PDA

View Full Version : Negligent Discharge with Injuries ***GRAPHIC***

apssbc
08-02-2012, 07:30 PM
Was posted to another site a few days ago. This is my story.

Hello all this post comes from a hospital bed. Earlier today I was dissembling my pistol I had cleared the gun but put the mag back in cause I was contouring the grip. Needless to say the gun went off...my finger in the trigger to dissamble im assuming. I don't remember all those details.

The gun fired. Next thing my girlfriend is screaming. I got up to check on her and she had a gsw to the leg. Below the knee through and through. I controlled the bleeding with a towel. Then she told me I was hit. I had no clue I was, was too worried about her. I had a huge wound in my thigh pouring blood. I tried calling 911 but my phone wouldn't work due to being covered in blood. She called 911 and I went to get a tq and applied it stopping the bleeding. Then I realized my palm was messed up too.

My co workers from EMS arrived, finished with a few more dressings and transported us to the trauma center. Luckily she's fine with a few small stitches. The bullet fragmented and she was struck with a 22 sized fragment. I took the brunt of the 40 cal self defense round.

As for me I lost about 500ml-1000ml of blood. Through and through so I now have lots of stitches. No surgery needed though. Off work for a few weeks.

Moral of the story follow the rules of gun safety. know medical skills and stay calm. Took them for training. My main worry was her, I can't believe I did something so *****g stupid. It's not like me as I'm always super safe. The feeling of stupidity hurts worse than the gun shot. Knowing that it could have easily gone a different way is a heavy weight. Her scream will haunt me for a long time.
http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu198/emmettfire45/d05e74f9.jpg
http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu198/emmettfire45/b0c531d7.jpg
http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu198/emmettfire45/47db831e.jpg

Although I'm an extremely competent gun owner. ONE MOMENTS INATTENTION ALMOST COST TWO LIFES.

Normally I dont work on guns in the living room, I have a gun room/ office. I will be building a bullet trap and physically locking my ammo up seperatly when I work on a gun.

Again ask any of my friends, or family, some of whom are on this site. Im confident they will agree that I am extremely saftey conscious.

apssbc
08-02-2012, 07:34 PM
Here are post stitch pics. About 30 of them. Round went through my hand as I was taking the slide off, then through my right inner thigh and out the left thigh. Bullet fragmented and the GF caught spall.
http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu198/emmettfire45/dc6bbe4d.jpg
http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu198/emmettfire45/9b42c1df.jpg
http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu198/emmettfire45/da42b92d.jpg

As for the PD side we are waiting to make statements to the detective, I will be getting the gun, slug, and fragment that hit her back soon.

The gun was a M&P 40, 165gr Remington Golden Saber

thatguy423
08-02-2012, 07:39 PM
Damn, glad you guys are both above ground.. Might want to seriously consider buying her a nice gift!

RRrider
08-02-2012, 07:40 PM
wow. Glad both you and your gf are still alive and breathing.

as you said

physically locking my ammo up seperatly when I work on a gun

dougwg
08-02-2012, 07:44 PM
Thank you for posting.

An excellent reminder of firearm safety AND medical training!

Get well soon!

DP425
08-02-2012, 07:46 PM
First, good job on recognizing your responsibility and being willing to own it on a public forum. A lot of people don't have the fortitude to do such a thing.

Second, I wish you a speedy recovery. I've been in bed all week after a crash on a motorcycle (also my fault); obviously not as bad as a GSW, but fairly painful with a fractured face, missing skin and stitches. So I feel you and your discouraging diminished ability...

Last, there isn't much to be learned from my accident... but this is a vivid reminder how important proper gun safety is; one simple slip of the brain... brief lack of attention can take a life in an instant! Glad everyone is going to be alright and thank you for sharing.

dramey82
08-02-2012, 07:48 PM
"Moral of the story follow the rules of gun safety. know medical skills and stay calm"

One of the most important things to rememner, I know it's different when it really happens, get well soon.

snowdog
08-02-2012, 08:49 PM
Thanks coming forward with your story, it’s a good reminder about gun safety. I don’t think I could have come forward and discussed this like you have. I don’t care what people say, it takes a lot of courage do that. God Speed for both of you on your recovery.

