PDA

View Full Version : planning salmon fishing trip in next couple weeks

stevie-f
08-09-2012, 07:16 PM
I need some help, please. My grandpa gave my brother his boat (which was previously our dad's boat) and all of his salmon fishing gear. Downriggers, lures, rods, the whole 9 yards. We've gone salmon fishing before, but never really set the lines on our own. I think its pretty simple, just put the line in the water and attach the cannon ball and set the depth on the downrigger? Also, will the line on the reels need to be replaced if they have been sitting and unused for a while? That's all I can really think of right now..

We are going to head up to Ludington. Can anyone recommend a campground? Its only going to be a Fri/Sat/Sun thing. Hopefully everything comes together in time and I can manage to book a site as I'm sure they're already booked. I would greatly appreciate any advice you may have.

TomE
08-09-2012, 07:31 PM
Ludington State Park.

stevie-f
08-09-2012, 08:10 PM
thanks. just tried to reserve a site online looks like they are booked.

Smokepole
08-10-2012, 07:02 AM
The Frankfort/Manistee area tends to be a hot spot for the Kings.

TomE
08-10-2012, 07:24 AM
Chuck Mears State Park is full also, just to the south. The Fish are biting I'm told.

stevie-f
08-10-2012, 08:42 AM
Thanks guys. I fished in Manistee a couple times I may consider going up there. We are total amateurs here so I'd be happy if we land just one fish. We have two downriggers at our disposal. Trying to figure out the best way to get the most lines in the water. May try setting up a rod or two with leadcore. If I can get my redneck uncle to drive up from Kentucky we'll be just fine since he's a fish catching machine. Free salmon fishing and meat for him should hopefully do the trick.

TomE
08-10-2012, 08:46 AM
Dipsey divers set on the outside on long rods will get a couple more lines in the water

Smokepole
08-10-2012, 08:55 AM
Stop in at some of the better bait and tackle shops in the area you intend to fish.These guys hear the cross chatter of the charter captains who tend to be rather cliquish with whom they share their inside information.

One method to maximize your efforts is to double stack your lines on each downrigger, and then run planer boards, or otter boats with deep divers for any near top water action.

I believe you can run three lines per licensed fisherman on the Great Lakes.

Once you get a hit on any of the lines, adjust both your riggings and depth, to the line that got the hit.

Just under 2 mph is about right.

And, good luck!

TomE
08-10-2012, 09:11 AM
And you need a chart for the spoons so you'll know what a "Michael Jackson" is or what the "racial terms in a clown suit" is, which is the chatter you'll hear on the boat radio. A lot of guys have gone to cell phones though. ETA the forum that myself and the above poster are boycotting has lots of info on fishing for the salmonoids , not that I'm saying to go there.

Smokepole
08-10-2012, 09:44 AM
And you need a chart for the spoons so you'll know what a "Michael Jackson" is or what the "racial terms in a clown suit" is, which is the chatter you'll hear on the boat radio. A lot of guys have gone to cell phones though. ETA the forum that myself and the above poster are boycotting has lots of info on fishing for the salmonoids , not that I'm saying to go there.

:tsk:

:rofl:

rustyreel
08-10-2012, 12:23 PM
try kibby creek camp ground. i have been fishing ludington for 30 years. kibby creek is fishermen friendly. if i can be of any help i am on lot 34 in the new section. took 7 last night betwwen 6 and 9 pm also lost a few.

Hockey9019
08-10-2012, 02:01 PM
Its very hot. Especially out of Manistee ;)

I'll be at Tippy area first week of October

24ever
08-10-2012, 05:41 PM
Stop in at some of the better bait and tackle shops in the area you intend to fish.These guys hear the cross chatter of the charter captains who tend to be rather cliquish with whom they share their inside information.

One method to maximize your efforts is to double stack your lines on each downrigger, and then run planer boards, or otter boats with deep divers for any near top water action.

I believe you can run three lines per licensed fisherman on the Great Lakes.

Once you get a hit on any of the lines, adjust both your riggings and depth, to the line that got the hit.

Just under 2 mph is about right.

And, good luck!

