PDA

View Full Version : Folded SIG556 vehicle storage solution

DP425
07-27-2012, 04:57 PM
Looking for some sort of safe/vault/lock box solution for mounting under my rear seat that I can keep my SIG556 in, folded. Looking for about 30" long, 4-5" high, 8-10" deep. Does anyone have any ideas? I've been coming up empty handed in my search.

MSGT
07-27-2012, 06:03 PM
Depending on the under seat clearance, a single rifle case secured to floor.

Dansjeep2000
07-27-2012, 06:04 PM
Depending on the under seat clearance, a single rifle case secured to floor.
This

DP425
07-27-2012, 09:05 PM
That is my fall back plan as I've seen some cases that it would fit into pretty well; being it's 27" folded, I don't want the full length of a typical rifle case. BUT, it would be most ideal if it were smaller than the cases I've see so far. Most of them are pretty heavy on depth (like 30"x6x15").

I just ordered a gunvault bio-vault micro for my pistol. I really wish I could find something with a finger print reader, but given I'm unable to locate a purpose built safe this size as is... requiring biometrics unlocking would be ridiculous.

Marcus
07-28-2012, 01:39 PM
That is my fall back plan as I've seen some cases that it would fit into pretty well; being it's 27" folded, I don't want the full length of a typical rifle case. BUT, it would be most ideal if it were smaller than the cases I've see so far. Most of them are pretty heavy on depth (like 30"x6x15").

I just ordered a gunvault bio-vault micro for my pistol. I really wish I could find something with a finger print reader, but given I'm unable to locate a purpose built safe this size as is... requiring biometrics unlocking would be ridiculous.

Ihave a bio microvault.
Test the reader well. Imo, the reader is a good idea but sucks. The key is faster.

DP425
07-30-2012, 05:29 AM
Ihave a bio microvault.
Test the reader well. Imo, the reader is a good idea but sucks. The key is faster.

Well that doesn't sound good. It seems to have a key pad as well like the regular one- does it?

Marcus
07-30-2012, 05:36 AM
Well that doesn't sound good. It seems to have a key pad as well like the regular one- does it?

Mine (nanovault) doesnt because I have a small pistol sized one with only a fingerprint reader & key. If yours has the 4 button pad, I dont have experiamce with that one.

DP425
07-30-2012, 05:36 PM
Okay so you have the NVB400?

The one I have coming is one size up and looks to have the key pad as well. But the finger reader looks to be the same scan type rather than the press and wait type.

We will see how it does

Marcus
07-30-2012, 05:51 PM
Okay so you have the NVB400?

The one I have coming is one size up and looks to have the key pad as well. But the finger reader looks to be the same scan type rather than the press and wait type.

We will see how it does

Yup.

I bought at a surplus auction for $50. The reader sucks, works intermitantly and I just use the key.

DP425
07-31-2012, 12:57 PM
Yup.

I bought at a surplus auction for $50. The reader sucks, works intermitantly and I just use the key.

Well mine came today- key pad on it that looks like a normal one does not work. So it's only print reader and key. Reader seems okay so far but we'll see as I use it more.

Marcus
07-31-2012, 01:01 PM
Well mine came today- key pad on it that looks like a normal one does not work. So it's only print reader and key. Reader seems okay so far but we'll see as I use it more.

Well I hope it goes good for ya!

I think the reader might be sensitive to oils and such...you may notice a bit of diminishing workability as you use it.

Keep us updated, maybe I just got a crappy one.

councilman24
08-11-2012, 09:57 AM
http://www.galls.com/style-VP008-general_catalog-universal-gun-lock

not a case but a lock. Or one of the other styles they make.

DarkSydeAcres
01-03-2013, 06:49 AM
I see this is an old thread but something others can consider is contacting a local car audio shop and see who is doing their custom speaker enclosures. They can create anything you can dream of.
:flag:

elwarpo
01-07-2013, 01:54 PM
Look for some of the old metal sawzall cases. I had one that was 12"x28"x6". I also in the past has one made by a local fabber. This was about 5 years ago (to secure stuff in my softtop jeep). It was 24x8x5 with 2 padlock hasps and cost about $70 (in NC).