Made_in_Michigan
08-02-2012, 09:28 PM
First, good job on recognizing your responsibility and being willing to own it on a public forum. A lot of people don't have the fortitude to do such a thing.

*snip*

this is a vivid reminder how important proper gun safety is; one simple slip of the brain... brief lack of attention can take a life in an instant! Glad everyone is going to be alright and thank you for sharing.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

jmonte345
08-02-2012, 09:38 PM
Thanks for sharing your story. Hope you and your girlfriend heal up quickly.

rdarabos
08-02-2012, 09:58 PM
i dont know what to say. glad everyone is ok lots of prayers

jmacken37
08-03-2012, 12:42 AM
Speedy recovery and thank you for sharing.

Jake

.40 Cal
08-03-2012, 06:11 AM
Oh man... This really sucks!

I'm glad you two are gonna be fine that's the most important thing; thank God no one else was injured.

I assume your intent when posting this was to educate the forum and hopefully prevent it from happening to someone else.

You have my word that I'll learn from this and be certain to not let this be a post that I make in the future.

God speed brother in arms.. Lesson learned. :salute:

You may want to buy the GF something really nice! :-)

apssbc
08-03-2012, 08:11 AM
Thanks everyone. Yes my point is to give a graphic reminder of what a momentary lapse can do. Stay safe all!

Ive been told diamonds fix everything.

apssbc
08-03-2012, 10:29 AM
Ok I got the gun, and all my items back today. Theres plenty of blood on the gun, apparently I cleared the weapon after the shooting before pd arrived. I cant say I remember doing that but the police report and pics show it cleared. I plan on getting the scene photots on cd along with the 911 call.
http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu198/emmettfire45/235e4d8f.jpg
http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu198/emmettfire45/2d4277cd.jpg
http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu198/emmettfire45/7cd95098.jpg

The round was not a fragment as I was initially told. The jacket seperated from the lead, and it sounds like the lead hit my better half. However the trajectory shows that after it went through me, it was in a downward and away from me direction. Then it turned up and to the left and hit her. The jacket is all bent to hell but it looks like weight retention was good, I dont see any missing hunks or anything.
http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu198/emmettfire45/767b6948.jpg
http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu198/emmettfire45/02070804.jpg
http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu198/emmettfire45/b6a1de13.jpg

DP425
08-03-2012, 02:51 PM
Interesting photos of the bullet- might want to switch to bonded so next time you don't have jacket separation problem... Next time being possible SD encounter that is.

G-lock
08-03-2012, 02:59 PM
Saw this on LF, didn't realize you were a mitten stater.

Your are fortunate that no one was permanently disfigured or damaged.

You handled the whole thing well and it should serve as lesson to all that a moment of inattention can have dire consequences.

As for the girlfriend she is apparently a keeper and it will be grand story to tell the kids.

Pyzik
08-03-2012, 03:18 PM
Whew, thanks for telling the story.
I hope you both recover quickly and completely.

How is she taking the thought of keeping guns around still and/or you carrying?

My wife was somewhat an "anti" when I got with her and it has taken some work to get her as comfortable as she is. I think if I were to have an "oops", she would back slide and I'd have a hard time justifying retaining all/most of my guns.

MSGT
08-03-2012, 03:19 PM
Heal quick and remember WELL!

apssbc
08-03-2012, 03:36 PM
She is actually ok with it still. I even polished her Walter today, cleaned it up real nice, and Polished up the feed ramp. It hasn't changed her views on it at all.

Shoots2much
08-03-2012, 03:43 PM
The important thing to remember is it can happen to any of us.
We become complaisant, we are so accustom to being around firearms we forget
the basics.
I think it's when we do something unusual or outside of our every day "gun routine" that breeds accidents.
For example, I was checking a rifle for a chamber-feeding problem, I used a live round from the same batch that had been giving me trouble, the cell phone rang and I was called away.
When I got home 2 hours latter I saw the chamber flag laying on my bench ( I store my guns with ECI installed) and realized I'd left a live round in a unattended rifle.