Great advice!

stevie-f
08-10-2012, 05:51 PM
try kibby creek camp ground. i have been fishing ludington for 30 years. kibby creek is fishermen friendly. if i can be of any help i am on lot 34 in the new section. took 7 last night betwwen 6 and 9 pm also lost a few.

that is exactly where I booked our site! I'll be calling you this weekend.

nate132004
08-14-2012, 01:48 AM
It's been awhile but get some " sliders" ? You clip them on to your lines and they stay suspended away from your main spoon but also add another spoon to the water off of the same down rigger. Michael Jackson was always a hot one for us.

stevie-f
08-14-2012, 09:57 AM
It's been awhile but get some " sliders" ? You clip them on to your lines and they stay suspended away from your main spoon but also add another spoon to the water off of the same down rigger. Michael Jackson was always a hot one for us.

I talked to rustyreel yesterday and this is one of his suggestions I will be trying. Thank you for the advice on the spoon! I just ran a quick search is it the same one made by "Dreamweaver"?

I will be running two downriggers with one line on each and with a slider on each if I can figure out how to do it. 2 lead core line's with planer boards, not sure how many colors I want to run on the leadcore may just wait and see what the fishing is like next week before I rig up the reels. Then 2 lines with dipsy's and flashers. How does that all sound?

UNREEL
08-14-2012, 10:39 PM
In a nutshell- book a charter. You will learn more in those 6hrs (usually less if you box out) than you ever will reading about it. I promise you, going out there realatively clueless (no offense) will lead to confusion, anger, fights, and loss of gear, time, and money. You will learn speed, presentation, times that certain baits work and where to run them. If the advice above is out of the question than I recommend this:

Riggers- glows in the morning/evening and oranges, blues, and yellows in the sun. Mag spoons or j-plugs 30-60 behind the ball. 6' free sliders with a standard or mini spoon.

Divers- on a 3 setting, spin doctor or other flasher 6-8' behind diver, and a fly 18-24" behind flasher.

Inline Boards- full core lead (10 color) with a mag spoon or j-plug.

As for what colors will work, everything changes day to day, hour to hour, but there are a hanfull of baits that always catch fish. Go to the local tackle store and buy exactly what the recommend. Also, make sure you spool up with fresh line. 20# Big Game is a good place to start. Do not go cheap. If the drags on your reels are shot, buy new ones. Quality ball bearing swivels on everything. Get a file to sharpen hooks. New baits fresh out of the package are not sharp. Sharp hooks catch fish.

A good speed to start is 2.5- 2.7. As the water warms up bump it up a few. Find temp breaks, scum lines, and baitfish. A good chartplotter/gps and sonar unit is a must. There are many, many variables but those are the basics. Be ready to spend some money.

And, as far as the above mentioned "boycotted site", don't bother checking there. Most are clueless anyway. The ones that aren't aint gonna tell you squat.

Made_in_Michigan
08-14-2012, 11:18 PM
Something from your post that no one has touched on. If the line is more than 4 or 5 years old, I would replace it, (but it may not be bad) Pull out 25 yards or so and run it between your fingers. If you feel rough or thin spots from being wound for too long, replace it. If it has been stored outside exposed to the sun, replace it.

Make sure ship to shore radio works before leaving port. The great lakes are an unforgiving mistress :)

stevie-f
08-15-2012, 04:15 AM
In a nutshell- book a charter. You will learn more in those 6hrs (usually less if you box out) than you ever will reading about it. I promise you, going out there realatively clueless (no offense) will lead to confusion, anger, fights, and loss of gear, time, and money. You will learn speed, presentation, times that certain baits work and where to run them. If the advice above is out of the question than I recommend this:

Riggers- glows in the morning/evening and oranges, blues, and yellows in the sun. Mag spoons or j-plugs 30-60 behind the ball. 6' free sliders with a standard or mini spoon.

Divers- on a 3 setting, spin doctor or other flasher 6-8' behind diver, and a fly 18-24" behind flasher.

Inline Boards- full core lead (10 color) with a mag spoon or j-plug.

As for what colors will work, everything changes day to day, hour to hour, but there are a hanfull of baits that always catch fish. Go to the local tackle store and buy exactly what the recommend. Also, make sure you spool up with fresh line. 20# Big Game is a good place to start. Do not go cheap. If the drags on your reels are shot, buy new ones. Quality ball bearing swivels on everything. Get a file to sharpen hooks. New baits fresh out of the package are not sharp. Sharp hooks catch fish.

