PDA

View Full Version : Can people confirm or clarify

shortbuss
08-10-2012, 04:12 PM
I talked to a credible suppressor dealer in mi. Yes you've heard of them, no I don't want to say until its been verified or not. But here we go.

Has anyone successfully gotten a form 4 signature off of a document stating the CLEO will NOT approve it?

I was told, if you call and ask, they'll deny. If you email, they'll email back a denial. If you snail mail, they'll Snail it back to you on official county letter head,

Dear *****

we regret to tell you blah blah blah

Signed

Joe Schmo

*Insert computer generated generic sig here*

Ive been told this will fly as a signature, even though they are signing it as a denial. The thought process behind it is its on letterhead from CLEO, and has his signature. Federal overrides state, feds see official letterhead and a signature, the words between the two don't matter.

Im just asking for clarification, as it might give some hope to us living in no go counties but don't want to wrap up a grand finding out for myself, so if anyones done it this way or know someone doing it this way, let me know.

I either want a serbu ss remington 870 16" 12 ga "pistol" or a silencerco osprey, and really don't want to tie that much money up to wait to see a denial from feds and finding out the gun store was wrong.

maustin195
08-10-2012, 04:43 PM
Have a trust drawn up and skip the local approval.

jts_01
08-10-2012, 06:15 PM
I talked to a credible suppressor dealer in mi. Yes you've heard of them, no I don't want to say until its been verified or not. But here we go.

Has anyone successfully gotten a form 4 signature off of a document stating the CLEO will NOT approve it?

I was told, if you call and ask, they'll deny. If you email, they'll email back a denial. If you snail mail, they'll Snail it back to you on official county letter head,

Dear *****

Signed

Joe Schmo

Ive been told this will fly as a signature, even though they are signing it as a denial. The thought process behind it is its on letterhead from CLEO, and has his signature. Federal overrides state, feds see official letterhead and a signature, the words between the two don't matter.

Im just asking for clarification, as it might give some hope to us living in no go counties but don't want to wrap up a grand finding out for myself, so if anyones done it this way or know someone doing it this way, let me know.

I either want a serbu ss remington 870 16" 12 ga "pistol" or a silencerco osprey, and really don't want to tie that much money up to wait to see a denial from feds and finding out the gun store was wrong.

I have never heard of anything like this personally. The signature has to be on the form 4 itself not on some letter head...

TomE
08-10-2012, 06:23 PM
I didn't ride the shortbus, and I have some oceanfront property in Arizona I'll let you have cheap.

rexzor2007
08-10-2012, 06:33 PM
Unfortunately this may be your best option, until the gubmint decides they no longer care for that signature. It would be nice if they could do away with this nonsense regarding silencers. My CLEO had doubts too, but after consenting to a background check, which as a gun owner has been a way of life, he agreed to sign the form 4. There are benefits to going the trust route. Almost more than the "Individual." I personally have no experience with getting a trust drawn up, but there are many members of this site that I'm sure would be glad to help. Good Luck!

shortbuss
08-10-2012, 06:33 PM
I do ride the "short buss." Its a 09 suzuki hayabusa lowered and lengthened with a stage 2 velocity turbo kit. 300whp @ 160 ft lbs, its crazy = "short buss"

As with the papers, thats what i was told, and insisted it worked. I didn't really buy it, although I wanted to it just seemed a bit easy. But if it was a known loophole I preferred know about it now versus after spending 4-500 bucks on a gun trust drawn up.

If you told me you had a time share at laguna seca, then we'd be talking...

shortbuss
08-10-2012, 06:38 PM
I wish, im in grand rapids. Im screwed. I was in ottawa which i had a sit down with CLEO and his one down, us 3, scared the hell out of me. Had a hour sit down about signing on a serbu ss, by the end of the conversation and presenting my case he said he needed time to sort through all of the info. I received a call a week later saying if it wasn't the first time he had been approached on it he would likely sign off on it, but was very apprehensive even knowing it was totally legal, he said he was more comfortable with me pursuing a trust or corporation as it wouldn't fall back on him if something happened.

I guess time to research good trust lawyers

TomE
08-11-2012, 07:01 AM
I do ride the "short buss." Its a 09 suzuki hayabusa lowered and lengthened with a stage 2 velocity turbo kit. 300whp @ 160 ft lbs, its crazy = "short buss"

As with the papers, thats what i was told, and insisted it worked. I didn't really buy it, although I wanted to it just seemed a bit easy. But if it was a known loophole I preferred know about it now versus after spending 4-500 bucks on a gun trust drawn up.

If you told me you had a time share at laguna seca, then we'd be talking... Is it yellow and black with flashing lights?

cwo4uscgret
08-11-2012, 09:18 AM

If you told me you had a time share at laguna seca, then we'd be talking...

thread drift but after a hot lap in a Saleen Cobra at Laguna Seca I can tell you that "Corkscrew" is a heck of a series of turns; you can't even see them over the hood of the car until you are in it....I've also done laps at Mid-Ohio on my Beemer.

shotpoint
08-11-2012, 10:42 AM
I wasn't quite sure how this worked but this is an attorney that handles this and it was educational. He also has a PDF that can be found through a search that compares the trust, LLC, etc.

http://www.guntrustlawyer.com/2009/03/how-to-explain-a-gun-trust-to.html

ColonelKurtz
08-11-2012, 10:49 AM
in a dream world, maybe

that sounds like some sort of fraud

I'd find a new dealer

shortbuss
08-11-2012, 03:06 PM
With that being said, it wasn't the owner, but he told me this has worked and it just threw me off. Kind of what I thought on it. Got the ball rolling on a trust now

Shyster
08-11-2012, 07:19 PM
I guess time to research good trust lawyers
Ahem...

See link on my sig line

shortbuss
08-11-2012, 10:54 PM
shyster, ill keep it in consideration... but ive got a friend who said a hundred bucks and he will call it done. If it takes him some time to light a fire under his ass ill get in touch with you in a few weeks

Tango125INF11b
08-12-2012, 12:13 AM

Dear *****

Signed

Joe Schmo

The guys at Sheridan Arms in Saginaw told me this exact same thing. It wasn't the owner, it was a guy named Matt.

shortbuss
08-12-2012, 09:53 AM
I dont want to confirm or deny anything but id like to place a friendly call in just to give them a heads up about misinformation. Nothing personal, but if i didnt post up here, and was a little more ignorant as to cross referencing, i would have ben s.o.l. taking the word of them. If you sell it, you should know the processes, and if its been done, at least someone would have known this was a legitimate valid loop hole vs signing the actual form 4

IndustrialRescue
08-12-2012, 10:34 AM
I have never heard of anything like this personally. The signature has to be on the form 4 itself not on some letter head...

That. Form a trust, then go wave it in the CLEO's face, chanting NANANANANA!

My sheriff LOVES the idea of silencers being legal. He is, however, retiring. So I talked to all the candidates for sheriff, and told them "I would appreciate your support for the firearms community, and your signature, if needed. But if you won't sign, I will form a trust, and completely bypass you."

They all CLAIMED to be willing to sign. Of course, it IS an election year.

You get to skip the background check, too.