Thanks for the post.

Shoots2much
08-03-2012, 04:07 PM
This reminds me another "indecent' where I screwed up.
I'm a range office at a local club, one night we had a rifle shooter who had given himself the worst "scope eye" I'd ever seen. He was bleeding profusely and was unable to collect his rifle and gear before heading to Prime Care for "stitches".

So I went to put his things away and put his rifle in the case for him. The bolt on his rifle was open, I closed the bolt and out of habit "dropped" the hammer.
Unbeknownst to me, he was "single loading" his rifle and had placed a round in the chamber.
Of course the gun fired.
It was pointed down range and still on the sand bags, but still it was a horribly stupid thing to do on my part.
I never thought to actually look deep into the chamber, I gave it a glance and thought good enough.

Since then I look into the chambers and pay close attention to the little details.

Wolvee
08-03-2012, 04:40 PM
And that folks is why I dont carry striker fired pistols.

thatguy423
08-03-2012, 04:44 PM

Generally when you pull the trigger on a loaded weapon they tend to go bang.. Being it was a striker fired gun is a moot point.. It's the whole booger hook/bang switch thing..

shifty_85
08-04-2012, 03:01 AM
wow thats nuts!!!

i never will understand why the new plastic guns you have to pull the trigger apart to get it apart.

my 1911 i put a dummy round in and took it apart. firing pin never droped only thing i could not do was get the barrel and slide to seperate.

tote'ngranny
08-04-2012, 07:02 AM
Why I keep an empty mag handy , or strip it before cleaning, and definitely check the chamber.

kkolodsick
08-04-2012, 08:18 AM
Just curious, how did the gun being striker fired contribute to this?

bagz013
08-04-2012, 08:29 AM
She is actually ok with it still. I even polished her Walter today, cleaned it up real nice, and Polished up the feed ramp. It hasn't changed her views on it at all.

You better marry that girl!!!!

Pyzik
08-04-2012, 08:44 AM
That's great to hear!

Pyzik
08-04-2012, 08:51 AM
wow thats nuts!!!

i never will understand why the new plastic guns you have to pull the trigger apart to get it apart.

my 1911 i put a dummy round in and took it apart. firing pin never droped only thing i could not do was get the barrel and slide to seperate.
I don't care for that either. But with the M&P you don't HAVE to. There is a "lever" inside the mag well just below the chamber. You can move the "lever" down with the slide back and you don't have to pull the trigger.

Page 21 on the PDF below.
http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson2/upload/other/M&P_Pistol_Manual_03-15-2012.pdf

tote'ngranny
08-04-2012, 10:01 AM
I don't care for that either. But with the M&P you don't HAVE to. There is a "lever" inside the mag well just below the chamber. You can move the "lever" down with the slide back and you don't have to pull the trigger.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson2/upload/other/M&P_Pistol_Manual_03-15-2012.pdf
You would be surprised as to how many don't even crack the manual open, let alone read it. Ah .. then maybe not.

sse
08-04-2012, 10:30 AM
always...check...the chamber...

I learned that the hard way, as well, but without injury or property damage, thank God.

Leader
08-04-2012, 10:35 AM
You would be surprised as to how many don't even crack the manual open, let alone read it. Ah .. then maybe not.

You're talking about MEN & GUNS here Granny.... We don't have to. We already KNOW it all....... :)

Manuals are printed for WOMEN.

Wolvee
08-04-2012, 10:44 AM
Generally when you pull the trigger on a loaded weapon they tend to go bang.. Being it was a striker fired gun is a moot point.. It's the whole booger hook/bang switch thing..

It's more about the length of pull than it is about da/sa vs. Striker. The long pull give more room for error if for some reason the trigger is caught on something. Also, like in this poor guys case, you don't need to pull the trigger to disassemble.

I get that Strikers are easier to master but they are also easier to have ND. If I were a gamer or a trainer, I'd want a gun that was easier to learn and shoot. But I'm not, I'm an average joe who caries for defense.

