PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Day Centerfire Question.

TerryW
07-22-2012, 08:23 PM
If I were to bring a 223 for the second day, how much ammo should I bring for the second day? Can you shoot part of the day centerfire and part .22? Is it a good idea to bring a centerfire, or should I stick with the 22 and work on technique? Anyone out there have any thoughts on this from their Appleseed experience?

Garymac
07-23-2012, 06:36 AM
We typically do a number of 5 shot drills on Sunday morning to get people back up to speed after Saturday. We then start doing the qualification tests (AQTs) which are 40 rounds each. We try and fit in some fun shoots as well.

It is kind of up to you how much you want to shoot the centerfire on Sunday. Most people like to shoot the 22s most of the time and then switch to the centerfire for one or two AQTS at the end of the day.

gidaeon
07-28-2012, 05:17 PM
1. Be sure the AS you are attending uses a range that allows center-fire on the particular used shoot-line. Beware the pistol bays.

2. Ask whether day 2 will involve any Known Distance range times it may impact your decision? Shooting .223 at 25yd. is of course different than having the opportunity to go for steel at say 200. IF variable distances are possible it may allow putting the whole Inches\Minutes\Clicks into practice and more ammo would be better! If\when this is available my experience was it was a somewhat minimal time for Sun. afternoon - but I am sure one of the excellent IIT or shoot boss' on here will chime in for you. Also it would be best to have non-steel core ammo with you in case steel gongs are ever available (wouldn't count on it).

FWIW one case of russian steel .223 would get you through the entire weekend with a few spare rounds left over. Each AS is a little different in terms of round count depending on participants IMO.

Oh, and beware watching or using anyone's M1 if there.. you'll end up buying one.

Garymac
07-29-2012, 09:11 AM
1. Be sure the AS you are attending uses a range that allows center-fire on the particular used shoot-line. Beware the pistol bays.

2. Ask whether day 2 will involve any Known Distance range times it may impact your decision? Shooting .223 at 25yd. is of course different than having the opportunity to go for steel at say 200. IF variable distances are possible it may allow putting the whole Inches\Minutes\Clicks into practice and more ammo would be better! If\when this is available my experience was it was a somewhat minimal time for Sun. afternoon - but I am sure one of the excellent IIT or shoot boss' on here will chime in for you. Also it would be best to have non-steel core ammo with you in case steel gongs are ever available (wouldn't count on it).

FWIW one case of russian steel .223 would get you through the entire weekend with a few spare rounds left over. Each AS is a little different in terms of round count depending on participants IMO.

Oh, and beware watching or using anyone's M1 if there.. you'll end up buying one.

Terry is attending the Houghton Lake Appleseed in August. We do allow center fire on that range and time permitting on Sunday we will try out the rifles at 100 yards.

TerryW
07-31-2012, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the inputs. I will definitely be bringing an AR or two.