigger had nothing to do with it.
Because the hammer isn't resting on a round it's resting on a groove in the cylinder between rounds.

OpenSights
07-15-2012, 01:52 PM

Example... sorry for the delay...

http://i983.photobucket.com/albums/ae314/OpenSights/IMG_20120715_144739.jpg

See the notches between the rounds? That is where the hammer rests, when folded the trigger is concealed. Thus a safe, non quick draw BUG.

Works good enough for a pocket gun for me. Been thinking of a BG .380 with a pocket holster... but I have way too many projects and other guns to buy first.

Astrogiblet
07-15-2012, 02:11 PM
Example... sorry for the delay...

See the notches between the rounds? That is where the hammer rests, when folded the trigger is concealed. Thus a safe, non quick draw BUG.

Works good enough for a pocket gun for me. Been thinking of a BG .380 with a pocket holster... but I have way too many projects and other guns to buy first.

Ah OK. I stand corrected.

I'll see myself out.. :D

tote'ngranny
07-15-2012, 02:34 PM
The nice thing about the NAA revolver that I and OpenSights have is that we both got this with two cylinders, a 22mag and a 22LR conversion cylinder.

OpenSights
07-15-2012, 02:35 PM
No reason to see yourself out of a constructive thread. I know I don't have all the answers... MGO use to be about helping other people out... seems like it's just a big peeing match anymore.

Threads like this one are the only reason I post anymore.

shurhouse
07-15-2012, 03:09 PM

+1, a scratch won't hurt a pulled trigger will.

PeeDee
07-15-2012, 05:19 PM
See? Nader said bad things happen to people w/covairs

:)

What Nader and many others didn't know was that GM had planned to discontinue the Corvair long before he went against its 'unsafeness' b/c the car was not as profitable as the full size Chevies. The aluminum engine, corvette-style 4 wheel alignment, turbo options (1st production American turbo-charged car IIRC) were too expensive compared to the return on cost-to-mfg. GM made the last 1.5-2 years of Corvair from mainly existing parts and specific model designations/features were a mix - some cars had so many different model features in a single vehicle and were so odd ball they became collectors' items.

Nader benefited from something he had nothing to do with. (And some think the Corvair will outlast his popularity anyway :score: )

The quesiton is - Are Corvairs safer than Glocks?!?! ;) :naughty: :mischeif:

bagz013
07-15-2012, 05:25 PM
WOW man!! Glad everyone is safe!!

Bet Wifey won't let you touch her bra again :brow:

derrabe
07-15-2012, 06:28 PM
Because the hammer isn't resting on a round it's resting on a groove in the cylinder between rounds.

I wasn't directing my post at yours I was directing at the picture of the holster saying my problem was solved. Sorry for the confusion.

Also my 3 year old was in the room also just was on the other side of the room. Playing with our dog. still feels unreal, almost dream like. It sounded like a footwork going off.

I have now patched the holes and begin painting. thanking my lucky stars it read a hollow point round and not am fmj our it probably would have gone a lot farther.

RayMich
07-15-2012, 07:14 PM
That is just one of the reasons why I don't like a derringer.

probably gonna be in Market Place now eh?

I had a very similar experiance with my XDM .45. A year ago, I had just purchased it and was packing up my bags in a hotel. With my hands already full of luggage, I grabbed the leather holstered pistol from the night stand to take it to the car for storage mode.

While struggling to open the door, the pistol fell out of the open top just as I said "chit!". As I looked quick to catch it, I watched it land on the floor barrel-up. No AD....

This taught me a very important lesson in firearms handling.

XDs and XD(M)s have a very good striker block safety that only allow the striker to contact the chambered round when the trigger is fully depressed. Glocks, S&W and most modern handguns also have some type of drop safety that will prevent the gun from firing if dropped.

Although I hope to never drop a gun, a drop safety is very high in my priority list for handguns. I wish all shotguns also had a positive drop safety, but unfortunately most shotguns I am familiar with don't have a positive drop safety.

teecro
07-15-2012, 07:43 PM
I wasn't directing my post at yours I was directing at the picture of the holster saying my problem was solved. Sorry for the confusion.

Also my 3 year old was in the room also just was on the other side of the room. Playing with our dog. still feels unreal, almost dream like. It sounded like a footwork going off.

I have now patched the holes and begin painting. thanking my lucky stars it read a hollow point round and not am fmj our it probably would have gone a lot farther.

Derrabe I'm not going to make light of the subject and neither should you plain and simple you and your family got off lucky today.... According to your postings you have been shooting for all of 7 months and today you had a negligent discharge. There is absolutely no margin for error when it comes to the safe handling of guns and if you can't safely handle your gun/guns 100 % of the time then perhaps you should do a bit of soul searching here as if there is a next time perhaps luck will no longer be on your side.

tote'ngranny
07-15-2012, 07:49 PM

Just glad that no one was hurt. Eh .. a little patch job .. no biggie, but it sure puts things into a different perspective. I am not going to beat up on you, as I doubt that you are the first, nor will be the last to drop a gun .. and that includes some of the more experienced owners here.

Thank you for sharing your experience .. as a wake up call for everyone.

OpenSights
07-15-2012, 08:04 PM
I've been shooting since the ripe old age of 4.5, pellet guns earlier than that. Yes I've had AD's or ND's. They happen for a reason, to remind us of the dangers of the tools we use. Most plumbers I know are scared to death of a grinder. I use one like my guns, all attached safeties removed... with the exception of my shield... know the tool you use, how the operate, how they act, and most importantly what can go very wrong very quickly. Unfortunately, I'm more skilled with a grinder than any gun.

derrabe
07-15-2012, 08:24 PM
Derrabe I'm not going to make light of the subject and neither should you plain and simple you and your family got off lucky today.... According to your postings you have been shooting for all of 7 months and today you had a negligent discharge. There is absolutely no margin for error when it comes to the safe handling of guns and if you can't safely handle your gun/guns 100 % of the time then perhaps you should do a bit of soul searching here as if there is a next time perhaps luck will no longer be on your side.

I agree with you to an extent on the soul searching part, and have already gone over many ways that the situation could have been handled, trust me when I say I am not taking this lightly, nor am I making excuses. I know what could have happened and I am thanking God for this result as opposed to the alternative.

I didn't even see the gun fall just heard the pop and noticed my shredded holster on the floor and then felt the burning feeling in my foot. As I have been playing this over in my head all day long the one thing I realized is that the bullet barely missed my face, head by probably a few inches and I would have never even known what happened. I was leaning towards my wife with my head at the time.

As far as being safe I thought I was, the hammer was not in the ready position and it was even holstered with a thumb break secured. I had no idea the firing pin could do what it did. Your right I am a newer shooter and gun owner and hopefully some one will read this story and learn a lesson from my mistake, I know I sure did. I definitely will be a lot more vigilant on making sure the gun is on a stable surface and secured before doing any thing else. As far as my son being in the room yes he could have been injured or worse, but I don't see that qualifying me as a bad gun owner as he had no access to the gun from where he was positioned. My family is my world and I make sure to do everything I can do to protect them from harm, that is the main reason I got into gun ownership was to protect them from the world.

PS sorry if this reads funny I am typing it from my phone a whole let of Swyping going on here and autocorrect is not always right.

teecro
07-15-2012, 09:08 PM
.... As far as being safe I thought I was, the hammer was not in the ready position and it was even holstered with a thumb break secured. I had no idea the firing pin could do what it did. Your right I am a newer shooter and gun owner and hopefully some one will read this story and learn a lesson from my mistake, I know I sure did. I definitely will be a lot more vigilant on making sure the gun is on a stable surface and secured before doing any thing else. As far as my son being in the room yes he could have been injured or worse, but I don't see that qualifying me as a bad gun owner as he had no access to the gun from where he was positioned. My family is my world and I make sure to do everything I can do to protect them from harm, that is the main reason I got into gun ownership was to protect them from the world.

PS sorry if this reads funny I am typing it from my phone a whole let of Swyping going on here and autocorrect is not always right.

Never implied that you were "bad" my intent was that you were very lucky in that your ND did not cost you more than a holster, some spackle and your pride..... Your negligence is that you did not know enough about the gun to know that it does not have adequate drop safety which is a very common trait among derringers.

PS you read fine.... Hope that you realize that I mean you no malice but this is one of those mistakes that we rarely get to live down much less live through.

cherokee chief
07-16-2012, 10:34 AM
Glad everything is ok.

Easyrider49
07-16-2012, 08:16 PM
Women should never wear BRA's , problem solved ! (those damn double holsters)

Seriously though HAPPY everybody is ok .

OpenSights
07-16-2012, 08:30 PM
Women should never wear BRA's , problem solved ! (those damn double holsters)

Seriously though HAPPY everybody is ok .

Depends on the size...

Marcus
07-16-2012, 08:43 PM
Depends on the size...

+1

Easyrider49
07-17-2012, 05:12 PM
Depends on the size...
The bigger the more dangerous !

Wolvee
07-17-2012, 05:20 PM

This is one of those reasons I don't carry a striker pistol anymore. There's no room for error with a Short & light trigger.

RayMich
07-21-2012, 05:15 PM
I remember reading a couple of years ago about a woman at a restaurant, in Florida I believe, who was carrying one of those derringers in her purse. The gun fell out of the purse and discharged injuring another lady diner. Last I remember, there was a HUGE lawsuit about this incident.

donald150
07-21-2012, 05:24 PM
The nice thing about the NAA revolver that I and OpenSights have is that we both got this with two cylinders, a 22mag and a 22LR conversion cylinder.

Just don't EVER fully take it apart.

Mine is still sitting in a plastic bag waiting to be reassembled.:banghead:

FDE
07-23-2012, 06:27 PM
I'm glad nobody was injured. I would definitely be reconsidering my choice in firearm. There are many options out there in about the same size package that offer additional safety.

autosurgeon
07-25-2012, 09:38 PM
Just don't EVER fully take it apart.

Mine is still sitting in a plastic bag waiting to be reassembled.:banghead:

I have taken mine completely apart and put it back together... do you need help?