I've carried all the usual suspects and I finally made my way back to DA/SA after hearing story after story of Striker fired pistols and ND's. The people who bang the drum about the superiority of the striker just glaze over any idea that Strikers have more ND's than Da/Sa.

tote'ngranny
08-04-2012, 10:59 AM
I find just the opposite with that loong hard trigger pull. For me it's more room for error as I don't have the hand/finger strength to be as accurate with a striker fired.

mini4m3
08-04-2012, 12:07 PM
Good reason to practice shooting one handed, non-dom hand, and weapon manipulation with those as well.

Wolvee
08-04-2012, 12:07 PM
I find just the opposite with that loong hard trigger pull. For me it's more room for error as I don't have the hand/finger strength to be as accurate with a striker fired.

We've made the exact same statements on this board before. :0) You have a physical handicap that make it better or easier for you to use Striker pistols. You made the decision to give up that extra safety to meet your need for your limitations. Nothing wrong with that. You thought about it, trained with & around it and you get the job done.

If for some reason I ever loose strength or digits, I would have to make the same choice as you. Till then I'll take the extra work of Da/Sa for the benefit of a slightly more safer system.

mini4m3
08-04-2012, 12:43 PM
You made the decision to give up that extra safety margin to meet your need under for your limitations. Nothing wrong with that.

Lol

Wolvee
08-04-2012, 12:44 PM
Lol

Too much coffee.

mini4m3
08-04-2012, 12:56 PM
Too much coffee.
Not enough coffee

springforfield
08-04-2012, 01:44 PM
i did the same exact thing this spring only with a 9 and i hit my wife in the thigh not leg...

and from the pics im glad it was a fmj 9mm and not a jhp 40

hope youve healed well it will take a while to get over it mentally and physically

XDM 40 cal
08-05-2012, 10:30 AM
I'm Glad to see this has a good out come, In a moment of distraction you can/did have a very bad thing happen...

@OP I glad to see you and your better half are healing well...

austin7118
08-05-2012, 08:33 PM
I didn't want to click on this but I'm glad I did....

Speedy recovery to you good sir!!!

...and seriously thanks for sharing ... take 2 for safety!

METL
08-07-2012, 12:40 PM
HOLY CRAP! I'm glad you guys are ok.. Did you say you got hit thru the hand, and thru both legs!? WOW...

This is a reason that I always rack the slide several times.. Hickok45 style when I clear my guns... if you have it cleared and you insert a mag with bullets on accident... then cycle the gun a few times... then you will chamber a round... and on the next slide racks, see rounds start popping out... and realize your mistake.

sse
08-07-2012, 01:16 PM
This is a reason that I always rack the slide several times..
You can rack the slide all you want, but you still need to check the chamber.

METL
08-07-2012, 04:26 PM
You can rack the slide all you want, but you still need to check the chamber.

Well as a general rule I do, but as our OP shows, it only takes one mess up... I just think racking the slide a few times adds an extra layer...

Jeep olllllo
08-08-2012, 08:53 AM
It's more about the length of pull than it is about da/sa vs. Striker. The long pull give more room for error if for some reason the trigger is caught on something. Also, like in this poor guys case, you don't need to pull the trigger to disassemble.

I get that Strikers are easier to master but they are also easier to have ND. If I were a gamer or a trainer, I'd want a gun that was easier to learn and shoot. But I'm not, I'm an average joe who caries for defense.

I've carried all the usual suspects and I finally made my way back to DA/SA after hearing story after story of Striker fired pistols and ND's. The people who bang the drum about the superiority of the striker just glaze over any idea that Strikers have more ND's than Da/Sa.

100% agree with Wolvee on this.

Ol'Coot
08-08-2012, 01:28 PM
Thanks for sharing your story so others may learn from your mistakes. I hope you and your girlfriend heal quickly

ChaneyD
08-08-2012, 03:45 PM
Just curious, how did the gun being striker fired contribute to this?

