PDA

View Full Version : Vanguard 2 arrived!

garrykolb
08-15-2012, 08:38 PM
So, my Raven Vanguard 2 arrived today. (http://www.ravenconcealment.com/holsters/vanguard-holster-systems/vanguard-2-holster-full-kit) Fits like a glove on all my Glock 9mm & 45 models. Slipped it on with my Glock 21 and it seems surprisingly comfortable. I have yet to try it with the 30 or 36. Never in a million years would I consider strapping on something as big as a 21 for concealed carry, but with the Vanguard 2, it seems possible.

More to come once I get out and about, but the initial impression is that this will be awesome.

garrykolb
08-21-2012, 06:32 PM
Been out & about with the Vanguard 2 a couple times now - both times with the Glock 30 onboard. Comfortable, easy on/off. I do have to acree with scrapinby - I would not want to re-holster with it on, so if you draw, I would take it off, re-holster, and put it back on.

So far, so good. Thinking about trying it with the G21 - just to see if I could. Seems highly possible.

PaulB84
08-22-2012, 01:36 PM
Been out & about with the Vanguard 2 a couple times now - both times with the Glock 30 onboard. Comfortable, easy on/off. I do have to acree with scrapinby - I would not want to re-holster with it on, so if you draw, I would take it off, re-holster, and put it back on.

So far, so good. Thinking about trying it with the G21 - just to see if I could. Seems highly possible.

From Raven's website http://www.ravenconcealment.com/holsters/vanguard-holster-systems/vanguard-2-holster-full-kit

"Please be aware, we do not advise attempting to re-holster the weapon while the VG2 is inside your clothing. You should remove the VG2 and install it on the weapon outside of your waistband."

garrykolb
08-22-2012, 08:48 PM
From Raven's website http://www.ravenconcealment.com/holsters/vanguard-holster-systems/vanguard-2-holster-full-kit

"Please be aware, we do not advise attempting to re-holster the weapon while the VG2 is inside your clothing. You should remove the VG2 and install it on the weapon outside of your waistband."

Uh...yeah - that's what I do.

Brad55102
08-23-2012, 10:05 AM
ive been out with my vg2 and G26 about 3 times. starting to gain confidence in it. seems like a pretty good product.

Jared1981
08-25-2012, 12:16 AM
Simply an awesome device. I just saw one earlier today and I loved it. I need to get one for my G29.

gjgalligan
08-25-2012, 06:52 AM

I have read & heard from many experts that you should only use holsters that allow for one hand reholstering.
It would seem that the Raven product is counter to what many experts recommend.

RCSMichael
08-25-2012, 09:07 PM
I have read & heard from many experts that you should only use holsters that allow for one hand reholstering.
It would seem that the Raven product is counter to what many experts recommend.

Typically, the advice from experts regarding only using holsters that allow for one-handed reholstering is in reference to soft-bodied holsters which collapse when the gun is drawn. If you have to use your other hand to open the mouth of the holster while you reholster, it means that you are placing your hand in the path of the muzzle (which obviously violates one of the firearms safety rules).

The VanGuard 2 is a different situation; your hand never passes in front of the muzzle while you re-attach the holster to the trigger guard of the weapon.

Given the large number of respected instructors and firearms professionals that were consulted during the development and testing of this product, I can assure you that the VanGuard 2 does not operate counter to their TTP's.

gjgalligan
08-26-2012, 07:31 AM
Some of the comments I recall was if your other hand is injured or busy holding something, a child, flashlight , ect.

I will admit I am not an expert but if I get in a situation where I have to draw my firearm and the threat leaves I sure don't want to have to remove the holster from my pants to reholster. I might want the gun out of sight asap.
Doesn't make sense to me.

To each their own. I'll pass on it.

garrykolb
08-26-2012, 08:12 PM
Yesterday, I decided to really try out the device and carried my G21. Seriously, I was easily able to conceal a full-frame Glock 21 without issue. Comfort was good - the biggest issue was 14 rounds of Mac Razorback hollow point ammo and the gun itself was a bit heavy.

Very impressed with the Vanguard 2. I have read the other comments about reholstering, and I understand, but for what it is, I think it is a great product.

scrapinby
08-30-2012, 08:31 PM
I just picked up a Glock 26. I have to say Glock 26+VG2=What gun?

The reholstering thing is such a small inconvenience. If I'm involved in some kind of shooting, reholstering is going to be the least of my concerns.

garrykolb
08-31-2012, 05:53 PM
If I'm involved in some kind of shooting, reholstering is going to be the least of my concerns.

Exactly Mike!

StoneyBones
08-31-2012, 06:46 PM

garrykolb
09-03-2012, 09:26 PM
hows it feel while driving around with the full size? dig into your leg or gut? can you still draw easily in a seated position?

No issues while driving. I wear at 3-4 o'clock, so the draw is an issue, regardless of the type of holster. I was really pleasantly surprised how well it worked with the G21. That still won't be my primary carry - the G30 is more comfortable due to both the length and weight.

117thRifleman
09-13-2012, 12:28 PM
Awesome I will have to look into one for my glock

scrapinby
09-16-2012, 05:38 PM
OK, so I have a suggestion for a small improvement. The forward/top edge of the VG2 sticks out on subcompacts. It snags on things (namely my undershirt or underwear when dropping my pants). It would be improved if that corner was rounded off. It's not a big deal, but I also don't think it would be a big deal to improve the next model (though I certainly could be wrong).

Here's what I'm talking about.
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c316/scrapinby/023.jpg

Totally a non issue on compacts
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c316/scrapinby/025.jpg

JDG
09-22-2012, 08:50 AM
First time i went with crown (satisfied).

If satisfied, why look eleswhere?

But really, "have a great day" is a very nice thing to say....:hick:

TangoDown3727
09-24-2012, 08:27 PM

The Vanguard 2 was not designed for 'reholstering'. You have to take it off to re-attach it to the trigger guard of the pistol. Trying to reholster while wearing it is a recipe for an accident. The idea and theory behind that holster is the concealability and quick draw access to the pistol and, make no mistake, it excells at that.

Here's what one of the best trainers of our time had to say about it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fuo-EjlJWpk&feature=plcp

good luck and enjoy!

badmax18
09-24-2012, 08:38 PM
Will be ordering one this week.

zigziggityzoo
09-25-2012, 02:02 PM
No personal attacks.

Keep this thread on topic.

If you'd like to make a review of Raven Concealment Systems, LLC, please start a new thread.

Consider this your warning.

jthomps348176
10-10-2012, 06:54 AM
While I'm not able to carry daily, I've been using the VG2 more and more with my G23 and I have to say I love it. If you are going to appendix carry, this is the way to go. Conceals very well, doesn't bother me when driving and it's extremely easy to take on and off. I will say, however, it took my a little while to get used to having a gun right next to my junk... :hick: