PDA

View Full Version : SB 1233 agent of county road commission allowed to carry

Tallbear
08-16-2012, 10:15 AM
SB 1233 of 2012 (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=2012-SB-1233)
Traffic control; traffic regulation; authorized agent of county road commission; allow to carry firearm under certain circumstances. Amends sec. 726c of 1949 PA 300 (MCL 257.726c).
Last Action: 8/15/2012 REFERRED TO COMMITTEE ON TRANSPORTATION

kpearce
08-16-2012, 04:55 PM
NO!

shortbuss
08-16-2012, 05:04 PM
WTF seriously?

brass hat
08-16-2012, 07:04 PM
So what is this all about? is it what it seems,now we will have a bunch of road workers running around playing sheriff? Why would anyone think this is a good idea?

Quantum007
08-16-2012, 07:08 PM
Such a BAD IDEA!!!!!!

kpearce
08-16-2012, 08:49 PM
This is just another "special class" of people who want special treatment.

These special classes of people seem to have a way to get their stuff through without many problems. How come we gun owners cant do the same?

Divegeek
08-17-2012, 08:21 AM
Did you guys actually read this? I am not for all these special classes either, but this isn't a new special class. These law enforcement officers (commercial trucking) already could carry. This bill just clarifies it.

The counties have already had their own version of the motor carrier officers for years. In order to carry they must either be an MCOLES certified officer, or have a CPL. No special exemptions as to where they can carry either.

luckless
08-17-2012, 04:55 PM
Did you guys actually read this? I am not for all these special classes either, but this isn't a new special class. These law enforcement officers (commercial trucking) already could carry. This bill just clarifies it.

The counties have already had their own version of the motor carrier officers for years. In order to carry they must either be an MCOLES certified officer, or have a CPL. No special exemptions as to where they can carry either.
Yep, read it. It doesn't do anything to reduce the size of government or back government out of my life. I am against it.

G22
08-17-2012, 05:46 PM

And it needs to be clarified why???

If they can already do it why waste ANY time or effort on it???

This is :bs:

You mark my words. Bieda will vote for this and against the average citizen again like he did on HB5225

G22
08-17-2012, 05:49 PM
double tap

Flash-hider
08-18-2012, 04:59 PM
It looks like it is clarifying the requirements of a county road commission agent to carry a gun. It also addresses the conceal carry of the agent. It also strikes out words like "shall" and replace it with "require".

My quess is that some CRC's were not on the up & up when they were allowing their "agents" to carry a firearm.

Tallbear
08-18-2012, 05:56 PM
And it needs to be clarified why???

If they can already do it why waste ANY time or effort on it???

This is :bs:

You mark my words. Bieda will vote for this and against the average citizen again like he did on HB5225

Gov't agencies can restrict the carry of firearms "while on the job". This bill allows them to carry concealed "by law".

luckless
08-19-2012, 07:44 AM
Gov't agencies can restrict the carry of firearms "while on the job". This bill allows them to carry concealed "by law".
What about other county agencies like the Health Department? What I read looks like it only refers to the county road commission.

Tallbear
08-19-2012, 08:10 AM
What about other county agencies like the Health Department? What I read looks like it only refers to the county road commission.

Each dept. is separate and would need to do the same thing the CRC employees did by having their rep. submit a bill.

The dept. can authorize their employees to carry but don't (Civil Service Commission allows this ) because "guns are scary and people that carry guns are even scarier".

I've been through this with the DNR. Tried working with the law division to allow workers to carry when in remote areas and was told "won't happen".

G22
08-19-2012, 01:47 PM

It's always a "them" and never an "us".

My employer can also restrict the carry of firearms "while on the job".

Where is "our" bill that allows "us" to carry concealed "by law"?

It still wreaks of "special" privileges for "special" classes and I do not support it.

71commander
08-22-2012, 06:00 AM
It's always a "them" and never an "us".

My employer can also restrict the carry of firearms "while on the job".

Where is "our" bill that allows "us" to carry concealed "by law"?

It still wreaks of "special" privileges for "special" classes and I do not support it.

Get you rep to introduce it, if you work for a Government entity.

If you work in the private sector and are unionized, negotiate it. If you're salary, get it put into your employment agreement.

G22
08-22-2012, 08:10 AM
Get you rep to introduce it, if you work for a Government entity.

If you work in the private sector and are unionized, negotiate it. If you're salary, get it put into your employment agreement.

I don't work directly for the gov and my reps couldn't care less about the average citizens.

Good luck getting any union support for carrying firearms.

At Will employment comes to mind for salaried employees when asking your company to allow firearms in their employment agreement. Better not be too attached to your job before bringing that up.

I guess the average citizen will just have to wait until all the special classes get what they want. I'm sure after that they will be more than happy to fight for us...

fbuckner
08-23-2012, 04:04 PM
The Road Comission around here builds and maintains roads. The DOT has theyre own people called weighmasters and here in Michigan they are usually State police. Now in Livingston county we have a deputy who drives around with his scales. So why create a waste of time bill and who intheir right and sane mind would support this tripe. Lansing wastes so much time on BS it isnt even funny.

Flash-hider
08-23-2012, 04:26 PM
The Road Comission around here builds and maintains roads. The DOT has theyre own people called weighmasters and here in Michigan they are usually State police. Now in Livingston county we have a deputy who drives around with his scales. So why create a waste of time bill and who intheir right and sane mind would support this tripe. Lansing wastes so much time on BS it isnt even funny.

We in Berrien County have our own dedicated weighmaster for several years now. He's even ticketed the county road commission trucks for being over weight with salt. He has always open carried and is former LEO. As far as the RC maintaining roads that is debatable.