Simple. It didn't.

apssbc
08-08-2012, 04:34 PM
Thanks everyone. We are doing good just had our stitches removed. I will be back to work on the 14th.

shortbuss
08-08-2012, 04:50 PM
I nd'd through the wall of an old apartment trying to unload. Through the wall, through the adjacent wall, then in supporting lumbar safely and luckily leaving all uninjured. I thank god for that, and i still get a knot in my stomach when i think what could have happened. Kind of really put many things in check for me and i walked away learning much from the situation and what could have been. Heart goes out to you guys, glad it wasn't much worse

Veteran
08-23-2012, 11:15 PM
You are very lucky to have missed your femer. It probably would have shattered. Also your femoral artery. You could have bled out in minutes.

Very nice of you to post this, might wake up some people.

.40 Cal
08-24-2012, 05:01 AM

Yup this is right on...

It's quicker to pull the trigger rather then reach inside the frame and flip the lever and slide the slide off the frame which is why we do this.

Having re-read this again I am now going to be sure I NEVER pull the trigger to remove the slide again. From now on by the book... I guess if I'm in a hurry working on the firearm is not such a good idean anyway eh?

tom-n8ies
08-24-2012, 09:06 PM
Your girlfriend has hairy legs.

ekick
09-21-2012, 09:53 PM
obviously not as bad as a GSW, but fairly painful with a fractured face,

that sounds awful, that might be worse than being shot in the leg

stevenpd
09-22-2012, 05:13 PM
sorry to hear that.

jetttstream
09-22-2012, 05:54 PM
Thanks coming forward with your story, it’s a good reminder about gun safety. I don’t think I could have come forward and discussed this like you have. I don’t care what people say, it takes a lot of courage do that. God Speed for both of you on your recovery.

Yes what he said. I thank you for posting and coming forward you have a lot of courage to share this story with us.

I am hoping for a speedy recovery!

ReverendBimmer
09-25-2012, 03:49 PM
Best reason to keep your booger shovel off the bang switch until you are ready to destroy what you are aiming at.

DTrain
11-08-2012, 11:08 AM

That's how I do it every time! Glad you both are still breathing!

Pocketpower231
11-19-2012, 07:39 PM
A totally preventable "accident" . Glad your both "ok" but you never have ammo in the same room of the gun your servicing. let alone in a magazine on the table next to the gun . Some people really should not own guns without the proper training.

jm0502
11-19-2012, 07:49 PM
A totally preventable "accident" . Glad your both "ok" but you never have ammo in the same room of the gun your servicing. let alone in a magazine on the table next to the gun . Some people really should not own guns without the proper training.
Im all for safety, but thats a bit of a stretch.

Pocketpower231
11-20-2012, 09:59 AM
To each there own, I do NOT have ammo in my service room. I do NOT allow magazines in the service room. There is not one gun I own that requires a magazine in the weapon to disassemble it. I also don't have any accidental discharge stories to tell as a result. A bit of a stretch?:wtf: To ensure the safe handling of my weapons and to make sure I don't shoot myself in the leg ( or my g/f or anyone else) , I'm willing to go the "extra mile", but in my opinion It's not a stretch to follow those rules. In my house it's standard operating procedure. It's lazy to not follow those rules.

shifty_85
11-29-2012, 10:30 AM
To each there own, I do NOT have ammo in my service room. I do NOT allow magazines in the service room. There is not one gun I own that requires a magazine in the weapon to disassemble it. I also don't have any accidental discharge stories to tell as a result. A bit of a stretch?:wtf: To ensure the safe handling of my weapons and to make sure I don't shoot myself in the leg ( or my g/f or anyone else) , I'm willing to go the "extra mile", but in my opinion It's not a stretch to follow those rules. In my house it's standard operating procedure. It's lazy to not follow those rules.

what if the nazi's kick in the door while your cleaning your gun and theres no ammo in the room!!!

just givin you a hard time. only ammo in the basement is reloading stuff not whole bullets. and when i unload a gun i drop the mag clear the slide lock it back. point it toward the light and put my finger in. drop the slide pull the trigger gun = empty.

still love the 1911 design sure its a few more steps but i dont have to pull the trigger to take it apart :) Mr browning knew what he was doing over 100 years ago. :hoppinhappy:

glad to hear you guys are healing up!

bagz013
11-29-2012, 10:51 AM

Well the next time you are teaching a safety class, please let all us lazy idiots here on MGO in your presence ohhhh wise one!