A good speed to start is 2.5- 2.7. As the water warms up bump it up a few. Find temp breaks, scum lines, and baitfish. A good chartplotter/gps and sonar unit is a must. There are many, many variables but those are the basics. Be ready to spend some money.

And, as far as the above mentioned "boycotted site", don't bother checking there. Most are clueless anyway. The ones that aren't aint gonna tell you squat.

Thank you. I would book a charter as that would be 10x easier but we have a boat and most of the equipment so we may as well learn how to use it. Our costs are going to be split between 4 people. I think it would be more rewarding to learn how to set lines and hopefully catch some fish on our own versus paying a charter to let us reel them in. I have confidence that we will catch some fish.

UNREEL
08-15-2012, 08:28 AM
Thank you. I would book a charter as that would be 10x easier but we have a boat and most of the equipment so we may as well learn how to use it. Our costs are going to be split between 4 people. I think it would be more rewarding to learn how to set lines and hopefully catch some fish on our own versus paying a charter to let us reel them in. I have confidence that we will catch some fish.
I'm not telling you to book a charter just to reel in fish, book the charter si you can learn. That is the best way to learn how to use your equipment. A 4 guy split on a $600 charter is cheap compared to lost tackle, wasted fuel, time off work, etc. You will not learn this stuff on your first trip. Trial and error if fine fishing an inland lake, but on the big water you kinda need to have a clue.

TomE
08-15-2012, 08:46 AM
Or just go with rustyreel, or a local.

Just because someone doesn't have a Tiara, doesn't mean they don't know how to fish.

Heck some of us even know how to wax our own boats.

nate132004
08-15-2012, 01:06 PM
This is the one we had luck on. But we fished harbor springs, petoskey, st. Ignace,and mackinaw island back when my grandpa had his boat and there was still good numbers of fish up here.

magnum michael jackson spoon
http://www.gloutdoorstore.com/browseproducts/Magnum-Michael-Jackson-Silver-Streak-Spoon.HTML

TomE
08-15-2012, 03:56 PM
This is the one we had luck on. But we fished harbor springs, petoskey, st. Ignace,and mackinaw island back when my grandpa had his boat and there was still good numbers of fish up here.

magnum michael jackson spoon
http://www.gloutdoorstore.com/browseproducts/Magnum-Michael-Jackson-Silver-Streak-Spoon.HTML

Why is it purple, black and white with red eye?:idea:

nate132004
08-19-2012, 10:43 PM
Why is it purple, black and white with red eye?:idea:

They call it MJ cuz Its half black and half white.

TomE
08-20-2012, 08:48 AM
I thought the white was for his glove, and the purple was because he was a little "OFF" and liked little boys.

rustyreel
08-20-2012, 11:47 PM
havent fished a m.j since the late 80's . was a great lk. trout lure with a chrome dodger. best thing in the water now is a meat rig.

Skinner 2
08-21-2012, 11:29 AM

Ummm just so I can help you guy's boycott the ETA...what?where is it?

Skinner

TomE
08-21-2012, 11:59 AM
Ummm just so I can help you guy's boycott the ETA...what?where is it?

Skinner
http://www.michigan-sportsman.com

I last visited 5/10/12, I clicked a link and it logged me on auto like. I had forgot my password.

Now thanks to you, Mr. Smokepole will be not so understanding since I'm no longer a boycotte

stevie-f
08-21-2012, 04:55 PM
I decided to not get the Michael Jackson colored spoon but maybe I'll get one when I get to Ludington if they're hot. I still have to rig up some leadcore lines and get a couple planer boards for them. Other than that I think I'm all set to catch some fish this weekend! Weather looks great so far. Many thanks to rustyreel for all his advice and everyone else that has contributed. I'll post pictures if we catch anything!

Quack Addict
08-21-2012, 05:33 PM
The guys that said to take a charter or jump on someone else's boat hit the nail on the head. If you have all the gear you say, that one trip with someone else will shorten your learning curve considerably.

Start with a simple spread, like downriggers and 1 Dipsy per side. Stay away from leadcore and copper until you have a feel for how to turn the boat with lines out, how to fight fish between a bunch of lines down and steel cable behind the boat.

Stay away from other boats. Some guys are running long lines and if you cut 50 yards behind someone, you just cut off half their lines. 10 colors of lead trails the boat 400+ feet when you consider length of leader, core itself, llength of backing deployed, etc. I put another boat out of commission last year when he ran over some of my crap crossing too close. The line got wrapped in his prop and locked it up tight as a drum. Passed him in the harbor later that morning as he was limping in on his kicker. He was nice enough to give me my Jplug back. I know of a guy fishing out of South Haven that sunk his boat last month when they got their own lines tangled up in their prop. Lost power, took a wave over the stern, here's your prize...

Get out early. I have been launching between 4:30 and 5am in the mornings and we have been hooking fish as we set lines. Last Saturday morning with 4 guys on my boat, it took us about 2 hours before we got all of our rods set.

Beware the stupid people. The once-a-year combat fishing flotilla is coming out in force and that means people out in the dark that don't have ANY lights on, people that don't know how to drive, just plain fools, etc. It's usually a bit foggy on the water in the morning this time of year. Windshield is difficult to see through due to condensation, etc.

Meat rigs do work but again, I wouldn't recommend for a first time out. Last weekend we put 20 salmon in my boat. Only 2 or 3 came on meat but it was good for us earlier in the year. Only 3 on flashers/flies last weekend. 0 on Jplugs. The balance (14 or 15) came on clean spoons off riggers and leadcore.

I'd put 1 clean spoon out on every downrigger you have. I always put a good lead between the lure and the release. We use to get by with a stretch as short as 4' back when the water wasn't so clear, now I set spoons back about 40' even when sending the rigger 100' down. Put a flasher & fly out on one Dipsy, put a Jplug on the other.

I'm often looking for riders and don't mind showing people what I know but I'll be pulling my boat home in a couple weeks and have crew for the next 2 weekends already. If you're still looking for help next season, get in touch.

stevie-f
08-21-2012, 06:53 PM
The guys that said to take a charter or jump on someone else's boat hit the nail on the head. If you have all the gear you say, that one trip with someone else will shorten your learning curve considerably.

Start with a simple spread, like downriggers and 1 Dipsy per side. Stay away from leadcore and copper until you have a feel for how to turn the boat with lines out, how to fight fish between a bunch of lines down and steel cable behind the boat.

Stay away from other boats. Some guys are running long lines and if you cut 50 yards behind someone, you just cut off half their lines. 10 colors of lead trails the boat 400+ feet when you consider length of leader, core itself, llength of backing deployed, etc. I put another boat out of commission last year when he ran over some of my crap crossing too close. The line got wrapped in his prop and locked it up tight as a drum. Passed him in the harbor later that morning as he was limping in on his kicker. He was nice enough to give me my Jplug back. I know of a guy fishing out of South Haven that sunk his boat last month when they got their own lines tangled up in their prop. Lost power, took a wave over the stern, here's your prize...

Get out early. I have been launching between 4:30 and 5am in the mornings and we have been hooking fish as we set lines. Last Saturday morning with 4 guys on my boat, it took us about 2 hours before we got all of our rods set.

Beware the stupid people. The once-a-year combat fishing flotilla is coming out in force and that means people out in the dark that don't have ANY lights on, people that don't know how to drive, just plain fools, etc. It's usually a bit foggy on the water in the morning this time of year. Windshield is difficult to see through due to condensation, etc.

Meat rigs do work but again, I wouldn't recommend for a first time out. Last weekend we put 20 salmon in my boat. Only 2 or 3 came on meat but it was good for us earlier in the year. Only 3 on flashers/flies last weekend. 0 on Jplugs. The balance (14 or 15) came on clean spoons off riggers and leadcore.

I'd put 1 clean spoon out on every downrigger you have. I always put a good lead between the lure and the release. We use to get by with a stretch as short as 4' back when the water wasn't so clear, now I set spoons back about 40' even when sending the rigger 100' down. Put a flasher & fly out on one Dipsy, put a Jplug on the other.

I'm often looking for riders and don't mind showing people what I know but I'll be pulling my boat home in a couple weeks and have crew for the next 2 weekends already. If you're still looking for help next season, get in touch.

thanks for that post. I'd love to get out and learn for sure. This is the only time I've been out in almost 2 years I think. I'd do the charter thing but we've already committed to using our own boat and equipment plus I think we'll be fine with what we're using. I may not mess with the leadcore because when I've fished before we caught plenty without it. I'm hoping rustyreel is up there this weekend to show me some stuff.