PDA

View Full Version : Cannon or Liberty safe

larryl
08-21-2012, 08:22 AM
Which safe manufacturer is better in terms of quality?

costanza
08-21-2012, 04:21 PM
Which safe manufacturer is better in terms of quality?
Larry:
I think they are very comparable, based on the multitude of online reviews I read before deciding on my Cannon TS 6040 from Tractor Supply. I also looked seriously at the Stack-on 36 gun safe at Dunham's, which recieved great reviews. I really like my Cannon, but if I could change one thing, it would be the electronic lock. (Two things...a door that opens past 90 degrees!) The lock works great now, but if there are problems, it will be expensive to repair. The dial combo units do not wear out or fail. I do like the pass-thru electric and USB ports in the rear. It is 600+ pounds, so it isn't going anywhere easily. If Gander has a sale, a Liberty is a great deal. Shop around at Cabela's, Dick's Tractor Supply, and Gander and see what features they have that you like. Take your time! You are the one that has to be satisfied, not me or the rest of us.
Regards,
Costanza

LongAction
08-24-2012, 09:31 PM
It all depends on the model.... Pick a few models and/or budget you plan on spending and we can help you out....

larryl
08-26-2012, 09:02 PM
Got a great deal on a Liberty at Cabelas.

diesel3500
08-29-2012, 07:28 AM
I got a liberty from cabelas. I am very pleased with it. Has interior lighting, a plug for dehumidifier rod if you choose to use one, and has the door organizer which I love. My safe holds 48 long guns. I have about 30 in it right now and I will say that I think 48 is pushing it. But overall I love the safe.

MSGT
08-30-2012, 07:46 AM
TSC has a24 gun Cannon for $449.99 lifetime warranty.

costanza
08-30-2012, 12:27 PM
TSC has a24 gun Cannon for $449.99 lifetime warranty.
It looks like a good safe. I would recommend TSC without question. They were great to deal with(New Haven/Milford store).
Regards,
Costanza

MSGT
08-31-2012, 04:32 PM
It looks like a good safe. I would recommend TSC without question. They were great to deal with(New Haven/Milford store).
Regards,
Costanza

Gull Rd. store in Kzoo has one less than they did:woohoo1:

dondulah
09-08-2012, 06:53 AM
They are usually more expensive but Liberty makes a better quality made in the USA safe.

costanza
09-08-2012, 08:49 AM
Double post...sorry!

costanza
09-08-2012, 08:51 AM
They are usually more expensive but Liberty makes a better quality made in the USA safe.
Good point about being made in the USA. I was in a hurry to buy after a break-in at my home, and should have bought a US made safe. Sadly, I have no idea or do not remember where my Cannon was made...I suspect Mexico. I don't think it could be China. Too expensive to ship is my guess. I am suprised that the manufacturing (and especially the shipping cost) of a 600 pound safe still makes it cheaper to produce in a foreign country than to manufacture it here. Obviously, interstate shipping still has to be factored in...but is foreign labor THAT cheap?

Also, the only thing I worry about with this Cannon is the electronic combo lock. I wish I had gotten a dial combo lock, but did not. Has anyone had issues with their electronic locks, or know who to call if I have an issue?
Regards,
Costanza

hulettis
09-08-2012, 03:20 PM
does anyone know if the 449 cannon has the internal power plugs for a dehumidifier ?

MSGT
09-08-2012, 05:29 PM
Mine does not.

benzy2
09-09-2012, 02:25 AM
Does anyone have any specific reasoning as to why Liberty is a better safe? Just trying to do my research and would like to hear more than because of it's place of manufacture.

costanza
09-10-2012, 07:15 AM
Does anyone have any specific reasoning as to why Liberty is a better safe? Just trying to do my research and would like to hear more than because of it's place of manufacture.
Benzy2:
I, as a Cannon owner, really like my safe. But, some of the reasons the Liberty might be considered a better safe could be the combo dial lock rather than the digital lock, and, I believe, the locking door rods on the Liberty safe secure the door in three directions(up, down, and to the side), while the Cannon only secures the door to the side(with very large rods). Perhaps someone can elaborate on this, as I do not know much about the Liberty models...
Regards,
Costanza

JDG
09-10-2012, 04:05 PM
A top of the line Cannon, may very well be better than a entry level Liberty. Its hard to compare the two, unless you set a dollar amount, and see what you get with each company. I have a Remington safe from Dunhams, made by Liberty(Liberty warranty papers), made in the USA, and couldn't be happier. The electronic lock works great.

Ultra
09-10-2012, 06:36 PM
Ft Knox is mine. I think they make the best and they are made on USA.

Rich1028
09-12-2012, 07:54 PM
whats everyone think of this one?
Liberty Timber Ridge TR64 64-Gun Safe
http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Liberty-Timber-Ridge-TR64-64-Gun-Safe-Electronic-Lock-Textured-Granite-Chrome&i=612878&aID=510J7B&merchID=4006

Pond Scum
09-13-2012, 04:28 PM
I have the Liberty Fat Boy with the Gander Mountain brand lable on it.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Liberty-Fatboy-LF64-64-Gun-Safe-Elec-Lock-Gray-Marble-Gloss-Black-Chrome&i=438246&str=fatboy&merchID=4005

I bought it on sale as GM was getting out of putting their names on the safes .... $1399 in the store. I have been very happy with it ... I like the lower profile as it fit right in a low section of the basement. I think the liberty quality is excellent ..... Ft Knox is also top of the line ... IMO.

larryl
11-13-2012, 01:09 PM
I bought the Liberty ProVault from Cabelas. I got a amazing price on it and am very satisfied. Dollar per dollar I web searched and the Liberty was the best buy.

Jackam
11-13-2012, 03:51 PM
I bought the Liberty ProVault from Cabelas. I got a amazing price on it and am very satisfied. Dollar per dollar I web searched and the Liberty was the best buy.

You will never be sorry! After speaking with a man at the SHOT show last year that had his safe replaced by Liberty after a fire, I started checking into the guarantees from various mfgs. Liberty had them all beat.

larryl
11-13-2012, 05:06 PM
You will never be sorry! After speaking with a man at the SHOT show last year that had his safe replaced by Liberty after a fire, I started checking into the guarantees from various mfgs. Liberty had them all beat.

Thats great to hear. What is SHOT?

Roundballer
11-13-2012, 05:13 PM
Thats great to hear. What is SHOT?
It is an annual industry (Firearms and such) show where new products are introduced. All of the major manufacturers are there.

ETA:

http://www.shotshow.org/