Seriously dude!! You could get your point across without having to be condesending and rude! Took a lot of guts to post the OP's story and fess up to his mistakes. Takes even less guts to cut someone down or act superior......

apssbc
11-30-2012, 02:27 PM

I can assure you that you have no idea how stupid one feels and the guilt that follows an accident like this. However your "some people shouldnt own guns without training" was a little rude. Yes I made a mistke but you know nothing about me or how much training/shooting Ive done.

CPL Holder, Tactical Medic Certified, Hours of training from my bestfriend who happens to be an active duty Army Ranger, ect. For a few years I was shooting 500 rds per month on average. Now due to financial woes its less. I am experienced and you can ask anyone whos shot with me how safe I am to shoot with. A few of whom are members of this forum. If you would like I could provide references before you go bashing me.

Where I failed was that I let it get routine. Ive done it 1000's of times and I violated 3 of the rules of firearm saftey. Many people with much more experience than myself have had ND's. Unfortunatley humans make mistakes, and we have momentary lapses of judgement. Some are worse than others but mistakes happen. Ever cut someone off on the expressway, had an accident, slid into a ditch, cut yourself with a knife?

Im lucky I didnt pay for my mistake with my life, or worse yet hers. This was posted as a public service. Ill take my lashings for the mistake I made. A hole in my leg, and my girlfriends (soon to be fiancee), is a price to pay for using this as a educational public service. If one person thinks to themselves while theyre working on their weapon to double and triple check it because of me, then its a win in my book.

RSF
11-30-2012, 04:55 PM
You know, you show pics of the gun and plan on getting " Mementos" like you are proud of this or something. I don't want to see anyone get hurt and I really am glad that both of you are going to be OK, but you should always remember what an ... Good Luck.

WOWZER69 Im not much of a coddler type so ill do best to be sensitive about this its a learning lesson for all and a reminder

edited quote to clean up personal attack

wowzer69
11-30-2012, 05:45 PM
I'm just wondering if you would feel the same way, if your daughter or son was standing next to this Highly Trained, Weapons Expert, Medical Knowledgeable. individual. NO ATTACK intended.

apssbc
11-30-2012, 06:01 PM
It does come off as an attack. If you think I did this because I want recognition your dead wrong. I did this because I want to remind others to be safe by showing them a first hand account of what happens if your not. Call them momentos if you want I call them sobering reminders to never let it happen again. I'm highly trained in medical that's for sure. As for firearms I'm not highly trained but I have training and experience. Also I never called myself in expert.

I'm not proud of this incident. However I'm very proud of how her and I handled it and how we are using the experience to let others know to be safe and to build our relationship.

You could ask her father if you want...he's a member here. I hunted with him with a gun yesterday. He trusts me and was cool enough to be calm and understand when I called him from the ambulance on the way to the hospital.

RayMich
11-30-2012, 06:02 PM
I'm just wondering if you would feel the same way, if your daughter or son was standing next to this Highly Trained, Weapons Expert, Medical Knowledgeable. individual. NO ATTACK intended.
Yeap! Just what we need, some self righteous individual who obviously has never made a mistake or screwed up in his entire life, preaching to us about the unforgivable evil of ever making a mistake.

FYI - The OP was not obligated to tell us about his mistake. But he did it as a public service to remind us all that we must always be ultra vigilant when handling a firearm. Familiarity can lead to a lapse in attention and judgement and bad things can happen to anyone, even to such all knowing and super safe gun owners as you pretend to be.

apssbc, thank you for posting about you incident and reminding us that we must always be ultra vigilant and cannot take anything for granted.

