PDA

View Full Version : Lockers for long guns?

Denistonzp
08-15-2012, 11:02 PM
So the wife says I can't get any long guns until I get a safe/storage container. However, she won't let me buy a safe because we don't have the money. What can I do to "safely store" a long gun or two in a container, where my son can't get at it. Specifically, it would be for a .22 and eventually a 20'' shotgun. Could I use an old school locker and just put a lock on it or...? Need some suggestions! Thanks!
-Zach:upto:

red442joe
08-15-2012, 11:14 PM
Anything you can use to secure your guns is better than stashing them.
Long ago I would hide them in the back of a closet, buried under and behind stuff.
I realized they could get stolen if some one just dug them out.
When I was a kid I could get into anything my parents tried to hide...unless it was actually locked.
An old school locker that can use a padlock would be okay by me. We all want the bank vault type safe and room to store our guns but that just cant always be done.
If you go the locker route make sure it is the type that can be padlocked. I used to help other kids in school by opening their locker for them, if it was the ones with the integral lock.

Get something to lock your guns. You'll feel better about it.

Joe

Denistonzp
08-15-2012, 11:23 PM
I absolutely agree with you. I don't particularly want to stash any guns. She just says I can't own any rifles without having a container to put then in, with a lock. That's why I was thinking a cheap locker like container.

franny365
08-16-2012, 12:46 AM
Its not much but should keep your boy out.

http://www.meijer.com/s/stack-on-security-plus-10-gun-security-cabinet-black/_/R-171642

Samurai Jack
08-16-2012, 06:47 AM
http://lockinggunracks.com/

Could try something like this

who dat
08-16-2012, 07:33 AM
This is also an opportunity for you to get your kid's school to make the Eddie Eagle gun safety program available. It's available to every school in the country so don't let them refuse you.

See here: http://www.nrahq.org/safety/eddie/

Mike in Michigan
08-16-2012, 09:43 AM
Check out the aluminum diamond plate truck bed storage boxes at Tractor Supply Center, etc., or search Craigslist. Get one with full length lid. Line with carpet, equip with Goldenrod or install fixture with 25 watt (real) light bulb to control moisture. Boxes come with locking latches, additional security by adding hasps with padlocks. They are horizontal but can be secured to wall for upright access.

BENSTER
08-16-2012, 11:12 AM
Its not much but should keep your boy out.

hxxp://xxx.meijer.com/s/stack-on-security-plus-10-gun-security-cabinet-black/_/R-171642
I had something like this for years. Used four concrete anchors in the basement wall. although out wasn't "burglar proof", out would be stronger than the thin backside is a locker.
In contrast, how much is a low end "safe" from a big box store? $300 to $400. It seems like 130 could be a big chunck of $350.

Daniels
08-16-2012, 12:22 PM
What about just a simple trigger lock?

Denistonzp
08-16-2012, 12:25 PM
What about just a simple trigger lock?
Wife says it has to be in a locker/safe. It makes her more comfortable

Garymac
08-17-2012, 08:32 AM
I keep some of my old beaters in a school locker/w padlock. I keep some of my other guns in a Stack On type metal gun cabinets and my other guns in a safe. A school locker would work. The metal gun cabinets are fine for what you need.

I've seen the metal cabinets at Meijer's, Walmart etc for around $100 or less. Dunham's has 20% off coupons which you could probably use to get under $100 as well.

Revdrshad
08-19-2012, 08:58 PM
Just remember, anything hidden, can and will be found by your children. If you get something with a key, make sure you get some kind of combination lock box also to keep the key in...
There is NO place in your house that a key can't be found by a child. (Remember being a kid?)
Also, as a suggestion, once your kids are old enough, show them what's in the safe/locker while you supervise. It'll take the curiosity factor away.

langenc
11-12-2012, 08:55 PM
Might want to take the locker to a weld shop and have the bottom, sides and top tacked together. When I was in school I had gym equip stolen. Someone removed back and cleaned it out. Could also have two hasps tacked on so the the top/bottom cant be pried.

Some better lockers have latches at middle, top and bottom. That kind would have a pretty secure door. Not like a safe, of course but will keep most honest people, honest.

usmcpaul
11-15-2012, 07:37 PM
I have one of these and while it is not a real safe, it is very nice for the money and it was easy to install. I picked it up on sale about this time last year and I applied for an Amazon card, so it cost me 39.99 shipped. I will say that it is still worth the $69 they are asking for it now.

http://www.amazon.com/Stack-On-IWC-55-Full-Length-In-Wall-Cabinet/dp/B002TOKR6W/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_img_y

ductileiron98
11-15-2012, 08:32 PM
I just purchased a nice metal cabinet off of craigslist for $20. Heck, there were nicer ones for FREE but i did'nt want to drive to get them.