RSF
11-30-2012, 07:32 PM

Easily no problem at all

wowzer69
11-30-2012, 11:40 PM
Oh. You just shot my daughter and yourself. Thats ok you made a mistake hey who hasen;t . I am proud of you for rendering first aid.. See you at the hospital. Ya right. Give me a break. You guys jump all over someone at a gun store or show when they sweep you or point a gun at someone . Yet this is just a mistake. Sure my butt.

apssbc
12-01-2012, 12:31 AM
Well wonder if you would like to ask him how he feels about it pm me and I'll let you get in touch with him. He called it a mistake and has reassured me multiple times that he know he trusts me. Im sure he was scared and aggravated but he knows me, has shot with me and knows I'd do anything for his daughter. Yes he did express that he was happy with how we handled it. Like I said Im sure I could put you in contact with multiple character references from this forum.

It was a mistake, I messed up. I am taking it as a learning experience and moving on. Didnt do it on purpose or to see how cool it would be, cause let me tell you it sucks. Then you find yourself arguing with people when it dosent matter what they think. Have you ever made a mistake?
:bowdown:
With that I'm done arguing. If there is positive posts or learning to occur we will keep the posts to that. No need to derail this thread over some people who are butthurt for some reason. If you would like to continue arguing we can go to pm and keep the thread intact and use it for what it was intended (which was not personal recognition, nor anything to be proud of).

customrace45acp
12-01-2012, 05:56 AM
Glad to see both are ok.

Thanks for posting. It's an eye opener and reminder for all of us.

.40 Cal
12-01-2012, 06:39 AM
Well wonder if you would like to ask him how he feels about it pm me and I'll let you get in touch with him. He called it a mistake and has reassured me multiple times that he know he trusts me. Im sure he was scared and aggravated but he knows me, has shot with me and knows I'd do anything for his daughter. Yes he did express that he was happy with how we handled it. Like I said Im sure I could put you in contact with multiple character references from this forum.

It was a mistake, I messed up. I am taking it as a learning experience and moving on. Didnt do it on purpose or to see how cool it would be, cause let me tell you it sucks. Then you find yourself arguing with people when it dosent matter what they think. Have you ever made a mistake?
:bowdown:
With that I'm done arguing. If there is positive posts or learning to occur we will keep the posts to that. No need to derail this thread over some people who are butthurt for some reason. If you would like to continue arguing we can go to pm and keep the thread intact and use it for what it was intended (which was not personal recognition, nor anything to be proud of).

Apssbc don't sweat it... Opinions are like farts.. Everyone let's one loose and they usually stink...

I'm truly sorry this happened to you; and I can't imagine nor do I want to how I'd feel about hearing "That scream" you described and how it haunted you; and perhaps still does.

Thanks for posting a reminder to us all that this can happen to anyone! Glad you both are OK.

apssbc
12-01-2012, 06:37 PM
Thanks .40. I know why I did it, how it happened, and how people responded. I don't care what anyone thinks for I, myself, and others on this board know the reason why.

Yes the scream still haunts and wakes me up from dreams on occasion. No worries Ill pull through.

Like I said no more arguing this is meant for education and I will ignore all attempts to derail and attack myself. Thanks MGO, and my fellow members for supporting me even in stupidity.

jeremy_p
12-10-2012, 12:00 PM
apssbc, thanks for sharing dude. This is an ever constant reminder that safety is between the ears and not the hands. I certainly don't mean any insult to you, I've hand my close calls that thankfully haven't resulted in NDs.

GORDON SHUMWAY
12-15-2012, 02:57 PM
My bud told me about this some time back. Glad everyone turned out okay. A little gross though...

rk1983
12-16-2012, 12:42 PM
Round went through my hand as I was taking the slide off, then through my right inner thigh and out the left thigh.

From your pictures, it looks like your left hand. So the round went through your left hand into your right inner thigh and out your left thigh? That sounds like quite the magic bullet.

apssbc
12-16-2012, 01:36 PM
It graazed my left palm. Entered my left thigh and out the other side. Then the lead core seperated and went just under the skin on the girlfriends inner right shin. I had the gun in my right hand facing the left side of the body. I had my left hand over top of the slide to remove it, this my palm fat got gouged out.